General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Try Fitness
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 49s
Overall Rank = 2/10
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Jessica and I got up, got dressed. We walked to the transition area and did all the pre race stuff. I ate fruit & nut bar, tangelo, and drank my perpetuem.

Event warmup:

Stretched. Took the bike for a spin to check the gears. Upon returning and walking the bike back to transition area I stepped up on some curb and rolled my left ankle. Yes bad foot. It felt OK at the time and forgot about it until after the race we were walking back to the condo and was wondering why my ankle hurt!
Swim
  • 09m
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Deep water start was interesting. Trying to get momentum was tough specially when someone bigger than you is trying to swim on you! I did a couple breast stokes (not on her) to pull away from the pile. I noticed she was sandwiched between me and another girl. Got it on video. There was a swell and of course a big set just happen to come during our wave. Relays were in the second wave start. On the way back down the beach Hubby also videoed me doing the breast stroke during the big wave hitting the backwash (there was a wall at one end of the beach). I did about 6-7 strokes because there was about 5 of us all bunched up and were bumping into each other, well I just cruised right through the pack doing breast stroke! That was cool to watch my self do. Didn't know that was what happened at the time.
What would you do differently?:

As Hazmaster had reported in the past bring heavy artillery! Talk to the race directer and have them make more of a triangle course. Even if it has to be a squished one. Per hubby and talking to others there were a few swimmers head on bumping. Also I didn't listen very well to the pre race instruction and wasn't sure if I was supposed to around the first buoy on the way back into shore so I did so I wouldn't get disqualified, (I wasn't the only one!) I did see people cutting in and not going around that may have cost me a minute. See pictures, I was making funny faces at my kids instead of listening.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was included in the swim time, which there was a good run from the beach across some grass, across the street with a medium and a little more grass into the transition area. Per my stop watch my swim was 7:39 and run into and out of transition under 3 min.

I kind of stumbled mounting my bike, could practice that more.
Bike
  • 42m 22s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Well I was hoping that I would beat my time from last year and I felt like I was doing that. I don't think I was as strong on the hills as last year, although I was still able to pass on the hills. There was a bit more congestion this year with the race officials. A couple times when I was trying to pass they were in the way. The USAT judge road by me and was writing on his pad, I was hoping that I wasn't drafting, how the hell do you measure three bike lengths when you are breathing so hard.

I was not planning on racing so I was not doing my usual race prep routine, so I am happy that I did as good as I did.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This is were I just tagged Jessica and it was up to her to finish the race. It was kind of a letdown not being able to run, I am working on getting the foot back to proper function and can't wait to do the whole thing again!

Not get hurt.
Run
  • 28m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Jessica did great! She is 14! When I was her age I was bump on a log, couch potato! She told me she doesn't like to ride a bike. I have to change that. Trying to get her and her mom to do the super sprint next year!
Post race
Warm down:

After my bike I walked the family to the finish line. It was cool to see the fast people come in. I missed the elites for they were just getting in after me! I forgot to stretch while I was warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of normal training.

Event comments:

This is my second time at this race. It is cool that it is all women. I think it helps get more women out there for their first. The race director runs triathlon training workshops, she is a fun motivating person. There are also two other options super sprint, and duathalon.

Went into this race with no intention of placing since we were a two person relay not three. First place was a three person team who beat us by one minute, the third place team was also two person we beat them by one second!

Last updated: 2007-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 500 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 47/10
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit
Course: Three buoys in a row. Water start. Swim down the outside and back the inside along the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:22 | 12 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Overall: 52/10
Wind: Some
Course: Around diamond head crater, two loops through Kahala, back the other side of diamond head crater, very pretty and fun.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:27 | 03.11 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Overall: 0/10
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-18 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only

2007-09-18 9:01 PM
in reply to: #970076

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only
Well done Nancy, great swim and nice hammering on the bike!  Rest that foot up and stop adding to the problem, hope you didn't do any damage to it :0  I am jealous that you did a deep water start, that sounds very cool!  Sounds like a fun day!
2007-09-19 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Great race! The swim sounds crazy - waves bouncing off the wall? I am picturing surfing type waves like we used to see on Wild World of Sports!

And yes, a 14-yr old who likes running and is good at it is fantastic! There is hope for the next generation!
2007-09-19 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii

Nice race, and way to go on the hardware!  I agree that they need to change the swim to a triangle.  I hope that your foot heals quickly. 

2007-09-19 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
You gals from Kauai Rocked the relay!!!  I think your plan with the babysitter was brilliant.  She should be ready to go solo soon.  Let's all write to the race director and talk triangle.  It's too dangerous to swim into each other.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathlon Women only Rss Feed