General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 48s
Overall Rank = 597/732
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 4:02 got ready and ate a bagel with peanut butter and a gatorade. went to go pick up mary at my mom's house. when we got to the race i actually said to mary "are you sure it is today?" (jokingly) because no one was there yet, we pulled into the lot and were only the 16th car there but then saw the huge line of cars as we got our stuff out. chatted briefly with the guy next to us and then felt bad for the guy next to him because he pulled his bike off the car and the chain came off, yikes! went over to transition, got body marked and started setting up. chatted with all the women around us, very nice bunch. and waited for our cousin christina to show up, it was her first race. helped christina set up in the first timer's row and gave a few pointers to those around her (they asked, i wasn't being a know-it-all)
Event warmup:

jumped in the lake for about a 100 meter warm up. water felt good, warm and murky but good. took a carb boom gel.
Swim
  • 12m 9s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 24s / 100 meters
Comments:

had a little bit of a hard time finding a space to swim. i started a little further back but hit the group sooner than i thought. i swam over a few people especially a breast stroker who i couldn't get away from and she kept kicking me in the stomach. i kind of purposefully dunked her to get past her, oops. i was a little disappointed with this time, it should have been closer to 10 minutes. my siting was good but the congestion was bad.
What would you do differently?:

start at the front of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

i felt pretty good about this. it was faster than most T1 times for me.

RUN fatster with my bike out of the transition area
Bike
  • 47m 47s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

i need to stop being such a spaz! i did not go aero because i was constantly in a pack of people and i felt like i would be too wobbly. i passed more people than i ever have before in a race. one lady i kept jocking for position with actually said "if your gonna pass hon, do it now" because i was loosing my mojo and just staying to her left. i kicked it up and then didn't see her again until she passed me on the run. i had never been in a race with so many officials and got bugged out by the motorcycle running next to me and the little man on the back with his pad and pen and black and white striped shirt.

i need to become one with lola and get aero and shift gears more appropriately.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

not too bad. finally got a set of yanks so that helped. the chick next to me made a little mess out of my spot but whatever.

NOT bother with a t-shirt for the run, it is out of pure i-hate my-body-anyway-and-a-tri-suit-makes-it-worse attitude. i just saw the pictures that mary's husband took and the t-shirts helps me look not bit slimmer so at least i will slim my T2 time by bagging it
Run
  • 37m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

i like the way they counted down the miles rather up, 3 more miles to go, 1 more mile to go, it made me feel like i was accomplishing something. took my bike gel here because i was too crowded to attempt it on the bike. i knew i was going slow, it took me a while to get my legs under me. but i did keep running, no walk breaks. i was passed and passed and passed. it does a little something to you when you are passed by so many people and so many older than you (everyone's age was on their right calf). after i hit the loop around i saw mary, high fived her and told her she better catch me. i did sort of keep looking over my shoulder for her because i thought it would be so cool to cross the line with her. i told myself that i would just keep up with her when she caught me even if i needed oxygen at the finish line. when i hit the 1/4 mile mark though i gave up on that and just gunned it as hard as i could. heard the family cheering and booked down the chute.

train harder on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

hugs and kisses with family and friends. got adjusted by a chiropractor in the massage area. ate the yummy pizza and danced the cotton eyed joe with cate in the grass.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i'm still fat. i need to be more comfortable on the bike.

Event comments:

this was an awesome race and so close to home. well organized and fun!

Last updated: 2006-12-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:09 | 500 meters | 02m 24s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 386/732
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: diagonally out and then left at a buoy and in
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:47 | 13.5 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Overall: 530/732
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: the course was pretty easy, no real hills, some inclines. one freaky little turn around that sucked the speed right out of me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:25 | 03.11 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 681/732
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back loop through the park. very shaded. lots of water stops that also had heed (whatever the heck that is)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-07-23 3:08 PM
in reply to: #897442

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance

yay! i get to be the first to say (on your RR) that you ROCK!!!

you were amazing yesterday and i have the pictures to prove it!

(njstatecarolswim.jpg)

(njstatecarolme.jpg)

(njstatecarolmomme.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
njstatecarolswim.jpg (33KB - 60 downloads)
njstatecarolme.jpg (46KB - 53 downloads)
njstatecarolmomme.jpg (40KB - 51 downloads)
2007-07-23 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
OK, girlfriend - what you need is some serious self-love...you're not "still fat", you're FABULOUS!!!

You had a great swim especially given the, ahem, obstacles you had to swim over. You passed more people on the bike than ever before. And you finished your run strong. FANTASTIC JOB!!!

No body looks good in a tri-suit. I promise. (Really, I tell myself this every night...)

YOU ROCK!

Kristen

Edited to add: Mary was posting at the same time I was...pictures don't lie, you are fabulous!

Edited by enders_shadow 2007-07-23 3:28 PM
2007-07-23 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
You did a fantastic job and should be extremely proud. You look great in a tri suit!!! It must be great to be able to do this with your sisters.
2007-07-24 6:27 AM

User image

Master
CT

Great job Carol!! Cut yourself some slack and admit that you look pretty good in that tri suit and just maybe you kicked some butt on the swim and the bike!!

Congrats on a great race!  

2007-07-24 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran

I am going to join the "cut yourself some slack" crowd here!!! 

Your swim was really good.  Open water w/ a bunch of extra bodies in the way is always a challenge - don't stress over the two minutes.  I don't know a spaz that can average almost 17 mph on the bike - you did awesome.  Think how many people you passed.  AND you look cute in the tri suit, Mary has posted the pics to prove it.  I know how you feel about getting passed on the run (I am so NOT a runner) but you never walked, and I guarentee you there were people that did and it got you all the way to the finish line (w/out puking I might add).  So that part goes in the books as a success too.

You had an awesome race  - take some time to enjoy your accomplishments!!!!

2007-07-24 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
girl you need some new glasses...YOU ARE NOT FAT! When i look this good in my trisuit i will send you pictures and gladly change my avatar for them. YOU ARE NOT SLOW in the run...try getting passed by the 6 years old...that started 40 minutes after you (yup i am munching hard on that humble pie).You ran an awsome race, be proud and bank on it  to use it for fuel this winter while you train to kick a$$ in the 08 summer.
2007-07-25 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran

you all know that mary is the one in the blue suit right????? i'm the before shot (ha ha)

Edited by mosc11 2007-07-25 7:32 AM
2007-07-26 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job, Carol! You had a great race and I love the pictures! It must be awesome to race with family so often.
2007-07-26 2:54 PM

User image

Newberry
Way to go Carol.I like the fact that you enjoyed dunking someone in the swim.
2007-07-26 10:37 PM
in reply to: #902870

User image

Veteran

tigerrocker1969 - 2007-07-26 3:54 PM Way to go Carol.I like the fact that you enjoyed dunking someone in the swim.

only because she kept kicking me...or at least that is my story and i'm sticking to it! 

2007-07-27 9:17 AM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Congratulations! I was there last Sunday also and the swim was very crowded -- I kept getting kicked in the head . . . you went out and did it in good style! Well done and enjoy the buzz.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed