General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 25s
Overall Rank = 78/517F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/60
Pre-race routine:

My second grandson was born Saturday morning (the day before the race). We kept my first grandson overnight with us while his parents stayed at the hospital. Darien is a great sleeper and normally sleeps until 8:00am, so my younger daughter was going to stay home with him while my husband and I went to the race (we would need to leave the house at 5:30am). I had packed my race bag and set out my race clothes the night before so I could sleep as late as possible Sunday morning (we had gotten up extra early Saturday morning for the birth, so we were a bit tired). It turned out to be a good thing that I was packed the night before. My grandson woke up at 4:30 not feeling well. He was already on antibiotics for an ear infection. He woke up with a slight fever and a very stuffy nose. So I spent most of the next hour giving him medicine and trying to get him back to sleep. I got him back to sleep at 5:15 and then I quickly dressed and ate. We made it out the door at exactly 5:30.
Event warmup:

When I arrived at the race, I had to go pick up my race packet (I chose not to come the day before to get it because I already had to come to Wilmington on Friday for a class for work - I didn't want to make the drive 3 days in a row). I had no trouble getting my packet, but they were out of race shirts in my size. They took my name and size and told me they would mail me one. I then went to get my chip. After I had my race number and chip I found my family (my parents, husband, sister, brother and two nephews had come to see me race - all but my husband lives in Wilmington). I pulled my race number out of my race packet and looked for the safety pins they said were in the bag. There was only one!! I was going to go back to ask for more, but my mother told me she had some in the car. So while I waited for my father to get me some more safety pins, I went and stood in line for the bathroom. By the time I got back, they had the pins and I attached my race number to my shirt. This all took about 30 minutes and I still had 30 minutes left until race time.

My warm-up consisted mostly of just trying not to freeze! It was cold. I had decided to wear shorts, a long sleeve shirt and gloves to race. I had that on with sweat pants and a jacket until the race start. While I stood around waiting for the race to start, I was wondering if my decision to wear shorts had been a good one! I ran a few strides and did some light stretching. When we were 5 minutes away from the race start, I walked over to the start line and took off my sweats and handed them to my husband.
Run
  • 1h 46m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was hoping to finish is 1:45 today. I started running and checked my Garmin to make sure I wasn't running too fast. I was running right where I wanted to be, so I just settled into that pace. A lot of people were passing me at this point. I was glad I hadn't talked myself into changing from my shorts into my tights. By mile 2 I had removed my gloves and pushed up my sleeves. I wasn't hot, but I was comfortable. I ran in this race last year too. I had forgotten how hilly it is. It isn't really "hilly", but after running marathons in Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach (which are both completely flat) I was not expecting this race to have so many hills. It is the beach afterall - isn't is supposed to be flat?

I felt good through the entire race until the last 5k. I started passing people a few miles into the race. I guess all those people passing me at the beginning were starting to slow down! I was on pace to get the time I wanted. Then the wind picked up. The last 5k was very windy. The headwinds slowed me down some, but I thought I was still running fast enough to make 1:45. Even when I crossed over the bridge and could see the battleship to my right, I thought I had made the time. But as I crossed the finish line, the clock was reading 1:46. I was a little disappointed.

I didn't get the time I was going for, but it was still a 2 second PR (hey, a PR is a PR). And I set the 1:46:27 PR in Virginia Beach over labor day weekend. That course was very flat. Also, I have missed quite a few training runs the last few weeks due to a nagging injury I am trying to get over. So, overall I am happy with my results.
What would you do differently?:

Run slightly faster. Although I don't really feel like I left anything on the course, so I am not sure I could have run any faster??
Post race
Warm down:

My husband met me at the finish line and put my jacket on me. He wanted me to put my sweat pants back on too, but I wasn't ready for that yet. I walked around a bit and got something to eat. I saw Nick from BT giving out pizza slices. I spoke to him for a minute. After a few minutes, I was starting to feel cold again, so I put on my pants. Then I did some stretching. Once I felt basically back to normal, my husband and I got back in the car and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being able to train as well as I wanted the last few weeks.

Event comments:

This is a good race. It is well organized and all the volunteers are great!

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:25 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/60
Overall: 78/517F
Performance: Good
Course: The course started and ended at the battleship. We left the battleship, croseed a draw bridge into Wilmington. Then ran along the river on the stone road (Market), then through Wilmington and back over the other draw bridge back to the battleship.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-12 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K

2007-11-12 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1048952

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Subject: RE: Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K

Congrats on a great race, Carol!  You are a machine.  I hope the leg didn't act up too much following such a great effort!

I'm going to be thinking about your race next weekend in Philly...I hope I can come close!

2007-11-12 12:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great job dude, a PR after an injury, that's awesome!
2007-11-15 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great effort out there Carol

That is very cool that your GS was born the day before the race. I bet at some point, he will enjoy seeing pictures of the first day of his life with Grandma out running a Half Marathon.

Sounds like a very strong effort out there with a great finish. (New PB is always good) Oh, and 6th in your AG definitely puts you at the front of the pack.

Oh, don't know if you are aware of this, but you are 1:24 away from a Guaranteed Entry to the New York Marathon. (You need to run a Sub-1:44:00 to Qualify)

Good On Ya

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-11-15 10:43 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battleship North Carolina Half Marathon & 5K Rss Feed