General Discussion Race Reports! » Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Half Ironman Distanc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Half Ironman Distanc - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mesa, Arizona
United States
DCB Adventures
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 57m 12s
Overall Rank = 9/39
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Drove out and dropped off my bike at 5am... waisted time... race didn't start until 7am.

Talked a lot with Diana and Gerald from Tribe and some others that were there.
Event warmup:

Swam about a 5 minutes, easy trying to have good form.
Swim
  • 47m 15s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wasn't the greatest swim. I got lackadaisical a little instead of continually grinding at it. I think I went long as I went to the left of the yellow buoy at the cove like the RD seemed to have said but it seems that others were going to the right of the buoy with a diagonal to the next buoy. The water did get a little choppy later in the swim but that is no biggy.
What would you do differently?:

Keep my concentration better and instead of following what the race director described (or what I thought he said) follow the other swimmers more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Good transition. It was a good run from the cove to the T1 area. I was able to get my suit off fast... helmet right on w/sunglasses and quickly through my wetsuit and goggles in my bag and I was off.

Not really anything pretty good transition.
Bike
  • 2h 20m 52s
  • 47 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the climb out of Butcher Jones Cove really well and then started passing people. I felt like I was climbing well and then moving at a real good speed on a flat area when the guy in 2nd on the short course caught up to me. I then used him as motivation to crank it harder and gradually passed him up but later split ways with him when I had to turn and climb the pass again. There was a guy I yo-yo'd back and forth with too as he was a good climber and I was faster on the decents and flats. Ended up passing him in T2. Enjoyed cheering people from the BOP of the shorter race on as I went by them on my 2nd lap. It was neat to see them gritting it out as this was a tough race and anyone who was out there deserved props. Fun hilly ride.

Rode well... will keep grinding at those hills as one can only get better and better at climbing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This transition they take your bike and helmet and hand your run bag to you. Put the shoes on and was off.

Nothing... I ran quickly past the one guy and got the 1 chair that was available and through my shoes, visor and race belt on and was gone.
Run
  • 1h 45m 28s
  • 11 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran pretty well, after little into it though my lower back was hurting some but I kept grinding through it. When I got to run a little down hill my back eased up and felt good for a little. But of course there were more steep uphills all over the place. Twisting and winding. There were many spots were you come barreling downhill right at a cholla cactus.

Near the end of the first lap a lot of people where cheering saying "almost there." I would smile and say "nah, I get to do another lap." :)

Felt really good on the first lap and my plan was to make sure I could get to the finish before 5 hours rolled around. I took it easy up the switchbacks and then cruised on the down part then back up, then back down, then back up, then back down, then when I got to the part where you have to stop and climb up my left calf started morphing. It would keep morphing no matter what I did. I took extra gatorade and a gel at the remaining 3 aid stations but the morphing calf continued. It would go away a little but then would morph again. I walked up the last steep hill and then morphed my way over the river rocks to the finish. Did not have a kick left for this one!

Put down good for the run. I ran well at times but this was a real mean run and I laid down some grindage and did it pretty well. Was happy to see the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Wished my truck was at the finish since I had "the stick" massager in there. (take that as you would like...) Then grabbed a beer and a slice of cold pizza. Then jumped in the swimming pool at the resort. Grabbed another beer. Did I mention that they have a keg of beer at the finish at this race? Hung out a little and cheered the others racers in as I drank another beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course. It was a tough one. Oh... and my slow swimming abilities. Mental effort on the swim could have been better. (was good on the bike and run)

Event comments:

This is a great race. It is point to point on the swim and bike and has a brutal run course after a decently hard bike course. They billed it as "Arizona's TOUGHEST Triathlon" and I have to say it is the toughest one I have done in Arizona or anywhere for that matter. Bring on Silverman!

Everyone involved in this race, whether racing, spectating, or volunteering was great. Was also cool that John (one of my training buddies) showed up to cheer during the race... and of course the TRIBE folk too.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:15 | 2000 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 25/39
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Zoot
Course: Point to Point from Keyhole to Butcher Jones (but having to go out to a point at Butcher Jones before heading into the cove.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:20:52 | 47 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 6/39
Wind: Strong
Course: From Butcher Jones down the Bush highway to Usery Pass, around to Bush highway again and then back up Usery Pass, then back to Bush and back to the lake resort area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:45:28 | 11 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 12/39
Course: Brutal Xterra trail course and 2 laps of it. Starts out with a very steep switch back area then down and back up some more switch backs. Then a small break and then a spot where you have to climb and can't even run. Then more twisting and winding up and down to a arroyo with soft sand, up a steep hill then down along the river over river rocks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 11:08 PM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Half Ironman Distanc

2007-10-08 11:14 PM
in reply to: #997867

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Half Ironman Distanc

Congratulations Andy! Sounds like an extremely tough race... especially the run! Love the hardware too.... BRING ON SILVERMAN

You are one tough man!

2007-10-09 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR

You are a Fountain Man!!  Great job on the race and even though you had some challenging hills you maintained over 20 mph on the bike and kept your run pace good.  Awesome!

2007-10-09 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job Andy! Sounds like one tough course. Great times for such a hilly course. I might have to check this one out next year.
2007-10-09 11:32 AM

User image

Expert

Man that sounds like a brutal course. I'm glad I had an excuse to miss it....he he. Great job out there. Your bike split with all of the climbing is kick a$$! Looks like you're going to definitely be ready for Silverman! Good luck and congrats.

2007-10-09 5:15 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Congratulations on a great race! You did awesome and your times are amazing on the tough course. Wish I was ready for a challenge like that! Congrats on the hardware

You are going to rock Silverman!

2007-10-09 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Congrats on the hardware! I love the part where you stole the last chair in T2.

You are going to kick it at Silverman!

2007-10-09 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
BRING IT ON SILVERMAN!!

WHAT there was hardware? Even for the short course? DAMNIT I will do any race for hardware. Or did you just get hardware for placing in your AG?

Anywho AWESOME job that course sounds B-R-U-T-A-L. But fun. Good STUFF CHILE!!!
2007-10-13 10:54 AM

Albuquerque, NM
Watch out SILVERMAN the evil eye is on its way!  

The bike and run sounds like Tim's and mine weekend workouts!LOL!!!  I'm with Tim in that I might have to think about doing this race next year.  

GREAT JOB Andy, you're going to kick at Silverman!
2007-10-14 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job out there.  A nice tune up race for Silver Man. 

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fountain Mountain Triathlon - Half Ironman Distanc Rss Feed