United States
Multi-Sport
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 08m 12s
Overall Rank = 197/280
Age Group = M35-39 1st TMR
Age Group Rank = 26/34
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 6 am and started getting ready but wasn't thrilled with the thoughts of doing my first Tri in the rain, plus I just knew that they were going to cancel the swim because of the waves and weather. Talked myself into going (almost blew it off) and went down to see what the plans were. They shortened the swim, but everything else was a go! Might as well do it, since I am already here. Just have to take it easy on the bike and the wet roads. Don't want to hurt the new Felt.

Prerace meal consisted of a gatorade and a snickers marathon bar.
Event warmup:

Had to park a half mile from the race site, so I biked to the satrt, set-up my area and then stretched. saw Karl (Motivated), so went over and talked to him. Met Tony (Tribesman) also.
Swim
  • 02m 44s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Now I know what swimming in a washing machine feels like. Felt pretty good about my swim, went out to the far left away from the other swimmers, then went further out into the water before starting the swim. Used the waves and current to bring me back to the other swimmers and the bouy. Got smashed by numerous waves, but no more than anyone else.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I did the best with strategy against the conditions that I possibly could. Swim was too short to really make too many other mistakes.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Had a slow T1 mainly because I was gaining my wits from being tossed about by the waves, plus it was my first race, so I didn't want to rush and forget anything. (Time included run up beach to transition area and slow single file walk so timers could get our numbers)

Rainy conditions only slowed me down more with putting on socks and bike shoes. Got dressed, had a bit of Gatorade then was off!

Speed up! But that will come with more races and transition practices.
Bike
  • 31m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Was really cautious at the start with the wet conditions, plus it was my first time riding in the rain. Took the corners very slow. Was fairly pleased with my bike leg. (Hit a max speed of 23.5 mph)

Could have pushed it more, but didn't want to waste too much energy on the bike and not have enough left in the tank on the run. Need to learn my pacing for each leg, but that will come with more experience.

I didn't drink anything on the ride at all. Was too concerned about the conditions. This was a mistake. Now I have learned my lesson, I will know better next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Was pleased with my T2. On a dry day, it would have been much faster. Took my time not to fall with the wet conditions, got my running shoes on and was off.

Not much!
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to start very slowly and walk for about a 1/4 mile to get some fluids and Gu in me. Was on empty after the bike since I didn't get any nutrition while on the bike. Paid for it dearly here! Once I got something in me I was off again and with each step I got better. Funny how that works!!! At the 1.5 turnaround, I was feeling great and picked it up all the way back in.

Drink and eat on the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, talked with Karl (Motivated) and Tony (Tribesman), took in some water. Also took a few pics on the beach with the fellow BTers!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and nutrition.

Event comments:

Was disappointed that there was no official timing...other than the people doing it manually. No chips, straps, nothing!

Wasn't organized to my standards, but really can't complain for what that area has gone through after the hurricane The organizers did a good job with just getting the race to happen!

Last updated: 2004-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:44 | 200 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 174/280
Performance: Good
Suit: Cervelo Tri-suit
Course: Ocean swim was shortened due to the weather from 400m to about 200-250m. Course set-up: run out past the first marker, then swim 200 yards (with current), then around last bouy and run out
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:21 | 10 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Overall: 161/280
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Wet!!! Loop course that had a strong headwind going out. Not to much tailwind coming back as it was blocked by the condos.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:57 | 03 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Overall: 222/280
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back road course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2004-10-10 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: Destin Crab Trap Tri

2004-10-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: #70927

Veteran
Ankeny, Iowa
Subject: RE: Destin Crab Trap Tri

Congratulations. It must feel awesome to complete your first your tri and you overcame in horrible conditions none the less.

Great job keep it up.

2004-10-10 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
WAY TO GO MAN!!!!! Great day! Super bike leg, even on dry roads the times would be great. Now you are ready for next year.
2004-10-10 8:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Congrats! As c2fd noted, killer bike leg. Is that it for your season?
2004-10-10 11:28 PM
in reply to: #70985

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Aikane - 2004-10-10 7:47 PM Congrats! As c2fd noted, killer bike leg. Is that it for your season?

Unfortunately that was the first and last race for me this season.  Still looking for another race....if I can find one, I will do it.

2004-10-11 5:35 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Lane,

Great way to knock down  your first tri.  While I agree it was not the most organized race, it was nonetheless enjoyabe.  I've always loved running in the rain, but  biking in the rain is a whole different story.  Keep up the training and I hope to see you guys at the first spring event!

By the way, good job, Volunteers on spanking those Dogs.  That must have capped off your day rather nicely.

Karl

2004-10-11 8:57 AM
in reply to: #71062

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Motivated - 2004-10-11 4:35 AM

Lane,

Great way to knock down  your first tri.  While I agree it was not the most organized race, it was nonetheless enjoyabe.  I've always loved running in the rain, but  biking in the rain is a whole different story.  Keep up the training and I hope to see you guys at the first spring event!

By the way, good job, Volunteers on spanking those Dogs.  That must have capped off your day rather nicely.

Karl

Yep! What a day!  To complete my first tri and then to see the Vols go into Athens and beat the Dawgs was the making for an unforgettable day!  Not to mention that during most of the race, I had lots of people yelling "Go Dawgs" to me because of the Tennessee visor that I was wearing!  Too much fun!  I have to admit that it was a suprise to me as well for them to win, but I will take it!

2004-10-11 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Lane,

CONGRATULATIONS   TRIATHLETE!!!!

2004-10-11 11:57 AM

User image

Elite

Hey Cavu,

Great race.  If I were going as fast as you in the water, I would have to be waterskiing.

I am going to Game 5 of the Braves/Astros tonight.  I don't think you guys will be able to replay your flyover efforts from last week.  The forecast is for showers.  Definitely not CAVU, Cavu.

See you online I guess.

TW

2004-10-11 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Nope, not doing this flyover, but hopefully the Braves will win and we can do one for the next series.  May lose my spot an have to do the ground control job on the field.  then again, that is usually more fun as you get to meet everyone on the field.  Plus a lot of perks during the game as well.  Go Braves!
2004-10-12 6:37 PM
in reply to: #71187

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nice meeting you and congrats, Lane! Hope to see you around the events next yr!

Tony

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Destin Crab Trap Tri Rss Feed