swim 100 f/s
pedal around
walk around
Swim
  • 10m 59s
  • 437 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started out fine, even planned to flip at the wall when the guy behind me tapped my toes. Per instructions, we pass at the wall. When we got to the wall not one but two guys flipped trying to pass me and each other. So there were three of us at the wall. I had feet in the face and got water in my goggles and it upset me.

For the next two laps I swam head up breaststroke watching those coming up behind me, coming toward me, and in the adjacent lanes. I tried to make myself as small as possible and apologized when bumped but I should save my breath. Before long, I was ready to pass someone but was really hesitant to try. After I regained my composure, I backstroked - seeing how Coach Sue says its my best stroke - to just about the end. There were people walking in the poo. The RD warned it was a bit of a um messy experience. Sheesh. It was.

Other people had good experiences, esp those who got to start after the RD let the wave clear out,
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself slower? Get goggles with better peripheral vision. Get to be a better swimmer. Get more experience. Be less polite, and don't expect politeness.

On the bright side: my greatest fear today was that I would get kicked in the face, get my goggles knocked off and loose a contact lens. Well, it almost happened, but it didn't, and it all wasn't too bad after all.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s

Seems fine to me!
Bike
  • 46m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Must have been fun cause I was singing songs by The Pretenders as I rode. Pretty parts of the course - horse farms, sheep, not too much roadkill. No traffic!

What's with all those dudes that do not call "on your left" ?? I did notice - women are much more inclined to call out when passing. Of course I was passed a couple dozen times so I know of which I speak. And yes, I did pass people too - esp on the hills. I love hills!

Ride a faster bike. Oh, and those cages do not hold my shoes in there. After three strokes I can slip my foot out no matter how tight I make the thing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 31m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I tucked a baggie with ice into my swim suit top. It bounced and sloshed but it kept me cool.

People were calling out supportive comments to each other. It was fun. 1st mile sucked big time and I was real down on myself. It hurt! I alternated walk and run.

Eventually paired up with Steady Eddy as I called him - # 274. He just kept on jogging real slow and steady and I would pass him and then he would pass me when I walked the uphills. From mile 1 to the end.

I always save up for a spint to the finish. So does he! We were just not going to let the other win so - we finished the race holding hands! Photo finish! Can't wait for that picture!

Run faster!

I guess I need more brickwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and walked. Iced right knee (and left a little) for an hour - 2 hours off and on. Neither hurt, to my surprise, or showed much inflammation, but given the pounding they took I expect they needed it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cluelessness

Editted a year later to add: despite cluelessness I podiumed on this! I was 3rd in my AG. Never placed before in any kind of race. And guess what - I like it!

Event comments:

Sorry my rankings are not very meaningful as I have so little experience. Volunteers were plentiful and nice - I made sure to thank everyone on the course that I passed. And spectators! Love spectators that yell and applaud. Anyway, there was pizza and fresh fruit, massages, activities for the kids. I recommend it especially for newbies.

Last updated: 2007-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:59 | 437 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/473
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2 piece
Course: snake swim in 50 meter pool - 4 lanes
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:17 | 12.43 miles | 16.11 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Gentle downhill on the way out, a bit of a climb at about halfway. I like hills. Like to dig in and work.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:07 | 03.11 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Gentle long downhill and then back up. Asphalt and concrete with a few places w/soft shoulders/grass to run on. Very warm and humid. Course mostly shady. Not as pretty as the bike course, just average suburban streets. Wish the miles were marked so I could have better paced myself. Next time will wear that Nike+iPod thingie so I know the distance and my pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 12:56 PM

Expert
Subject: Richmond Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: #940630

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Richmond Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations on your 1st tri and what a great time!
2007-08-28 1:13 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations on finishing your first tri!!

The pool swim at this race is always a little crazy.  It wouldn't have mattered if you seeded yourself slower.  I think it's just a function of pool swims.  For some reason, people get really clumped at the walls. 

2007-08-30 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congrats on your first tri...pool swims are frustrating (they're all I've done, and I've seeded myself too high and too low...neither one is a good scene!).

Nice work, triathlete!
2007-09-04 8:47 AM

Expert
Oh wow! Thanks for your comments everyone.

I checked out that guy that flew by everyone - he averaged about 1:38 per 100 m - WHAT was he doing swimming after me? Anyway, it helps to know my experience was not unusual - yes there were people clinging to walls, lane lines. But we all lived to talk about! Can't wait to try again.

Edited by BabsVa 2007-09-04 9:09 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed