General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 52s
Overall Rank = 343/490
Age Group = 40-44M
Age Group Rank = 56/72
Pre-race routine:

Predictions for my Olympic on Sunday:
1500m Open Water Swim - 35 min
T1 - 5 min
40Km bike - 77 min
T2 - 3 min
10Km run - 55 min
Total - 175 min or 2 hrs 55 min

Peanut butter on Eggo Waffle
Drove down to Reunion Arena. Got T2 setup and hopped on the bus for Joe Pool Lake. Setup T1. Danged chilly out there. Wind was ~15 mph and I didn't even think about bringing extra clothes for before the race. I was just trying to minimize the amount of stuff to put into my bag. Put on the wetsuit and stood downwind of a van.
Event warmup:

Watched the pros swim. Dang! Those guys & gals are fast. Stretched arms and shoulders
Swim
  • 45m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

First 300 yds were fine. I was pacing myself fine and just kept repeating "Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming." Take a stroke for each word and I'm doing fine. The goggles started leaking. Okay, just roll onto my back and fix this. Got them reseated and started swimming again. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Goggles leaking again. Fixed them again and figured out my straps had slid down. Repositioned them up. This time when I started swimming, my breathing went to hell in a handbasket. I couldn't breathe. Breast stroke for a bit and then backstroke. Calm down. Get my breathing under control. Start freestyle again and again the breathing went bad. From that point, I alternated between breast stroke and back stroke. The wind was a pain coming back into it as small waves were breaking over my head.
What would you do differently?:

My open water swim practice. Just keep swimming.
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

I really had to pee coming out of the water. Stopped at the porta-potties and peed for at least a minute. Took one electrolyte tablet and 1 shot of gel followed by water.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 42s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The rollers were fun once we were heading south. Some of them got a little nerve wracking as the roads were older with cracks and bumps. I would be screaming down a hill and see stuff at the bottom. Stuff = water bottles, tubes, water bottle brackets, CO2 cartridges,etc. At one point there was a steel plate across the road (assuming a hole underneath) at the bottom of a hill. There was at least a dozen yellow poofies from people's aero bottles. Coming across the bridge was a beautiful view of downtown. Tried to thank all of the many volunteer & police out on the course. Took one shot of gel about 40 minutes into bike. At mile 18, really pushed. Overall, a fun ride.

Ride the course before the race to become familiar with it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Run
  • 52m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Electrolyte tablet at first aid station. Gel shot at 2nd. Walked about 3 steps thru each aid station to get sips of water. I haven't been able to run and drink at the same time yet. First lap I was cruising, trying to keep HR <175 pretty successfully. At the split for the finish or 2nd lap, I recognized DocShock with his Hawkeye hat. I thought he was just standing there waving the peace sign but finally figured out he was saying 2nd lap that away. On the 2nd lap, I focused on keeping my foot strike rate up. I saw DavidB and his wife at this point. He was wearing his TeamJavelin gear and he yelled out go Javelin. After about 50 yds, it dawned on me that it was David. At the Dallas Athletes aid station (1.2 miles left on the loop), I started pushing hard. I caught up to one 36 yr old and we ran together for the rest of it. He seemed to be pushing hard also. We ended up crossing the finish at pretty much the same time.

I was happy with the run. But to improve, I will need to continue running.
Post race
Warm down:

Ice cold towel on my head. Water, fruit, proteinini, stand in line for massage. Saw several BTers gathered but I had been waiting in the massage line for about 25 minutes at that point and I was getting close.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim

Event comments:

The number of volunteers on the course was amazing.

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:05 | 1640 yards | 02m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 68/72
Overall: 464/490
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 166
Suit: Yes Sleeveless
Course: Kinda P shaped Start was 4 person wave every 10 seconds going down the boat ramp. This spaced everyone out kinda nice.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:42 | 24.85 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 44/72
Overall: 255/490
Performance: Good
Avg HR 170
Wind: Strong
Course: First 3 miles out of T1 were uphill into the wind. After that the next 5 were still into the wind but rolling hills. Then we turned and got almost a tail wind with more rollers.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:32 | 06.21 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/72
Overall: 235/490
Performance: Good
Avg HR 178
Course: Two loops thru downtown Dallas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-16 10:08 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-16 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1011368

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic
great job out there... sorry you couldn't escape the hawkeye's fans  
2007-10-17 10:34 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job Ken! Nice numbers for your first Oly
2007-10-20 11:08 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great race, Ken!  You were the only other person I saw in a Javelin outfit, so it was easy to pick you out as you ran by.  Glad you had a good time and even got to enjoy a massage.  :-)
2007-10-21 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Nice race.  That swim was pretty tough for all of us.  The wind and the chop on the way in was challenging.  You perservered...good job.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed