Troika
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 57m
Overall Rank = 27/257
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/32
Pre-race routine:

This started on Thursday. I loaded up on carbs Thursday through Saturday. Lots of pasta and oatmeal. I also had a two year supply of ibuprofen to get my IT band to calm down… :-)

Packed everything the night before. Had a little bit of oatmeal and a packet of hammer gel for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Racked my bike. Did a two mile ez warm-up run. When I got back I put on my wetsuit and swam about 200 yards.
Swim
  • 36m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started at the front. Got knocked around quite a bit for the first 300 yards. Once things calmed town a bit I was able to start breathing bilaterally. This was a big step forward for me. In my previous two races I have been too stressed and my heart rate has been too high that I have only been able to breath on one side. Although my breathing was good my sighting was terrible and I never got to draft anyone. I was allover the place. Lost some precious time there but that is not something I am loosing sleep over. It will improve over time. Overall I am pleased with the swim. I was hoping to get done under 40 minutes so I have absolutely no complaints.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and drafting
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

I am terrible slow at T1. Most guys get done in 1:25-1:45. I need 2:28… Not sure what I am doing wrong. I am going as fast as I can. This is an area that need some improvement.

Don't know...
Bike
  • 2h 36m 5s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.53 mile/hr
Comments:

This felt good. Rode hard but not too hard. I passed a lot of people. Around mile 20 I caught up with a group of 3 people and there was a guy standing by the side of the road yelling out our position. When I passed him I yelled ’35!’ I was thinking to myself, this is not possible. There is no way I am 35th. But I started to think back realized I had passed a lot of people and maybe it is possible. This was really inspirational and energizing. My goal was a 2:45 bike split. 2:36 is beyond wildest dreams.

It felt good passing people on their $7000 bikes. Here I am on a road bike with shorty bars and no fancy wheels. I was especially pleased to pass a guy on a Litespeed Blade with disc wheels… Although, I am hoping that one day I can join the “cool bike” club.

Nothing. This was better than expected.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

They way T2 is setup is awesome. They grab your bike, helmet and bike shoes and give you your sunning shoes. Awesome!! Very well coordinated.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 41m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

With the race going good so far I thought that this is what will kill the race for me. Surprisingly, my IT band felt pretty good. I could feel it but it did not hurt. Around mile 6 it started to feel it more and around mile 8 it started to hurt. I now also started to pay more attention to my watch and realized that if I kept at lest an 8:15 pace I would make it under 5 hours. I had to run this calculation several times because I thought I must have missed something. There is no way I will get done under 5. 5:15 would be an awesome race. Sub 5… Not possible… I kept trucking along but the pain got worse and worse. For awhile I was considering stopping because the pain was almost unbearable. Every time I considered stopping I looked at my watch and that gave me enough energy to keep going. When I reached mile 12 I caught up with a guy in my age group and we talked a little about getting done in less than 5 hours. That little talk really helped. Somehow I was able to block some of the pain and pickup my pace. When I saw the clock at the finish line I was dumbfounded. 4:57… Once I crossed the line I asked for ice and I had a bag in my hand in less than 15 seconds. Awesome support form the race crew!

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Got a massage from club member who is a massage therapist. Tem Blaze is such a great club. Had some fruit and pop. A little disappointed that they did not have food with a lot of calories. I left hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band and transitions. One of them will be addressed immediately. However, IT band or not, this was the race of my life so far.

Event comments:

Absolutely fantastic organization that runs this race. I hope I can work it in to my 2008 schedule. The volunteers were fantastic and there were aid stations at every mile of the run.

Last updated: 2007-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:10 | 2112 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 81/257
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: One loop
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:36:05 | 56 miles | 21.53 mile/hr
Overall: 40/257
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Fast bike course. Net elevation drop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:41:28 | 13.1 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 0/257
Performance: Good
Course: Easy course. Fairly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Subject: Troika Half Iron Triathlon

2007-08-06 12:49 PM
in reply to: #914938

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Troika Half Iron Triathlon
OMG! What an amazng race!!!!  You totally rocked it and blew your goals out of the water!!!  I totally know what you are talking about with the IT Band pain gettng worse and worse the longer you go until there are tears in your eyes! You really pushed through and ended up with a super fast time!!  Just think what you could do if your knee wasn't jacked up!!!  Again....great race!!  I feel your sense of accomplishment through your writing and am proud of you!!!
2007-08-06 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Whoa!  Awesome race Jon!  I kind of figured you'd be in the under-5-hours group - I didn't realize you were shooting for 5:15 best case.  Way to go!  You looked great out there!  Congratulations!!! 
2007-08-06 4:37 PM

User image

Spokane
Whoa!!  Awesome race Jon!!!!  Your time is so far out from where Im' at, you're a real inspiration. You didn't look like you were in any pain when you went by me going the other way.  Way to go!!!!
2007-08-06 4:38 PM

User image

Expert

Wow, what a killer race. You really hammered the bike and gutted out that run. Even with your leg causing you so much pain you were really moving. Awesome job and congratulations! Now get that IT issue worked out so you can continue on your success!

2007-08-06 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Killer race!  Nice work pushing through the pain and finishing strong.  Bet you're glad now that you did! 

2007-08-06 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Great Job! You really gutted it out for the last couple miles of the run to reach your deams.

Rich
2007-08-07 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Amazing race Jon! That was super fast and only your 3rd tri, right? Great Job!
2007-08-07 3:52 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Jon, I'm so glad you were able to race.  You are one fast triathlete.  Sub 5 on your first half?!?  That's freakin' incredible!  You totally smoked the bike.  Way to tough out the IT band pain on the run.  Hope you are recovering well.  Awesome, awesome, awesome!
2007-08-08 1:31 AM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
A very nice job on that race, especially with the IT problems. I hope that heals up soon. I'm impressed that you pretty much dominated all three legs.

I was curious about something at the race. Does Team Blaze have anything to do with Blazeman of ironman fame? Or does it just mean...blazing fast?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Troika Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed