General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions on 1st Tri Suit Purchase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2015-01-10 8:43 AM

Subject: Questions on 1st Tri Suit Purchase
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds with advice....

I am a fairly successful Age Group Master Runner (43).... I have always followed those that race triathlons, and 2015 is the year that I decided to undertake my first race. Although I can swim and bike, I am not nearly as comfortable in the first two legs of racing tri's as I am in running. However, training questions will be for another thread.

I am signed up for the St. Anthony's Oly Race this April. I am looking to purchase my first tri kit, but am so unsure of which direction to go. I have narrowed it down to 2xu or Tyr Brand. My question is, is it better to go with a 2 piece kit, or 1 piece. Also one of the suits I am looking at is designed for longer distance racing. Although I won't jump into longer distances right away, maybe one day I will. Is it a huge deal to race in shorter distances in a longer distance kit? Also the Tyr suit says the pad is designed for the aero position. For sprints and oly, I don't envision racing in the aero position. Will I really notice a big difference in the padding, or should I make sure I get a kit that does not specify aero vs non aero.

I know I wrote a lot. As we all know Tri's can be a lot more expensive than running only. I do not have an endless budget, and want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thanks!

Mike

2015-01-10 8:51 AM
in reply to: michael08

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Questions on 1st Tri Suit Purchase

Hi Mike! Welcome to BT and triathlon!

Just curious, what made you narrow down to 2XU and TYR?

2-piece are easier to go to the bathroom in, and you can wear them separately and size them exactly to upper and lower body.

1-piece is faster in the water in a non-wetsuit tri.

Aero/distance/not really doesn't matter.

What matters most is that you're comfortable in whatever you're wearing and you feel it gives you the right amount of padding in the right places. Does where you're buying from have a return policy?

2015-01-10 10:13 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I prefer one-piece, but everyone is different. I have a longish torso and one piece tops don't work for me as they lift up too much.  I've only worn Zoot and several Desoto trisuits, the Desoto's are top notch suits, but both brands have been very durable.  I'm going to say that all trisuits are "aero" pads, they are typically smaller, lighter and positioned differently than bike short pads, remember you also need to run in them.  I've worn them for sprints to HIM, never an issue with potty breaks for me!  If you wear two-piece setup, you should swim in the top too as putting it on in T1 when wet/damp will be a comedy for those watching!

FYI, Desoto now has two version of suits/shorts, one has a smaller 4mm thick pad and the other a 7mm pad. I also have a pair of their Biking bibs with the thin fleece pad, love them for training.  If you're into the sport for a long time, sign up for the Desoto email notices, they periodically have sales and closeouts.

2015-01-10 3:33 PM
in reply to: Donto

Thank you for the info.

Honestly, I narrowed it down to 2xu and tyr because I have used their products for running and compression. I was just sticking with what I know, but I am not locked in to them and will look at the other brands you both mentioned.

If I can find something on closeout, and it works I will go for it.

I may go with the larger pad, because it seems that it would allow me to use it in longer distances. If I am wrong please let me know. Also is there a huge difference in running with a 7mm as opposed to 4mm?

I am leaning towards 1 piece for the reason mentioned. I am worried about it riding up. Living in FL the sun beating down on my skin that maybe exposed while on the bike. I do have a pair of bike shorts I use now.

Thanks again. I have found this site very helpful, and a lot of friendly people. Trying a new sport at age 43 can be a little intimidating.

Thanks!
2015-01-10 4:49 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Rock the onesie; I find them much more comfortable

Cushioning - ride lots, you'll get used to it

Aero - whenever possible. don't know what the chamois would have to do with it

I do all distances in the same suit -  Orca Core Race Suit

2015-01-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #5081953

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Trends are toward one piece these days but you can't go wrong with either. Go try them on and see what you like. I go to the store every time ready to finally buy a one piece but come back with another two piece because it feels right.

2015-01-10 8:29 PM
in reply to: #5082090

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I can't help on the 4mm vs 7mm difference as I only have the older fleece versions which is very thin. I get use to it for up to 60 mile rides. If you like to try the Desoto call them. They'll be very helpful.
2015-01-10 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a 2-piece, because it's what was available, and with my local cycling team, I get a deal on gear, and am supposed to wear it during my endurance activities to promote the store.

1 piece will be slightly more hydrodynamic, especially if you go with the really hydrodynamic materials. There are swimming "speedsuits" that really you can wear for a whole tri if you want, but they won't have pockets. Great for shorter tris, maybe less so on longer ones.

I just tested out my 2-piece in the pool for the first time as I have a pool swim coming up in a sprint tri just to see what the difference would be, and I still seemed to save a couple seconds/100m over wearing no top. Was not expecting that.

If you wear a speedsuit in the swim, 1 or 2 piece won't really matter, but I REALLY like the idea of going to the bathroom easier, and then using the tri-shorts during some running to get used to it without HAVING to use the tri top, or just for using the trainer topless
2015-01-11 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It's really a matter of personal preference. Some people find that two piece gives them a better fit and is easier to handle if one needs a "pit stop". Others (like me) find that the one piece fits better and is more comfortable. i'd lean toward a one-piece if (like me), you're longer-waisted and/or have a relatively small waist for your size (to prevent tops riding up/shorts slipping down!) Also a good choice if you have a competitive swim background as it has a much better "feel" in the water. I personally don't find it any harder to get out of my one piece than my tri shorts. I have to tie the shorts quite tightly and by the time I get the knots undone (in a race or prerace situation where adrenaline or fatigue could be a factor), I could just as easily be out of my front-entry trisuit. The ones with a back zip are a bit more of a pain, but I think most men's suits and some women's have the zip in front.

Finally, consider how sure you are about continuing with tris. A one piece tri suit is really only useful for triathlons, and perhaps warm open water swimming. You could possibly wear it underneath a jersey for biking, but most people probably wouldn't choose it for a regular run or bike workout. So maybe not the best investment if you're not sure you want to continue with triathlon. By contrast, tri shorts could easily be used for biking and running, so are a bit more versatile.
2015-01-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

If you do get a one piece, keep in mind that it only gets looser the more you wear it and you want it to remain skin tight as long as possible. Limit your use of it outside of racing.
2015-01-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: smoom

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by smoom Trends are toward one piece these days but you can't go wrong with either. Go try them on and see what you like. I go to the store every time ready to finally buy a one piece but come back with another two piece because it feels right.

The trend isn't one piece, the trend is one piece with sleeves.

2015-01-11 9:04 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
That's one thing I forgot with the two piece, is that it's easier to get a good fit. some people have longer or shorter torsos etc.

One pair of bike shorts I have I can BARELY squeeze my quads into, but the straps are way loose cause they are long! :p
2015-01-12 6:30 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Disagree about always getting better fit with a two piece. I have never found a good fit with a tri top or shorts, including the ones I'm wearing in my avatar pic --the top was too short and rode up (M too loose at waist but long enough, S too short but tight enough), and I was worried I'd lose my shorts on the swim (waist of S too big, butt of XS too small)! By contrast, since that time I have purchased two one piece suits, and tried on several others, that fit really well. The latter may be a better solution for people who don't seem to fit the standard size models for tri clothes, particularly those who are long-waisted and/or have a small waist relative to bust/chest/hip size.
2015-01-12 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I like the 2XU brand in my limited experience with Sugoi the shorts fit everywhere but would begin to sag in the crotch after swimming or riding for a while. This allowed my parts to shift too low on the bike and cause some circulation problems. This became very evident when mountain biking when the seat starts jumping around. The 2XU's material was thicker and maintained it's shape over longer periods which helped hold everything in it's proper place. I wear 2XU's bottoms and then just whatever tri top I am in the mood for.

Edited by Batlou 2015-01-12 7:28 AM
2015-01-12 7:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Trisuits I have owned in order of preference:

1. Fusion Sports Speedsuit w/short slevees
  2. Pearl Izumi Octane w/short sleeves
  3. Desoto Riviera
  4. Desoto Forza
  5. Desoto Liftfoil (it's a swimskin and a trisuit)
  6. Kiwami Konami
  7. Castelli Free Sanremo w/short sleeves (there was no size that fit me right and the weird mesh back actually allowed sun through which resulted in an unexpected sunburn)

2015-01-12 8:36 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by smoom Trends are toward one piece these days but you can't go wrong with either. Go try them on and see what you like. I go to the store every time ready to finally buy a one piece but come back with another two piece because it feels right.

That must fit you perfectly or you risk being slower because of the wrinkles. 

2015-01-12 10:29 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by GoFaster

Even then it still depends.  Skin sucks aerodynamically but wrinkles probably suck more but only wind tunnel testing can say definitively.  That stated, the protection from the sun is why I like the SS suits.  Great if they're aerodynamically superior but they're definitely sun protection superior.

2015-01-12 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Even then it still depends.  Skin sucks aerodynamically but wrinkles probably suck more but only wind tunnel testing can say definitively.  That stated, the protection from the sun is why I like the SS suits.  Great if they're aerodynamically superior but they're definitely sun protection superior.

I've never worn one, but do you have to keep the top off during the swim and put it back on in T1?  Thought I had read that for some of them.

2015-01-12 1:27 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Master
Northern IL

I've never worn one, but do you have to keep the top off during the swim and put it back on in T1?  Thought I had read that for some of them.

Neil, check the rules of the race for a non-wetsuit swim on that one. People have had to fold the top down for non-wetsuit swims as often times having something on the shoulders is not allowed. If it's wetsuit legal then you can leave it on.

2015-01-12 3:55 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by brigby1

Neil, check the rules of the race for a non-wetsuit swim on that one. People have had to fold the top down for non-wetsuit swims as often times having something on the shoulders is not allowed. If it's wetsuit legal then you can leave it on.

Several discussions on this on ST in the past year.  Basically any non-wetsuit legal WTC event they are not allowed as they follow FINA rules  For non-WTC, USAT sanctioned events this is not defined in the rules so technically it is allowable but RD can override this.  Based on range of motion I read about, I'm not sure I'd want to swim with one of these.  Seems like a speedsuit would be the best way to go for swim and ride in this case.

2015-01-12 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

In USAT races they are allowed.  I haven't had any issues swimming in one for a non wetsuit swim.  For wetsuit it's not an issue at all.

2015-01-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Disagree about always getting better fit with a two piece.

Of course not *always* it's just *easier* to find a fit, since you can have overlap of varying degrees and be fine :p
2015-01-14 10:57 AM

Don't take this as advice but just my two cents from my very limited experience (< 1 year racing). I started out using the TYR Competitor with front zipper. It's a one piece suit. My intial impression was that it worked great for the swim and the bike, but I found it to be very uncomfortable on my torso during the run. Too much pressure on my chest and shoulders to the point where my breathing was affected. The last race I did, which was a sprint, I wore the same suit and in T2 I unzipped the front and pulled the top down around my waist and did the run bare chested. It made a world of difference. For this reason I'm looking into a two piece set-up with a front zipper. I'm hoping that the two pieces will result in less pressure on my shoulders and if I need to relieve stress on my chest during the run the zipper is still there. I'm doing some longer races this year (olymics and a 70.3) so I don't want to continue with the bare chest approach with the sun exposure and all. My only concern is that the two piece set up will lead to drag in the swim. If anyone here can share reflections on that concern that would alleviate that I would say a two piece is optimal
2015-01-14 6:28 PM
in reply to: Gatornate

User image

Extreme Veteran
While in theory the one piece would be slightly more hydro-dynamic, I recently wore py 2-piece suit in the pool, and my fastest 100m of the session, and since my knee in jury was wearing the 2-piece suit ( as opposed to just my shorts )

I can't see a one-piece being *significantly* faster in terms of drag.
2015-01-15 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by dfquigley While in theory the one piece would be slightly more hydro-dynamic, I recently wore py 2-piece suit in the pool, and my fastest 100m of the session, and since my knee in jury was wearing the 2-piece suit ( as opposed to just my shorts ) I can't see a one-piece being *significantly* faster in terms of drag.

It does depend on many things: type of material, fit, pockets vs no pockets (or closed pockets).

That stated, there's a reason there's no such thing as a two piece swim skin.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Questions on 1st Tri Suit Purchase Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

1st time with wet suit (2nd tri ever)

Started by twickland
Views: 1008 Posts: 6

2011-03-18 4:04 PM perfecttri

1st Du down, 1st tri coming-question

Started by Av8rTx
Views: 815 Posts: 7

2010-10-18 11:17 AM uhcoog

Tri-bike purchase questions

Started by Sprint_DA
Views: 989 Posts: 4

2008-07-19 5:36 PM Sprint_DA

Tri Suit For 1st Triathlon?

Started by AeroHudson
Views: 700 Posts: 2

2006-07-11 9:10 AM the bear

1st OWS-1st Tri Questions

Started by retiretotri
Views: 933 Posts: 3

2006-06-26 10:26 AM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.