General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Triathlon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 03m 39s
Overall Rank = 172/238
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

Had coffee, oatmeal, a power bar and water in the hours leading up to the race. (For supper the night before I had an Ensure and Gatoraide after our mongo pot luck at lunch). Set up our stuff all in a row, peed like a race horse. Twice. Then quickly threw on the wetsuit as it was suddenly very close to our start time.
Event warmup:

Jogged from Transition to the far boat ramp where the swim started.
Swim
  • 35m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

As we waded into the water waist high and are chit-chatting, I hear "10 seconds." Before I can ask "What did he say?" "10 Seconds!!!" The gun goes off and I do not have my goggles down yet, or swim cap adjusted across the top of them, or HR watch ready! CRAP! I kind of wanted to start in the middle, but here I was floundering at the back again. I quickly hit my HR watch 3 times hoping that is what I needed to do to start it.
I started swimming keeping in mind that I wasn't going to be able to breathe, but that I could do it, and to not freak out. This race had the wort pummling action taking place that I have ever had to deal with. JUST as I was getting in the zone and stroking well, and breathing well WHAM!!! And we were in the back with PLENTY of room!! DOOD! Get the heck away from me!!!! I hobbled over the rocks out of the water and ran up the ramp and was not out of breath. Timing mat was at the top. I felt really good about my swim, lack of dog paddling and freak out, and was looking forward to checking my HR watch to a) see if it actually started, and b) if so...what was my time? I surely had to have improved over Show Low. NO! 34 minutes!! Show low was 30!!! WTF???? I started telling myself that maybe it was long, or Show Low was short, becuase they were pretty apples to apples races in that they are both at high elevation. (5,000+ and 7,000+ ft). So anyway...whatever...motor on.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get "in the zone" more. I did well rangling the voices in my head, but now I need to remember to "Oh! I am supposed to be swimming with form and power and regulated breathing!" When I dialed that in, it felt great!! So I need to do more of that!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

As I hit transition, Jen was right behind me!! She said she was next to me on the swim for the last half. She said that with my blue wetsuit I was easy to spot. I told her with her black one she could have been 1 of 200 people next to me! I had no clue!!
I somehow magicaly removed my wetsuit lickity split! Don't even remember doing it!!

Not much. I could always be faster, but I try to quickly do what I need to do, and whatever time that is, it is.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike. How do I talk about the bike without my head imploding? As Soon as I came out of transition and started shifting to find a happy gear, it starts shifting all over the place. I think it is just a one time thing, and as soon as the chain gets in, I'll be good. Yeah......wrong. My derailer was possesed by Satan! I would shift once, and it would go down like 8 rings. OR....my favorite...I would jsut be peddling along, or climbing a hill, and magically "chink, chink, chink" it would up shift into a really hard gear. I could NEVER get into the gear I actually needed, but rather was relagated to whatever gear my bike wanted to be in at that moment. Nice. My bike could have been jacked on a flat course. Noooo....had to wait for "Mountain Man!" GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! You have no idea how GRRRRR!!!! That aside, Jen caught up with me right after the sprint turn around and we basically did the bike together. That was great!! Lots of encouragement and she knew the course and what was coming. We pulled into tranition at the same time!!
Oh...and as I started the bike a guy in front of my spat twice into bike traffic (not on the ditch side) and didn't look either time. I'm a spitter too, but I look first and I try to spit towards the ditch. I come up on him to pass him and I tap him on the shoulder and say "You need to look before you spit, buddy!" And as he turns, it's our friend Steve!!! We both laughed.
OH! But I did clock a new land/speed record for me. 42.1. In aero bars (Scary!...but I forgot to get into my drops where my breaks are! DOH!)

Ummm....kick my bike in the derailer and show it who's boss!!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

In T2 I had to wrap and tie my sweatband around my thigh just above my knee, and then strap my IT Band brace over that. Then, as I tried to tie my shoes the bunny ears just would not go in the hole!! Again, not the speediest of transitions, but I just do what I need to as quickly as possible.

Not fumble my laces and not have to wear a knee brace!
Run
  • 1h 00m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

It was about a 1.2 mile straight away until you have to turn a corner and climb up a mountain switch back. It's like a 10% grade or some crap. As I am mentally telling myself that up there at the top it turns and will be flat again, I look over my left shoulder and eye the next switch back which is even longer!! "Holy Sh*t!" just flew out of my mouth. I think it's about 1.5 miles up this straight uphill crap. Then a little trail run and a turn around. Going back down the switch back was much better!!! My knee was holding up, but I was suffering from lack of running these past 3 months while trying to let my knee heal. As I got to the bottom and knew I had just over a mile to go, I checked my watch and knew I could not make my 3 hour goal. BUT, I could see how close I could come to it. So I hammered down and really pushed. There was a girl in front of me who I had been watching since decending the hill. She was pretty far in front of me, but I thought if I used her as my rabbit I could maybe catch her. As we rounded the driveway to the finish I see that if I really pour on the power I can sprint her down and just pass her before the finish. She had no idea I was coming up on her. I think it was a good move because in the standings the woman right behind me in my age group finished 3 seconds after me, so that had to have been her. Her age had rubbed off her leg, so I had no idea she was in my AG. Cool!!!

Had better run fitness. Since my knee is almost 100% I need to really start focusing on my running, and building back up that speed and edurance I used to have.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and coffee cup and walked. Once my HR was normal I took my stuff off at transition. Made it back to the group that was waiting at the finish in time to see Jen finish the run. It was a great day for all the BT ESCKTC peeps!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to knee injury, bike gear shifting issues, and high altitude. (Take your pick).

Event comments:

It was a beautiful and challenging course. They could have used a few more volunteers, and a louder PA system, but overall it was nice.
I beat my Show Low time by 25:35 (see what NOT walking on the run will do?) so I am very pleased with that.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:33 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/238
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: From the far boat ramp slightly left and out around a buoy, then straight to a far buoy, then sort of a diagonal into the near boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:40 | 24.85 miles | 18.26 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Out and back with hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:10 | 06.21 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Aprox 1.2 mile of flat, 1.5 mile of insane uphill, .6 mile of flat trail, 1.5 of downhill, and 1.2 of flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 8:53 PM

Pro
AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance

This first pic is the ESCKTC. See my blog for a bigger pic and names.

Second pic is me trying to pour on the power and grunt out a speedy finish.

Third is my taking my rabbit just before the finnish line!

Edited by StandsWithFist 2007-07-22 8:54 PM

2007-07-22 10:02 PM
in reply to: #896200

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Cool that you caught that rabbit. I had them flying by me left and right on the whole run

Nice race. Instead of kicking your bike I'd kick the person who gave it a tune up! Maybe it's time to look for another shop...
2007-07-22 10:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Great race for you.  You really kicked it up from Show Low!!  Way to go.  Enjoyed the pictures.
2007-07-22 11:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-23 12:31 AM

Master

I know you've been having to do without very much running for a few months now, but you kept yourself in great condition and really did a great job!

After seeing the determined look on your face at the finish, I'd hate to be the person standing in your way!

These races test a lot more than just your swimming/biking/running skills.  They're a test of will and determination as well.  You obviously passed all the tests thrown at you! 

2007-07-23 7:56 AM

Master
Falls Church, VA

Great race.

No freaking out on the swim - excellent.

Bike has a mind of its own - yuk, stupid bike.

No knee pain on run - also excellent.

2007-07-23 9:24 AM

Expert
Great job T! After having problems all through the race you really pulled it all together and had a really great race. Not to mention the crazy elevation and the hill climb run. I'm really impressed with how far you've come in your swimming! It's awesome. Congratulations!
2007-07-23 12:10 PM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job - think about how fast you'll be now that you can actually train normally for the run!
2007-07-23 2:59 PM

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia

Good Job...That is great that you took 25 min off. You get that knee healthly and can knock some more time off

2007-07-23 4:11 PM

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Here's to good times at the race and good race times!

2007-07-23 5:53 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
FUN FUN FUN weekend! I had a GREAT time riding with you and seeing all of ESCKTC, I love our lil group makes races not as scary having familiar faces. It was so funny swimming, breath "Hi Tanya" breath, "Hi Tanya!" I love your BLUE SUIT! Great job on not freaking out and I am secretly glad someone else understands my "huh?" About feeling GOOD on the swim but having an off time? HMMM.

AWESOME RUN!!! You had a really good race, tons to be proud of! Am already looking forward to it next year!!

2007-07-25 9:47 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Another great race T! You did awesome and you ran great. I'm so glad your knee held up and you had such a good time!

I love the pics- once again you captured the whole experience. Glad the BT/ESKC house was so much fun  

2007-07-25 12:22 PM

Expert
Excellent race despite the derailler problems.  It's great to hear that your knee held up too.  Sounds like things are starting to fall in place for you
2007-07-25 2:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Great race; way to deal with the always present "race day issues"!
2007-07-27 8:53 AM

Veteran
King George, VA

Nicely done!  Sucks about the gearing, but it looks like you did very well!  Awesome!  Keep it up, T!

David

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed