Westchester Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 3s
Overall Rank = 262/846
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/49
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:20 -ate a banana had some OJ and a cliff bar. Started drinking water. Got to race site around 5 AM -set up transition area. Saw my friend Brian. Drank 16oz bottle of water
Event warmup:

5:30 AM -15 min run with a few short sprints, then 15 min bike with a few short hard efforts (in playland parking lot where there were lights since it was still dark) with Bri. Drank 20 oz of infinit and 1 gu about 20 min prior to race.
Swim
  • 15m 36s
  • 1500 yards
  • 01m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fastest female split overall. 10th including all pros.
Swim start was OK, but then got into a good rhythm. Because the waves ahead were only 3 min apart I ran into a lot of people and had to swim over them (sorry if that was you :(). Would have loved to have swum with the pros and see what time I could have done without having to go round waves of people and be able to draft off of someone-guess I'll have to get faster at the other two segments in order to do that!
Swim was obviously short -just my luck...I couldn't believe it when I was swimming into shore.
What would you do differently?:

Start could have been a little more aggressive.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Pretty good T1 (23rd fastest split overall). Was able to get cap and goggle in sleeve of wetsuit as I took it off on the way up to transition which I had never done before -works well. Also was able to get wetsuit off quickly. Still can't hop on the bike, but it does not seem to be slowing me down too much.

not much
Bike
  • 1h 17m 25s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt kinda off on the bike. I just was not pushing hard enough -I should have gone faster and tried harder up hills. However, one of my main goals was just finishing this race since I passed out last year so was mainly out there to have fun and conquer my demons...and wanted to save something for the run. Was careful to drink often and finished my bottle by the end of the ride. Also had a gu 20 min into ride and after 1 hour on bike.

Try harder
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

So the finish came up a little quickly and I did not have time to take off my shoes before dismount. So, had to get off the bike with shoes the old fashioned way. Surprised my time was as good as it was considering.

Take more careful notice of landmarks coming up to the finish.
Run
  • 55m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

OK -I can't be too hard on myself because at least I finished this year and my split is 8 min faster than my previous PB in a race (sad-I know).
So, didn't have time to pee right before the swim start so kinda had to go to the bathroom the whole race. Was making sure to drink plenty since I did not want a repeat of last year. Started off at a good sub 8 min pace for the first 2 mile -then decided I really needed to go. Held it till about mile 4 (dropped down to about 8:30 pace)and had to stop and pee behind a bush (at least I know I'm hydrated!). Had a gu and kept running -at about mile 5 started having asthma up a gradual hill. Decided to walk -though saw the chance of a sub 2:30 slipping by. Walked for a few min and took inhaler-ran the downhill. Walked a little more (about 1/2 mile fast walking total) then ran the last 1/2 mile till the finish. This was really mentally tough for me because I could see the exact location where I passed out last year and was struggling from lack of O2 from asthma. My Dad ran up the hill cheering for me where I passed out -this helped distract me from thinking about the past to instead thinking about how silly my 62 YO dad looked.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished -felt totally dizzy no volunteers there to point out direction to med tent -friend Nick spotted me and walked me to Med tent as parents found me. Med tent remembered me from last year -great. Got O2. Felt better after being able to breath again. Drank and ate a little, then felt fine. hung out with friends and cheered on those who had placed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental

Event comments:

Very happy to see that there was Gatorade Endurance on run course instead of last year's Smart Water!
Nice touch to hand out re-usable water bottles to participants as they finished.

Last updated: 2007-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:36 | 1500 yards | 01m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/49
Overall: 10/846
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: out past three buoys, then around two then head back in.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:25 | 25 miles | 19.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 271/846
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: basically all uphill for the first 15 miles, then mainly downhill for the last 10. LOTS of potholes.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:08 | 06.21 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/49
Overall: 592/846
Performance:
Course: mainly flat, but with some short steep hills and some longer gradual hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: Westchester Triathlon

2007-09-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #977484

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon

Nice Race there you are always such a strong swimmer. Sorry about the run if you get put the run on teh back of your swim and bike you would be awesomely fast.

Good job battling through the demons... 

2007-09-27 9:06 AM

User image

Elite

Great race.  I am glad to see you got right back on the horse that threw you.  I liked the image of your dad on the run.  Dads are like that.

TW 

2007-09-27 2:50 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

WOW!!! Nice......actually......KICK swim!!! Sweet job! Congrats on the race. As a swimmer I thought you would have just let the pee go in the water. It's a little faster than finding a bush!

Great report and congrats on the finish! Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westchester Triathlon Rss Feed