Trifitness
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 59s
Overall Rank = 109/333
Age Group = M35 -39
Age Group Rank = 22/49
Pre-race routine:

Had a fantastic Sleep woke up 4:30am had bottle Gatorade and Cherrios and a Banana. Drove to the race and got the outside spot in transtion.
(I apologise for the long RR I want to make sure everything is included so I never get tempted to do this race again)
Event warmup:

Biked 10 minutes ran 10 minutes and swam 10-15 minutes. I was starting to get worried about the heat it was so humid...
Swim
  • 26m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

What an Amazing swim today. My weakest leg usually I just seemed to fly in the water and it all seemed so easy I was in the first wave mens under 40. I get out after the first loop and there is like only 15 orange caps or so ahead of me looked behind me and there is like about 100 caps behind me. The second loop was amazing for me just settled into bilateral breathing and concentraing on my roll and really long arm strokes.Got out clicked my watch and it was showing 25.20 minutes. the rest of the time was the wade and run up to transition. I hardly got banged at all in the swim today as I was up near the front and my sighting was perfect today just hit every buoy bang on.

What would you do differently?:

I noticed when I got out of the water and hit my lap time my average HR was at 177. That is my LT on the run. I wondered had I pushed too hard? I felt great though.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

4th fastest transition in T1 despite my wetsuit getting stuck on my chip. In all my races I am always one of the fastest in T1.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 13m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike tucked into my aeros and then watched all the real fast bikers fly past me. Not used to this as I don't usually swim so fast. I felt a little stiffness in my hamstring but didn't think much of it. This course was completly flat for 5 x 5mile loops. on the 4th and 5th loop my right hamstring and and butt was so sore. I just couldn't wait to get off the bike. I carried on pushing as hard as I could but new I was slowing. On the 5th lap I got stuck behind 15 people or so spread across the road I couldn't pass them, next thing I know I look sideways and the race official is writting my number down. I talked to him and said they were holding me up there was no way I was drafting he carried on writting my number down at which point I lost the plot and called him a fu**ing idiot. He told me to come and see him at the end of the race. Anyway came into T2 did a flying dismount with the knowledge I was now heading into my strongest leg, my hamstring was really hurting now but I knew I had done enough to only have to run under 47 minutes to break 2.30 my time goal, easy for me usually and starting to think about a time around 2.26 - 2.27.

(The bike time included my 2 minute penalty so I actually averaged about 21 miles an hour)

Not do this race the bike course just really sucked..
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Oh the pain jumped off my bike hit the ground and screamed the first step I took. Managed to hobble into transition rack my bike. My T time was slow as I couldn't bend to put on my shoes. Sucked it up walked out of transition screaming with hamstring cramps.

don't know
Run
  • 50m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to trot managed this but I couldn't get my leg to go beyond a certain extension watched my heart rate drop as I was running so slow It was all about finishing now. About 10 minutes into the run I had one of my team mates in my AG and 5 other people in my AG pass me I was so frustrated I was almost crying as I normally get passed by no one in my AG in the run these guy's were all the big built cyclist type guy's and I knew normally they wouldn't get close to me . I usually pass 5 to 6 people in my AG as well. But it was all about survival now. I ran the first loop in 25.30 and knew I had no chance of breaking 2.30. My hamstring lossened up a little bit for the second loop and I ran slightly faster. The heat was killing me and the pain was killing me and It all became about trying to break 2.33. (As I knew with the penalty of 2 minutes this would be 2.35)

Sprinted to the shoot to finish in 2.32.59.

This is my slowest 10k time ever. I felt really strong coming into this race and on this flat course with the additional speed training I have been doing I really thought I would go under 45minutes. But I was just happy to finish my family was watching and my 2 and 4 year old had been up since 4.30am I had to finish for them and my wife who was a fantastic cheerleader.
Post race
Warm down:

Got the best massage ever. Which was great I needed it. Talked to the Race official. He had me down for 4 violations but none of them included Drafting. (Crossing the centre line. Impeding and offical. Impeding faster riders, Swearing at an official)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hamstring and the course. This wasn't an ideal course for me. The bike course was completly flat which favoured the tri bike riders. Also I am a good hill climber and do all of my training on hills. I am normally in the top 20% on the bike and Top 15% on the run in my AG. I was no where near this today.

Event comments:

This was a dissapointing race for me. I was really on track to have an excellent race up to half way through the bike. All my races this year I have finished top 10 except this race If I hadn't had the leg issues and had done a 2.27hour time I would have got 8th in my AG and about 50th over all. This sport is a tough sport after podiuming last race and experiencing today's results a lot depends on the day. In thinking what went wrong maybe I pushed too hard on the swim?. I think three main issues. 1/ I don't train on the flats and being stuck in my Aero bars for 25 miles without any break killed my hammy. 2/ In my race fuel I had Spiz and Water and no Electrolites I think I got dehytrated. 3/ My nutrition the week before the race was bad worked in NY a couple of days and went out for beers in NY on Thursday night...

The Positives:
-------------
1/ Swim has always been my limiting factor, today was awesome. If I can swim this good next season beware if you are in AG 35-39 and race in CT.8-)
2/ I managed to tough it out to the end. The Nutmeg Half IM I am doing in Sep will provide similar issues at some stage on the run. I now know I can push through this.
3/ Learning experience. First season of racing this can only make me stronger.

The Mossman team did and awesome job of organising this race. But the course just sucks. Only reason I did it was Cranberry was full. This is the hardest course I have raced and I wont be doing it again 8-)

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/49
Overall: 0/333
Performance: Good
Suit: IM Instict
Course: two loops with a beach run between each loop
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:25 | 24.85 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/49
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: 5 very boring narrow loops of Seaside Park Bridgetport. 2 really sharp 360 degree turns at each end of each loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:50:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/49
Performance: Bad
Course: two loops of an out and back course along the beach.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Park City Mossman Triathlon

2007-08-27 1:15 PM
in reply to: #942024

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Subject: RE: Park City Mossman Triathlon
Awesome job with some tough conditions! You def have to do berry next year.
2007-08-27 2:10 PM

First thing I wondered when reading about your cramping issues was if you had taken in electrolytes... definitely give those a try in the future.  Congrats on the great swim, and that run looks pretty good to me

2007-08-27 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Ah, so you were the one who was next to me at the racks (accent right?). Small world. Great race...I suffered far worse on the run than you -wish I could have split a 50! I would have gone 2:22. No such luck with humidity and lack of O2.
Great swim BTW-but now you know why I like the rack out front
I hear you on the race -not used to all the flats training in the hills of CT -this race doesn't like me so I prob won't sign up again next year.
2007-08-27 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Nice work yesterday. Coming in from Long Island NY I didnt mind the flat course. The number of loops was something different for me though, and I'm not sure how I felt about. Still up in the air about next year. If you haven't already..try Endurolytes, they work well to boost your electrolyte intake. Good luck at the next race!
2007-08-27 6:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA

James,

You said it best to me when you said look at how far we have come mate...

Think of this. January 1st, 2007. Some fat @ss load being a couch potato. August 27, 2007 a bad @ss triathlete who turned himself into a monster in less than 8 months.  We have all come a long way and stuck with what we wanted. You are by far a major inspiration to keep me in this game. 2:30 would have been great. 2:34 with a major hamstring flaw just speaks character on you. Not many people can manage a 8:08 mm in a 10k let alone getting past the cramp and finishing the race you finished. Nothing at all to be ashamed of my friend. We are going to rock the tri world next season, you know it, I know it... its a shame all of them don't know it yet   Keep your chin up pal.

2007-08-27 7:05 PM

User image

Master
CT
Sounds like a tough bike course James! To go round and round on flat in a triathlon is just way too tedious. No doubt the people riding side by side were just too fkn annoying! Too bad about the cramp, but you put together a pretty nice run anyway. And, I think there is a prize for the most number of penalties, isnt there?
2007-08-27 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Just noticed your T1 comment...I didn't realize I had the second fastest T1...just nipped you. The clipped in bike pedals helps a lot (saw you had those too).
2007-08-28 12:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Great race James, both physical and mental. Loops suck. Do they not have enough real estate in Bridgeport to get you out into some REAL terrain? Impressive list of penalties though.

We've got to get you out into the Midwest where you can really open it up on the bike and make flat-road-loving weenies look bad by crushing them on hills!
2007-08-28 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
MA

It was hot out there Sunday and makes racing very different.

Very cool on such a great swim, fast T1....now flat and fast bike course I'd like but getting boxed in sucks....to many folks on the course together maybe with 5 loops of a 5 mile course.

I used to cramp at all my Olys and now take lots of sodium...1450 grams on my bike at Cranberry and only had one small cramp on the run...progress for me but I still need more.

Looking forward to seeing you at Nutmeg...guessing I'll see you only on the out and backs on the run...you are fast!

2007-08-28 11:49 AM

Expert

Great race James...definately do Cranberry next year, one of the best races out there.  I'm like you in that all I ride is hills.  I do search for some flat stretches of road to practice spinning and staying aero...even Cranberry is wicked flat.

It is always frustrating when you can't unleash on your best event.  I hate getting passed on the run as well

Mark

2007-08-29 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT

Wow, 4 violations! That's somethin .

Echo what Mark said about Cranberry- it's a great race!

2007-08-29 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
I know you're disappointed in your race but your still an inspiratoin.  You sure have fire in your belly and don't give up.  Thanks for sharing such a complete race report - it encourages us to see how you overcome the difficulties that we're all going to face at one time or another.  I gotta laugh at your list of infractions and, hey, how many folks could drink 4 pints the night before and do as well as you did.  You're my hero! )  Hope your future swims are just as good, followed by even better rides and runs.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Park City Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed