Jack and Adam's Bicycles
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 22s
Overall Rank = 152/755
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/35
Pre-race routine:

My oldest son had come along with me this weekend, and we had hung out in the New Braunfels area on Saturday, went to Gruene Hall, just taking it easy.

Stayed in a hotel in San Antonio (lots cheaper), slept pretty decent and got up at 4:45. The usual breakfast of oatmeal bar, protein bar, coffee, and Gatorade.

Arrived at the site at a perfect time, got a prime parking spot, great rack spot, no rushing around. Picked up packet and chip, set up TA. Walked through all the ins and outs.
Event warmup:

The usual; swam about 200 yards, some upper body stretching, and shot a gel 30 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 12m 4s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

They combined the 40-44 & 45-49 AGs, so we had a pretty crowded wave of 103 guys. Of course, I hung towards the back to start and avoided the main chaos.

I swim slow and had predicted 11 minutes. I felt like I had a good swim; never tired, no mental or confidence issues like in the past, sighted well, navigated around and through some swimmers slower than me, and I STILL missed my goal by a minute.

Oh well; now it's time to get to work and make up for the slow time.
What would you do differently?:

Duh; how about swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Some distance from the water to the rack; ran pretty hard, passed quite a few folks. Smooth transition.

Not much, 3rd fastest in my AG and beat 64 guys in the 40-44 AG, so I'm considering this a very good T1.
Bike
  • 42m 20s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Nothing special to comment on.

I do pretty well on the bike and put up a good time. Was able to catch a lot of guys who had beaten me out of the water. They had started the waves off in gender and AG order, so I knew that everybody that was passed were younger men and faster swimmers, and it was a confidence builder.

We had great conditions and this was a really enjoyable ride, was able to maintain a good pace. The hills were just enough grade to make you work, but you topped out just as you reached LT.

Drank ~10 ozs of G'ade and shot a gel along the way, brought it on in cleanly and got ready to run.

Not much; I pushed pretty hard, especially on the hills, and was able to re-pass and drop the 3 or 4 guys that had passed me. Not sure I could've pushed any harder, but you always wonder.

Beat my time goal by 1:40, so I'm pleased.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Nailed this one, too.

Not much, 4th fastest in my AG and beat 62 guys from the 40-44 AG, so another good transition.
Run
  • 23m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Found my running legs quickly and settled into a comfortable pace, maybe too comfortable. Never made it hurt any, even on the hills, just rocked along and pounded it out.

Checked my watch at the 3/4 mark and knew I could meet my run and race time goal if I didn't fade.

I'm capable of running a bit faster than this and I could've pushed just a little harder for such a short distance. I slacked off mentally towards the end but still held a good pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank some water, cooled down, found my son and snapped the obligatory post-race pics.

Met up with Dennis (dgunthert) and Jamie (jpb0009) and chatted about the race and racing in general. Everyone had had a rock solid day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual; slow swim speed.

Coming off of BSLT I had drastically reduced my bike and run volume for July to take care of some other projects and was wondering if it had cost me any performance. I don't think it did.

Physically, I felt good and except for the swim; I met or beat all my time goals. All in all, a great day and race.

Event comments:

I had heard Jack's put on a great race and they did not disappoint. Good venue and organization, food & drink, post-race atmosphere & music. Pretty cool having some pros out there and getting to see what fast swimming looks like.

Thought the "generic" theme was a neat gimmick. Everything was generic and plain-Jane; the race shirts, bib numbers, water bottles, awards, etc. Kind of like triathlon; if there's a choice between complicated and simple, I'm picking simple.

Last updated: 2007-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:04 | 547 yards | 02m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/35
Overall: 516/755
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Loop around the island in the middle with some buoys. Easy to sight. Half-way clean water and pretty warm.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:20 | 14.8 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 100/755
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop on country roads, some minor hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:23 | 03 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/35
Overall: 177/755
Course: Out and back with a couple of minor hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-06 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Jack's Generic Triathlon

2007-08-06 1:33 PM
in reply to: #915042

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jack's Generic Triathlon
Nice job out there Jim, nice to meet up finally. Agree, really nice conditions out there for racing yesterday and I know we'll meet up again in the near future (imaz 08 keeps getting closer and closer)
2007-08-07 7:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Great race out there Sunday!!!! J&A's really do know how to put together a great race with an awesome post race environment. I agree that the generic theme was cool too, simple is definetly better. Again great race out there!!!!
2007-08-07 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, great job!

Sorry you missed your swim time by 1:00. Ya know, in the open water, it's always iffy. Do you really know you went the exact distance... etc. I always wonder how I can be so fast in a pool and do 2:00 per 100 in a race. It's just that weird OW stuff. So don't sweat it.

Happy to hear that you beat all of your other times! Terrific!

Obviously the reduced training did not affect you. You trained perfectly for a sprint distance.

2007-08-07 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Looks like you had a great race! nice job!
2007-08-07 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
strong race and nothing is better than beating your goals. keep up the training and focus on that swim if you think that is your biggest area of improvement. proper drills will make you faster!!!!!!!!!! way to hammer that bike for an old guy - JK!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jack's Generic Triathlon Rss Feed