Silver Comet Races
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a cereal bar with some water. Donned the watch, GPS, and HRM. Hit the can one last time before the race start. Did a little stretching, but other than that, felt ready to run.
Run
  • 2h 07m 31s
  • 13.27 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run more than 10 miles at a time. This race reinforced the notion that I should never run a race where I haven't already completed the distance. Its a matter of preparation. I felt great until the 11.0 mile point, where I began to experience fatigue in the legs and a discomfort with the heart rate.

I had recently changed my running stride. In order to reduce/eliminate heel striking, I've shortened my forward kick and focused on landing upon the ball of my foot instead of the heel. This meant that my foot hit the ground a lot sooner and that my stride shortened up quite a bit. In order to keep up my pace, my cadence increased. All these changes were put into play within the last 2 weeks and stressed my muscles in a different way from my normal stride. For example, my quads had to support a lot more weight upon my foot landing since I was now making contact with more of a bent knee right below my center of gravity. My calves were also stressed since landing on the toe required that the calf already be sprung and ready to roll.

As a result, I think I under-performed since I really tried to focus on form instead of time. I kept this form through the entirety of the race, even those last and painful two.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmm...I will be doing another in a month and I plan on being much better prepared from the perspective of my endurance and the physiology of my stride.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around. There were huge bins of post-race snacks and refreshments. I made a bee-line for the orange quarters. Never in my life has an orange tasted so good. In fact, I must have eaten 15 of those orange quarters. Krispy Kreme also was a sponsor of the race and had a huge supply of those pure, sugary carb hitters for the entrants. I endulged in one of those soft li'l treats. They also had pizza and I made sure to get at least one slice. When else in your life can you eat this kind of crap with absolutely no guilt?

Once I got to my car, I downed a bottle of Accelerade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Endurance, or lack thereof.

Event comments:

Pics below include:
1. Karl and Tom pre-race
2. Karl at the finish (looks like a toe strike to me!)
3. Post Krispy Kreme and adorned with finishing medals.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:31 | 13.27 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly flat, changes in grade were subtle and long. This was hosted on a trail created when some railroad beds were pulled up and paved over, so the inclines and declines were pretty smooth. However, once you hit a slope, it usually lasted for quite a distance. One slope was over a mile long.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-11-01 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: Silver Comet Half Marathon

2004-11-01 10:55 AM
in reply to: #77833

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Silver Comet Half Marathon
awesome job! seems like there are two camps about 1/2 marathon training. some say run up to 15 before hand, some say up to 10 is plenty. my longest before my 1/2 was a 12 mile run. i was so nervous about my ability to run 13 miles, so i needed to go further than 10.
2004-11-01 11:13 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Karl,

Great Job on Saturday! Well, now you can say that the longest you've ever run is a 1/2 marathon. You've got me beat by about 3 miles. And now you know that you can do the run part of your 1/2 Ironman. Hope it lifts your confidence a bit.

-Bethany
2004-11-01 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
Great race Karl, Your gps/heart rate monitor may have made my christmas list after that race. 
2004-11-01 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
COngratulations on your 1st half mary! With regards to your new biomechanics, think of it this way - don't take for granted all of the additional miles you'll be able to do healthily with your new form. Technique, distance, speed - say it with me - technique, distance, speed Two half marathons in one month's time, you sir, are my hero!

-Frank
2004-11-01 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

You truly are motivating. What a great race. Don't get so disappointed on changing your running stride. These things happen. But good race anyway. Ovetta.

2004-11-01 2:06 PM

User image

Elite

Good race, Karl.  I am interested in how your adjustment in mechanics works out.  Many years ago, I went from a toe strike to heel strike and thought I made an improvement in my efficiency.  I made the change after developing a stress fracture in the metatarsals, but I thought that the rolling motion from heel to toe used less energy.  At the time (25 years ago), I thought I was going with the conventional wisdom on the best stride for long distance running.  I have heard a lot more people talk about toe strike style in recent years.  Toe strike is probably for the gazelle-like runners like you rather than the plodders like me. (wink)

TW

2004-11-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: #77927

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

The way it was explained to me was to picture a ball sitting on a table.  Its center of gravity is where it is touching the table.  If it is rolling, to place anything out in front of the center of gravity (e.g. heel strike) is to cause the ball to first, overcome that stopping motion, then to take advantage of the push off of the rearward kick.  It causes you to work much harder.

If, instead, you moved the foot strike to a point right under the center of gravity, there will be a reduction in the loss of momentum and less energy expended due to the shorter forward throw of the leg (the pendulum swing).  When you're running, you actually feel like you're just picking up the foot in the back and putting it right back down.  Its a very strange feeling at first.  Laerka equated it to feeling like Fred Flintstone.

I welcome any and all opinions on the matter.

2004-11-01 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Was there a sale on flourescent T-shirts in Atlanta that we missed???  What's up with those shirts guys???  I know the run was on a trail, but was the glow-in-the-dark shirts necessary???

Good job, Karl!  Congrats on your first Halfy!  Don't beat yourself up too much as a trail run will always slow your times down.  You will be faster on your next one, no question!

2004-11-02 12:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Singapore
Hey, that looks like a good run to me! Especially since you're working on your new foot strike. I've always been a heel striker and like many, I've always thought that this was the right way to run for distance runners.

Can you explain more about this toe strike/mid foot strike business? I'm keen to improve on my running form too =)

THANKS!
2004-11-02 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

Well done! Great race, and great race report.

I'm interested in what shoes you wear when you're practising toe-strike. If I wear racing flats I find I do naturally toe- strike, if I wear my usual (stability) shoes then I strike first about midfoot. I put that down to the built up sole and heel in most shoes, so I'm interested in your experience.

Jane

2004-11-02 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Metro Atlanta
Great job Karl! Another first and good experience under your belt!

Were there any issues with congestion on the trail that limited your run? You had mentioned concerns about the narrowness and the number of runners.

This sounded like it would be a good event!

Alan

2004-11-02 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race!!! I aspire to run that far/fast!!!! I'm hell on a bike and in the water...now if I could only run.......
2004-11-02 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Great Job!!!

I would love to have those times!!!

Do you know if the training Bible has the foot striking stuff in it... I just started to read it and I’m very interested in improving my running technique. I think mine is pretty bad. And again, Great race!

-Dominick
2004-11-02 1:23 PM
in reply to: #78186

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

atree - 2004-11-02 10:12 AMWere there any issues with congestion on the trail that limited your run? You had mentioned concerns about the narrowness and the number of runners. This sounded like it would be a good event! Alan

Alan, it actually worked out pretty well.  The race start was in a Kroger parking lot and the first mile or so was along a 4 lane to the trail.  By the time we hit the trail, the crowd had thinned out to the point where we could all fit on the trail.  If this race grows beyond its present size, they'll need to stagger the start somehow.

2004-11-14 11:57 AM
in reply to: #78303

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nice race, Karl! I am there next year!!

Tony

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silver Comet Half Marathon Rss Feed