Overall Rank = 92/154
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Swim
  • 14m 46s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think my biggest mistake was that I stayed in the back to start when I should have started in the middle of the pack. I got stuck behind a alot of slower swimmers that I could not get around. I was never able to get my own space in the water the entire time and I got kicked quite a few times from women doing the side stroke. Also when I got out and started looking for the turnaround none of us could see it. There was about ten women wading in the water trying to figure out where to go. I felt calm in the water then entire time but I just couldn't get around anyone. Also, there was a LONG run UP a hill to get to the transistion area that took a couple of minutes to get to so that effected my swim time too.
What would you do differently?:

Start at middle of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Someone had taken one of my shoes and completely undid the velcro straps so that took a few extra seconds to get put together.

Um not really sure...how fast is good and how much faster could I get?
Bike
  • 45m 3s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough bike course with hlls averaging between 6-12% grades. I thought the bike went well though. I passed alot of people going up the hills but then as usual I got passed by alot of people going down, but I pedal most of the way down the hills so I am not sure how much faster I could have gone. The biggest problem I have is that my Cannondale Road bike is very sensitve when it comes to changing there grears. It takes too much time to go from the small chain ring to the largest and back down to get up the big ass hills so I keep it in the small and middle one. If I am not careful changing gears then the chain will pop off and I do NOT want that to happen. BUT....for my next race I will be able to use my new tri bike!!!

Use my tri bike, but I had just gotten a couple days prior so I was not comfy enough to use it yet.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Hmm...again, not really sure!
Run
  • 38m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, this is where the race gets UGLY!!! By this time it was fast approaching 100 degress out and it was HOT. I have never seen so many people walking a run course before and what was funny is that I chatted with people they were very grumpy and did not care...I though was happy! :) The run went straight out into the desert down a hill and back up a hill....long and steady hills. I ran down them and tried to run up them but I couldn't....twice even walking up those hills I got so dizzy that I needed to stop walking all together! There were only two water stations on the run which was NOT enough. I know it is typical to only have two but with those conditions they should have added more. I did the best I could with the conditions and just kept going. Once I got out of the desert part which was about two miles I did better and was able to do a very SLOW jog. But still, this was my slowest 5k EVER!! That does not make me happy but I will be happy because of the conditions.
Post race
Event comments:

It's funny but before the race started there were a group of people talking and laughing and they had said that the night before the weather man had said that if you are training for a marathon or a triathlon then to skip today because it was going to be just too hot!! We all got a good laugh out of it. I thought everyone at the race was super friendly and I had a great time meeting new Bt peeps and chatting with the ones I have already met. This is the first time I have ever gone to a race where I knew someone so that was great!

I got to meet the race director and he told me that he looked at 20 years past weather and that the ave were in the 70's at race start and about the 90's for the Intermediate finishers. Therefore, he decided to start the race at 8am to give the out of towners a break and a chance to sleep in a bit. He said he was shocked at the weather too. He was a super nice person. I think I will do this race again next year if the weather is not so hot.

Last updated: 2007-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:46 | 500 meters | 02m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/13
Overall: 0/154
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: The course was out and back around a barrel. Problem with this is while I was going out there were men from the earlier sprint wave coming in.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:03 | 10.6 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: This was a two loop course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:06 | 03.11 miles | 12m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Performance: Bad
Course: Desert course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-02 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Subject: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon

2007-09-02 12:07 PM
in reply to: #950202

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Lake Las Vegas Triathlon

Nice job Gina!  92 out of 154 - you were definitely not slow! Smile

You did a great job with those conditions and keeping yourself going!  You took a break when you needed and didn't just try to push it all the way.  I didn't fully realize how hot it was until I started reading some of the other race reports!

You'll kick at the end of the month when it's cooler and you're on the new bike! Cool

2007-09-02 3:59 PM

User image

Mesa
Good job Gina! As always, you persevered and took in everything good about the experience and you were happy even when it hurt. Smiling when it hurts makes it so much easier!

You are going to do even better at your next race... tri bike and all.

P.S. You didn't mention if the hills on the bike were fun? Since I have a date with them and a bunch of their closest friends... are they fun hills? super fun hills? Pretty fun hills?
2007-09-02 8:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Hey Gina nice race there buddy, sounds way to hot so good job for sticking it out.

You will go much much faster on your new tri bike.

Sounds like it was a fun race and you met some cool people which is always one of the best things in my opinion of racing... 

2007-09-03 3:52 PM

User image

Las Vegas, NV
Good job Gina. It was super hot out. My wife said she saw a ton of people walking, and just flat out stopping under the shade to cool off.
2007-09-03 5:26 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Out of CONTROL!!  That sounds like some kind of Navy Seal initiation race. But you rocked, and it sounds like you picked up a few good items to go faster next time!!  Congrats...

Oh, and 1:17 T1 is just fine. It doesn't get much faster.

2007-09-03 6:57 PM

Master
Houston
Great job, Gina! 
2007-09-04 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Good job Prancer.  I am proud of you.  I will try not to call the night before next time, lol

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Las Vegas Triathlon Rss Feed