BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-04-28 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1366640

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

GomesBolt - 2008-04-28 10:03 AM Lisa, I didn't check-through your previous posts until just now. This may not help too much, but I tape the gels to my aerobars with masking tape and then tuck the wrappers in the leg of my shorts and dump them in my bike shoes during T-2. May not be a good thing to do on a really long ride because you'll have 10 wrappers there, but for a sprint or a 40-mile ride, it worked well-enough. Great Tip Aikidoman on the tire stuff. I didn't think about the CO2 thing. I do have a small puncture hole in my tire. should I switch-it-out or can I repair it? I've got two spares, but at $50 a piece that could get expensive. Anyone know why the rear tire goes flat more often than the front?

I have heard of a couple repairs - one is to cut a small piece of old tube and glue it over the hole on the inside.

But to be honest, holes also may have broken the kevlar/nylon threads in the tire as well.  After having a tear in my sidewall and blowing out 4 tubes in about 20 miles, I realized it's better to get a new tire.  I hear you on the cost, it sucks.  However, you can get some decent trainer tires on Nashbar for about 20-25 bucks.  I replaced my tire from the race with a trainer tire that's "ok" in my book for 35 bucks - but that was to just support my LBS.

Anyway, I have a decent set of race tires that I bust out on race days, and run the cheapo's the rest of the time.  Luckly for me (or not?, because I may have not gotten the flat), that I raced on my training wheels and tires because I found a problem with my race wheels the night before the race - so I didn't use them.  I ended up blowing out a trainer tire.

I don't think there is any relationship from front to back tire going flat.  Just luck of the draw.  In fact, MOST of mine happen in the front when I hit a rock or hole and get a pinch flat.  If there IS statistically a higher number of flats on a rear, it is probably due to the fact that more weight is on the back tire, so hitting a bump or hole has a bigger chance to getting a pinch flat.....

2008-04-28 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1366778

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Plans, plans, plans..... All I think about is plans......  Lauren, you maybe right.  Getting a coach could be the ticket....  I may investigate that a little more.

Anyway, I was looking at the plans offered on BT.  Maybe you guys can peak at these two (only the overall volume graphs if you are not a member like me)

I am looking at the Beginner IM plan - HR based, and the Intermediate IM Plan - hr based (both from the "silver membership" )

I actually feel the intermediate is better for me (who would have thunk it?)  It starts off faster (closer to where I left off after the HIM - around 10 hrs/week instead of 6 or 7 like the beginner) AND it has smaller peak weeks (I don't get that - nothing over 16 hours, where the beginner is close to 21!)

Plus the 20week plan sounds nicer than the 24 I have in my book!  AND I like the strength training.  Something to mix things up.  I can workout OTHER than s/b/r and feel like I'm doing something to get ready....

Thoughts or musings?

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-04-28 1:00 PM
2008-04-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1366897

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Aikidoman - 2008-04-28 12:59 PM

Plans, plans, plans..... All I think about is plans......  Lauren, you maybe right.  Getting a coach could be the ticket....  I may investigate that a little more.

Anyway, I was looking at the plans offered on BT.  Maybe you guys can peak at these two (only the overall volume graphs if you are not a member like me)

I am looking at the Beginner IM plan - HR based, and the Intermediate IM Plan - hr based (both from the "silver membership" )

I actually feel the intermediate is better for me (who would have thunk it?)  It starts off faster (closer to where I left off after the HIM - around 10 hrs/week instead of 6 or 7 like the beginner) AND it has smaller peak weeks (I don't get that - nothing over 16 hours, where the beginner is close to 21!)

Plus the 20week plan sounds nicer than the 24 I have in my book!  AND I like the strength training.  Something to mix things up.  I can workout OTHER than s/b/r and feel like I'm doing something to get ready....

Thoughts or musings?

x2 to all. My only problem with selecting a plan is that my weeks vary so much, I'm aftraid that if the plan says, "ok, on Monday you have to bike for 2 hours and swim for 40 mins", what if I can't bike for two hours on Mon, or even Tues? So I'd end up shuffling the whole plan around anyways. So what I do now is just shoot for volume with no specific goal in mind. I know I know, that's a terrible way to train, but it's what works for me now. But if I want to do the 70.3 next April, I'm sure I'll have to revisit that thought.

2008-04-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I use the 3x / week balanced Olympic plan although I'm not great at following it exactly how it's written.  I try and get my volume to match the little blue line each week and most of the time it's pretty close  

Life gets in the way and some days I just can't do an hour run on the scheduled day or the scheduled bike time.  I'm the worst at following the bike schedule because I haven't found anywhere around here yet where I can do the longer rides on the road bike and I  really can't stand the trainer.  I am gradually trying to build up my "mental toughness" on the trainer and add an additional 5 minutes each time I'm on it. 

During the winter I used the winter maintenance plan and I really liked it.  I'm sure after I do my first tri I'll get a really good look at what I need more work on (I know it'll be biking and swimming though )  and I'll go from there.

Edited by vball03umd 2008-04-28 2:36 PM
2008-04-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1366897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Aikidoman - 2008-04-28 1:59 PM

Thoughts or musings?

I have some of Gale Bernhardt's IM plans scanned in if you want to take a look at those, can I send an attachment in a PM ?

2008-04-28 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

hmm... I think my files are too large to attach here...

Edited by shiggy 2008-04-28 8:05 PM

2008-04-28 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1368076

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-04-28 6:01 PM

Shiggy,

Click on my Avatar.  It will put you in my "home page" (or whatever it is).  My email is there so you can send it.

Thanks!

2008-04-28 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1368397

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Take a look!  Thought I would support the site and get some additional features.  Just did 6 months for a trial run....

<-------------- Look!!!

2008-04-28 11:51 PM
in reply to: #1368405

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Aikidoman - 2008-04-28 9:37 PM

Take a look!  Thought I would support the site and get some additional features.  Just did 6 months for a trial run....

<-------------- Look!!!

Gotta support the site!   BT provides us with hours of entertainment!  Hmm.  Maybe I should say "training advice."  Yeah!  That sounds better!

2008-04-28 11:56 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I think I'm starting to crawl out of this sickly hole.  Tomorrow I plan on doing a very easy swim after teaching my morning Spinning class.  (I hope they don't beat me up to bad.  My morning class is filled with a bunch of animals!)  If that goes ok, I'll go for an easy run later in the day.  Can't do to much since I'm supposed to run a half marathon on Sunday!  Humph.  I may just run it part way with a slow friend that is going to do the whole marathon.  OK.  Chatty Cathy is signing off.  Good nite!!!
2008-04-29 4:34 AM
in reply to: #1368397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Aikidoman - 2008-04-29 12:34 AM
shiggy - 2008-04-28 6:01 PM

Shiggy,

Click on my Avatar.  It will put you in my "home page" (or whatever it is).  My email is there so you can send it.

Thanks!

okay cool, I just sent it to your reg email...

2008-04-29 5:43 AM

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

so my day yesterday was shot.  I had to stay late for work which completely threw off my workout schedule and I had to go food shopping, so I ended up not workout out yesterday.  But I did get $120 in food and have all my meals for today already made :-)

Oh and it was tough to get up and have breakfast right away this morning.  My stomach wanted to know what the hell I was doing.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-04-29 5:52 AM
2008-04-29 6:40 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Possible Injury

Ok, so I'm pretty freaked out that I have given myself an injury. It's the outside of my right ankle, just below the ball of my ankle. It's not the kind of pain that makes me limp, and it doesn't hurt with every step. But sometimes with the slightest movement in any direction, I can feel it. I noticed it really slightly late last week, and it was more noticeable yesterday and this morning. I'm not too well studied on foot injuries, so do any of you have any ideas? I've got a book on running injuries, so I plan on reading through it today.

I've been pushing myself pretty hard lately and I guess subconsciously I knew that my chances of an overuse injury were pretty high, but I was hoping to get lucky. Please, please, PLEASE don't let this be something that is going to stop my running for an extended period of time!

2008-04-29 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1368416

User image

Expert
New Orleans

owl_girl - 2008-04-28 11:56 PM I think I'm starting to crawl out of this sickly hole.  Tomorrow I plan on doing a very easy swim after teaching my morning Spinning class.  (I hope they don't beat me up to bad.  My morning class is filled with a bunch of animals!)  If that goes ok, I'll go for an easy run later in the day.  Can't do to much since I'm supposed to run a half marathon on Sunday!  Humph.  I may just run it part way with a slow friend that is going to do the whole marathon.  OK.  Chatty Cathy is signing off.  Good nite!!!

Glad you're feeling better. Hope that spinning class is good this morning, just don't push it to hard (this coming from the king of overdoing stuff). Good luck!

2008-04-29 6:46 AM
in reply to: #1368506

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
dlswimmer - 2008-04-29 6:43 AM

so my day yesterday was shot.  I had to stay late for work which completely threw off my workout schedule and I had to go food shopping, so I ended up not workout out yesterday.  But I did get $120 in food and have all my meals for today already made :-)

Oh and it was tough to get up and have breakfast right away this morning.  My stomach wanted to know what the hell I was doing.

Your stomach will get used to it and pretty soon will be waking you up to eat.  Good job sticking to the plan.

2008-04-29 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1368543

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Subject: RE: Possible Injury
jjweav - 2008-04-29 7:40 AM

Ok, so I'm pretty freaked out that I have given myself an injury. It's the outside of my right ankle, just below the ball of my ankle. It's not the kind of pain that makes me limp, and it doesn't hurt with every step. But sometimes with the slightest movement in any direction, I can feel it. I noticed it really slightly late last week, and it was more noticeable yesterday and this morning. I'm not too well studied on foot injuries, so do any of you have any ideas? I've got a book on running injuries, so I plan on reading through it today.

I've been pushing myself pretty hard lately and I guess subconsciously I knew that my chances of an overuse injury were pretty high, but I was hoping to get lucky. Please, please, PLEASE don't let this be something that is going to stop my running for an extended period of time!

I actually get the same pain after I run.  I have been a bit too lazy to look it up since it doesn't bother me all that much.  I would love to know what actually caused it too.  I just assumed I suck at running and my feet hate me.

2008-04-29 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I have pretty bad ankles because I have flat feet and I usually get pain in the same spot you are describing.  What seems to work for me to reduce the pain is ice after running.  I would also try an ankle support bandage.  Not the one you wrap around, but the one you slip on like a sock.  This will keep everything in place.  If it's really bad, go see a doctor.

2008-04-29 8:01 AM

Champion
South Jersey

It sounds like possibly peroneal tendon pain? But I could be wrong. Definitely don't run when you're in pain...especially since it hurts just to move it. Try ice and/or heat. Basically, whichever of the two reduces pain, go with it. If they both work, feel free to ice, then heat. You can also try a little massage. If wrapping it helps, feel free to go wtih it. But, if it is a possible tendon injury, certain injuries could be irritated with the pressure, so don't do anything that causes more pain.

Keep me posted! See a doc! And don't hesitate to try aquajogging. You know I've done A LOT of that so far this year, so I can definitely offer some advice .

2008-04-29 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1368673

Champion
South Jersey

Hey guys,

Just trying to catch up. I wasn't on BT much during the day yesterday (hectic day at work) and didn't get online much last night as it was a rest night and I had a lot to do. Joe is in his cancer surgery right now, so I'm a little on edge this AM; but otherwise okay.

If I missed anything, feel free to re-post it. This is an awesome thread and I love how everyone is providing support and advice to one another. WOOT!

2008-04-29 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1368673

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-29 6:01 AM

It sounds like possibly peroneal tendon pain? But I could be wrong. Definitely don't run when you're in pain...especially since it hurts just to move it. Try ice and/or heat. Basically, whichever of the two reduces pain, go with it. If they both work, feel free to ice, then heat. You can also try a little massage. If wrapping it helps, feel free to go wtih it. But, if it is a possible tendon injury, certain injuries could be irritated with the pressure, so don't do anything that causes more pain.

Keep me posted! See a doc! And don't hesitate to try aquajogging. You know I've done A LOT of that so far this year, so I can definitely offer some advice .

x2.  You  know, I always get some kind of weird pain or another once in a while (guess that's what happens when you get old!).  I usually give it a day or two and it goes away.  If it persists, no harm visiting a doc.

2008-04-29 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
WA

Hi group!  Hope everyone is well, and I'm crossing my fingers for you jjweav!!! Hopefully it just goes away.  and owl_girl, hope you continue to feel better!

I was sooooo tuckered from my Saturday ride that I could not build up the wherewithal to do any workouts for TWO days.  but this is a recovery week so I am not too concerned.  today i feel more like myself again, so yay! 

2008-04-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1369104

Champion
South Jersey
lisazapato - 2008-04-29 11:06 AM

Hi group!  Hope everyone is well, and I'm crossing my fingers for you jjweav!!! Hopefully it just goes away.  and owl_girl, hope you continue to feel better!

I was sooooo tuckered from my Saturday ride that I could not build up the wherewithal to do any workouts for TWO days.  but this is a recovery week so I am not too concerned.  today i feel more like myself again, so yay! 

Yep, if it's a recovery week and you're feeling like you need rest, take the rest. Good call. Glad you're feeling more like yourself today !

2008-04-29 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: BIke Question

Can anyone recommend a good bike 101 book?  I am pretty much a do-it-yourselfer and get lots of books to figure things out.  (Remodeled my whole house, using books and websites)  I need to know about bikes.  If I am going on the open road traveling at 20+ miles an hour, I need to know how this thing works and how to avoid and fix problems.

Thanks.

2008-04-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1369199

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: BIke Question
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-29 11:31 AM

Can anyone recommend a good bike 101 book? I am pretty much a do-it-yourselfer and get lots of books to figure things out. (Remodeled my whole house, using books and websites) I need to know about bikes. If I am going on the open road traveling at 20+ miles an hour, I need to know how this thing works and how to avoid and fix problems.

Thanks.

everyone says "zinn and the art of road bike maintenance" (i think that's the exact title) is a really great book. my hubby however, taught himself everything from the In-Ter-Net.

Sheldon Brown's website is very good, I think the Park Tool website has a lot of "how to" stuff also. He has a binder of all the pages he liked that he printed out.

I, in turn learned from hubby. However, if it were just me I think I'd prefer a book like the Zinn book.

Edited by lisazapato 2008-04-29 10:34 AM
2008-04-29 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1369204

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: BIke Question
lisazapato - 2008-04-29 11:34 AM
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-29 11:31 AM

Can anyone recommend a good bike 101 book? I am pretty much a do-it-yourselfer and get lots of books to figure things out. (Remodeled my whole house, using books and websites) I need to know about bikes. If I am going on the open road traveling at 20+ miles an hour, I need to know how this thing works and how to avoid and fix problems.

Thanks.

everyone says "zinn and the art of road bike maintenance" (i think that's the exact title) is a really great book. my hubby however, taught himself everything from the In-Ter-Net.

Sheldon Brown's website is very good, I think the Park Tool website has a lot of "how to" stuff also. He has a binder of all the pages he liked that he printed out.

I, in turn learned from hubby. However, if it were just me I think I'd prefer a book like the Zinn book.

x2. I pretty much just reference Sheldon Brown for everything (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/). His Web site is very "low tech," but extremely helpful and easy to understand.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66