General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potty hypothesis................. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-02-05 3:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Subject: Potty hypothesis.................
I was just sitting here looking at the times of the 2003 IronMan and thinking about what time I would like to complete it in and a thought came to me……. if I complete the race in like 14 hours…. And that is nonstop, and I would be drinking tons of water………..What do you do about potty breaks?!?! I have never seen any ex-hydration stations anywhere…. So, feeling quite clueless here, would anyone care to fill me in on the great mystery? LoL! Jack...

2004-02-05 5:05 AM
in reply to: #6077

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Potty hypothesis.................
ok, remember, you asked for this!

Some people actually take the time to get off the bike and take care off business. Others....well, let's say they don't get off the bike, they just go. The guys I know have perfected a way of rolling up a leg of their bike shorts and letting loose. The women seem to end up peeing in their shoes. I think I'd have to get off, no way I'm pedaling for hours in pee-filled shoes!

remember, you asked!

2004-02-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #6078

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
yeah, i've seen guys pee while riding too. Too bad the swim doesn't come midway...
2004-02-05 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
I spent over 7.5 hours doing a half ironman. There were porta potty's along the way. I stopped about 10 miles into the bike only to find it occupied so I went on the opposite side. I stopped at the beginning of the run due to stomach cramps but that was it.

I bet you were reading that article in the bathroom!
2004-02-05 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hmm--

Perhaps you can find the perfect balance of hydration... some sort of zen thing, I'm sure. You know, intake just what you need for your body to sweat out.

I mean there is still the uric acid poisoning possibility, but hey, we all have to take risks!!

My last oly, a guy in front of me stepped to the side of the road (and let me tell you it was crowded! with plenty of people going back and forth--route was an in and out) and peed. He didn't even bother to shield himself. I mean why bother, right, there was no where to go! But I cracked up. Gave me a good laugh, and afterall, as a woman, I was a little jealous. I, personally, was anxiously awaiting a porta-potty without a line. Not that my time was so great, I was just worried about my legs stiffening up.

As far as I can see, modesty sort of goes out the door with triathlons. Very humorous sport we do.

Last thing, they actually manufacture things that you can attach to your bike so that you can... funnel? yourself off. I know of a person who does hard core long distance rides who has this. At least it resolves the peeing in the shoes issue!

Dana
2004-02-05 3:37 PM

, Alabama

I did a big race in Spain last year.  The only port-a-potties were at the transition area, which was fine for the run since it was 5K out and back loop (to be run 6x), but the bike went out in the middle of nowhere.  A few days before the race the team was driving the bike course and I asked the manager about the facilities and everyone just started laughing at me.  He said this is Europe!  You just go where you need to!  I was definitely naive (sp?), but got over it.  One of my teammates was so bold as to squat down and pee right in the transition area right before the race was to start because she didn't want to wait in the line! 

Sharon

2004-02-05 5:08 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Maybe she was marking her spot!
2004-02-05 8:43 PM

In my shoes??? I don't think so. I'm with TriMom on this one --- stop before my shoes are the only recepticle!!! Fortunately the Sprints are not long enough to cause me to need a stop. Maybe that's partly because I sweat it out (I am a sweat-er).
2004-02-05 10:15 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
I wife just came in and asked if I was going to alright, I'm LMAO!!! I love potty talk, I know I need to grow up. Is it bad to hold it, I can hold it for a while.

JR
2004-02-06 2:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
Hmmmmm..... Oh boy,,, LOL! I am going to have to stock up on some cathiters when I get ready for the IM.. lol. the slip on kind of course, ;-) thanks,, (I guess,) for all the info! LOL!
2004-02-06 7:16 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
I've also heard people say that peeing in your wetsuit is a wonderful experience as well. EWWWWWW!

2004-02-06 2:44 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Peeing on the Fly
Well, that is one advantage that we guys have over women; we can pee while riding without getting our shoes wet!
2004-02-06 2:51 PM
in reply to: #6178

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
"I've also heard people say that peeing in your wetsuit is a wonderful experience as well. EWWWWWW!"

The only people I've heard say this are scuba divers, and I have to agree, when you've been out in cold water for a while, you welcome your own warm puddle. Someone else's warm puddle, on the other hand, is never good.

Americans (and I'll add Aussies to the generalization) seem more nervous about peeing in public than Europeans. We spend a lot of time with friends and family in France, and when we come back there's always an adjustment period as I retrain my little boy not to pee whenever and wherever he feels the urge! The look on the face of his American preschool teacher when he dropped trou and relieved himself at the edge of the playground at the beginning of his first day was absolutely priceless.
2004-02-06 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
I was in the half ironman when the situation came up. It was raining anyway, so what is a little more fluid. It was my first time, but I had thought about what if in a marathon before. I know some really good runners and they said, that some women pee during almost every race. Even just a 5k. What are you willing to sacrifice for a PR?
2004-02-06 4:28 PM
in reply to: #6232

User image

Resident Matriarch
. What are you willing to sacrifice for a PR?

not my dignity!

2004-02-06 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
lol, I also love potty talk! I think there was an article in a tri mag or cycling mag about this issue.... they explained [FOR THE MEN] how to do it exactly. the reasoning being that who wants to lose the pack or the pace, right?

yeas, and for the women- it was a more or less good luck, pee on yourself the majority of it is water anyways- type of advice. gee thanks.... last time my socks got wet from the puddles i ended up with 10 blistered toes.

2004-02-07 8:40 PM

User image

Central Louisiana

I think that you just have to do what ever you gotta do!  I don't have to worry about it at any of the races that I am doing, because they are just to short!

2004-02-07 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
An old roommate once told me about a bike race where he decided to relieve himself while still on the bike, and said it worked out pretty good...until the pressure went down.
2004-02-08 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Ok, Jack,
I was told by my coach to watch for the "relieved" faces of folks standing about waist deep in the open water...now you know what they are doing! In the olympic I did last year, there were lots of porta potties and I just added a little time to my transistions by stopping in, consistently. It's better for me to over-hydrate than to under-hydrate. Just plan on putting a little "Depends" in your transistion bag to wear for the bike or run ;-) ?!!
Vanessa
2004-02-08 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho

Oh boy, now this is scaring me!!! I was just worried about the race, now I will be worried about where I got to peepee!! Lol thanks for all the replies. I am well informed now and I am not to sure I really wanted to know!! Lol!  Jack.

2004-02-08 9:44 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho
Jack

Thanks, no I really mean thanks!

2004-02-09 6:34 AM

san antonio
I love this....!!! As a mom of 3 and having done many marathons, I feel qualified to add to the discussion. My experience with Marathoning is you find a bush, tree, building and GO! Of course guys have it easier, but marathoning is no place for modesty. Frankly, the only people I ever noticed is the one guy that doesnt even get very far from the course. I am too busy talking myself through 26 miles.

Having said all of that. This is an issue that I have been lending some thought too. Seems that 3 kids and several marathons have taken their toll on my bladder. Talk about EWWWWW. Not so bad on the street, but not great on the treadmill at the gym. I am still getting used to my clips ( or rather un-clipping)....I suppose I could do the fall down thing and pee at the same time!

Dawn
2004-02-09 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boise Idaho
LOL!! that is tooooo funny! I should master that technique myself!
2004-02-09 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Lubbock, TX
This is the funniest thread I've read so far. I laughed so hard, I read it aloud to my wife yesterday evening. This, of course, was something that NEVER occured to me until it was brought up. I especially like the "Zen-ness" of achieving equilibrium. Truly funny.
2004-02-10 5:10 PM
in reply to: #6584

User image

Regular
Seattle
In my Iron-distance tri last year (Great Floridian), there were porta-potties at every aid station - every 10 miles on the bike, every mile on the run.
In a half-iron relay I did (Black Diamond), there were a few potties in the transition area, 2 on the bike course, and 3 on the run.

For all the talk of peeing while on the bike, there has been talk in some races of cracking down on that (ie, DQ), so be careful. At the very least, public nudity is always grounds for a penalty. Now, seeing as you never see the pros stop to go, take this with a grain of salt.

As for the comment about balancing fluid intake with expenditure, that don't work. Most good coaches will say that if you don't have to pee by mile 50, then drink more. I didn't go until mile 20 or so of my run, and it was not because I was properly balanced! If you're out there for 14 hours, you're gonna have to go. Think of it as a nice chance to stretch your legs and take a break.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Potty hypothesis................. Rss Feed  

of 2