Dallas Athletes
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 19s
Overall Rank = 30/210
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/31
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:50 for a quick shower. Then some PB toast, a Blueberry Clif bar, and my new secret weapon - 5 Hour Energy. Did it really work? Dunno. But after 5 hours of sleep, I was willing to try anything.

Got to the race site in plenty to time. As soon as we pulled up we found Derek and Laurie, and the first thing we heard was "Do you have an extra helmet?" Yikes. Luckily we found one for her.

Found a sweet rack in transition, then met up with the plethora of BTers after my first trip to the portajohn. Then I headed back to get my transition area set up. That was odd. All I had to do was set out my bike shoes and my helmet.
Event warmup:

Did about a 10 minute warmup jog with Steve and then got in line for the john again. There were definitely not enough for as many people that were there.

Did some light stretching, tried to pretend I didn't know Shannon and Laurie, who were dressed to the 9s.

Steve and I walked around for a while trying to figure out where the race was actually going to start.
Run
  • 14m 50s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it out pretty easy. Forced myself to stay in Zone 3.

They were supposed to start the Sprint 30 minutes after us, but it was more like 10 minutes, because I had to wade through lots of Sprint athletes. Very crowded.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I paced myself ok and didn't blow myself up like I was afraid of. Legs felt pretty good to start the bike leg.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I don't give a flip about transitions. Enough said.

Care?
Bike
  • 1h 08m 54s
  • 23.44 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Way crowded from the start. There were still people running on the right side of the road, so we rode on the left. That, then, begs the question, do you pass on the right or left if you are on the opposite side of the road? Apparently everyone else had the same question, as it was basically a free for all from transition to the park exit.

Once out of the park, it was still very crowded. The early wave Sprinters were out on the course as well as the Oly. Good news was that it gave me some motivation to pass people up, but it was still very crowded. Felt great on the way out. Lots of hills, but I was able to spin up them pretty easily.

Hit the turnaround and there was a slight headwind. Really started to watch my cadence at during this stage, keeping it between 85 and 105. Kept playing with some guy on a Cannondale. I would spin up the hills and pass him, then he would pass me going down them. Then we came to the Oly turnoff and he went straight as I turned left. Oh well. So long friend.

That's when the course got nasty. We turned off onto some random county road. I knew it was a bad sign when all I could see was loose gravel as I turned off. For the next few miles (seemed like 100 miles), it was nothing but dodging potholes, bumps, gravel. Worst stretch of road I've ridden on. At least they were well marked. Still, I was almost ready to DNF. My shoulders and elbows were killing me.

Finally we got out on the main road again and I started feeling better. Laughed to a guy as I passed him that we should turn around and ride that stretch again.

Then it was back to the park road again and back to transition. Glad that was over.

Nutrition: Aerobottle with 1 serving of Inifinit, 20oz Polar bottle, 1 Powergel at mile 20.

I rode a pretty smart race. I pushed without killing myself, and I was able to joke about the rough parts.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Meh.

Meh.
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I'll divide this part up into 2 sections: My race, and the race course.

As for my race, it's amazing what happens when you use your HRM. I ran the first 2 miles as slow as my legs would let me, even starting to walk when I got into Z4. Walked the aid stations and did 2 cups of water at each. Had a gel with me, but didn't use it. Felt like I would cramp up with any more calories.

The first 2 miles went by fine, then I opened it up a little bit on mile 3. It was hot! I really started passing people at this point. Met Aaron, David (Barron), and David (Gillen) on their way back. Hit the turnaround feeling ok. Drank a cup of water and poured another over my head. Wanted to drop the hammer here, but I held back a little bit. Still had 3 miles to go. Easy there. Met Steve on his way out onto the road and made some kind of comment. I don't even remember what I said. Either something about the heat or the bike course. I dunno.

Did my usual motivation trick, trying to pass double digits on the way back. There weren't that many people in front of me apparently, so that was tough. Once I got back into the park and caught up with the Sprint folks, it was easy to go. Think the final tally was 27, but most of those were Sprint folks. I figure 12 of them were Oly athletes.

Once I hit the trails again I was flying. Another drink of water, another water shower, and I was ready to go. Didn't even look at my HR number, just did a few distance checks. I was feeling great and was reeling folks in like crazy. Saw Steve (Webster) and Marcy on their way out. Then I caught David (Gillen) with about 3/4 of a mile to go. We had a few words and then I kept going.

Finally hit the finish line. Felt like I could have kept going, but was glad it was done. My socks were drenched.

Now, the race course. This course was confusing. Once on the trail, there was a left turn at an aid station that was basically a 1/4 mile out and back, then back to the aid station again and take a left. But people were coming from all different directions so it was hard to tell what was going on. This intersection was even worse on the way back. They were telling us to go "straight" here, but from the angle I was coming from, straight was not straight. I had to slow down and try to figure out which way they were pointing.

Next, they were telling us to run on the left side of the trail, which is completely opposite of how any normal runner would run. It's always stay right, pass left. Silly planning.

Next, at one point in the race, here's what I saw - On a 2 lane park road there was 2 way running traffic in the left lane, people still coming in from the bike course in the right lane, and then vehicles driving (not too slowly either) in the middle of the road. That's not safe.

Finally, the aid stations. You have to be kidding me. There was the mindjob aid station that you passed twice in the first mile, then one at the 5K turnaround. After that, there was nothing from the 5K to the 10K turnaround. And you only passed it once. So you have a 1.5 mile stretch with no shade and no water. Then you only pass the station once rather than twice. Then it's another 1.5 miles of hot before more water. More poor planning.

Nothing. I executed my race plan perfectly. Rather than going out early and dying at the end, I started slow and got faster and faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, watermelon, some of the nasty vitamin water crap that DA gives out at their races, and more watermelon.

Declined the nachos. Who the heck would want nachos after a race? Gross.

After walking around and changing into sandals, grabbed a slice or two of pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Socks. I don't ride in socks normally, but I didn't feel like taking them off after a 2 mile run only to put them back on for the "real" run. So of course my socks and shoes were drenched. Luckily I didn't prune.

Otherwsie, the rough section of the bike course and the totally jacked up run course.

Event comments:

What can I say that hasn't been said? Yes, it's not DA's fault that the swim was cancelled, but I am just underwhelmed with this race and DA in general.

Unannounced cancellation of the HIM race
Poor communication about the race in general
DA's continued crappy shirts and swag
Race website mentioned finisher's medals but none were seen
Insufficient number of portajohns for the number of racers
Terrible conditions on the bike course
Ridiculous run course
Overall lack of detail on race traffic flow, safety and timing of the event.

I'm done with Dallas Athletes events.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:50 | 02 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/31
Overall: 68/210
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 7:19, HR 163 Mile 2: 7:30, HR 171
Course: Simple out and back on the park road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:08:54 | 23.44 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/31
Overall: 59/210
Ave HR 161
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course. Fairly hilly. Basically the same course as the Sprint but instead of an out and back we took a loop into some nasty county roads. Lots of loose gravel, potholes, and bumps. Nasty course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/31
Overall: 17/210
Mile 1: 8:27, 166 HR Mile 2: 8:30, 166 HR Mile 3: 7:30, 173 HR Mile 4: 7:33, 179 HR Mile 5: 7:29, 183 HR Mile 6: 7:22, 183 HR
Course: Out and back. First and last 1.5 on shaded, concrete trails. The middle 5K was on a shadeless section of the bike course. Tough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-12 7:22 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2007-07-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #883896

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-13 7:56 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Great race, Andy.  I definitely could not keep up with you on the run.  You were flying!  Looks like you're in great shape for Redman, and your practice pacing in this race will help you there.   IMs are all about pacing and staying in your zone!
2007-07-13 8:20 AM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race.  Practicing your pacing on the bike and the run will definitely help you for Redman. 

TJ

2007-07-13 9:44 AM

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there.. way to stick have a plan and stick to it.. your transitions are pretty good for someone that doesn't care
2007-07-13 7:30 PM

Regular
Great job babe!!!  I'm really proud of you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed