BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 65

2011-04-17 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3435035

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-04-17 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3450867

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-17 6:50 AM

I've been suffering through a bad 2 weeks of training. Feeling bloated and nauseous along with fatigue. My wife pointed out to me that the new recovery protein drink I started (Interphase) may be the cause. I looked at the ingredients and it's all milk-based protein. I have lactose-intolerance, so I hope we have found the culprit!

I think I will head back to Endurox recovery drink.

So my question is what (and do you) recovery drink do you use? When do you drink it and after what kind of workout?

Endurox.  Quick absorbing sugar with a little protein -- I haven't found anything that works better.

2011-04-17 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3450466

2011-04-17 7:26 AM

Bronze member
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-17 5:50 AM

I've been suffering through a bad 2 weeks of training. Feeling bloated and nauseous along with fatigue. My wife pointed out to me that the new recovery protein drink I started (Interphase) may be the cause. I looked at the ingredients and it's all milk-based protein. I have lactose-intolerance, so I hope we have found the culprit!

I think I will head back to Endurox recovery drink.

So my question is what (and do you) recovery drink do you use? When do you drink it and after what kind of workout?

I do not have a lot of experience with recovery drinks. I just drink a glass of chocolate milk and then usually eat a small meal. I save the chocolate milk for workouts of 2 hours or more. This is just easy for me since we always have it at the house.

2011-04-17 8:41 AM

Bronze member

Ok - so I'm just sitting here catching up on the all the nutrition info that was talked about earlier in the week. The flooded basement put me behind a little. I am not exactly sure what a "feeding bottle" is. Sorry for the dumb question - I'm new to all of this!

This all seems a little overwhelming. I don't even remember my water bottle when I go to the pool. I did a 1.5 ride/30 min run brick on Friday and only drank 1/2 a bottle of water! I'm sure that is not good but it was right between lunch and dinner.

2011-04-17 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3450871

Fred Doucette - 2011-04-17 1:00 AM
tri808 - 2011-04-16 7:10 PM

Had a pretty good long bike/run brick.  Learned a lot...you can read more about it in my logs if you want.

Time for a nap...hope everyone has a good training weekend.

I think you are spot on about the observation of holding 80% FTP for 3 hours.

You have to be VERY strong to do that. Having that strength will let you ride your HIM at the effort you want and then run to your potential.

While on the one hand I like VDOT and McMillan type calculators, they are often abused (not by you) in the sense that running a fast 5K does NOT mean you are strong enough to run a marathon at the pace they designate. It means you are fast enough to run a marathon at a certain pace IF you do all the proper training.

I have not been doing 3hour rides at 80% FTP, but I have been doing a number of longer rides where I ride at 80-100% FTP for 45 min in the middle of the ride.

The big mistake would be to use a 5K running race or a 20' CP test on the bike to pace your HIM without the long rides at intensity and without the long runs. It just won't work. You need to see what you can do in training and what your body can handle. Different people can handle different things.

My guess in the Hawaii heat that it is actually going to be smarter to pace your HIM a bit lower on the FTP% scale. Last year at Eagleman 70.3 it was over 100 degrees. I paced my bike very conservatively (by HR) and it resulted in a much better run than most.

yup...agree across the board.  This is one of the reason's I really love this sport.  Constant learning experience.

2011-04-17 9:27 AM

I use a GNC product called AMP Mass XXX for recovery.

It's marketed as a weight gainer...assuming you take the full 4 scoop/750 calorie serving size.

I take half a serving 2 scoops/375 calories and blend in a scoop of peanut butter...so roughly 450-500 calories.

The main nutrition facts of the product are (half serving...off the top of my head)

375 cal
62g carbs
25g protien
bunch of sodium
bunch of potasium

so the roughly 2.5:1 carb to protien level is really what I'm looking for.  I usually only take this after hard bike rides or my long run...so about 3-4x per week.  When on sale, you can buy the big container buy one, get one half off...so it comes out to about $1.35 per 375 calorie serving.  I don't take it because I believe it does some magical recovery.  I take it because it's a super cheap and convienient way to get about 500 calories in my body right after a hard workout.  If someone would make me a ham sandwich for $1.35 after every workout...I would prefer that. 

2011-04-17 10:20 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I don't really use a recovery drink.  I will have some chocolate milk sometimes (won't help for the lactose-intolerant), but will also just have some food and drink sometimes, too.  But chocolate milk if I'm in a rush and just want something with a nice mix of carbs & protein.  Quick, tasty and relatively cheap.
2011-04-17 10:33 AM

Expert
For the last few months I started using Body Fortress Whey protein (chocolate flavor) for recovery.  My son has been using it for football and now rugby and recommended it to me.  I mix it with a 12 oz glass of milk.  I take it within 30 minutes of a long session and it seems to do the trick.  I have been noticing less muscle fatigue but cannot say for sure if it is the drink, better fitness, or merely placebo effect.  Either way, it seems to be working so I will stick with it.  I've also seen a reduction in the "3 AM refrigerator raids".
2011-04-17 12:18 PM

Elite
Ontario

Recovery drink - not really following any plan on this, although I will have a protein drink + carbs (as food) after a long run/ride.

Fred - your comment about intensity in training and riding at 80% FTP for 3 hours.  I realize that your approach is a little different than Jason's in that your adding some shorter/higher levels of intensity within the long ride, but does it average out in the end to a ride close to that 80% mark?  Does anyone have a preferred method - long and steady or long wih higher intensity mixed in?  Also, will you run with any intensity for the long runs, or do you pace those strictly on lower HR zones?

P.S.  Manned up and got the run done in the wind, snow, and ice pellets.  Much less torturous than being in the treadmill IMO.

2011-04-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3451111

2011-04-17 1:34 PM

2011-04-17 3:13 PM

Got in my long run this morning.  Started out easier than normal, but got suckered into running an extra mile than I had planned, and a little harder than planned in the middle section.  Wisely backed it off the last 4 miles though and finished feeling pretty good.

Easy week coming up...hoping to give the body a little reset.  From what I hear, a lot of people in my training group are starting to feel it...so at least I'm not the only one.  Did pretty good on my diet the past few days after "calling myself out".  Will really need to stay focused this coming week since my workouts will back off quite a bit and my calorie burn won't be as high.

2011-04-17 5:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Nice easy long run for me today as well... All Z1 which keeps me just ahead of the turtles chewing me down the street. Beautiful day and ice is off the lake officially as of last Friday!!! OWS starting in a few weeks! (my doc to my sisters is 1250m so easy to measure!) can't wait to get out of the pool for anday or two each week!
2011-04-17 9:01 PM

Bronze member
First open water swim of the season tonight in my training partners pond. Brrr, a little colder than we thought - 60 degrees. I told her this is when we switch from getting a good workout to - ok, this is just a little crazy.  Swimming with the catfish wearing a wetsuit in a 60 degree pond - not normal!
2011-04-18 4:08 AM

Expert
Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I'm up waiting for the pool to open.  Drinking coffee as I always do.  To further our recent discussion on nutrition, would like to ask others opinion about caffeine?  I drink 4-5 sups of coffee throughout the day and am probably somewhat dependent on it.  On long rides or races, who uses caffeine as part of their regimen?  Thoughts on whether  caffeine enhances performance? 

2011-04-18 6:06 AM

2011-04-18 6:34 AM

2011-04-18 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3451865

Elite
Ontario
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-18 7:34 AM

Anyone used this graphic before?

It's really interesting imho. It assumes a well-trained triathlete who raeches the run without over-cooking the bike or swim

Lemme know your thoughts?

My question with the VDOT chart - how ca you figure out how accurate or close it will be for you on raceday?  I'd love to think I can rub sub 1:40 in my HIM (assumes I run a good HM in the next few weeks), but what distances in training do I really need to do to get a good predicition?  Running 10km after 90km on the bike isn't really sufficient - or is it if you have a high enough level of intensity on the ride and possibly run at a faster pace for the 10km?  So essentially, both bike and run training (in a test sessiono) are a bit harder than expected race intensity.

Good theory, bad theory?

2011-04-18 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3451801

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

jimmyb - 2011-04-18 4:08 AM Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I'm up waiting for the pool to open.  Drinking coffee as I always do.  To further our recent discussion on nutrition, would like to ask others opinion about caffeine?  I drink 4-5 sups of coffee throughout the day and am probably somewhat dependent on it.  On long rides or races, who uses caffeine as part of their regimen?  Thoughts on whether  caffeine enhances performance? 

I am a bit dependent on the caffeine but interestingly, I rarely have any before a morning workout.  Once I get out running or biking in the morning, my energy is usually kicked started by the actual exercise.  However, during work hours I definitely need my caffeine and will always consume several cups of coffee.

My plan finally calls for a "recovery" week which after 7 weeks of steady and/or slight build, seems like like it waited far too long.  I am certainly looking forward to the reduction in hours.

2011-04-18 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3451941

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Caffiene - I use some in racing.  No idea if it really helps.  I probably average the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee per day.  Some days more, some less (usually tea those days and less caffiene content than my coffee).  The only thing I'm really 'religious' about is my pre-race coffee.  And that has nothing to do with the caffiene. 

vDot chart - It's an approximation.  No way to know how close you can come without doing it.  Since it essentially implies "with the proper training", falling short tells you that either you didn't train sufficiently.  Or that you paced improperly.  (Or, of course, some combination of the two.)  But, it's a reasonable guideline and something to shoot for.  As with establishing a vDot score, you prove it by racing.

2011-04-18 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3451844

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Swim done this morning--more of a recovery swim after a lot of time on the trainer this weekend.  Plan to do a short run this evening.

Week will be interesting, since I have to figure out what I can fit in while accounting for the fact that Easter is likely a rest day next weekend.  Hope to have time to ride on Friday--and might drop a swim then as a result.  Running in a 5k on Sat which is run in honor of a family friend who passed away a few years ago.  Hopefully that will be post-long ride, so no time goals at all.  The juggling act continues!

2011-04-18 11:26 AM

Caffeine - I'm not dependant on it, but I drink a large diet coke at lunch every M-F...none at home though, and usually not on the weekends.  For training, I like chocolate GU, which has caffeine, but I don't think it's necessary for me.

VDot - I don't think it applies to me because I don't think I'm well trained through all distances yet.  My shorter racing speed is far ahead of my longer distances...I think.  I recently did an 8.15 mile running race in February at a 7:27 pace, which would imply something like a 45-46 minute 10k...which I think I could do, but I don't think I could do a 1:40-1:42 half marathon, and I certainly don't think I could do a 1:41-1:49 HIM run.

I also think that the VDot calculator doesn't apply well to Hawaii.  Here locally, a lot of the 5k, 10k, and HM races start really early to avoid the heat of the day.  Heck, even the honolulu marathon starts at 5am, and the Kenyans finish about 10 minutes after the sun rises.  So applying your 10k time done at 6am isn't going to correlate well to your HIM run time that starts at 10:30 am...unless you're doing your HIM in cooler weather.

FWIW...I estimate my VDot to be around 44...but I'm "hoping" to run a 1:55 for my HIM.

2011-04-18 11:34 AM

Plans for the week (recovery week)

Monday - Masters swim, cancel the normal 3 mile run
Tuesday - Cut run from 5 to 3 miles, and steady (70-85%) 75 minute ride instead of 90 minutes with 110%+ intervals
Wednesday - Normal day...3 mile run, masters swim
Thursday - Cut run from 5 to 4 miles, and group ride (but riding less aggressive)
Friday - OFF...compared to usual 6 mile run and 2k swim

2011-04-18 11:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Sorry I've been out for a long weekend - had a lot of catching up to do on this thread! I was in Palm Desert for my brother's bachelor party Thursday - Sunday. Ate like crap, drank way more than I should have, and didn't sleep much at all. Managed a 3 hour long run Friday, 1 hour run Saturday, 1 hour swim Sunday. It was nice to do some training in the heat. Highs were 96-99 all weekend.

I'm now in my peak volume week (18 hours)! Only 33 days to go until IMTX. Getting pretty excited! Tonight I'll hit the pool, might even try a 2.4 mile TT. I've done this once before and I think I was in the 1:06 range.

Recovery drinks: don't use them...I just eat a ton after long/hard workouts.

Caffeine: I drink a cup of coffee a day typically. Sometimes I don't on weekends. For race day I'll have half a cup as soon as I wake up (helps with going to the bathroom!).

-Dave

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay and Fred Doucette's HIM/IM focused Mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 65