2007-12-17 10:51 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-12-17 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1105999

Master
portland, or
Subject: RE: Rollers versus Trainer...
Rollers are more interactive. You need to maintain balance, so you can't just zone out in front of a TV.

Some rollers, such as Kreitler's, have resistance units available (the "killer headwind" unit in the case of Kreitler's) that will give resistance similar to a trainer. Without a resistance unit, they are limited by your bike's gearing and the diameter of the rollers.

Some people adapt to rollers quickly, but most need some time. You'll probably want to start by setting them up in a doorway so you have something to grab if you start to go down.

There is a new model of rollers that have "bumpers" on them, making it easier to stay up. They're pricey in comparison to standard rollers. Here's their website: inside ride

scott
2007-12-17 11:17 AM

Master
St. Louis
I have both, and I honestly almost never use the rollers. They were not difficult to learn, and I find them somewhat fun for a few minutes at a time... but... they are of limited triathlon training value. Mine have no resistance unit, and I basically find it way to easy. I much prefer my trainer. I dont feel like I get a workout on my rollers.
2007-12-17 11:27 AM

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

I use them for different purposes.

Rollers require more attention -- I'm not able to watch TV at the same time because I lose focus.  I think that rollers help me work on riding a truer line and it forces me to even out my pedal stroke a little bit.  Yes, resistance isn't so much, but that's not usually my goal when I'm on the rollers.

On the trainer, I can do more with one-leg drills, harder intervals (and intervals up out of the seat), and longer rides (because I can watch TV).

I enjoy having both options -- a little variety to my indoor workout.

2007-12-17 11:29 AM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Heh.  Rollers are FUN.

Admittedly, my trainer is more useful.  The rollers are not very conducive to hard interval workouts.  But I used to use them on a once in awhile 30' "just ride" kind of thing.  In fact, I will probably start doing that again sometime!  They do make you sweat pretty good and you will hold a line better than anyone you know once you get the hang of them because your handling has to be pretty precise or you fall off.

Above posters are correct that you CANNOT just zone out.  In fact, I can move so little that my hands/butt go MORE numb on the rollers than they do on the trainer.  I haven't quite gotten the hang of being able to completely shift around and not fall off.  But I can ride in aero.

So, while I'm good at them I still set myself up in a doorway.   Or at least next to something I can hang onto for the once in awhile that I need it.

2007-12-17 7:57 PM

Master
Connecticut

They are very different.

If you have any problems in the smoothness of your stroke, balance, or straightness, some time on rollers can definitely help work on those issues.

Even if you don't, they can provide a good "stroke drill" of sorts when you are just doing some base mile workouts.

For long workouts (for example 2 hours and up), it may be just too difficult to maintain attention on the rollers.

For hard workouts, you can get rollers with resistance, but it's a lot harder to push to the red line on a roller without falling, if regular hard anaerobic bursts are part of your workout

Edited by dredwards 2007-12-17 7:58 PM

2007-12-18 6:06 AM
in reply to: #1106023

Champion
New York, NY

yaqui - 2007-12-17 11:06 AM Rollers are more interactive. You need to maintain balance, so you can't just zone out in front of a TV. Some rollers, such as Kreitler's, have resistance units available (the "killer headwind" unit in the case of Kreitler's) that will give resistance similar to a trainer. Without a resistance unit, they are limited by your bike's gearing and the diameter of the rollers. Some people adapt to rollers quickly, but most need some time. You'll probably want to start by setting them up in a doorway so you have something to grab if you start to go down. There is a new model of rollers that have "bumpers" on them, making it easier to stay up. They're pricey in comparison to standard rollers. Here's their website: inside ride scott

has anyone tried the inside ride rollers? they look pretty cool - though pricey 

2007-12-18 7:33 AM

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

I have both, and much prefer the rollers.  I can finally watch t.v., I can do one legged drills.  I hate my trainer and have been thinking about selling it because I only used it when I was recovery from rotator cuff surgery and needed to ride without my hands on the handle bars, although I'm working on doing that on the rollers.

The trainer made my knee hurt and it hurt my girlie parts because there is no give on the trainer.  The rollers have much more of a road feel. 

My journey was long, I didn't have sense of much balance. But riding the rollers improved my pedal stroke, my balance and I can hold a straight line forever.

But I will say, I still can't get my water bottle while riding them. 

2007-12-18 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1107417

Veteran
I have the Inside Ride rollers. Yes they are a bit pricey, but the construction is well done. They have a magnetic resistance unit on them, therefore my trainer has seen very little use lately. I have worked up to being able to do out of the saddle sprints on my road bike on them. The Tri bike I am still working up to that level. I love them and would recommend them to anyone.
2007-12-18 9:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
I've tried both and I much prefer the rollers, a lot less boring and it will also help your balance and build your core muscles. My only complaint with the rollers is that my "no no spots" goes numb a little faster just because I'm not getting out of the saddle as much. And for the people that say rollers arent as good of workout you may be right but for me I'm just planning on putting the miles in and really building a good base then once spring hits I'll be out on the road.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rollers versus Trainer... Rss Feed