Rochester Orienteering Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 8s
Overall Rank = 34/102
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 4/28
Pre-race routine:

Dressed and went to pick up the babysitter. Didn't eat a bowl of raisin bran until I'd come back home. Drank coffee on the way. Drank water when we got to the race.
Event warmup:

Did a good warm-up run with Dudley, and a bit later on ran with Rob. This was the first time I tried out my SECRET WEAPON - my trail shoes were fixed with small machine screws on the soles the night before so I could have cleats for the hills!! :) They worked great and I'm glad I (Rob) did it. My feet were not bothered by them either.
Up until 5 min before the race I was going to run with music, but then decided against it. I thought maybe I would do better with my own mental game pushing me along. I think that was probably the right idea.
Run
  • 54m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with Rob. We zigzagged our way through people for awhile. I wanted to get past as many as I could so I didn't feel like I was getting blocked once we got on the trail. I forgot that the trail system is fairly wide at the start, so that was wasted effort. Before the 1st mile, I decided I didn't want to keep up with Rob. It was a no-brainer for me. I thought I might catch him later on if he pooped out, but I never saw him again until the finish. He has really improved his running, there's no question.
I don't know what my 1st mile split was. At the posted mile marker my watch said 7:33, but Rob's Garmin said he ran his in 7:34 and he was ahead of me by that point.
It's such a tough course. I was determined not to walk anything, which I didn't (consciously). But some of the hills were so steep you can't help but slow to just about a walking pace and just put one leg in front of the other. I had a few mental break-downs, where I just hated the course and I couldn't wait for it to be over. Most of my mental effort, though, went to paying attention to the trail so I didn't kill myself on a rock or root. I never really had anyone to run with to keep me going. Or at least there wasn't anyone I thought I could keep up with for too long. And it was driving me a little nutty from about the 1/2 way point on, that I didn't know how far I'd gone, or how much I had left. A lot of people had Garmins, but, in my house, Rob's got 1st dibs on the one we have, and he was long gone!
With about a mile left I was able to pick up the pace and finish strong. This is where I straightened up my back, used my arms more, and lengthened my stride. I began counting right foot strikes to help me - for no other purpose but to pick up the pace. I wasn't timing them.

I actually shouldn't bitch too much! I improved on last year's time by 57 seconds! Rob improved by about 3 minutes!
What would you do differently?:

If I'm going to run in hilly trail races like this, I need to train on hilly trails!!! I honestly don't think I will do another race like this if I don't start training appropriately for them.

Post race
Warm down:

Drank a lot of water, talked to Rob, and cheered Jackie and Dudley in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training and, more specifically, lack of hilly trail run training.

Event comments:

Having Yellow Jacket time the race was a significant improvement over last year. And registration seemed to go much more smoothly. The race is tough, but it's a terrific challenge. The route is very well marked.

Last updated: 2007-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:08 | 06.21 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 34/102
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 7:33????
Course: Hills, hills and more hills. And when you think you can't take another hill, here comes one. With the exception of the first 1/2 mile, the entire course is on trails in the park. Scattered with leaves, rocks and root stocks.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-10 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Mendon Trail Run

2007-11-10 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1047185

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Mendon Trail Run

..the memory of the toughness will disappear....and you will be ready again next year!

Did you seriously run up the gravel bit??? Wow!

Congratulations on achieving your goal (and being so nice as to let your hubby beat you!

2007-11-10 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1047195

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
jackjack - 2007-11-10 4:41 PM

..the memory of the toughness will disappear....and you will be ready again next year!

Did you seriously run up the gravel bit??? Wow!

Congratulations on achieving your goal (and being so nice as to let your hubby beat you!)

I wish I could say I let him beat me! 

2007-11-10 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Congrates on the improvement!!  Sorry for the mental game going on in your head.  Thanks for making me do this race.  Can't wait to get Jackie out on those snowshoes. 
2007-11-10 8:48 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Congrates on the improvement!!  Sorry for the mental game going on in your head.  Thanks for making me do this race.  Can't wait to get Jackie out on those snowshoes. 
2007-11-11 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Nice job on the race!  It sounds like it was really tough.  I love trail runs and I need to get a trail race in sometime soon.

2007-11-12 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Nice job on a tough course!  I would think that trail running would be difficult even if you trained specifically for it.  You'll recover and be ready for the next one, I'm sure!  Great race report too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mendon Trail Run Rss Feed