General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is running so hard??!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-28 11:38 AM
in reply to: #943501

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Why is running so hard??!!

nancylee - 2007-08-28 7:02 AM I have cut down, I ride, I run, I swim, but I am going through hormonal changes which may make it tougher to lose weight. Although you are right about calories in, calories out, I don't think I could work out on the amount of calories I would need to lose weight.

remember that it's not just calories in / calories out.  The quality and timing of those calories is critical.  Eating 1000 cal of complex carbs throughout the day is not the same as eating 1000 cal of fat 2 min before bed.  Your body demands calories to function during the day and especially to work out, so that's when you need to be feeding it.  This includes the calories you eat while working out.  Also make sure you are eating proper recovery meals.

I don't feel qualified to give a detailed nutrition plan, but don't cut calories for the sake of cutting calories.  You need to regulate when you eat the calories and make sure they are being put to good use.

2007-08-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #943340

Elite
MikeTheBear - 2007-08-27 10:44 PM

Here's an example. Say you are performing a bench press. As you lower the weight to your chest, you are performing the eccentric part of the movement. This is sometimes referred to as the "negative" portion of the movement. You have to control the weight as it comes down or else you'd injure yourself, so your muscles are contracting even during the lowering portion. Press up and you are performing the concentric part of the movement. Sport scientists believe that eccentric loading is responsible for the majority of the muscle damage and soreness experienced after lifting weights. In fact, I've seen programs that are "negative only" where you take a weight that's more than you could lift on your own, lower it slowly, then have your training partners help you bring it back up. That's not to say that the concentric portion is not useful because it is.

In running, your muscles have to contract as your foot hits the ground to absorb the impact (the eccentric portion) and then your muscles contract to propel you forward (the concentric portion). In swimming and biking, your muscles are only used to propel you forward - it's all concentric movements.

Thanks Mike, I see the distinction now.

2007-08-28 12:39 PM
in reply to: #944097

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

And to add to Hangloose's statement, which I totally agree with, I have learned that I need to find a way to warm up for shorter runs.  So, if I'm not shooting for a long run where I can warm up in the first few miles, and want to enjoy a shorter (say 3 mile) run, I warm up by walking.  Lots of people just start jogging away, but I don't feel the quality of my run is good.  I usually warm up by walking at a very brisk pace, taking long strides, for about 5 minutes.  Then I'm good to go.

Also, more running helps.  When I was training for a half-marathon, my "short" runs (6 miles) seemed really easy.  Now if I don't keep up a regular schedule each run is torture. 

Good luck!  It's totally worthwhile to seek enjoyment in running.  I am almost entirely motivated by the runners high promise, which I usually acheive when I run if I'm warmed up and am in a good place with sleep/nutrition.

2007-08-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: #942641

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
The First 5-10 mintues are always the toughest when you are running. Watching your breathing will definately help. When you stop and walk try to keep walking at a fast pace. Also when you do your workout try this..

Walk 2 min.. Run 1min
Walk 1 min.. Run 1:05
Walk :45..Run 1:10
Walk :40..Run 1:10

Shortening the rest times a little each time.

Also don't worry about speed, speed will come a lot with the ability to run without walking. If you have to run really slow but you simply keep running thats fine.

Keep up the great work!
2007-08-28 3:30 PM
in reply to: #944135

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
BikerGrrrl - 2007-08-28 12:39 PM

And to add to Hangloose's statement, which I totally agree with,

I knew there was something about you that I liked...

2007-08-28 3:39 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

Wow so many great ideas!  Thanks everyone!

I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one that has trouble stringing multiple minutes of running together. 

Right now I'm running 3-4 times/week.  Essentially every other day.  I've been hesitant to do any more than that because I want to give my shins a day to rest between runs (had major shin issues when I first started).  I started out following the couch to 5k plan from this site, where every run is 30 min. but the amount of time walking vs. running changes each week.  I haven't been increasing the running time along with the plan lately, but I've been keeping the 30 min. thing the same.  Would it be beneficial for me to start doing longer runs?  I was thinking that I should wait until I can actually run more of the time that I'm out there before increasing the total time.  If I start increasing the time, how should I do it?  How much can I increase by?  Should I do one long day and keep the others short, or what? 

Weight is definitely an issue for me.  I've lost 30 lbs but I have at least another 30 to go before I'll be in the healthy range.  I have seen definite improvement as I lose the pounds though.  Lots less general pain caused by gravity, and less of the "earthquake" feeling every time I step.

I would agree that some of this is definitely mental too.  I had a huge mental block in reducing the walk time from 2:00 to 1:00, and I think now my brain is getting in the way again and not liking the idea of doing more running than walking.  I definitely start out expecting it to hurt, which is probably not a good mindset to have.

I've also been working on the breathing some lately.  I've started breathing in for 2 counts and out for 2 counts to keep it regulated and give me something to focus on mentally when I start getting distracted or thinking about quitting.  I'm thinking that those 2 counts probably correlate pretty closely to 2 steps, but I haven't really paid attention.  I'll see the next time I run. 

I've never really thought much about the posture thing, I'll definitely have to look in to that.  I'm going to print out this thread so I have it to refer back to and I'll see what kind of changes I can make.  Thanks again everyone!    

2007-08-28 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
I don't know your attitude when running but a lot of it is mental. If you stay positive throughout your run you will be able to harness more energy when you need to run that 8:00 minute mile. Maybe a more rigored training program is your fix, but a positive attitude when running can also relax you and your muscles.
2007-08-28 8:16 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I've read many of the posts in reply to your running question. Alot of good information that I think should help you. I'm no running expert, but I have logged a lot of miles over the last 20+ years. I didn't always enjoy running...but I really love it now! I have never really gotten too scientific about running...it wasn't until about 3-4 years ago that i even owned a HR monitor. I think the key to running is to find a way to enjoy it. At first for me it was social, I joined a running club and would find a 5K or 10K most every weekend. This was fun, and I would do most of my training with friends. Eventually I met my wife through running. We both still are avid runner's but find it difficult to get running time together. Today most of my running is solo...and I enjoy it as much as ever! This is my alone time (except for my ipod).
Anyway, I think what is most important is to find something about running that you enjoy, a club, a time of day that is more enjoyable, something that is going to take your mind off of how bad you feel (everybody hurts while running). When you discover something that you like about running stay with that. Your shin splints will pass, as will other minor injuries. If you need to walk at any point, there is nothing wrong with that. But try to keep your effort steady. Soon you will find that 30-minutes running is not so hard afterall. I would say not to really push yourself further than 30-minutes until you have a comfort level for that span of time. As with everything, you will see results from practice (just find a way to make the practice more enjoyable).
Good Luck!
2007-08-28 8:22 PM

Veteran
I can't believe I didn't mention this in my first reply but I've got a thought. Have you ever been professionally fitted for running shoes? I always just bought cheap running shoes from the mall up until this past spring. I didn't see why anyone would need a professional fitting from a running shop. Then again I used to have to constantly battle knee pains whenever I did a particularly long or hard run. I complained about this to my coworker who is an avid marathoner and part-time running store clerk and she insisted that I come by for a fitting. I went and it turns out that I have overt pronation (or some fancy word for pigeon toes) and I needed extra support from my shoe. I got new shoes and ever since I've been running in those my knee pain has totally vanished. If you haven't tried it then it just might be worth a shot! Just make sure to go to an actual running store.
2007-08-28 10:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Why go from a 2 minute walk break to 1; why not 1:45 then 1:30?

I have to say I used to hate running; it was hard, I sucked at it; I was slow; it was hard.

After running 3x a week for 2 years I learned to like it and now 2 more years later I really enjoy it. I had some running injuries and missed running and then when I started we were careful to build up slowly. Tomorrow I'm running 8.5 miles and can't wait, next week 10 and the following 12...I love to cycle but this is the training I'm looking forward to most as it is challenging but fun. I share just so you know it can change for you but it takes time.

I told a friend today who hates running, I ran about 300 times before I came to like it....she wanted to ask why the heck did you keep doing it but didn't. It is part of doing tris.

I agree a huge thing is mental about running. I was struggling last year with doing my run speed work and my coach had me rename those workouts as my favorite workout of the week. So I pretended it was so and made a big deal and called it that all the time...it made it light and sort of funny and you know what they became more fun, challenging yes but I no longer dreaded doing them.

Back when I started I ran in the dark so my neighbors couldn't see me..now I run on the main streets in my town and I'm signed up to do an IM....5 years after I started running in the dark. My two biggest thrills last year were run things...did my first 1/2 Mary and ran 5K at 8:38 pace....stunned me as the year before I never blieved either of those things were possible.

It can get better, stick with it and keep positive as you will be surprised how much your view can change and the cool things you can accomplish.

2007-08-29 11:06 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Here are some of the discussions I saw on the web about breathing rates. Not sure how useful they are, but I found them interesting. (Since I love overanalyzing everything! )

http://www.nwrunner.com/features/02-02dr_robertson.html
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0398.htm
http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/breathing_and_running
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/economy.htm
http://mysite.verizon.net/jim2wr/id183.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is running so hard??!! Rss Feed  

of 2