Charm City Run
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m 25s
Overall Rank = 459/1902
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:45, took a shower, ate half of a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Made sure I had enough clothes with me for pre / post race since it was COLD. Took the dog out for his morning walk out the door by 6:45. Steve drove and I navigated. No problems getting there but we took the looonnggg way to get to 83. We had plently of time to get there though and got to the race site around 7:30.
Event warmup:

Walked from the car to the race start which was about a mile away. Grabbed by number and my chip, had some hot apple cider, and tried to stay moving since I was freezing my butt off. Jogged around a little at 8:15 and stretch my hamstrings and calves a bit. I hindsight, I should have run around a lot more before the race started because I couldn't feel my toes for the first mile.
Run
  • 40m 25s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first "other than a 5K" race and probably the coldest temperature I've run in. I thought I ran well but I left too much in the tank because I felt just fine at the end and that was frustrating. After my body settled down from running up the first hill, everything felt great -- my breathing, heart rate, legs, feet. Nice park, nice scenery, and exciting to run with that many people!
What would you do differently?:

Push myself harder... it's a race and I need to run like it's one!! Unfortunately I missed the 3rd and 4th mile markers so I wasn't sure where I was on the course. I was looking at my watch to kind of figure it out and pre-race I had throught I'd be in the 40 - 45 minute range. I finished in 39:30 by my watch and I didn't realize I was so close to the finish because my timing wound up being better than I expected. It would have helped A LOT if I saw the mile markers. Rookie mistake and hopefully I'll get better at the "racing" aspect instead of just running along having a good time... I probably missed the mile markers because I was checking out the park scenery!! grrrr
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, took my timing chip off, stretched my legs out a bit, and went to find Steve.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Kept too much in the tank.

Event comments:

Big race, it was well organized and there were a lot of volunteers.

Last updated: 2007-11-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:25 | 05 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 459/1902
Performance: Average
Course: Started a little up hill and my cold, unwarmed up body thought it was going to be in for a long race. Made it up the first hill and my breathing and heart rate settled down. I enjoyed this course, it wasn't too hilly and I thought the park was nice. We did have to cut through the grass at one point because there was a slick spot on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-12-16 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: Celtic Solstice 5 Miler

2007-12-16 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1104510

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Celtic Solstice 5 Miler

Congrats on the sub-40!  That's fantastic!

The mile markers are low signs, so they are easy to miss.  And besides .... the Mile 2 was in the wrong place (based on where it has been in the last two years - it was about 100 short of where it should have been - and based on the fact that it had me running a 5:36 or so, which ain't happening at that part of the course!).

There were so many people that I didn't even try to look for anyone.  It would have been nice to meet some more BTers!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Celtic Solstice 5 Miler Rss Feed