General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, Connecticut
United States
TriSport Media
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 9s
Overall Rank = 41/200
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:45 or so (the race is about 8 miles from my house). Had toast with peanut butter, walked Abbey, loaded the car and headed off to the race site.
Event warmup:

Got to the site and realized that Will & Peter were doing the timing. Love Greystone, but not for Tris. Talked to them for a while. Ran into Chris, Danielle, Steve and Shannon, finally got into my wetsuit and splashed in the water for a little prior to the start.
Swim
  • 08m 33s
  • 704 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

Because I was racing as an Athena, I had to go off in the first timers wave. There were about 100 people in the wave and I moved out to the very front. Ran out quick and soon found myself fairly far in front of the pack. Found a relay swimmer to draft off of, tried to switch positions about halfway through to let him draft of me, but he wanted no part of it. By the second half of the course I was having a few issues navigating through the slower swimmers from the prior wave. No big issues, I popped out of the water 3rd in my wave (behind 2 relay swimmers).
What would you do differently?:

I would have preferred to go off in the first wave, but otherwise it was a really solid swim. Some post-swim elbow and shoulder aches, but nothing serious.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I have no idea about my T1 time other than it was long. There was about a .4 mile run between the swim out and the transition area. Ran the whole way (in bare feet) and once I was in transition I was pretty quick about getting on the bike and heading off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 43m 23s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I rode fairly well overall. Only two complaints (there are always complaints, I know I'm nevre completely happy): (1) Because I went off in the 2nd wave I passed about 40 people on the bike, the problem was several of them had no idea what they were doing. People were ride on the left hand side of the rode on the side streets and right next to the double yellow on the road making it difficult to pass even though I kept yelling "on your left." One girl asked why I couldn't just pass her on the right!; (2) There was a massive pelothon at the front of the pack. About 10 riders in a huddle. Seeing there was some wind, definately not fair. They did get caught by the race official, but when I taked to her after the race she admitted it was crappy situation and she wasn't able to give out as many penalties as they deserved.

Not much. I know I can get faster on the bike, but that's really just a matter of time.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Quick transition. Saw Chris quick, told him I was doing well and took off on the run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall a good run for me. Was able to pass another 10 or so people on the run. Took it out fairly fast, maintained pace even on the hills and then ran it in hard.

Kepp running. The run is definately coming together. As with the bike I just need to keep working on it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, chatted with Danielle and Steve for a while. Got water and a banana. Watched Chris finished. Chatted some more. Packed up and then waited around for awards. Was pretty psyched about my finish. Even more psyched to find out that not only did I place 1st in Athena, but that had I raced AG, I would have also placed 1st in 25-29 (and I came in 8th overall among all women).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fitness is getting better and the weight is going down, but those are still the major limiters. Losing another 20-25 lbs will make a massive difference.

Event comments:

My only issue with this race was the timing. I love Greystone (they do the timing for all the HTC races I'm RD of) but they don't have chips. Without chips its really tough to time a tri (especially one with multiple waves). As of 24 hours after the race, they still haven't been able to post final results and the preliminary results they have posted still have the "extra" 5 minutes on them (the difference in start times between the first and second waves).

Last updated: 2007-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:33 | 704 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 17/200
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Orce Sonar
Course: Three sides of a rectangle in a counter clock-wise direction. Fairly easy to site the buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:23 | 13.3 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Overall: 0/200
Avg HR = 135 Max HR = 165
Wind: Little
Course: Double out and back on Mount Vernon/Lake Street with 2 left hand turns onto side streets to use as the turn arounds. Fairly flat overall with a few rollers (this the area I ride in for an easy ride so I was very familar with the terrain). The only crappy part was there was a little bit of hill coming right out of transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 0/200
Avg HR = 135 Max HR = 165 (This doesn't seem right, but its what the Garmin said)
Course: Out and back with a little turn around loop. A few decent hills (both up and down) not the flat course the race web site described, but still nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce

2007-09-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #976342

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce

Sounds like a solid race for you, congrats!

Abbie

2007-09-24 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
nice work team Hippo!
2007-09-24 10:28 AM

User image

Master
CT

nice job! you are getting fast all the way round!

congrats on the hardware  

2007-09-24 1:34 PM

Veteran
I am sooooo with you on the timing issue. Even though my w/s always hangs up on the chip, we all like to hash over our splits to find out whether we had a good race or not. Sometimes I manage to get my own splits but in the heat of the race sometimes not. I think for a first time race it's acceptable as I imagine that chip timing adds costs. That race would rock with chip timing.
2007-09-24 9:26 PM

User image

Regular
You were awesome! I have alot to learn. Thanks for the wetsuit advice too. I think I finished a distant second in the Athena group behind you. I had a blast and I can't wait to do another one. Next time I'm out in front in the swim- too many breaststrokers to overtake, although it was good for my ego, LOL. Best of luck on your next tri!

2007-09-24 9:39 PM

Veteran
times are up - now just got to figure out which ones include which T times. I remember that they were yelling for #s just between the tunnel and T1 so swim time is swim + run. Then I don't remember any other number yelling till going out on the run so I would guess that maybe bike includes T1 and T2? My run time suggests that it was just the run time and nothing else. What do you remember about where the timing was?

good job BTW.

Lake Compounce has plans to expand the water park / beach area along Mt Vernon Rd/Lake Ave and will move/reroute that road we rode on to make way for it so not sure where the ride will be for next year of if they will have started by then but that shoudl get rid of the potholes. ;-D
2007-09-25 9:37 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

Per Will--

Swim Time = Swim plus Run

Bike Time = T1 plus Bike plus T2

Run Time = Run alone

Give or take a few seconds on each.

I hope they don't expand too much.  I ride out on Mt. Vernon a lot and dont want that ride to get messed up. 

2007-09-25 11:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Nice race, first in Athena and AG that is Awesome. Man ah live I ish I coudl swim that fast 8-)
2007-09-25 12:13 PM

Veteran
you omitted to say that you were 8th overall woman - whoop!, whoop!
2007-09-26 7:45 AM

It was nice to get a chance to chat with you at the race.  Our splits are always so close, but hopefully I can keep up with you next year after all your IM training! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri to Fight Cancer @ Lake Compounce Rss Feed