CGI Racing
75??F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 1s
Overall Rank = 318/650
Age Group = 4
Age Group Rank = 77/228
Pre-race routine:

Massive pasta and chicken night before. Woke up around 4am and had breakfast (oatmeal, banana, and coffee, my usual) Plan was to eat about 3 hours before race. Packed car, kissed doggies bye, and off I went. It felt good to be driving down the highway watching the sun rise...very pretty. Got to site 15 later then I had wanted and ended up halfway down the rack(bummer!) Took time setting up, jammed to soem tunes, took it all in.
Event warmup:

I didn't have a chance to ride my bike around, I had to get it serviced due to some tire issues. I wanted to run, but had to get a swim in before they closed off the lake to warm ups. So I swam around for about 15 minutes, gradually building to race pace. After I got out, I had over an hour till my wave. I stretched and then sat hugging my body to keep my body temp ok...I was freezing!!!
Swim
  • 28m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The lake was so damn murky, I literally couldn't see my outstretched hand in front of my face. Also, the waves were only 3 minutes apart. This caused me to catch at least 4 waves...which sucked. I bilateral breath and only site every 8 strokes. So before I would have a chance to pop up and see where I was and who was ahead of me...I would literally be on top of someone. That totally sucked and killed my momentum. I did that at least 5 times. I will say though that even with that, I felt I had a really strong swim and my sighting was on point! There were a few moments where people would swim into me and instead of backing down, I would just pull harder and kick my way to freedom. All in all, it was a great swim!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe pull harder???
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I love transitions, I do. I felt great in T1...no diziness from the swimm since I kicked like hell the last 300.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

So I hopped onto bike and imdiedatly my aerobottle comes shaking loose. WTF!?! I tried as hard as I could to get it re-attached and found myself actually holding onto it to keep from falling off. I did that for about a mile till I said to hell with it and chucked it into a field. After that, I settled in to an awesome groove. I really focused on shifting properly and keeping my cadence at 95. On the down hills, I put that bugger into hardest gear and kicked it out. Oddly, not many people were taking advantage of the downhills and were using it for rest and coasting time. I felt really strong on the bike, and got worried I would fry my legs, but figured I should just go for it. I had 3 gels while on bike and half my gaterade. I stopped drinking with about 4 miles to go. I felt the best I ever have on the bike today.

Relax a little more faster. I was just too worked up for the first 3 miles with all the turns and the areobottle incident. I wasn't treating it like a race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

God I really love transitions. This time I had unlatched my shoes and left them on pedals while I ran into transition barefoot. This greatly helped me get the feeling back into my numb feet. Ran out of T2 while putting visor and bib on.

nothing at all
Run
  • 58m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, here is where I lost it. I wouldn't go far as to say the wheels came off...but I was definetly hoping to do better on the run. My hydration was good, plan was to take some drink at every station and I did. I also dumped alot of H2O on myself to keep cool. Unfortunatly, I had only logged about 20 miles of running the past month due to my knee injury. And it showed. My knee did flair up, which caused me to stop and walk a few times. Also, mentally I just couldn't, or didn't want to push myself. I just did not want to run. I need to find a way to push through this. Towards the end, I had picked my pace up a bit and found my knee pain almost went away (note to self, run faster and knee doesn't hurt!) I then sprinted in to the finish. After I crossed finish line I began to dry heave and fell over. Luckily the medical folks were right there and dumped gallons of water on me, some went in my mouth, which I was sooo grateful for!

Not much I can do differently. I can't fix my knee until the fall, so the pain will be there until then. I guess I would just find a way to mentally push myself harder.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked over to swim start to get my t-shirt back, which was about 1/4 mile. It felt good to walk around in the sun. I had a few pieces of tomato pie, but was way more interested in the tri-colored water ice....YUM!!! I opted out of the massage cuz I just wanted to get home...wish I had got one though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee pain kept me from training like I wanted to over the past month, so my engine wasn't where I had hoped it would be. Also, the knee pain kept me from performing the way I had hoped during the run portion. Otherwise, I hit all my projected goals for my first Olympic tri.

Event comments:

I really loved this race from start to finish. I pused myself pretty hard, which I wanted to do. I'm going to work harder on breaking down the mental barriers I have so I can push even harder in the future. I'm happy with my overall performance and really look forward to more olympic ditsance races.

Last updated: 2007-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/228
Overall: 153/650
Performance: Good
Suit: NONE
Course: It was an out and back type course. It looped around to the left then a sharp right into transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:33 | 24.85 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Overall: 374/650
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: It was a fairly flat course with a pretty decent amount of tunrs. GRRRRR
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:50 | 06.21 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Overall: 442/650
Performance: Average
Course: Paved trail run. Mostly shaded, not too crowded, very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-24 7:45 AM

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon

2007-07-24 10:42 AM
in reply to: #898526

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon

Congratulations on your first OLY!

You had a great swim and a terrific bike and I wouldn't shun that run speed on a 10K any day - espesh w/a knee issue.

I did the sprint... it was an amazing race - great weather... such fun!

2007-07-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #898526

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon
That is awesome for your first oly! That swim time is great for someone who freaked out in OW not too long ago. Hope no one saw you chuck the water bottle, that's a no-no. Are you sure the dry heaves weren't because of the thought of tomato pie? Ewww. A few more of these and you are going to be one fast racer!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon Rss Feed