United States
Pikes Peak Road Runners
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 11s
Overall Rank = 35/35
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Partying. Went out Friday night with the girls from the gym. Whew. Had a ball. But stayed out late. Got home at around ten. Was serioulsy contemplating not going to my 8 a.m. start. The Nielsen Challenge is a race that happens every first Saturday of the month. It's free and you can use it to chart your progress. I was aching from a killer workout on Thursday and being a little punk. Finally got to sleep after talking on the phone until about midnight. Then the phone rang at 2 a.m. I mean geez who calls someone at 2 a.m. My momma always told me you never call someone before 10 a.m. and never call anyone after 10 p.m. Got rid of the crazy caller and went back to sleep.
Woke up at 7:38 a.m. Layed in the bed and thought. OK, this is the time that separates the men from the boys. Dig deep girl. Get up. And I rolled out of bed, packed my gym bag and was out the door. Got to the race start in plenty of time.
Event warmup:

Did a 1/2 mile run for the first time before my run. I never run before a race because I'm afraid I'm going to use up all my energy before game time. But this time I did a light jog and it was great because it helped me set pace.
Run
  • 26m 11s
  • 2 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for this race was to two-fold - Run the race in less than 20 minutes. And run the entire race, to not walk once. I started out at a good pace. Then settled in the Back of the Pack with a nice old lady who basically talked to me the whole time. It was nice to run with her because she didn't let me stop but she also chatted a bit too much and after the .5 mile turnaround I just lept ahead of her. I knew when I passed the one mile marker at 13 that I wasn't going to make my time of 20 minutes. So I concetrated on running the entire two miles. I've done this race several times and I've never run the entire two miles before. I finally did it! I was so excited. I wasn't so bummed about my time. I RAN two miles nonstop outside averaging about 13 min a mile. That's huge for me since I was a 15-16 min miler and always a walk/runner. Never a run. This is so great. I'm so excited.
What would you do differently?:

Not be so chatty and really put an effort into it for the entire race.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked waited around for my time and then went to the gym.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My big butt. My pace.

Event comments:

Since I started training for a tri I've known that the thing that I had to work on most was running. So I've been using this race to gauge my progress. And it's been wonderful. I mean I run with folks who can run the course twice in the time it takes me to run it once but they are all supported and nice and seem genuinely glad I'm there. (Even though I got beat by an 81 year old!!!!) But this is the a great race and I'm going to make it my goal to do it every month in the off season. Woo Hoo. I'm finally a runner!

Last updated: 2004-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:11 | 02 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/35
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run two miles in a loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-10-03 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Nielsen Challenge

2004-10-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #68930

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Nielsen Challenge
Way to go Ovetta - congrats on making your goal of running the 2 miles!!! You rock

That's cool that you have a monthly race to use to chart your progress - I need to find something like that in Denver.
2004-10-04 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Aweome job O!  There's no going back to walk/running now!  And isn't that about the pace that coredump had on his Oly run - you'll be able to smoke that flatlander next year! 
2004-10-04 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Good for you! 13 minute miles - I am sooooo jealous. Like you, I'm 'forcing' myself to do a couple of 5k races this fall/winter in order to prove to myself that I enjoy running as much as I do cycling and swimming and it seems to be working so far... Nice to see that I'm not the only crazy person with that idea.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-04 12:11 PM
2004-10-04 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Yeppers I am a great runner. I keep telling myself. I just signed up for a 5K on Oct. 30. Goal - run all 3.1 miles in less than 40. It's amazing that someone would covet my 13-minute mile. Especially when most of the people who run this race are finished in 13 minutes! Just goes to show you that life should be competative without being comparative! Keep at it Scuba Punk you're going to be a stylin' fast runner yet.

Edited by infosteward 2004-10-04 11:14 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nielsen Challenge Rss Feed