United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /157
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/23
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00, 2 cliff bars and a gatorade and drove to the race. Decided to go ahead and sign up as my legs felt pretty good after yesterday's 5K.
Event warmup:

1.5 mile bike, 100 yards or so in the water
Swim
  • 10m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was fine - went off course 2x but not by more than 15 yards. Did not push swim and just swam next to my friend Dave. We had decided earlier that we would break from the pack and then just cruise as the bike course starts off with a climb and there is a 250 meter run from the swim to T1. Dave and I had the exact same time coming out of the water - cool.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to Dave - he is better at OWS and always swims in a straight line - the two times I was off course, he stayed on course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

Great T1 for me - 2:46, 3rd fastest overall time - my best place yet.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 04m 1s
  • 21.2 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped out of T1 and was in second place a few seconds behind 1st, with Dave right on my heels in 3rd. Dave went by me at mile 2ish but I kept both him and the number 1 guy in sight until mile 10 or so.

At mile 11 I was passed and though my legs were definitely feeling the effects of the run the day before, I decided to hammer and see if I could stick with this guy. He was slowly pullin away from me and had maybe 30 feet on me when we hit a nice long straight away. There was big intersection ahead of us with a cop patrolling traffic. The 3rd place guy started to go through the intersection when the cop jumped up and yelled that we had to turn left. The 3rd place guy had by this time been through the intersection and had to turn around. I locked up the brakes and barely made the left. The 3rd place guy passed me a few minutes later cursing about the cop and horrible course support.

I stuck with him and we went through another large intersection that had no cops or volunteers at it. He looked back at me and I told him I did not know if we were supposed to keep going straight or not so we kept on going. Eventually he pulled away from me. I knew I was sitting in 4th at this point and 1st in my AG (my friend Dave is in my AG but registered as an elite). Just as I was thinking this a volunteer yelled only a little further you two. I looked back and saw Damon, a guy who had crushed me at Luray just 2 months ago, coming up on me.

There was another big intersection up ahead and a cop was not paying attention to us. Damon and I both yelled and asked if we were supposed to go straight - he waived us through straight so off we went. About 2.6 miles later, Damon turned around and said we went to far. My computer had reset by this point so I had no idea. As we started on the way back Damon's front tubbie blew. Good news is you can ride on a blown tubular so we did and average about 15 mph the whole was back - we were just chatting away. We went by the cop and both said some choice words. He would not even look at us.

Not sure what I could have done - not listen to the cop as he waived us through?

By my calc - I did 2.6 miles at race pace and 2.6 at 15mph. Backing into my bike time I would have been 46 minutes and 5 seconds on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Was not racing anymore so Damon and chatted as we put away our bikes, etc.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 and decided to just start encouraging everyone rather than be bitter and pissed off. So I told everyone I passed - good luck, or looking strong or something like that. Damon and I jogged for a while together and at mile 1 decided we should race to see who would have won. I jumped out ahead and was about 50 feet in front of him at mile 2.5ish when I saw Shelly123 ahead. I ran up next to her and told her to push to the end as there were very few woman around and she was having a great race. 2nd overall for her! Great job! Cruised in with Michelle.

Definitely could have been a lot lot faster on the run. Damon passed me when I was running with Michelle and ended up at 21:38 compared to my official time of 21:56. If we had raced the first mile and I not cruised the end, I should have been 21 low. Legs felt really strong on the run unlike the bike.

Nothing - awesome to offer encouragement to everyone and help get Michelle across that finish line.
Post race
Event comments:

I was really dissappointed with this race. Numerous problems on the course that cost people time, the awards were sent to the wrong place so no one got an award, etc.

Backing out 18 minutes for the bike detour, :15 seconds for T2, and :45 seconds for the run and I would have been right around 1:21 which would have put me 1st for AG, and 6th overall. Crap that is depressing.

Last updated: 2007-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:36 | 820 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 2/157
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Sleeve Xterra
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:04:01 | 21.2 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/157
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling course with one short, steep climb
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/157
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: General Smallwood Triathlon

2007-09-24 8:37 AM
in reply to: #976357

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: General Smallwood Triathlon
doesn't make it any easier with respect to yesterday, but I think you know there will be races in the future where you podium.  Was great seeing all you guys after the race yesterday.  Next time bring donuts as an enticement to the cops to give you correct directions.
2007-09-24 9:20 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Very very very frustrating You were on track to really have a kick as$ race

But, its much better to have a sh1tty thing happen to you in a tri in a C- race (I mean you did decide to race on Friday - with a 5k the day before and no taper ) then in a A+ race. All races can't be perfect and its great to get the bad luck out of the way now!

Okay - like I said before - you are sick talented and one of those guys that the rest of the field should be VERY worried about. Especially with this kick-as$ run that you are developing. A few more bike miles and run miles under your belt and you are going to be a force to be reckoned with!

2007-09-24 10:43 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
sorry to hear about the course issues.  looks like you performed really well and would have had a great result. 
2007-09-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #976440

Veteran
shelly123 - 2007-09-24 10:20 AM

Very very very frustrating You were on track to really have a kick as$ race

But, its much better to have a sh1tty thing happen to you in a tri in a C- race (I mean you did decide to race on Friday - with a 5k the day before and no taper ) then in a A+ race. All races can't be perfect and its great to get the bad luck out of the way now!

Okay - like I said before - you are sick talented and one of those guys that the rest of the field should be VERY worried about. Especially with this kick-as$ run that you are developing. A few more bike miles and run miles under your belt and you are going to be a force to be reckoned with!

Ditto, ditto, ditto. All you can walk away with from this race is the notion that the field and your competition got VERY lucky. Your time to shine is here, and a cop took it away on the bike. Nothing should be resting on your shoulders, except for the hunger for the next opportunity to shine - the field has now been warned! I tip my hat. ~ Joe
2007-09-24 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Wow!  I'm sorry I wasn't able to stick around and get a chance to meet you.  You are a triathlon machine! 

Way to encourage others once that cop blew a great race for you. 

Laurie

Edited by klgray 2007-09-24 12:10 PM

2007-09-24 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Agree with all that you got hosed. Frankly, though, I blame the race directors more than the cop. How hard would it be to create accurate, scale maps of the bike and run courses that could be studied ahead of time? I'm new to triathlons, but in every one I've done the course maps are either 1) drawn by a 5 year old or 2)(in this case) vague enough/incorrect that you might as well just provide a cue sheet. For participants like me it isn't a big deal, but to allow a situation where the leaders are put off course is inexcusable.

If it makes you feel any better, you still almost beat my bike time.

Awesome job! And as one of the pokies, thanks for all the encouragement you give other out on the course!
2007-09-24 6:51 PM

It's always too bad when things don't go as planned. But - at least your friends will ALWAYS be there when you cross the line! And this crazy group has a lot of finish lines in its future!

Always great supporting!

OOO
Tink
2007-09-26 9:40 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow...interesting race and you are wicked fast!

Strange you fast guys are the ones they send off in the wrong directions. It sucks....but you did good by staying with your friend and encouraging others..that all gets you good tri karma.

Glad it was a last minute race for you...nice work out there!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » General Smallwood Triathlon Rss Feed