Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 4h 12m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Title: short on training, big on hopes and long on report!
Well I had big hopes for this race to be a PR/BQ, but the lack of training (only 4 solid weeks), the altitude (5,500 start) and faster pacing then I should have been (4 miles below 8 min/miles) all set me up for a big upset. Back at the last week of August I talked with Jorge about the possibilities of me BQing at this race. We agreed it was slim but I promised to devote 100% to my training and try and if on race day I was not close or had issues, I would make it a long training day and try later this fall. But I whole heartedly wanted to qualify this race. So I went at training 100% for this race. that lasted all of 4 weeks until work jumped in the way and then illness. So I came into the race with 3 weeks of reduced workouts, stress and recovery from illness. But I still had high hopes... until I was at mile 17 of the course.

St. George is labeled a fast course, starting at 5,550 and ending at 2,500 ft elevation. I did research to see how that might affect my chances and everything I read said that if you can not be there the 1-2 weeks before or can not train at altitude, then you should arrive less then 12 hours before the race. I raced Boise last year at around 2,500 ft and had no problem. So I thought I was on track and went on with the plan to PR/BQ.

We arrived in St. George (2,500) on Thursday. Went to registration friday and drove the course. The course is net down hill 2,500-3,000 ft, but that does not tell the story of climbing an 8% grade for 1 mile at 7.5-8.5miles and then have false flat uphill from mile 10-12 for another 200 ft. then at miles 19-20 there are several rollers and a significant hill at mile 21. The down hills were amazing, but definitely something that needs to be trained on.

Race day: got up at 3 am after a night of rocking and rolling all night. i might have gotten 2-3 hrs of sleep. I had a lot on my mind, including the course and the idea of BQing. Ate a bagel and a banana. Drove downtown to the buses and on a bus by 4:15 am.

Before I continue, this course is the most beautiful course I have ever run. The red rocks and dessert with beautiful views in all directions. You are bused out 26.2 miles at and sit by bonfires until the start at 6:45 am. It was 42º and very dark at the start. Wore extra clothes to stay warm and dropped them at the truck 30 mins before start. Kept a trash bag on to stay warm since I was running in short sleeve and shorts. walked around, stretched and then lined up between the 3:40 and 3:50 pacers. I figured I would try to stay with the 3:40 if comfortable as long as possible.

Gun went off and it took a minute or so to get to the start. Running in the dark with 6,200 other runners is fun. but the pace felt good so I tried to find a clean spot. Found a good group of runners and ran with them for a mile or two. did not look at watch since it was dark and could still see 3:40 balloons. Then around mile 3 I was right with the balloons. It was very comfortable and stayed with them. Started to chat with a couple of the runners who were staying with the pacer. The pacer said he was going to run slower the first half and negative split the second. Which I thought was great, because that meant I could run with him for the first half and be good. Well before I knew it we were at mile 7 and running faster then 3:40 pace. Then came the hill, the pace went up to mid - high 8s and it was fine on the legs. But the lungs started to feel the elevation. It took me the next mile to get back to a comfortable breathing. So I made sure that any hill I backed off so as not to get in such oxygen debt. It seemed to help some.

Mile 10-12 were false flats uphill so I tried to take it slower. Then came some nice down hills and I was moving again. before I knew it I was through 13.1 in 1:48.42. A bit ahead of the 1:51+ I was supposed to be there. Then came mile 17 were I started to feel a little weird so I started to do damage control, walking the water stop. I let the balloons get further ahead of me. I slowed the pace to 8.45+, thinking that would help. Water stops were every 2 miles so at 19 I stopped, walked the water stop, trying to get in more fluids. And it was at this point I realized that I was behind in nutrition, basically only having done about 2.5 gus, not enough. I continued on at my slower pace still hoping to salvage the race. but at 21 I stopped at the water stop and realized my day had turned into that long training run.

As I came to a stop, starting to walk, I could not walk a straight line. I grabbed 2 waters, 2 gatorade. A volunteer asked if I needed help as I stumbled along. I continued on, hoping no one would pull me from the course. I thought I would walk until I could walk straight. well that took over a mile and a half. By then the legs had completely locked up. It was at that point I put a smile back on my face, looked at the woman walking next to me and said "wow, isn't this a beautiful day." she smiled in agreement and then started running. I continued my shuffle walk. At mile 23 I had the put icey hot on my legs (more for the rub down then the icey hot). Got my water and Gatorade and continued on.

At the end of the water stop I started a jog. At which time it became very clear to me the I had some serious blisters on my 2 middle toes. I jogged about 50-60% of mile 23-24, the about 75-80% of mile 24-25. walking the down hills as the toes hurt too much on the down hills. then I jogged all of 25-26.2. Those last 5.2 miles were a time of learning and contemplating.

I knew it was a long shot going into the race, then I knew at mile 13.1 that I was pushing the pace, but I had to try. I had to. I just had to see what I could do... but in all that excitement and feeling good I forgot about nutrition and pacing.

In one hand, the finish was bitter sweat. And the other, it was a learning experience and a way of getting me closer to my goals. I now officially can become a marathon maniac, I have 10 states. I have finished 12 marathons (1999 Seattle, Washington • 2000 Ocean State, Rhode Island • 2001 Washington Marathon (1st and only year) • 2001 Baltimore, Marilynn • 2002 Philladelphia, Pennsylvania • 2003 Dublin, Ireland • 2004 Twin Cities • 2005 IM Wisconsin (yes IMs count) • 2006 IM Lake Placid, NY • 2006 Boise, Idaho • 2007 IMCdA, Idaho • 2007 St. George, Utah). I also started the 2005 Marine Corp marathon and walked 24 mile with my mom before we were taken off due to time.

Now this is not the end for 2007. I will recover this week and see how the legs feel next week. At that point I will pick another race in late Nov/early Dec.

side notes:
1. St. George is a great race, but be sure to have altitude training and train for big hills at 7-12.
2. Go to Zion and hike the narrows the day or 2 after. Hiking in 49º water for several hours really helps the legs
3. There is a good chance you will lose a toe nail or 2 at this race. I have one gone and possibly 1-2 others.

splits (no hr because monitor would not work even with changing batteries :( )
1. 8.12
2. 8.06
3. 7.49
4. 7.54
5. 8.06
6. 7.40
7. 7.38
8. 8.39
9. 8.38
10. 8.24
11. 8.32
12. 8.31
13. 8.28
13.1 = 1:48.42
14. 8.34
15. 8.02
16. 8.07
17. 8.50
18. 9.14
19. 9.24
20. 9.14
21. 9.21
22. 16.16
23. 15.09 stopped at waterstop for a minute or 2/watch on auto stop/start
24. 13.11
25. 11.04
26. 9.47
26.2. 2.49

What would you do differently?:

train, pace better, stay on top of nutrition (all things I know how to do and did not do)
Post race
Warm down:

walk around and find family

Event comments:

This is a fabulous vacation race. The scenery is out of this world. The course is a lot tougher then you may think with a net down hill. The water stops were a little disorganized, but the volunteers were great. The medal is one of the nicest ones I have ever gotten.

Last updated: 2007-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:12:14 | 26.2 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Start 26.2 miles northwest of StGeorge and run in to town. Point to point.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-11 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: St. George Marathon

2007-10-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1002363

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: St. George Marathon
By then the legs had completely locked up. It was at that point I put a smile back on my face, looked at the woman walking next to me and said "wow, isn't this a beautiful day."

You should be very proud of yourself and your efforts, Heidi. You simply are an amazing athlete and a stellar person. Your attitude during races—whether they are sprint tris, Ironman events, or marathons—never ceases to amaze me. The fact that you could put a smile on your face and keep your spirits as positive as possible is inspirational.

I know you must be disappointed to miss the BQ, but it will come. With a heart as big as yours and that golden attitude, you are sure to succeed.

I look forward to seeing you race another marathon this season. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. If you can't find another marathon to do in 2007, I am probably running Miami on January 27.
2007-10-11 10:17 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

ouch, it seem you have it rough after mile 17 but I am happy you pushed and weren't affraid of blowing up. I must confess I feel bad because I failed to consider the running course. when we discussed about the small chances for BQ and came up with an agressive 4-6 week plan to *try* to qualify, I look up for the race but I totally missed the altitude factor. (I take the blame for that me)

Anyway, rest and anjoy the recovery week.

2007-10-11 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Way to gut out the race and make the best of a tough situation. Great RR and tips. Best of luck in the fall/winter mary you choose.
2007-10-11 1:57 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
You did awesome for what's been going on in your life!  And I hear ya on the realization smile!  Great Job Heidi!!!!
2007-10-12 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great effort and additude! you had some nutritional, pacing, and altitude issues, but those are all easily corrected. i have no doubt you have the ability and the fitness, so keep your head up and give it another shot.

those downhill courses look so fast on paper, but my quads are wincing just thinking about it. also, i'm not sure why the 3:40 pace group was running 7:50's through mile 7 (and they told you they were planning to negative split)! you are going to have to trust yourself if your pace group isn't holding true.

thanks for the great write-up. make sure you re-read it the night before your next marathon.

2007-10-14 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Great report, Heidi! Your effort and attitude are awesome!!! Hope you're recovering well and the blisters are all healed up!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. George Marathon Rss Feed