General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-10-28 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3743009

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread
GMAN 19030 - 2011-10-28 6:20 PM

I'd certainly agree with that and 3 hours isn't WAY more than 2.5 hours.  Nevertheless, I think designing a plan that caters to distance has the *potential* to be negligent depending on the abilities of the athlete.

Let's say the athlete runs 12 or 13 minute miles and you want them to run 18 miles... that's nearly 4 hours of running.  I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to long run for 4 hours every week.  That would be the equivalent of running a marathon (or more) every week for me.  My body would give up after a couple of weeks of that.  Recovery would quickly become an issue and risk of injury would skyrocket. I'm a firm believer that time is what kills you, not the mileage.  Your body doesn't really care that you ran xx # of miles.  Your body cares that you ran for xx amount of time.  All that said, why do we expect slower folks to spend that much time running?  If faster folks who are arguably in better shape and probably recover better don't run 3.5 or 4 or 4.5 hours in training, don't you think it's a bit over the top to ask that of people who aren't as fast or recover as well or might be older or might be heavier or whatever the case might be?  Let's leave pro triathletes out of this discussion for obvious reasons of genetics and endless time to rest and recover.

The problem is many triathlon coaches adopt their running philosophies from running coaches who coach distance runners.  The only thing a marathon and an Ironman marathon have in common is 26.2 miles and that's where the similarities end.  That "long run for xx miles" stuff is fine for marathon training.  That's because they're just running and not training for three different events.  The recovery from a 3.5 to 4 hour run would take away from my ability to ride my bike and/or swim the next day.  Either I skip the ride/swim or I ride/swim anyway (because we're stubborn type-A triathletes) and start putting myself into a recovery blackhole.  Then my future workouts are in jeopardy because my body is completely thrashed and I can't recover like I want or I'm missing key workouts so I can recover.  All because someone said I had to run 18 miles.  What about training during the summer?  Running in the heat takes a lot more out of you than when it's cooler and pacing slows down.  Using my 13 minute per mile person example - now that 18 mile run takes 4.5 hours to complete because it's 95 degrees out.

Well a few things... a client will NOT run 4 hours week after week. The longest runs, in the 16-18 mile range only happen towards the very end, and only a couple of times.

Also, a good coach ramps their athlete up properly. I am very conservative when it come to running and I ramp athletes at 10% per week in overall run volume, and 10% each week for the long run. So the ramp up takes place over months. A proper training plan has base building, build and recovery weeks. The key is to push the athlete to the edge, but not send them over it.

Otherwise, running 16-18 miles during IM training is standard IM training stuff. It's not marathon training.

Here is a great comment one of the coaches on our team had about this discussion:

One thing to keep in mind; the Endurance Nation guys do a training system that relies on sort of generic plans and a forum for feedback. They do a 90% solution and will even tell you that it's a 90% solution. I'm not sure how much active, one-on-one coaching they do. With a generic plan and little monitoring of the athlete, saying limit the run to 2.5 hours makes sense.

Another issue I have with their arguement is the concept of risk. There is risk in everything we do not just with the run. As coaches we have to mitigate risk and injury - yes. But at the same time we have to place enough stress on the athletes so that the proper physiologic adaptations happen. Being too risk averse can be as much of a problem as being too risky.

With active coaching you need to learn how much training stress your athletes can handle. This is the 'art' part of coaching.

There are many ways to get to long run:
- 2 runs in one day. I've done that in my own training. It's not the same as one long run.
- Run/Walk for the long run. I'm a big proponent of the run/walk. The main reason is that very few athletes actually run the entire IM marathon. If you know some walking will be done in the race, then it makes sense to practice run/walk in training.
- I agree with xxxx and xxxx about seperating the long run and long bike by several days. It makes no sense to 'run on tired legs'.
- Of course, there should be a build up to the appropriate long run time/distance.

At the end of the day though, only YOU know YOUR body. If running up to only 2.5 hours works for you... then go for it! If you ever use a coach, you would want someone who will train you that way, because that is what you believe.

I believe tri training is a bit like cooking. You can have 5 different cooks bake a cake. They will all have their own spin on it, and they will all make their cake a little different... but the basics will still be there and they all will have made a cake.

2011-10-28 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3517225

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

I'm eating cupcakes and they're delicious.

Thought I'd throw some random stuff out there to break up all the long run/coaching yappy yap.

Have a great day!

2011-10-29 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3743090

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
KSH - 2011-10-28 7:51 PM

I'd certainly agree with that and 3 hours isn't WAY more than 2.5 hours.  Nevertheless, I think designing a plan that caters to distance has the *potential* to be negligent depending on the abilities of the athlete.

Let's say the athlete runs 12 or 13 minute miles and you want them to run 18 miles... that's nearly 4 hours of running.  I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to long run for 4 hours every week.  That would be the equivalent of running a marathon (or more) every week for me.  My body would give up after a couple of weeks of that.  Recovery would quickly become an issue and risk of injury would skyrocket. I'm a firm believer that time is what kills you, not the mileage.  Your body doesn't really care that you ran xx # of miles.  Your body cares that you ran for xx amount of time.  All that said, why do we expect slower folks to spend that much time running?  If faster folks who are arguably in better shape and probably recover better don't run 3.5 or 4 or 4.5 hours in training, don't you think it's a bit over the top to ask that of people who aren't as fast or recover as well or might be older or might be heavier or whatever the case might be?  Let's leave pro triathletes out of this discussion for obvious reasons of genetics and endless time to rest and recover.

The problem is many triathlon coaches adopt their running philosophies from running coaches who coach distance runners.  The only thing a marathon and an Ironman marathon have in common is 26.2 miles and that's where the similarities end.  That "long run for xx miles" stuff is fine for marathon training.  That's because they're just running and not training for three different events.  The recovery from a 3.5 to 4 hour run would take away from my ability to ride my bike and/or swim the next day.  Either I skip the ride/swim or I ride/swim anyway (because we're stubborn type-A triathletes) and start putting myself into a recovery blackhole.  Then my future workouts are in jeopardy because my body is completely thrashed and I can't recover like I want or I'm missing key workouts so I can recover.  All because someone said I had to run 18 miles.  What about training during the summer?  Running in the heat takes a lot more out of you than when it's cooler and pacing slows down.  Using my 13 minute per mile person example - now that 18 mile run takes 4.5 hours to complete because it's 95 degrees out.

Well a few things... a client will NOT run 4 hours week after week. The longest runs, in the 16-18 mile range only happen towards the very end, and only a couple of times. Also, a good coach ramps their athlete up properly. I am very conservative when it come to running and I ramp athletes at 10% per week in overall run volume, and 10% each week for the long run. So the ramp up takes place over months. A proper training plan has base building, build and recovery weeks. The key is to push the athlete to the edge, but not send them over it. Otherwise, running 16-18 miles during IM training is standard IM training stuff. It's not marathon training.

Totally agree with Karen here - no one has said they ran their longest long runs "week after week" they are built up gradually and only a small number of the very long runs occur (if more than one at all).

I guess I didn't specify but my planned running was indeed by TIME not distance. My coach had me running 3 hours for one of my long runs, and 2.5 hours for a couple of others. He never said "go run 18 miles no matter how long it takes" it was time based.

Back to my original point - what works for one person is not going to work across the board for everyone. So when someone posted "there is no reason to run that far/long" I had to completely disagree - because I certainly benefited from running "that far/long." I was simply giving an example of what worked best for me, from a slow runners point of view. And I understand it will not be ideal for everyone.

Edited by lisac957 2011-10-29 11:28 AM
2011-10-29 6:07 PM
in reply to: #3743517

Champion
No excuses!
lisac957 - 2011-10-29 12:24 PM
KSH - 2011-10-28 7:51 PM

Well a few things... a client will NOT run 4 hours week after week. The longest runs, in the 16-18 mile range only happen towards the very end, and only a couple of times. Also, a good coach ramps their athlete up properly. I am very conservative when it come to running and I ramp athletes at 10% per week in overall run volume, and 10% each week for the long run. So the ramp up takes place over months. A proper training plan has base building, build and recovery weeks. The key is to push the athlete to the edge, but not send them over it. Otherwise, running 16-18 miles during IM training is standard IM training stuff. It's not marathon training.

Totally agree with Karen here - no one has said they ran their longest long runs "week after week" they are built up gradually and only a small number of the very long runs occur (if more than one at all).

I guess I didn't specify but my planned running was indeed by TIME not distance. My coach had me running 3 hours for one of my long runs, and 2.5 hours for a couple of others. He never said "go run 18 miles no matter how long it takes" it was time based.

Back to my original point - what works for one person is not going to work across the board for everyone. So when someone posted "there is no reason to run that far/long" I had to completely disagree - because I certainly benefited from running "that far/long." I was simply giving an example of what worked best for me, from a slow runners point of view. And I understand it will not be ideal for everyone.

Are you signed up for an IM next year Lisa?

Sounds like Louisville went well this year Cool

2011-10-31 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3743808

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Shermbelle - 2011-10-29 6:07 PM

Are you signed up for an IM next year Lisa?

Sounds like Louisville went well this year Cool

No no... it's on my list to consider in the future so I thought I'd pop in and see who was doing it and what ya'll were talking about

2011-11-01 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Memphis

200 day alert.  Just 200 more days until you better be ready no matter how far you walked, ran or crawled in training.

Swim is slowly improving, run base build is coming along with a nice firm base and a long run of 5.25 miles this week (I'm rebuilding from scratch and running 6x a week).  Bike is strong with 3 hour trainer rides on Saturdays. 

2011-11-01 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3747303

Master
Montgomery, Tx
dhwebb - 2011-11-01 12:45 PM

200 day alert.  Just 200 more days until you better be ready no matter how far you walked, ran or crawled in training.

Swim is slowly improving, run base build is coming along with a nice firm base and a long run of 5.25 miles this week (I'm rebuilding from scratch and running 6x a week).  Bike is strong with 3 hour trainer rides on Saturdays. 

i am not worried at all

2011-11-01 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Can't wait!  I just ordered a powertap (finally) and our countdown to move is 60 days.  If anyone hasn't seen the powertap group buy you can check it out here.  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=273294&posts=26&start=1

I was planning  on ordering one with a new front wheel but with this deal I was able to get the PT Pro laced in a 32h DT Swiss wheel, a front DT Swiss, and a Joule 2.0 for under $1200.  I would have been able to get the two wheels for that price but without the Joule.  Heck of a deal and I have no affiliation with either Jorge or Landry's.

2011-11-02 3:32 PM

hi guys!  i'm in for this race - and scaaaared, hah!  first IM.

um, i hope i'm posting correctly.  this is also my first time posting here

2011-11-02 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3751280

Master
Montgomery, Tx
christagins - 2011-11-02 3:32 PM

You should not be scared just respect the distance. lol

your post is correct.  There are a few of us who did the race last year and are signed up for another run so ask questions. 

Anyone else excited 149 is getting repaved this week?  I wounder if fm1486 is also on the list.  That would be great!

Edited by TriPatrick 2011-11-02 7:10 PM
2011-11-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3751549

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
TriPatrick - 2011-11-02 7:04 PM

your post is correct.  There are a few of us who did the race last year and are signed up for another run so ask questions. 

Anyone else excited 149 is getting repaved this week?  I wounder if fm1486 is also on the list.  That would be great!

I would suspect 1486 would get a repave since they seem to be redoing all of those roads.  Unfortunately it would probably not include the section that needs it the most which is in Grimes county.

2011-11-02 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX

Alright a few questions for those that have done this race. First...the hills. How bad are they? I am speaking specifically for someone who lives in Houston and trains on FLAT, WINDY roads. I plan on riding the course a few times but the majority of what I ride is flat flat flat.

Next, wheel set? What did you use/do you recommend for this course? Currently I have an old tri spoke front and that's it. I'm possibly going to ditch that and either rent a wheelset or but a set of Flo's if they are out by then. Considered renting Sram S80 or buying a set of Flo's (either the 90's or a 90 for the rear and 60 for the front. 

What say you?

2011-11-02 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3751549

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Repaved with what though? I hope not chip seal!

2011-11-02 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3751723

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
LukeTX04 - 2011-11-02 9:12 PM

Alright a few questions for those that have done this race. First...the hills. How bad are they? I am speaking specifically for someone who lives in Houston and trains on FLAT, WINDY roads. I plan on riding the course a few times but the majority of what I ride is flat flat flat.

Next, wheel set? What did you use/do you recommend for this course? Currently I have an old tri spoke front and that's it. I'm possibly going to ditch that and either rent a wheelset or but a set of Flo's if they are out by then. Considered renting Sram S80 or buying a set of Flo's (either the 90's or a 90 for the rear and 60 for the front. 

What say you?

While it's not completely flat, it's also not hilly. There are a few rises, but nothing that I would consider a HILL. Not super flat, but not hilly.

Not sure on the wheel set. I'll let someone else take that one.

2011-11-02 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3751280

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Hello and welcome.

2011-11-02 9:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

What say you?

Last year I ran my 40 up front and a disc cover on the back. Worked just fine on race day. Dont see my setup changing this year unless I come into a few extra bucks and get a deeper front wheel. Disc Covers are cheap and do the job very well!

2011-11-03 7:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

What say you?

It's "hilly" by Houston standards but not that bad at all.  It's actually refreshing to get a little variance in the elevation.  Riding on really flat terrain becomes quite tedious.  I almost bored myself to death on the IMFL course.

Here's my Garmin file for the IMTX ride so you can see the elevation profile: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88047320

As for wheel setup: I ran my usual 60mm front/disc rear combo.  Worked fine and I'd have no issues running a deeper wheel up front.  Crosswinds aren't much of an issue on that course as winds are usually blowing from the south that time of year and most of the IMTX bike course is north/south.

2011-11-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3785935

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
GMAN 19030 - 2011-11-03 7:47 AM

What say you?

It's "hilly" by Houston standards but not that bad at all.  It's actually refreshing to get a little variance in the elevation.  Riding on really flat terrain becomes quite tedious.  I almost bored myself to death on the IMFL course.

Here's my Garmin file for the IMTX ride so you can see the elevation profile: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88047320

As for wheel setup: I ran my usual 60mm front/disc rear combo.  Worked fine and I'd have no issues running a deeper wheel up front.  Crosswinds aren't much of an issue on that course as winds are usually blowing from the south that time of year and most of the IMTX bike course is north/south.

My boyfriend did IM Cozumel, and he said that he wanted some elevation change... all flat is BORING.

I personally like hills. Not massive hills, but rollers are good. That's why I did IM Kentucky as my first IM. I figured I would never do IMTX because I hate flat, windy courses. I rode it last year with my tri club (we did a long course camp down there for a weekend), and I loved the course. While it's not hilly, it had just enough elevation to keep it interesting.

2011-11-03 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

What say you?

I think the trispoke with a wheel cover would be a good choice on this course. Depending on the winds and your speed, this combination is likely to be as fast or faster than most other combinations. I would go this route over renting. If you've got the bug and the cash to buy new wheels, then that's a different story.

2011-11-03 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3787195

North Carolina
g_shotts - 2011-11-03 10:36 PM

I think the trispoke with a wheel cover would be a good choice on this course. Depending on the winds and your speed, this combination is likely to be as fast or faster than most other combinations. I would go this route over renting. If you've got the bug and the cash to buy new wheels, then that's a different story.

I run HED3's front and back and haven't had a problem in any conditions yet (hilly, flat, windy...etc).  Strong crosswinds can have you riding a little sideways sometimes, but other than that, they're always fast.  I would suggest checking out the HED's for you're looking at renting or buying.

Note: I am not affiliated with HED, I just like my gear

2011-11-03 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
I used a H3 front and disc cover on rear and I will be using this setup again. Crosswind is not an issure as long as you are paying attention. On the north side of the course when you are traveling east/west, you will get blasted by crosswind when there are gaps in the trees.

2011-11-03 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX

Thanks everyone for their replies. I am actually looking forward to a little elevation change to break it up just shift in my seat a little time anyone says the word "hills." As for wheels, all good suggestions. I actually have 2 of the old Specialized tri spoke's that I bought on BT several years ago that were used on a race chair. They are each front wheels (one for me, one for the wife) and we have raced on them several times each with just our rear training wheels. I had to put axle's in them when I got them and now they are needing a really good cleaning/greasing which I'm in the process of. Might do a disc cover or a Flo disc to pair with it. Lots of choices!

Since I have been away from triathlon for 2 years and recently came back in May and did 2 short sprints this late season, training is proving to be a lot of fun. I am learning new things about myself, my form, my gear, etc each time I am out and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sure that my attitude could change drastically in the next ~27 weeks but we shall see! For me, this race is a finish before midnight and anything earlier is just icing on the cake kinda thing so I am looking forward to the training and the pain, and the fun!

2011-11-03 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3751737

Master
Montgomery, Tx
KSH - 2011-11-02 9:24 PM

Repaved with what though? I hope not chip seal!

Asphalt.  I just drove over a portion after picking my boys up and it is smooth.

I do not think I got out of my big ring last year (50) and this year I will not for sure because my bike is a POS.  My internal sleave will not allow a new cable through to front derailure so strong biker I must become.  Anyone have a large frame laying around- for cheap?

2011-11-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3787195

User image

New user

Richmond
The H3 Front and Disc (or Disc Cover) is the perfect set up for this course. I ran this set up last year in TX and rode well below my target to a 5:02....it can be a very fast course if you ride smart.
2011-11-07 11:36 AM

User image

New user
Vienna, Austria
Hello Everybody,

guess its my first posting in this forum, after reading time to time one or the other topic.

I am in for IM TX next year. After a few IM in Europe it will be now my first one in US.

Looking forward for a great Race !

@ Elavation: does anybody know the total uphill elevation - i read somewhere that its 1400ft, but attached elvation shows 2700ft - which one is correct and what percentage are the steepest climbs - 10% or less ?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/88047320

@ hotel: As i travel to Houston already 1 week before the race (coming from Austria), i was looking for a hotel with kitchenette, which turned out to be quite difficult to find.

A few weeks ago i booked a room in the Days Inn in Shenandoah - does anybody know it ?

greetings from Europe,
Erwin
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 57