CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 46m 20s
Overall Rank = 161/276
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/38
Pre-race routine:

Rise and shine at the hotel (yeah!) at around 5; ate a Powerbar Performance and had a good cup of Joe. Arrived at the race site at about 6ish, and racked and got transition set up. I had a Hammergel about 10 minutes prior to getting in the water.
Event warmup:

Took a quick (about .75 mile) jog to get the heartrate up. I didn't have time to get in the water prior to race start.
Swim
  • 32m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was very pleasant - water temperature was just high enough so they announced "no wetsuits", which was a little bit of a bummer. My approach was to "Just Do It", and make sure I could successfully complete this distance in open water. Once I figured out that I wasn't going to drown, I picked up the pace for the last 1/3rd. I really can't complain, considering how much purple is in my training graphs!
What would you do differently?:

Swim a bit more aggresive pace from the beginning - I had more to give, but held back to make sure I would finish.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

LONG run out of the water to T1 - I'm pretty sure (based on Tink's watch) that I spent less than a minute actually in T1, so I'm pleased with the performance.

Nothing!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I was VERY worried about my performance on this section - between the stepped up distance and the hills, I was pretty scared. The plan I used was aimed at getting me through the worst of it at a do-able pace for the first ~19 miles. After that, the majority was down hill and fast; at one point I clocked in at 39.5mph - I'm sorry, but that sounds darn scary on a bike to me!
I had brought 3 gels on the bike; I took 2 through the course, which ended up being 1 too many. I had major discomfort in my stomach from the fluids and gels, which hung around for quite a while. Looking back, I was trying to use nutrition to compensate for lack of strength, which doesn't work out very well (unless that nutrition is Tri-crack or something!).

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! I need to find some additional strength on the bike, which can only come from more discipline in my training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Executed pretty much as good as I could expect. No complaints!

Nothing.
Run
  • 51m 12s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Major disappointment here for me. I have always turned to my run as my strength in the race, and I think I sorely underestimated how much that bike segment was going to take out of me. My goal was to clock 7:45s, at least sub 8s, neither of which I came close to. I spent the first 2-3 miles recovering from my over-nutrition from the bike. I walked through 3 water stops, just to sip a bit and dump the rest on my head. I did manage to pick up the pace for about the last 1.5 miles, but it was through tears. I've never run on such an empty tank before - I wanted to quit so bad, but pressed through with a little help from my emergency-use-only mantra, "I am strong, I can last, I can run a race real fast". If I'm using that puppy, I'm in DEEP doodoo.

Perhaps some more brick training at these distances would help. Definitely fix my nutrition approach.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish, I concentrated on not relieving myself of the gels still sitting in my stomach, and walked around with my wonderful support crew (Tink and kiddos). After about 30 minutes, I had finally recovered, and could somewhat walk normal again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would have to say, I really went into my Olympic distance debut with a Sprint mentality; I can bang out a sprint without much of a bother, but this distance really reflected my summer and the lack of training I was able to do. I'm not too upset at my AG and overall placing; this race was the USAT Mid-Atlantic tri club championship, and I swear there were MANY MANY more extremely fast people at this race than usual! I don't think I have ever seen so much cycling bling in transition than this race. Once I get done licking my wounds, I'm sure my perspective on this performance will temper. But for now, I swear even the swim was uphill! I did my first Olympic tri, and in the end crossed the finish line standing. Good enough for one day's work.

Event comments:

CGI Racing knows how to attract race sponsors! We walked away, after the post-race awards and raffle, and including race swag, with a t-shirt, 4 oversized water bottles, a large bottle of Hammergel, a TYR transition bag, a $50 gift cert. to trisports.com, and a new racebelt!
Organization was nearly flawless. Only comment would be, all racers had to park about a mile away and walk in. The young guys all had backpacks and road their bikes, but with a family, this wouldn't work too well. Also, in the race lots, there was a bit of chaos in getting the cars parked; a parking attendant would have made the process a bit smoother, and probably could have facilitated better efficiency in the car arrangement.

Last updated: 2007-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:59 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 215/276
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot one-piece tri suit
Course: Out and back clockwise swim. Really a beautiful swim course. Plenty of room for the start, which consisted of all men age 25-39, we think, which was the first wave.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:48 | 24.85 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Overall: 232/276
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: VERY HILLY HILLY HILLY! I was absolutely humbled by this course. I had NO idea that I had signed myself up for such punishment. Tink and I drove the course the night prior THANK GOD, so I knew what was coming, and was able to formulate somewhat of an attack strategy.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:12 | 06.2 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 171/276
Performance: Below average
Course: MORE HILLS HILLS HILLS! Straight out and back on the same hills that crushed me on the bike.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 6:10 PM

Veteran
Subject: North East Triathlon

2007-08-26 6:40 PM
in reply to: #941029

Subject: RE: North East Triathlon
Your times look really great with the updated distances, Baby. Great job as always in TEAM LABERGE! XO
2007-08-26 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Joe - great job on your first Olympic!!

Even with stomach problems those are great times plus it was your first OWS at this distance.

You did a fantastic job at a very competitive race - congrats!
2007-08-26 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN

Hey I know an old bald guy that would love to have those times on his first oly (which he hasn't done yet).

I think you had a great race.  YOu learned a bit about the nutrition.  YOu made it to the finish line!

Hey my mantra is this -"if it don't kill you it makes you stronger"  YOu certianly got stronger today!  great job!

2007-08-26 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Great race Joe! It's a pretty big step up to Olympic from Sprint, and you did really well!

Bike course sounds tough, and since running is my weak link, I can so relate to the mental battle between finishing and quitting.  Comes down to the will to finish is stronger than the will to quit (and a great mantra).

Training will help - you might want to experiment with some different gels/nutrition.  My body doesn't like certain gels, and it works pretty hard at telling me so.

You and Tink are having a great season!!!

2007-08-26 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Finding out no wetsuits allowed in that area in northern Maryland would really be a suprise to me, and would have really freaked me out. You handled it well. The bike times look really fast, no doubt a reflection of it being the USAT Mid-Atlantic tri club championship, and the bling in transition.
Hanging in on a tough run is a good feeling. Well done.

2007-08-27 8:32 AM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Joe... great job on your first Olympic!!  Especially considering the hilliness of the course, your times were great!  Looking forward to getting smoked by you at General Smallwood!!  And yes, 39.5 mph is scary.  Downright frightening if you ask me.
2007-08-27 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race!!!  Sounds like you learned a lot and your next race at this distance will be better.  You really hung in on the run when it got tough.  I think that is a big part of what makes a person a triathlete.  It was a great effort for your first race at this distance - congrats!!!
2007-08-27 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Congrats on your first Olympic! That had to be a tough course for your first one. Nothing wrong with 51min 10K when it's that humid and you feel like crap. Ramp up the training and the next one will be better!
2007-08-27 12:01 PM
in reply to: #941238

Veteran
Thanks, Dan. I was hoping to chase your numbers, but the fitness just wasn't there on Sunday. I need to squeeze some more hours our of my married-with-children life so I can scratch the surface of your training numbers!! I look forward to riding with you soon; we'll hook up eventually! ~ Joe
2007-08-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #941280

Veteran
Thanks, Gerb! I do feel a bit more uplifted today after sleeping on it; it's a good entry point to look forward to exceeding in the opportunities to come, right? 'Appreciate the inspire! ~ Joe

2007-08-27 12:10 PM
in reply to: #941337

Veteran
Thanks you for your kind words! My perspective is better today than yesterday - have you ever mixed gels into your beverage of choice while you ride? I was reading the Hammergel instructions, which mentioned mixing it in and such. I might give that a try sometime!
Thanks Again! ~Joe
2007-08-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: #941377

Veteran
Thanks for your words of support! I really enjoy wetsuit swims, so I was a little bummed, but the water was so comfortable that I almost enjoyed the swim! This race really left me hungry for the next race, and the desire to get back to training - that's a good feeling!! Thanks again for stopping by ~ Joe
2007-08-27 12:14 PM
in reply to: #941602

Veteran
No smoking allowed at Smallwood - we're gonna have a blast! Thanks for the kind words, and look forward to seeing you and the family in a month! ~ Joe
2007-08-27 12:16 PM
in reply to: #941626

Veteran
Brenda - no doubt, looking back and knowing that I DIDN'T stop, even when I wanted to SO bad, is a victory and a great learning experience. And you are right - we don't do this sport because it's easy and anyone could do it, right? Thanks again ~ Joe
2007-08-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #941851

Veteran
Thanks, Glen - it's people like you and your amazing training that keep me motiviated to strive for the next level. You are right on concerning training; I reaped what I sowed on this one. But I woke up planning my next training week, so I guess the pain wasn't too bad! Look forward to seeing you guys again on the Triathlon Trail! ~ Joe

2007-08-27 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Joe - Congrats on your first Oly! Very nice job fighting to the finish! Racing with pain is what separates those that try from those that do. Way to go!

Larry
2007-08-27 6:51 PM

User image

Regular

Hi Joe,

Great race and great race report. I love the details you put into the report especially with the nutrition - always a big worry when pounding the pavement either on the bike or the run.  Thanks for the report and good job on the race.

Steve

2007-08-27 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Awesome race! The way I see it, the first race when you move up to a new distance can always just be taken as a "learning" experience which you sure did!

It sounds like it was a great race!

2007-08-30 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Joe,  I love your mantra! 

Note to self -- if crazy enough to do an Oly next year, do not sign up for North East until I learn to love hills! 

I hope to see Team Laberge again at the Smallwood Sprint! 

Laurie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North East Triathlon Rss Feed