Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-11 1:37 PM
in reply to: #2783422

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: TransIowa V6 - The Withdrawal
Not trying to be mean, It's your decision to do or not do for whatever reason you choose, but I'm really looking for the answer, or at least some discussion:

How does one distinguish the voice of God from other inner voices like cowardice and self-doubt?

Edited by the bear 2010-04-11 1:41 PM
2010-04-11 1:52 PM

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Bill....you are blessed to be a man of such faith.

Steve

2010-04-11 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2783467

the bear - 2010-04-11 9:37 AM Not trying to be mean, It's your decision to do or not do for whatever reason you choose, but I'm really looking for the answer, or at least some discussion:

How does one distinguish the voice of God from other inner voices like cowardice and self-doubt?

I think it's a good question...but what it really comes down to is how we choose to live our lives.

In this case, Bill has trust in his faith, and what he feels is a message from God.  Obviously he is a very religious man, and I think for him, doing God's work is what will make him happy in the long run.

For other people who may not have as much faith or religion (which is fine)...they may choose to ignore any signs of self doubt or signs that they should not be doing something.  For those people...pushing through those obstacles (even if it turns out to be an unwise decision) is how they want to put a stamp on their life.

And then there are those who do not have faith...yet still give in to self doubt and quit.  While it's something I wouldn't do...hey...if pushing through pain and obstacles does not make you happy...then you shouldn't do it. 

From my experience with Bill, he is a very well grounded man of faith.  I doubt he's simply halucinating or givnig into any fears.  In the end, I think Bill will find peace with the decision he makes one way or another and be a better man for it.
2010-04-11 3:25 PM

Champion
Calgary
Bill,

Gotta say, I am a little disappointed I won't be reading a race report on this one. You put a lot of time training into this one and I was looking forward to hearing how it panned out. But, you gotta do what you gotta do right and you sure aren't doing it for me lol. And, I don't think the TransIowa is a race that one should be heading into with any major doubts.

The Journey is the Destination isn't it.

2010-04-11 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2783561

2010-04-11 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2783467

2010-04-11 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2783599

2010-04-11 7:08 PM

I don't know, maybe I am out of line here but I can't read your post and not think about all the real suffering in this world. How many children are suffering in Haiti, and 1000's of other places around this world. I sure do hope God has his eye on the more important things going on, and surely could care less about your performance in some bicycle race. I don't know you at all, but this kind of talk sounds so supremely arrogant to me. I am sure you are a great man and I am simply reading this wrong. Or perhaps your church is to blame. Either way...

You are withdrawing from this race, not because God commands it, but for some other reason. By allowing yourself to think God is making this decision you are missing out on some lesson in your personal life. If you do not want to do this ride, don't. And there is no reason to feel bad about it or make excuses for it, and remove the responsibility of this decision off of yourself and put it on God, who as I mentioned has more pressing matters to attend to.

Make sure the people who sacrificed so you could train for this are ok with your withdrawing, and apologize to the RD for more work and to whoever may not get a chance to ride because of your spot, whatever. In the end it is just a ride, not life or death we are talking about.

Peace.
2010-04-11 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2783948

drewzaun - 2010-04-11 3:08 PM I don't know, maybe I am out of line here but I can't read your post and not think about all the real suffering in this world. How many children are suffering in Haiti, and 1000's of other places around this world. I sure do hope God has his eye on the more important things going on, and surely could care less about your performance in some bicycle race. I don't know you at all, but this kind of talk sounds so supremely arrogant to me. I am sure you are a great man and I am simply reading this wrong. Or perhaps your church is to blame. Either way...

You are withdrawing from this race, not because God commands it, but for some other reason. By allowing yourself to think God is making this decision you are missing out on some lesson in your personal life. If you do not want to do this ride, don't. And there is no reason to feel bad about it or make excuses for it, and remove the responsibility of this decision off of yourself and put it on God, who as I mentioned has more pressing matters to attend to.

Make sure the people who sacrificed so you could train for this are ok with your withdrawing, and apologize to the RD for more work and to whoever may not get a chance to ride because of your spot, whatever. In the end it is just a ride, not life or death we are talking about.

Peace.

Without turning this ugly, or getting into a religious debate...I will simply say that for many people who believe in God, they believe that God has a message and will for each and every person.  You don't need to be the President of the United States, nor do you need to be devestated by a huge earthquake to get God's attention.  The belief is that we are all equally important, and every decision we make should be to glorify God...not to appease our personal goals or ambitions.

If you don't believe the same things as Bill, that's fine.  It's Bill's choice to choose how he wants to live his life, and none of us are in a position to say if he's a coward or if he owes anyone an appology.  To sacrifice a full years worth of training for something you believe in takes a lot of courage IMHO. 

Have a wonderful day.
2010-04-11 7:38 PM

Champion
MA
Bill,

I am glad you are at peace with your decision and trusting it is God's will.

I once had similar feeling not as clear as yours and I didn't listen and guess what I crashed badly in the race and hit metal street sign pole going 23-24 mph head first, I thought I should skip but others encouraged me to do it.

Keep riding as you love it!

2010-04-11 7:52 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
drewzaun - 2010-04-11 8:08 PM I don't know, maybe I am out of line here but I can't read your post and not think about all the real suffering in this world. How many children are suffering in Haiti, and 1000's of other places around this world. I sure do hope God has his eye on the more important things going on, and surely could care less about your performance in some bicycle race. I don't know you at all, but this kind of talk sounds so supremely arrogant to me. I am sure you are a great man and I am simply reading this wrong. Or perhaps your church is to blame. Either way...

Peace.

If you KNEW Bill you would know that he is as far from arrogant as you can get.  
2010-04-11 7:54 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Bill, if you are at peace with the decision then that is all that matters.
Trust in your great faith........
I wish you nothing but peace and contentment.

2010-04-11 7:57 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I admire your ability to listen and obey.

I hope you find the next thing you are supposed to do with peace in doing it.

2010-04-11 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2783979

Champion
Calgary
tri808 - 2010-04-11 6:27 PM

drewzaun - 2010-04-11 3:08 PM I don't know, maybe I am out of line here but I can't read your post and not think about all the real suffering in this world. How many children are suffering in Haiti, and 1000's of other places around this world. I sure do hope God has his eye on the more important things going on, and surely could care less about your performance in some bicycle race. I don't know you at all, but this kind of talk sounds so supremely arrogant to me. I am sure you are a great man and I am simply reading this wrong. Or perhaps your church is to blame. Either way...

Peace.

Without turning this ugly, or getting into a religious debate...I will simply say that for many people who believe in God, they believe that God has a message and will for each and every person.  You don't need to be the President of the United States, nor do you need to be devestated by a huge earthquake to get God's attention.  The belief is that we are all equally important, and every decision we make should be to glorify God...not to appease our personal goals or ambitions.

If you don't believe the same things as Bill, that's fine.  It's Bill's choice to choose how he wants to live his life, and none of us are in a position to say if he's a coward or if he owes anyone an appology.  To sacrifice a full years worth of training for something you believe in takes a lot of courage IMHO. 

Have a wonderful day.

x2, and to Helen too. But I would add, that although I think Bill may have sacrificed his long standing goal (and that had to be a hard choice and is likely what you mean) there really is no sacrifice in the training.
2010-04-12 7:28 AM

2010-04-12 10:11 AM

Regular
Bill:

I don't know you at all but for the words you have written in your posts.  In reading them, I trust that your faith in the Lord is very strong.  I also believe that you are one who would be humble in your accomplishments and give credit to the Lord.

That said, let me challenge you with this:  after hearing one voice on one ride whisper in your ear you are willing to give up a year's worth of work and sacrifice by both you and your family.  You are willing to give up achieving a goal that you would humbly credit the Lord with when accomplished.  I am guessing that many people close to you have heard you speak of the Lord's support and guidance during your year of training.  Will quiting your quest diminish the effectiveness of your testimony?  Could the voice that you heard be the discouraging voice of Satan trying to sabatage your good?

I certainly have no answer to this but I believe that true passion for something is a gift that when performed and credited in His name can't be wrong.  What say you?
2010-04-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2785051

Edited by wgraves7582 2010-04-12 10:23 AM
2010-04-12 10:32 AM

Regular
Fair enough Bill.  Only you can know the answer to this - you seem very much at peace with your decision so it must be right.  God bless and take care.  I am confident that you will do good with your cycling in the future.

Justin
2010-04-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2785125

2010-04-12 11:50 AM

2010-04-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2785449

2010-04-12 7:28 PM

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Bill, to be so at peace with your decision says it all! I look forward to seeing what is to come!!

For those of you who question???????????????????????????????? ?Bill's reason??, I believe that God has a plan for us all and he speaks to each of us in one way or another if we choose to listen. Whether you hear it as coming from God or as something else is on YOU and YOU alone. 

2010-04-12 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2785732

2010-04-13 10:06 AM

Expert
West Grove, PA
Bill,
You are a good man, and you are doing what is right... for you, for your family, for your faith.  No regrets.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TransIowa V6 - The Withdrawal Rss Feed  

of 2