United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 23s
Overall Rank = 145/695
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and ate my usual toast with peanut butter along with a Coke Zero. Had a banana and was out the door. Bike was already in transition since we checked them in the day before. Set up transition quick and got ready for warmup.
Event warmup:

Went for a short 10 minute run to get loose. After the run warm up I came back for my wetsuit and made sure transtition was completely ready. Half way out of transition I go through the race in my mind and realize I never took my bike shoes out of my bag. This is just the first indication my mind is not in this race. (I'll soon find out, my body wasn't into the race either) Head back to my bike and get my shoes out. Everything's ready now.

They wouldn't let us in the water for a swim warmup which really sucked. I have a routine I like to keep and it helps get my heart rate down for the swim. I had to go into the water without a warm up.
Swim
  • 32m 58s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I saw John who I know is a faster swimmer than I am so my plan was to get on his feet and follow them the entire swim. I felt great the first 600m as I stayed on his feet when all of the sudden I started coughing. My chest had flem in it and I was hacking like crazy. I had to take a short break to get my breath and it was all down hill from there. Swim a few strokes and cough, swim a few more and cough some more. I ended up fighting the cough not only through the swim but throughout the entire race.

I cut the neck of my wetuit last week during OWS training and my breathing felt much better. The combination of cough and tightness of the suit made it really difficult to breath. I either need to get a different wetsuit or never race in a wetsuit again. I just can't get used to it and may be one of the very few that actually swim faster without a wetsuit.

I felt horrible after the swim and really wanted to stop after the swim as I new this was really a B-/C race for me 3 weeks before my HIM. I figured I was here so I might as well use it for training, but I didn't want to get sick.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

Get out of suit ok and put on shoes, helmet, and sunglasses and I'm off. Just get to the bike out and one of the volunteers notices I'm not wearing a timing chip. I have no idea where it is. It either got kicked off in the swim or came off when I ripped my suit off.

She said she'd get another chip so they could keep my splits. I told her I really don't care as I don't expect to be overly competitive in this race and I'll just keep going. She said no just wait. Ok, I waited....and I waited... Seemed like forever but it was only 1 minute. 1 minute in transition is HUGE. Got the new chip and I was off. Thus, the slow transition time.
What would you do differently?:

When I got back into transition after the race my chip was wrapped inside my wetsuit. When I pulled the suit off the chip went with it.

Next time I'm wearing a wetsuit I'll check to make sure my chip didn't come off with the suit.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew my legs just didn't have it today as soon as I got on the bike. With 3 weeks to go before my HIM I've been training at peak volume before I taper for that race. This is why we really need to clearly define our A, B, and C races. I'm very competitive and even though I knew coming into this race it was almost a C race it was very difficult to come to grips with the fact that I just wouldn't have it today.

I didn't drink a lot on the bike and I think it was due to the continual coughing. I had about 1/2 bottle of Gatorade as it's all I could take. I had 1 Gu with 4 miles to go and washed it down with a little water. As bad as my legs felt I still had a decent bike split although I have to believe if I was properly tapered I would've come in above 22mph.

The course was great and it was a lot of fun riding through downtown and along Congress Ave. People were out in the cafe's, along the streets and bridges just cheering you on.

What would you do differently?:

Since you ask me that today, I would say taper before the race. But when you ask me this after my HIM, I'll be real glad I stuck to my training plan for my A race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

OK, so the race was way gone and I knew I wasn't feeling my best so I figured I'll take time and put socks on for the run just to make sure I don't get blisters that would effect my last week of long training. Oh, guess what, I didn't take my socks out of my bag. No problem, since I'm just training I'll get them out of the bag, put them on, and go. Dig around the bag for 10 seconds and can't find them. Screw it, I'll run without socks as I normally would for this distance race and off I ran.
Run
  • 47m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Oh my, if I thought my legs felt bad on the bike I had another thing coming. Shit, look at my pace. I think I can walk just as fast as that. I have NEVER felt this bad on a run. I've done many longer bricks than an Oly distance and faster paces than this. I just could not get going at all. I figured I'll just back off and enjoy the race.

One positive about this run is I know that I won't feel this bad during my HIM. If I can push myself through this as bad as I felt I'm not as worried about the HIM run as I was.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out after the race and went straight for the Diet Coke and pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was right in the middle of my peak volume weeks for my HIM. I have no doubt this had a major effect on my performance.

Event comments:

This event itself was a great race. The venue is fantastic and Jack & Adams (and their entire staff) did their usual great job!

This was very difficult for me because I'm used to placing in my age group but there is one BIG lesson I learned.

TRAINING AND TAPERING FOR YOUR A RACE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING RIGHT NOW. IT WILL PAYOFF LATER! I may have felt like crap for this race but I'll be much better prepared for my A race.

Last updated: 2007-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:58 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/695
Performance: Bad
Suit: Sleeveless Vortex
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:32
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:47:50 | 06.21 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-04 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2007-09-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #951358

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Nice job and i'm sure longhorn will go as planned for you. Looks like your headed in the right direction.
2007-09-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: #951410

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
jpb0009 - 2007-09-04 10:21 AM

Nice job and i'm sure longhorn will go as planned for you. Looks like your headed in the right direction.

Good luck on your HIM. You should be starting your taper in about a week or so, so enjoy it!
2007-09-04 10:02 PM
in reply to: #952173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Yup, one more week of high volume and then it's taper time before I head to Cancun IronMan 70.3. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about the taper or the race. :-)
2007-09-05 4:38 PM
in reply to: #952183

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Good job Monday, and Best of luck to you in Cancun!!!!!! We will be looking forward to your race report!!!!!!
2007-09-05 4:47 PM
in reply to: #953189

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Man, I just keep watching all the hurricanes miss Cancun.

Oh, and go Flyers! I lived there 5 years and have been a fan since the Broad Street Bullies.

2007-09-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: #953201

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
rbalazs - 2007-09-05 4:47 PM

Man, I just keep watching all the hurricanes miss Cancun.

Oh, and go Flyers! I lived there 5 years and have been a fan since the Broad Street Bullies.

Yeah the hurricanes have been nuts again this year. I'll knock on wood for ya

It will be nice to do the swim in that crystal clear water down there... have fun

Good to see that there are hockey fans in Texas... Season will be staring here real soon and I can't wait... Just as the tri season comes to a close Hockey begins!!!!
2007-09-08 10:33 AM
in reply to: #951358

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Nice race, especially for a "B" race. I hear you on race priorities. Sometimes you have to let go of the fact that you're not going to be at your peak for each race. That's very difficult for me, too.

But just wait until your HIM! You'll kick butt.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed