General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 23m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

I'll start with the night before when we went to dinner with the group of BTers. That was so much fun and it was so nice meeting all of them. After getting home I made my bottles for the race and double checked my bag. I woke up at 4:45am and ate a bagel with PB and drank some water with a NUUN tablet. Got to the Expo center at 5:30am but couldn't get myself to get out of the car until about 6am. I get so worked up before races. I'm glad I did since the traffic began getting backed up including the buses. Set up my transition and found Aaron and my dad.
Event warmup:

I didn't plan on any kind of warm up except as we were walking down to the start Aaron asked me where my chip was. I'd forgotten it in transition so a nice jog to transition and back was good enough for me.
Swim
  • 43m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

For me this was pretty average. I felt really comfortable in the water. I could not see the 3rd buoy and I felt like I wasn't the only one since every time I'd look up all of the pink caps around me were doing the same thing. Once I turned that buoy the sun was out of my eyes and sighting became easier. I was able to catch some of the green caps in front of me. All in all a decent swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Just try and get faster.
Transition 1
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

Long uphill run into T1. This could have been faster since I ran right past my bike and then had to back track. Once I found my bike, I was pretty quick getting out. No socks for me since I trained this way.

Not pass my bike up.
Bike
  • 3h 01m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I had ridden the course before so I knew what to expect. The first 20 miles went by super fast. I felt really good and so I tried to get my nutrition down. That is one area that I still need to work on. By mile 45 my butt hurt and I was ready to get off my bike. I did great with all of the hand ups at the aid stations, I was worried I'd cause some type of accident. The last two hills weren't too bad since I knew they were coming. I was more thrown off watching people walk up the hill across the fence. I was very happy with my time.

Try to take in more nutrition on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Nothing new here, just got my socks on, my hat and sunglasses and out I went.
Run
  • 2h 32m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Going into the race I had certain goals and I had to keep reminding myself of those goals and not think negative thoughts. I was able to run to the first aid station but quickly had to walk the hills and run when I felt good. At mile 4 or 5 I started getting the chills and so I began taking in as much fluids my stomach would take. I didn't feel so bad walking the big hill since pretty much everybody was. I was so happy to get out of the park again because I knew I had did it once and I'll be able to do it again. I was able to cross paths with Erin, Jeanie, Marcy (Dodgersmom), Jill (Texmom) and others and that was so much motivation for me. On mile 9 I saw Aaron, Anna, Avery and my dad walking from the Expo to the finish and that made me so happy. There's nothing like hearing my girls yell "Go Mommy!!" I got into the park and was relieved that it was almost over. On the big hill I was walking as fast as I could and a girl joined me and we continue to encourage each other on until the finish. I loved going through the finishers chute. I did it!!

More hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some big hugs from my family, got a banana and a Pepsi and walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and hills on the run, NUTRITION!

Event comments:

I had set a goal to finish in under 6:30 hours and I did that by 7 minutes. I'm proud of my effort and it made me realize with good consistent training CDA is possible. It was so awesome meeting the BTers and cheering each other on. I can't wait to do this one again.

Last updated: 2007-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Trapezoid clockwise from boat ramp to sand beach area.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:45 | 56 miles | 18.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/15
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: One loop course with rolling hills and a few climbs.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:32:05 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly,two loop course with 4 miles outside of the part and 2.5 miles trail running, lots of awesome aid stations.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-10 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-10 2:13 PM
in reply to: #1000833

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Great job Robin! You were FAST out there! WOW!

Completing an IM is very doable for you! Proper training will get you to that finish line next year.

Congratulations on finishing a Half Ironman!
2007-10-10 2:42 PM

User image

Master

Nice job, and congratulations.

After my first a couple of weeks ago I was left feeling real good about the Ironman as well.

Can't wait till June! Congrats again on a great race!

2007-10-10 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Robin - AWESOME race and so nice to meet you! I am excited to watch your progress in training for IMCdA. I would like to do a full IM someday, but not quite there yet. I am sure I will run into you again at another race. I just saw where my BT Mentor, COgirl, has signed up to do Playtri HIM in Irving, Tx. on April 13, 08 in preparation for her first IM in June. She is also doing IMCda, maybe you need to plan on doing that HIM!
2007-10-10 4:00 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Robin
2007-10-11 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job Robin. Lori and I enjoyed meeting you and your husband. Congrats on beating your goal time.

2007-10-11 9:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Way to go Robin!  Great job pushing up that big hill.
2007-10-11 11:34 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

That's awesome you now feel that Ironman is now possible!  Great race!

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed