General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions wanted...bike related Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-03-05 12:13 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Subject: Opinions wanted...bike related
Looking for opinions to help guide a bike related purchase.  I currently have an entry level Scott road bike with Tiagara components and clip on aerobars.  Like the bike and nothing materially wrong with bike except components are slow....very. 

Brief background:  I have been racing for 2 seasons (sprints and an olympic), will be doing half iron, olympic and sprints this year.  Commitment to sport is not an issue.  I am proudly addicted and here to stay.  

I have an opportunity to upgrade.  Should I bite the bullet and purchase P2 or Felt B12, or spend far less and upgrade the components (Ultegra) on my current ride with and potentially get a wheelset?

Thanks for opinions.

2010-03-05 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2710117

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Subject: RE: Opinions wanted...bike related
If you can afford it, I'd say go with the P2 or B12.  Keep the Scott for those less than perfect weather days, commuting, and group rides.  If you can only afford to have one, then perhaps think of selling the Scott (road bikes retain their value pretty well) and put that money towards the new bike.
2010-03-05 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
When you say the components are slow, what do you mean?  Are they getting worn?  Are they shifting slow?  Might be time for a tune-up.

I think bang for your buck you're going to get more from purchasing a complete new bike vs. upgrading separate components.  People say all the time that building up a bike will cost you more than buying new unless you buy everything second hand. 

It's all about what you want to do and what you can afford.  Will you go into debt buying the bike?  If not, then heck yeah go for it.  Ride a whole bunch of bikes and see which one feels best, I wouldn't limit yourself to just the P2 or the B12.  I did the same thing last year, I had my mind set on one of those two and walked out the door with a Kuota K-Factor because it just felt the best.  Just remember, switching to a tri bike isn't going to automatically get you X.X mph faster, when I first bought my tri bike I was actually SLOWER than my roadie, go figure.  After getting the proper fit and lots of T.I.T.S. I'm now more comfortable and can ride faster/farther.

Edited by strostertag 2010-03-05 12:22 PM
2010-03-05 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I have a Felt B12 and it's a terrific bike.  I'm slow and don't do the bike justice but I don't care.  When I saw the B12 it was love at first sight!  I saw a picture of the B12 on-line and noticed there was not read brake calipers?!  I acutally posed here asking about why the bike did not have a rear break and was told it was down by the crank.  That was it!  I was sold.  It was the unigueness I needed. 

A new bike always got me out of the road more which is good.  If you have a really nice and expensive bike, you almost feel obligated to ride it.  :-)

Good luck with whatever you decide.

~Mike

2010-03-05 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2710196

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'd get a new bike and keep the roadie for other stuff, as suggested.

If the slowness is more that the bike doesn't roll as fast as you'd like, and you decide against the new bike, then focus on new wheels.  The only thing an upgrade to a derraileuer will get you is a smoother shift.

If your shifting is bad, etc., you might still want the new bike.  But take the roadie into your LBS for a tuneup.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-03-05 12:40 PM
2010-03-05 12:40 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Thanks for opinions.  Will be keep the Scott for reasons stated above.  Definately paying cash...IMO new bike is not worth additional debt.   

Scott has a 2 annual tuneups and is regularly cleaned.  When I say slow, I just mean that there is a delay from when I shift to when the chain moves.  It also feels "clunky" and is not smooth (probably needs another tuneup).  I am by no means a bike expert but I thought that better components are more responsive/faster to change....and lighter. 

Definately have my mind on the 2 bikes listed, but if I go the route of a new bike, will definately buy what feels the best, regardless if it is 1 of the 2 listed.  That is how I ended up with my Scott.  Had my mind set on Trek but after riding several bikes, it felt the best. 

2010-03-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2710205

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good plan.  I think personally that Tiagra should shift fine.  You might need more than a tune-up, but it should be reasonably adjustable.  I have Tiagra on my entry-level road (Trek) and it shifts fine and can be tuned up.

2010-03-05 2:19 PM

User image

If your main complaint is that your components are "slow", I think you just need a tune up.

But that's just me...because I drool over the B12 and am jealous of anyone who has the opportunity to get one...Smile

2010-03-05 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
i'd also look to get a new bike and keep the current bike as a back up/bad weather day bike.. or even roadie  group rides

maybe even sell the aero bars to offset the price of some newer &/or better wheels and different upgrades

I have an older specialized with sora/tiagara components and will most likely over this summer start looking on ebay for upgrades for my next winter project, since it does need a little more care to keep shifting correctly.  But its nice having a different bike around
2010-03-05 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2710205

Lafayette, LA.
Donzy - 2010-03-05 12:40 PM Thanks for opinions.  Will be keep the Scott for reasons stated above.  Definately paying cash...IMO new bike is not worth additional debt.   

Scott has a 2 annual tuneups and is regularly cleaned.  When I say slow, I just mean that there is a delay from when I shift to when the chain moves.  It also feels "clunky" and is not smooth (probably needs another tuneup).  I am by no means a bike expert but I thought that better components are more responsive/faster to change....and lighter. 

Definately have my mind on the 2 bikes listed, but if I go the route of a new bike, will definately buy what feels the best, regardless if it is 1 of the 2 listed.  That is how I ended up with my Scott.  Had my mind set on Trek but after riding several bikes, it felt the best. 

Seriously?  Man if you want a tri specific bike then get it, but if your only reason is because your shifting is "clunky" then I would sit back and take a breath.  Having a road bike in addition to a tri bike is a wonderful plan; mix it up a bit, do some group rides on your roadie but please learn basic bike maintenance skills.  Go to youtube and watch videos on barrel adjusters, I'm pretty sure that will take care of your "clunkiness".
2010-03-05 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Tune-up mans many differnt things to many people and LBS mechanics. Sometimes it's a rag wipr and adjust, sometimes it's an overhaul. To get the Scott working better, I'd replace the cables and housing, remove, clean and re-grease the components and re-assemble the bike. This is more commonly an overhaul and not a tune-up.

But, I fully agree if you're ready for a new bike, then by all means: Stimulate the economy and make us proud! We want pictures!!!!

2010-03-05 10:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Sutherlin
Well, having only seen both the bikes you mentioned,  I gotta tell ya, there both SOOOOO nice..... The P2 looked way better in person IMO, but the Felt was super nice too. 

As far as the road bike and it's issues, pay $50 for a tune up, it should be fine.  I have a Tiaga equiped Trek with 105 rear, and my buddy has a Ultegra equiped Specalized, and sure, it's got a "lighter throw" in teh shofters and is smooth, but I really have to say I think my Tiagra stuff works really really darn well.  Again, takes a little more effort to shift it, but it's not clunky at all... so that makes me think tune up.... and a new ride!!!!!!!!!! 

If I had the choice, and I eventually will, I will get a tri bike too and then set the Trek up as a road only bike, take off the areo bars and use it for group rides, and then maybe set up my specallised with the bars for training it ban weather. 

If you get that new bike.. POST PIC's!!!!!!!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Opinions wanted...bike related Rss Feed