Nevis Civic and Commerce
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 25s
Overall Rank = 11/238
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

Ate 3 pieces of toast with Peanut Butter, packed the bike, and headed off to the race.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a 4 mile ride to make sure everything was working properly and get the legs warmed up. Then put the running shoes on and ran about 1.5 miles. Went to the pre-race meeting and then swam about 200 yards to warm up.
Swim
  • 07m 56s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim course was good, started closer to the front and seemed to be able to find good water right away. I tried to focus on staying long, and having a quicker turn over than normal. My navigation was spot on, and I was able to stay close to the bouys for the entire race. After you got out of the water, you have about a 50-75 yard run, up hill, before you get to the timing mat, and about another 25 yards to the entrance of Transition.
What would you do differently?:

This off season I need to have my stroke analyzed and get used to having a faster turn over and being more efficient.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Quick transition, it felt a lot longer than the 1:17, but I was focused on staying smooth, and not rushing myself. It is true what they say, "slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"!!

Learn to leave the shoes on the bike, which should make the T1 time come down a little
Bike
  • 36m 11s
  • 14 miles
  • 23.22 mile/hr
Comments:

When I got on my bike I was only focused on pushing extremely hard for the entire time. I have never run a race this short, so I thought that I could push to the point of vommitting. The first 4-5 miles the wind was in our face and made it a little hard to get a good rythm going. At about mile 3.5 I picked off 2 riders. I did not know it, but at that point, but there was only 4 other racers in front of me.

Every once in a while I was able to get a glimpse of another rider ahead of me, but I was unable to real him in. I only brought water on the bike becasue from past races I know that when I am pushing hard, the sugar from Gatorade does not sit easy with my stomach. And while I was aiming to push hard enough to vomit, I did not want to do so on the bike, and would rather do so immediately after the run

At about mile 7 I started to do some figuring of time, and it was not looking too good. But the I realized that the forst section was against the wind, so I figured that I would be able to make up a little bit with it at my back for a few miles.

At mile 10, it looked like my time would be about 1:30 - 2:00 minutes shy of my goal, so I kicked it up a notch. There were times where I remember seeing my HR at 173-174, which is EXTREMELY high for me, but I wanted to shave more time off.

I came around the last corner and saw the 12 mile marker and knew that I only had 2 miles left to go, and now it looked like I was only going to miss my goal time by around 1:00 or so, so I was happy about that.

As I was coming back into town, wierdly enough, it felt like the Tour 'de France, as there were people in the bike lane that was blocked off. I even had to holler at a few of them as they were not paying attention to the way bike traffic was coming. They all got out of the way, and probably were not paying too much attention becasue of the few amount of bikes that had come by at that point.

With about a block left to go, I slipped my feet out of the shoes and hit the last corner before transition with a vengance. There was a little hill that we had to climb to get into transition, so I wanted to carry as much speed as possible going into it. I swung the corner wide, and ground out the last 50 yards up hill. My mom was there taking pictures and said she got one of me going up that hill, I am really curious to see the expression on my face...I am sure it will be ugly AND priceless! :)

This was another new PR for MPH on the bike, so not much! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

nice and quick

nothing
Run
  • 22m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was something that I am not used to, running at the front of the race. It was hard to judge my pace because there was no one in view for me to gage myself against, so I just focused on pushing hard and monitoring my HR.

The first mile seemed like I was crawling! My legs did not want to move as well as I hoped they would, but I kept a high turn over, knowing they would come around after the first mile.

The first mile came by in 7:09 and I was pleasantly suprised at the pace. At the same time, the race leader passed me going the other way. I am not really sure what I expected, but it was a moral victory for me to not see him on the run until 2 miles left. It made me feel a little better about my race.

Shortly after that the trail straightened out and I could see the turn around, and the few people that were a head of me. I started counting them and realized that I was running 5th at the turn around. I knew there would be some faster people in the waves after me, but I still like my chances of finishing in the Top 10.

When I hit the turn around I saw 2 guys running fast, and knew that it was only a matter of time until they caught me, which happened shortly before mile 2.

At mile 2, I check my watch and it clocked in at 7:01, which almost brought a smile to my face, as I have not ever run this fast after getting off the bike. I knew that I would have a decent run time if I could hold onto this pace for another 1.1 miles.

At this point there was a lot more people on the trail which I think helped me focus a bit more on lengthing my stride and moving as fast as I could. I got to the point in the run where I could see the finish line and I tried to dig a little deeper, but I had nothing left in the tank. I did not slow down, but I did not have anything left in me for a faster finish, becasue I left it scattered across the course.

I hit the line at 1:08:25, as the 7th finisher to cross the line. Grabbed a water and a Gatorade and walked over to the side and was SECONDS away from vommiting. It was sitting in my throat, but it never came up. After I thought about it, I decided to drink a little more water to "wash" it down and walk a round a little so I would not focus on it.

After a few minutes I walked over to where the results were being posted and realized that 4 others had come in faster, and I had missed the Top 10 OA by 4 seconds!

Oh well, I pushed as hard as I could, had a great race, and came in 11th. I set new PR's in terms of Bike Pace and Run Pace, so I can't complain at all

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to a few friends, walked back up the trail to cheer on a few of the racers coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current fitness level

Event comments:

This is quite possibly one of the best run races in the state of MN. If you get a chance to do this one, I would HIGHLY reccomend it

Last updated: 2007-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:56 | 440 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 35/238
Performance: Average
HR - 166
Suit: Orca Sleeveless
Course: Counter-Clockwise Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:11 | 14 miles | 23.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 10/238
HR - 166
Wind: Some
Course: Rectangle, with rolling hills. Not many flat spots, most sections that appeared flat, were more like flase flats. It had rained a few hours prior to the race, so there were a few puddles left on the road, but for the most part, the roads were pretty dry
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:03 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 27/238
Mile 1 - 7:09, HR - 171, Mile 2 - 7:01, HR - 174, Last 1.1 miles - 7:48, HR - 175
Course: Out and back on a flat paved running trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: Northwoods Triathlon

2007-08-12 6:32 PM
in reply to: #922639

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Northwoods Triathlon
There was a minute between 9th and 13th place. Any of those folks could have placed top ten. JPW was a tad over 2:00 behind me and could have placed ahead of me if he would have had the bike ride that he has shown the capability of having. You were seconds behind me. This was a very competative race, as I thought it would be.

Heck of a bike ride! Knowing the course, I kind of knew where I was going to be slow and where I would pick up some time. If you would have had that knowledge, you would have been a bit faster. I love the folks lining main street. It sure gives the race a great feel. You won't find a bike finish like that anywhere.

Excellent transitions as well!

You have one advantage that I will never have... Age! You are youthful and have several years to reach your peak in your 30s. I started this stuff seriously when I was 37 and past my prime. You have the equipment and transitions that many in your AG lack. I have no doubt that you can take your natural talent, add a bit of proper traininng, throw in another couple of years and make yourself into one of the racers people like me can only wonder if they could have ever become.

Work hard and train correctly.

See you!
2007-08-12 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

awesome job all the way around.   You ran your race and left it on the course, that's all you can ask for.  Nice new PR and way to keep your breakfast down.

I hear you on the front running thing.  It's weird being out there in no man's land!  Just one of many great races in your future.

2007-08-12 7:47 PM

User image

Elite
What a race Ben.  That was absolutely fantastic.  I'm with Brad on this one.  You are lucky to have started young.  I just hope I'm doing as good as he is in a few years.  Once again, great race.
2007-08-12 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Great race. I haven't had to deal with being a front runner before, but I know that even in the middle of the pack it can seem a little lonely if you can't see anyone in front of you. I like having a body to reel in, even if I'm not quite able to do it. Motivation!! Great job.

2007-08-12 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you. I was the one in the BT jersey. Were you the one in the Gear West jersey that cheered me on when we crossed paths on the run? After the race I waited to cheer Kelly on then went to the transition area to change into dry clothes and clean up my area. We will definitely have to meet up at a race.

2007-08-13 6:36 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job Ben!!  Probably the only race report ever written where the word "vomit" was used 3 times and it never even happened     Sounds like you're getting more confident and this race was a good way to start wrapping up the season.  Congrats!
2007-08-13 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race, Ben!
2007-08-19 9:11 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Duuuuude, sweet race! You absolutely crushed this one. Congrats!
2007-08-19 11:36 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Great Race!  Sounds like you had a great time and how awesome it must have felt to be at the front of the pack!

My parents own a cabin on Big Sand, and one of these days I'll be participating in this event - unfortunately it didn't work out from a vacation standpoint this year.

2007-09-04 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Wicked Great result . Awsome race , You Left it all out on the course and PRd in the bike and run . Fantastic Stuff .

Those races where everything goes right help so much in staying motivated. Thumbs Up !

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northwoods Triathlon Rss Feed