United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 39s
Overall Rank = 50/90
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had normal breakfast this morning. Got to race site about 45 minutes before start. Checked in and put on my race number. That was kind of nice, being the first time to do that this year. :)
Event warmup:

I jogged a little to get my HR up some. Did some dynamic stretches. DId a few strides
Run
  • 27m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't really know what to expect for this race. Its my first race this year as I've had numerous injury problems. I just wanted to go out and have fun. I succeeded.

I held back a touch at the start, which was an uphill. I let it go for the downhill, letting gravity do the work for me. My first mile was 8:30 exactly.

Second mile flattened out and I eased into comfortable pace. HR settled into the mid 140s and I tried to keep my stride strong. There was a water station near the end of the second mile. I walked it and took some water. Second mile pace was 9:06.

Third mile to the end was along some pretty fields. Some beautiful wildflowers were along the road. Yellow and blue. I tried to maintain my form and keep pushing along. HR was around 150. The third mile was sub-9. Push hard to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I ran as good of race as I reasonably could.

Just thinking about it, this was my first true 5K since probably highschool. It was fun!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and caught my breath. I settled down pretty quickly. Drank some water and chatted with some fellow runners. The car was maybe a mile away, so I walked and jogged back to it. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts on the way home and treated myself to a chocolate covered donut! I needed replace carbs, right? :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've only been able to run for about 3 months as I've come off injury. I'm inthe process of building up my frequency and milage. I see this race as a barometer of my current run fitness. I've made a good bit of improvement over the last couple of months. But I have a lot of opportunity for improvement too. :)

Event comments:

A decent, local race. Reasonably well organized. Lots of volunteers.

Last updated: 2007-07-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:39 | 03.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/90
Performance: Good
Course: Relatively flat. Biggest hill was right at the start.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-28 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Cross Creek Community Challenge

2007-07-28 1:33 PM
in reply to: #905012

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Cross Creek Community Challenge

I didn't know this was your first 5K (aside from HS).  That's cool!  Glad you had fun, and you did a fantastic job!!  There are so many people who run all of the time who never have nearly as fast of a pace at that!  You should feel proud!! 

Go Donut!!  You deserve it!  Laughing

2007-07-28 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
You did great Rob, thinking about where you were 4 or 5 months ago.  Celebrate this milestone and enjoy it.  Aren't we all doing this for the donuts?
2007-07-28 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Donuttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt! i LOVE DONUTS.  Great job.
2007-07-30 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Congrats on the first race of the season!

You deserved the dunkin' donut!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cross Creek Community Challenge Rss Feed