Erie Optimist Club
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 35s
Overall Rank = 123/222
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 29/37
Pre-race routine:

Banana, yogurt, cereal bar, Diet Pepsi for breakfast (Hey! It's worked before!)
Event warmup:

Light jogging, a few strides, LOTS of stretching.
Run
  • 54m 35s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I had no idea that Erie even HAD a hill, much less a monster like THAT thing I ran today. Thank God this was only a 'B' race for me. Holy cow, I've been doing hill repeats, on a 200 meter hill - I either need a longer hill, or start doing like 50 repeats per session. I saw a LOT of people get humbled on that beast.
What would you do differently?:

Bring a big freakin' dog and a skateboard for the uphill.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my friend Larry, slammed some water, then jogged to my truck for my PowerAde, more water, and some carbs. More stretching after Lynn crossed the line (she ran her first 10K in 1:08:05 210/222).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A freaking 2 mile long MONSTER hill! I swear they transported this sucker from Nepal to Erie...

Event comments:

2 water stations on the whole route - I opted NOT to carry any liquids, as I figured they'd have at least 3 or 4 stations. No massages, I didn't hear any instructions before "Ready, set, GO!"

Obviously, I had played my cards wrong for this race - I went out, hard, and held it until that hill. Every other race has had very minor hills in comparison, and I gambled and missed my goal. Deep down, I knew that I would need to include more hills in my training, but most of the little town of Erie is flat. Except this course. One more hard-learned lesson in the training book...

Last updated: 2004-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:35 | 06.2 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/37
Overall: 123/222
Performance: Average
Avg HR 163 - Max 173
Course: On the entry form, it said "mostly flat, a challenging hill at the 2 mile mark, then downhill or flat". My @$$! That "challenging hill" was 2 freakin' miles long! The first part was roughly 1 mile long, then it flattened out for about 1/2 mile. Then UP, for about 1/2 mile, then a brief downhill before the final 1/3 mile ascent. THEN we got the downhill part. Overall, the course wasn't too bad, but I almost blew up on that last hill. The course weaved through town, and I didn't see any mile markers after the first 3 miles. 1st mile was 8:08, 2nd in 16:30 - the rest sucked.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-10-30 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Eerie Erie!

2004-10-31 5:24 AM
in reply to: #77538

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Eerie Erie!
I have a skateboard and sled dog harnesses for both my retrievers - let me know when you want to borrow them Good race. It's amazing what they call a "rolling course" sometimes, isn't it?

-Frank
2004-10-31 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

YOU DID IT!!!

Sorry about those hills.  Despite all that, your time was good!!  Your rank was great, too.

Being surprised on race day by hills is no fun.  I think I will make the effort to go and check mine out before next weekend.

Jen

2004-10-31 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Sorry about the surprise hills!! I had the same experience at my first tri - I was convinced that Aurora is flat and thought, "How bad can rolling hills in Aurora be??". Answer - VERY bad!!!!

Anyhow - it looks like you did really well despite the hills!! 8:48 pace is great for a hilly course - especially with a hill that humbling in the first half of the race course. It sucks when you're aiming for a certain time and then the course isn't what you expected, but I think it looks like you rose to the challenge very well

Sub 50 at the Bolder Boulder? Looks like you'll be able to do that pretty easily!
2004-10-31 9:05 PM

Online or Offline
On the entry form, it said "mostly flat, a challenging hill at the 2 mile mark, then downhill or flat". My @$$! That "challenging hill" was 2 freakin' miles long! The first part was roughly 1 mile long, then it flattened out for about 1/2 mile. Then UP, for about 1/2 mile, then a brief downhill before the final 1/3 mile ascent.

DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE WOULD SIGN UP FOR A RACE WITH YOUR DESCRIPTION, REGARDLESS OF HOW ACCURATE IT IS?

Embrace the hills /\ /\ /\ /\
2004-10-31 9:54 PM
in reply to: #77708

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

TypeA Girl Pilot - 2004-10-31 7:05 PM - DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE WOULD SIGN UP FOR A RACE WITH YOUR DESCRIPTION, REGARDLESS OF HOW ACCURATE IT IS? Embrace the hills /\ /\ /\ /\

HA!  That was a clear case of FALSE ADVERTISING!  There were a lot of 1st-timers out there, and I heard many say they wouldn't be back because of that hill.  I've seen numerous races actually post elevation guides to their hills.  People that didn't want to tackle that hill could then have switched to the 5K run.  I would have changed my race strategy, but I would still have done it.

I can embrace a hill, but I needed a dang Sherpa to get to the top of that thing!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eerie Erie! Rss Feed