General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the reason/advantage to compete in Athena? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-08-09 9:35 PM

New user

Subject: What is the reason/advantage to compete in Athena?
Hello - I am a newer triathlete and have only competed in one tri so far.  I am confused about the "Athena" division.  I am over 150 lbs but have more muscle than the average woman.  I finished well in my first tri and and can compete with those weighing less than 150.  I am confused as to why there is a different category for women over 150.  Am I at an advantage or disadvantage if I just compete in the "regular" division?  I don't want to "cheat" and compete in the regular division if it is giving me an unfair advantage...  Do I have to sign up for the Athena division since I am over 150?  Any insight would be appreciated!

2010-08-09 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3033465

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: What is the reason/advantage to compete in Athena?
You can sign up for whichever division you like. Personally, I don't race athena when I am eligible.
2010-08-09 9:57 PM
in reply to: #3033470

New user

Thanks for your input!
2010-08-09 10:45 PM

User image

Regular
You choose what category you'll race in. . .either Athena or your age group.  Pick the one that you feel most comfortable racing in.  It also depends on your goals.. . .  I have done 2 tris so far, and raced Athena in both.  I am currently about 170 pounds, but started out at 190.  So I have come a long ways, but still have a ways to go.  I chose Athena because I wanted to race against more people similar to me.  However, there are some women who race Athena, and I'm sure meet the weight qualifications, but are extremely tough and very competitive.  So don't be fooled by the label. 
2010-08-10 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Since being of a higher weight is *generally* a disadvantage, Athena is designed to level the playing field.  It would not be unfair for you to compete as a regular AGer but the reverse, however, may be true.  But you can choose to race however you wish.
2010-08-10 4:46 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

My understanding is the weight based division were created years ago for people who were bodybuilder types and not generally over weight.  The ideas was to level the playing field for them.  Today everone assumes the division are for "overwight" people and will actually get angry when someone like myself (6'7" 205lbs) races in one saying it is unfair.

Actually you have no advantage racing in the division IMO.  I have race both by weight and age and have never been "guaranteed" to place in either.  Today there are alot of fast people who race in the weight based divisions so really sign up for the one you think you have the better chance in placing in.

2010-08-10 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
If your goal is to ever do half or full distance AND try to qualify for Clearwater or Kona, keep in mind that championship slots are not available for Clydesdale/Athena athletes. Aside from that, I don't see any disadvantage for you to race in the division.
2010-08-10 6:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-10 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3033759

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
abeck - 2010-08-10 7:47 AM

I think what coach meant to say is that if you are registered Athena and racing in a race offering slots to clearwater or Kona you won't be eligible regardless of your placing in the Athena category.  However, if you register as an AG'er in the same race at the same weight, you could land a slot. 

That is exactally what I meant to say, sorry if I was not clear. Kona/Clearwater slots are given to pro/age based categories only. I personally saw that issue unfold for 2 people at Steelhead this year, who were pretty upset that they didn't get to go to Clearwater, even placing well in their respective category.
2010-08-10 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3033677

Elite
Evergreen, CO
kproudfoot - 2010-08-10 3:46 AM

My understanding is the weight based division were created years ago for people who were bodybuilder types and not generally over weight.  The ideas was to level the playing field for them.  Today everone assumes the division are for "overwight" people and will actually get angry when someone like myself (6'7" 205lbs) races in one saying it is unfair.

I thought it was originally created for tall people like you who may have a tough time competing against the shorter runner types.

eta: as others have said, you should race in whichever division you prefer.

Edited by skarl 2010-08-10 7:21 AM
2010-08-10 7:42 AM

2010-08-10 8:17 AM

2010-08-10 9:54 AM

Expert
Portland, OR
I'm in this same position!  I would have placed 4th in Athena in the tri I did last weekend, but was 18th in my AG instead.  It's frustrating though because I don't want to put myself into that category because I've always been an athlete and have been over 150 since I was 13 (not fat, Italian Laughing), so I don't feel like I'm at a weight "disadvantage". 

I'll always be over 150, no doubt, but I think I'd be more satisfied with an AG top-10 than an Athena top-3.  But it's tempting to do so that I can possibly take hom some hardware...
2010-08-10 10:06 AM

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I've finally managed to drop enough weight that I don't qualify as an Athena anymore, but when I did.... I often chose which division to race in based on wave start time for Athena vs my AG division. I prefer to start earlier if possible - so whichever division gave me an earlier start, that was the one I raced in!

As others have noted, you are not required to race Athena or AG. Your choice entirely.... Possible advantages of racing as an Athena include:

1) You MIGHT have a higher chance at winning a podium spot, if that's important to you -- there are some pretty fast Athenas out there, so there's no guarantee that will be the case, but in some races it might be.

2) You're competing against women who are more similar in body type to you. Carrying more weight, regardless of whether it is in the form of muscle, bone, or extra body fat, is a disadvantage in triathlon.... There's no way a 150 lb woman, no matter how fit she is, will ever be as fast as a fast 110 lb woman....

3) As stated above, somtimes you may get a better start time as an Athena !
2010-08-10 10:09 AM

Melon Presser
WHAT?!?!

Athena is over 150???

I thought it was over 140, is it for some races? I guess dem's de USAT rules ... wow. I can't believe I might not be an Athena anymore.

Okay, so ... just in my experience, on the whole, the very top people in the Athena category would also have done well in their AG (maybe not the VERY top, though). However, on the whole (again, plenty of exceptions!) I place better in the Athena category than in AG, and in my first few races where I was Athena-eligible, it was a big confidence-booster, and it was nice to be placed among athletes of similar weight.

Now, it depends. Or let's say in my later races it depended ... if the race had an Athena category, I'd usually pick it, but not if I'd be the only Athena or place just because that's how many Athenas there were. Again, that's just me.

I may be mistaken on this, but in addition to what was said re WTC championships ... for example, US Halfmax (HIM) Championship has a time qualifier for Athena athletes (so it doesn't matter where you place). HOWEVER, you must have signed up AS an Athena for your qualifying race IF it had that category.
2010-08-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3033948

Champion
Philly 'burbs
abeck - 2010-08-10 9:17 AM

Read USAT rules 3.1 and 3.2 

3.1 Preparation and Training. No person shall participate in a triathlon or other multi-sport events unless such person:
a. is trained adequately for that specific event, as might be expected of a prudent person entering a similar competition, and
b. is in excellent health, based on recent training, physical examinations, if any, and generally accepted standards of good health.

Wow, who knew so many people were breaking the rules

2010-08-10 11:14 AM

I know you are talking about athena but I've seen this posted a few times in regards to the clydesdale catagory and I thought it was fitting so I copied it.

First, you need to understand what the category of Athena/Clydesdale was intended for and not what it has become (or the perception (yours, as the OP) of what the category is)

This is a Clydesdale: 
Clyde horse
Big, strong and muscular, but kind of slow..

and racing against this:
running horse

The Clydesdale will have a hard time beating a smaller, faster, leaner horse (most of the time), which is why the category was created.  To give big people (like football players and body builders) a chance to compete against people of similar stature and not just against the smaller, leaner marathon runners that are in the same age group and 50 pounds lighter.

This is not a Clydesdale:
not clyde
but according to your question, (How do you feel about people entering a division they may not need to be in), is what you think should only be racing the category.   Because I bet the Clydsale horse above would beat this horse in a race.

Second, and most importantly, Its a race - not a self esteem event where you get a reward for just showing up.  You never should be upset if someone who qualifies for your category, is faster than you, wins.  It would be like a 44 y/o complaining that the person who won the AG is really 39 but b/c their birthday is 12/30, that puts them in the 40-44 AG.

Personally, my opinion is you should be proud of the clyde that came in 2nd overall, congratulate him and use that as a motivator that you can do it too.  A competitive Clyde category is not a bad thing.

Be happy with the accomplishments that you made and be proud of the fact that you completed a triathlon, gave all that you could and left it all on the course.  That should be enough.  Another racers accomplishment shouldnt effect your enjoyment of the race.

Last month, someone else posted this and I think it is fitting...

2010-08-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3034440

Pro
Twin Cities
The RD usually sets the weight. I've seen it anywhere form 130 (yes, 130. You can tell a dude totally decided that. :roll to 160. This has been in USAT-sanctioned races, as well as non-sanctioned.

When you think about it, it doesn't matter if it matches, really, b/c Athena classification isn't used to calculate USAT ranking.
2010-08-10 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3034427

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
jsnowash - 2010-08-10 10:06 AM
There's no way a 150 lb woman, no matter how fit she is, will ever be as fast as a fast 110 lb woman....

Gotta disagree with this, based on seeing this photo finish with my own eyes.
The girl on the right (what, 110 pounds?) was beat by 1/10 of a second by the girl on the left (what, 150 lbs?).
Just sayin.

2010-08-10 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3034427

Pro
Twin Cities
There's no way a 150 lb woman, no matter how fit she is, will ever be as fast as a fast 110 lb woman...

Totally untrue.
2010-08-10 12:54 PM

New user
^^^^^^^
Agree-many people who are above the cut offs who can catch the skinny people.  Statistically, skinny people should beat us big people, but we race in reality.

If you are over 150lbs, it is your choice as to which group you want to race.  You can look at the numbers and see where you would fall in either group after the race.  If a podium spot is important to you, then you have to look at which group for that race has been easier or harder, and which top 3 will give you more meaning.  I guess the question comes down to you, why you race, and wich group gives you more satisfaction.

2010-08-10 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3034986

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

It's pretty much been covered and I invite you to check out the Athena/Clydesdale forum.

I just wanted to add that I personally put myself in the Athena category when possible.  I like winning!  I never won anything until I went Athena   Although my weight never really changed (like you, I'm on the cusp).

However, when I look at results I usually look at how I compare to my regular AG and the overall when I judge myself and see where I need to make improvements.  The medal is something that makes the day fun, the overall result is what sticks with me.

I also go to the award ceremony and clap like heck for the other Athenas, even if I am only one of 3.

2010-08-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3034986

Sensei
Sin City
To be completely honest (of course, MY opinion, and I AM a clyde).

In GENERAL, the advantage of racing Clyde/Athena is that those people, being heavier (fat or tall or muscular) are going to be slower with everything else being equal.  It just comes from having to carry extra weight over the course...

Is that true in a case by case situation?  Of course not.  Bigger people beat smaller people all the time...

I'm speaking in generalities.

In my history, 90% of the time, I would do better (in the standings) racing against other heavier people than if I ran AG.  Just the facts...  Given 20 AGers and 20 clydes, I could probably place top 5 in clyde and be MOP in my AG.

But, I have seen a clyde win overall and other instances this doesn't prove true.

I like to race clyde if available to test myself against others that are similar (have to carry more weight) but also keep tabs on the AG I would have been in.

I think I might change it up as I get better.  For example, I have a 10k this weekend that I have won before as a clyde, but I may switch to AG this year to see how I do.
2010-08-10 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3034640

Chicago

@Sager - LOVE THIS RESPONSE!!

2010-08-10 1:22 PM

San Diego
More divisions that should be set up:

1) My bike is at least 10 years old and not very aero and I have no race wheels division.

2) BMI Index > 30 division

3) I have 2 jobs and 2 kids division

4) I raced last weekend division

5) Cross-fit division

6) I like Rap music division

7) Under 5' tall division

-j

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is the reason/advantage to compete in Athena? Rss Feed  

of 2