United States
Blue Sky Sports
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 27m 17s
Overall Rank = 9/40
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 3am, down 2 cups of coffee. Load up gears into the car for the long drive to the race site. Arrived around 6:45am.
Event warmup:

Stretched and jog around the park.
Run
  • 23m 39s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was not going to log my normal pace time due to post surgery recovery and lack of training. So, I felt good with the time. I thought, my first half of the race pace was too fast hence suffered the last mile of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I must learn to set a better comfortable run pace earlier.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Bike
  • 36m 24s
  • 11.8 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

This sucks! The road was wet and dangerous due to plenty of course turns. I almost did a major mistake with my first turn in the race. A few seconds later I heard a cyclist crash behind me. That crash noise certainly told me to be cautious and cycle smartly. Overall, I did well in my cycling. I should clock in faster time but I probably lost about 4 minutes due to the wet turns (I slowed down to a halt while signalling the rest to pass me during all turns....) and the last mile's curvy course really did not make me feel comfortable in aero position -- again, played it cautiously. There were also too many cars/trucks/motorists in the bike course -- again, safety issue came to mind. All accidents/bad karma comes in three -- the first was the bike crash behind me, then immediately after that an idiot truck driver towing his precious ginormous boat forced himself our of the park entrance Park house without the regards of the cyclists' safety. I warned the rest yelling for attention -- braked just in time and not falling off my bike. One cyclist came to a very close proximity of the trucker. The driver was taking his own slow sweet time .... after that, the truck slowed everyone up. I decided to take a risk and overtook the truck -- an SUV was coming towards me -- avoided that car and I had the opportunity to flip a bird to the idiotic trucker. I know I suppose to be civil and courteous but the trucker almost created a very very bad day for a lot of us.

Nothing. I made a good decision to cycle smart and safely. I don't need another expensive medical bill. Just surviving the wet slippery road condition was a truimph. I was happy that I still have some power in my legs since I only biked 12 miles 3 days before the race after amost 2 months of no training. SO, a happy camper here!
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Oy vey! I was suffering here. I tackled the steep hill in good shape. Piese of cake but the last mile was the longest mile ever! I maintained a pretty conservative pace. I played safe after I saw that I miss my PR time 1.5 miles still to complete. I told myself to enjoy the run and be happy with the day.

Nothing. It was not a bad run considering my situation.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrate and hydrate more. Ate a banana; mingled with buddies and cheer the others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and wet road condition wwere the major factors. The fear of crashing on my bike was mind numbing. It was a long long day!!!!

Event comments:

It was a surprise to podium in my age group. I have never ever expecting the medal at all with the time I clocked in. I am happy to accept the medal as a consolation prize for even racing in this race. I had planned to miss this race a month ago due to the condition of my post surgery healing progress. I have wrote an email to the race director to take my name of the list but they did not when I checked the participant list a week before the race. So, I told myself if I can ride 12 miles without any pain, then I will race. 3 days before the race, I rode on Silver Comet for the first time and my butt did not feel any major pain. So, here I am. My goal prior to this race was to have fun, finish the race, and not aggrevate the wound. Mission accomplished plus a bonus. Not bad considering I still have stitches on my rear end, eh .... LOL.... A day to remember, indeed.

Last updated: 2007-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:39 | 03.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 13/40
Performance: Good
Course: Park paved road and trails. One nasty hill but overall a fair course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:56
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:36:24 | 11.8 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 8/40
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Road course inside the park -- with plenty of turns to drive you nuts.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:21 | 03.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 10/40
Performance: Average
Course: Same as the first leg, but run in reverse direction.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-29 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Tri the Parks Mistletoe Duathlon

2007-07-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: #905616

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks Mistletoe Duathlon
Solid work for stitches in your butt!  Good job.
2007-07-29 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
Congrats. Great race despite poor conditions and the post-op!

Now I know who you are. I didn't see your pre-race post with your race number, but I do remember seeing you during the race, and at the awards.

Great job!
2007-07-29 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great job on the race- its better to be a little careful on the wet roads- to avoid more surgery!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks Mistletoe Duathlon Rss Feed