Midwest Sports Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/42
Pre-race routine:

HOLY CRAP! Yesterday we had lost power in our neighborhood (appx 6pm)but it was restored by 7. I fixed all the clocks and readied for the race. At 1 am, huge storm was upon us. Woke both DH and me up and the storm kept us awake for a while. Well, I had set my alarm for 5 am but instead I get an elbow in my side,"Hey, it's 6 am, what about your race?" I FREAKED!!! I showered, loaded car (thank God my DH put the bike on) dressed, grabbed a coffee and out the door by 620. I flew and was relieved to see others were late. Needless to say, I was flustered. Plus NO breakfast! And hardly any hydration. But rode bike in and set up my area. Went to get chip but needed race belt - ran back to get that just as they were closing transition. Whew! Used the potty. Found some gatorade, chugged that.
Event warmup:

I rode bike in, ran around getting chipped and body marked ...huffin' and puffin'. AAAHHHH! And I think I probably needed to rest more day before vs yard work and running kid around Kids Tri.
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

WTF...I need ows practice. Why is it I get so hyper? Ok, so I did freestyle vs breast like last year but I kept my face out of the water LOTS and when I did put face in, got off course. I passed a few people but even still... slow time. Got a zebra muscle cut on big toe. (didn't hurt then, but does now)
What would you do differently?:

Practice in a lake.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I sat down and had to get lots of grass off my feets. Felt a bit dizzy...ahh, that OWS ;)

Push harder
Bike
  • 54m 24s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

My aero bottle got dumped over when I was racking my bike before race so I was left with only a water bottle. I tried to drink lots but so much easier with aero bottle in my face. I had grabbed a granola bar and a gu (from the grab bag samples) from my bag in hopes of eating. No way was I going to manage the granola bar so tried the gu.. not bad but left a bad after taste and only got about 1/2 into me. About 2 miles into the ride, I'm futzing around with gearing and VOILA! My chain falls off! Daaah! I pull over to the gravel and no sooner than I got there, a sag car zooms up and says "need any help?" (great support!) But luckily, I didn't need help and badda bing, I was up and running again. The hills seemed to burn up my legs today. But overall, I felt good but knew I could have gone faster.

Not goof off with gear changes without really knowing what I'm doing. And practice more hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Ok, so I get into T2 and run, run, run to the rack. BUT WTF!? I'm in the wrong aisle! Doh! So then I scan the next aisle and futz around trying to find my bags (really needed a balloon) and finally get situated. Took LOOONG slug of H20 before heading out too... and grabbed a gatorade as I exited transition.

Hang a balloon or guess if I had been there as planned (early) I would have mapped out my area better in relation to exits/entries etc...
Run
  • 29m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Heat was turned up a notch by run time. Whew! Right knee felt stiff/achy..a first.(maybe mashing too much on bike?) I had a cramp on my right side for 1/2 the run. I think it was just breathing. My heart rate was 100% at one point and I'll bet it was during the run. Below 10 min pace is good for me! I'm pleased. At one point I saw one of the photographers and did a 2 thumbs up / wink but don't know if he took the pic. (usually my race photos are laughable with closed eyes, pained looks, etc.. so wanted one that looked happy). Saw a guy with a clown afro wig.. said "like your hair!"

Drink more before run.
Post race
Warm down:

Huffin' and puffin' for a bit at end. Sweat was pouring off me by then. Grabbed a little banana and gatorade and began to pack up and head out. (can't see eating 'lunch or dinner' foods at 930 am so wanted to head home for our usual brunch).
Met up with DeannaS on way out. She kicked azz in her AG! And even though my night before hosed me up, she had it worse with camping outside during that freakin' hurricane of a storm! Great to meet DeannaS and Ajotto at kid tri day before too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fear in water. Gearing during bike. And lack of training for run (need to do some speed work).

Event comments:

Nice race overall. Maybe I'll do the Olympic next year since the swim is shorter than most Olympics. But then I'd better get practicing those OWS. ;)

Last updated: 2007-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 440 yards | 02m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Out and back around bouys. Segregated Olympic and Sprint better this year and mostly de-weeded and de-zebra muscled.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:54:24 | 16 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course with some rolling hills that seemed to kill my legs today.Some tight corners but fun.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:20 | 03.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back thru town/along water/neighborhood. Got a bit tight on busy streets (some guy backed out into runners) with two way runners.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 9:09 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Oshkosh Triathlon

2007-08-12 9:50 PM
in reply to: #923050

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Oshkosh Triathlon
Great race after that panicky beginning! You're really coming along!
2007-08-12 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Great race! I would have been going nuts if my alarm didn't go off, so wait to go with just dealing with it. Geez, then your chain came off.......you really overcame some bad luck, awesome job!
2007-08-13 12:09 AM

User image

east texas
Girl, I swear you are my next year's inspiration!! I don't know how you did it but you definitely DID IT!! Way to overcome those obstacles!

Btw, excuse my ignorance, but what is weeding thingies and zebra whatsits??

GREAT JOB...and your race notes had me ROLLING!

You are awesome...Amish candles, hurricanes and absentee chains be DAMNED...you GO!!

Ice cream and hugs,
D
2007-08-13 6:29 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Crazy day huh??  sounds like something that wouls happen to ME

Nice job out there!!!

2007-08-13 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Awesome race and great race report.  Congrats, Sarah!!

2007-08-13 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
I am out of breath just reading your race report. I guess now I know why I couldn't find you before the race: You were sleeping! Great race. Way to overcome all the obstacles! Saw the guy with the wig too. Can't imagine how hot it was out there with that wig and his cotton t-shirt.
2007-08-14 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Sarah,
Good job getting there and getting set up.  I can understand about scrambling to get to the race and set up and..... all that crazy stuff.

Good job getting the swim done, then getting out for the bike.  Each race has things you learn about how to do better next time.  Dropping a chain is a big pain, I did that at a club race.... trying 2 things at once and being stupid. 

Great run.

One of the things I have read is you should fuel your body 20-45 minutes after a run.

2007-08-17 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
It was really nice to meet you! We'll definitely be doing this race next year. Maybe I'll even do the Olympic, if I can ever get running again. But, we'll stay in a hotel this time! Sheesh, my aching back.

I ended up not placing as high as I thought in my AG, but I was still happy with what I did. Sounds like you've come a long way, and your bike split really wasn't bad at all considering the stop. Good job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oshkosh Triathlon Rss Feed