BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2011-12-21 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3947321

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP- OPEN
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 6:12 AM

Guess what?  It's WEDNESDAY!  Who's racing a little Santa Dash? something else?  Spill the beans! (For you newbies, this question comes at you every week and gives you a chance to lay out your race details and strategy)

If you're not racing, what the heck are you doing? higlights please!

No racing here.  I will get some swim/bike/run in.  Having a bunch of family over for a relaxing Christmas hanging out, playing games and cooking.

2011-12-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3949001

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING
badgerintx - 2011-12-21 9:43 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 7:48 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 6:19 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 6:28 PM  What do you guys think about doing an Olympic race 3 weeks before a HIM?  4 weeks would be ideal, but doesn't look like that's an option.  Am I compromising the HIM by doing it that close, or am I still good?

Just trying to figure out next year's secondary races.

great question!  i think this is your first him, right?  for the first i'd say not a good idea to race that oly at all... 2 3 or 4 weeks out.  your focus should be on the race a few weeks away.  especially the 4th and 3rd week before the race.  these are going to be your long last rides and runs heading into race day.  and don't read that as time on the bike or on your feet but rather what is going on between your ears and into your gut... the long course is just as much about the mental game and nutrition as much as it is about the physical workout.  these last few workouts are VERY important for just this.

once you get a couple under your belt and you have a better handle on nutrition, pace, etc... i think 2 weeks out is ideal.  3 weeks is probably the worst as its the last big push.  4 weeks is a second to 2 weeks.  now i wouldn't go race something like the oly up at savage but a faster course would be ideal.  and maybe try not to go all out but that's a whole lot easier to say than do. 

This is good advice.  I think my gut was already saying 3 weeks is too close.  I guess I just needed confirmation.

To answer the question, yes this is my first HIM.  It is my A race, no question.  Any other race I plan is with this one in mind.

Last year, I did 3 sprints (2 pool, one open water) and an Olympic.  That was my first year of triathlons.

How about 6 weeks out?  (There's also a possible race 7 weeks out, but I think the 6 week out one will work better, as it's more local.)  I know you said, don't race that Oly at all, but having done just one Oly race, I think it would be good for me from a confidence perspective... 

I will add to Fatty's good advice above here and answer with a firms "it depends."  I know, I know, don't go out a limb here but .......... 

• Are you doint the event to Complete or Compete? 
  • is this A HIM early or late in the season?
  • Is it possible for heat to be an issue at either race, which will have an adverse effect on either your ability to recover or your needed fitness to race? 
  • How has your training been up to the A race, consistant with decent mileage and at your goal paces? 
  • Did you get at least 2 full distance rides in with your nutrition dialed in, meaning few or no stomach issues at full caloric needs for the race during the ride? 
  • Did your stomach feel like you would have been able to run at the pace you want to run off the bike during your rehearsal being fully fueled?  
  • Did you get at least 2 ten to thirteen mile runs in at goal pace or faster? 
  • Can you complete in an Oly without racing

I would say that if you cannot answer yes to most of these questions, you would be better served by having a race rehearsal day than scheduling an actual race in that time frame.  The biggest change for you going from an Oly to a HIM is going to be the nutritional side of racing and trying to fuel on the bike.  Fair warning that it is one area of racing can be greatly affected by heat, stress, etc. and will take some trial and error to dial in ......  Lots of the IMer's in this group can give you some really good nutrional advice.  It has derailed many a very fit athlete from finishing and needs lots of respect because only you can figure out what works for you!!! 

^^^ every once in a while these EN guys show up with good advice.  don't let them know that though... its our job to keep the man down!

2011-12-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3948932

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 7:48 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 6:28 PM

What do you guys think about doing an Olympic race 3 weeks before a HIM?  4 weeks would be ideal, but doesn't look like that's an option.  Am I compromising the HIM by doing it that close, or am I still good?

great question!  i think this is your first him, right?  for the first i'd say not a good idea to race that oly at all... 2 3 or 4 weeks out.  your focus should be on the race a few weeks away.  especially the 4th and 3rd week before the race.  these are going to be your long last rides and runs heading into race day.  and don't read that as time on the bike or on your feet but rather what is going on between your ears and into your gut... the long course is just as much about the mental game and nutrition as much as it is about the physical workout.  these last few workouts are VERY important for just this.

once you get a couple under your belt and you have a better handle on nutrition, pace, etc... i think 2 weeks out is ideal.  3 weeks is probably the worst as its the last big push.  4 weeks is a second to 2 weeks.  now i wouldn't go race something like the oly up at savage but a faster course would be ideal.  and maybe try not to go all out but that's a whole lot easier to say than do. 

This is good advice.  I think my gut was already saying 3 weeks is too close.  I guess I just needed confirmation.

To answer the question, yes this is my first HIM.  It is my A race, no question.  Any other race I plan is with this one in mind.

Last year, I did 3 sprints (2 pool, one open water) and an Olympic.  That was my first year of triathlons.

How about 6 weeks out?  (There's also a possible race 7 weeks out, but I think the 6 week out one will work better, as it's more local.)  I know you said, don't race that Oly at all, but having done just one Oly race, I think it would be good for me from a confidence perspective...

I'm a little late to the party, but what races are you doing before you do that HIM?  I think doing a race leading up to it is a good idea, especially if you have any trepidation about OW.   I actually used an Oly four weeks before my first HIM to test out my bike strategy and to get more OWS experience (which I sorely lacked).  I find it very easy to take a race and use it to test strtategies without going balls to the wall for the whole thing. It can be very helpful if you can hold to your strategy.  That way I still had the next week for a long ride and long run leading into the HIM.

2011-12-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3948807

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 4:28 PM

What do you guys think about doing an Olympic race 3 weeks before a HIM?  4 weeks would be ideal, but doesn't look like that's an option.  Am I compromising the HIM by doing it that close, or am I still good?

Do the chinook Oly on June16th. I've done it for the last 3 years. Its a great local Oly to start the year off. Some people go to Wasa at the start of June, but I like this one as its local.

You'll have it under your belt and then six or so more weeks to get ready for July 29th!

2011-12-21 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3948982

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 7:30 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 8:48 PM

hmmm.  i don't know.  i'm gonna suzy you here and ask..what does your plan say?  6/7 weeks out you should be in the thick of the heavy hours.  if it takes you 5 days to recover than the next weekend's long days are going to be affected.  consistency among workouts should be a priority.  anything that can negatively affect this consistency should be avoided.  as your base grows, as you gain an understanding of what your body can do and as you accumulate a bit of training and racing knowledge you'll better be able to kinda figure all this crap out. i sure have a long way to go,  but i'm father along than i was a few years ago.  its what makes this so f'ing cool.

so, i don't want to dissuade you from busting out the oly but i think the focus of the training program leading up to the first 70.3 should be just that, training.  i get where some folks say race experience is good but, to me, this only holds true if the 70.3 is your first race. in your case its not.   you've got experience.  you know what transitions are like and what coming out of T2 is like.  are you an expert...no but you've gone through the motions under race conditions.  clearly you're not as good as me at transitions but few if any are! you get the pre-race jitters (which ain't sh+t to the standing on the line of you're first half... do not let anyone tell you otherwise). 

I am going to agree and disagree with you.

The half she is talking about is on July 29th - midsummer. You dont have alot of opportunities up here to get a race in until Mid to late June. Sure you can supersprint at the end of May in a pool, but you can't get an Oly around here until June which puts you 6 or 7 weeks out.

T1 = nadda/zilch zero

Its alllllllll about the run baby!!!

2011-12-21 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3949009

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ransick - 2011-12-21 7:48 PM

Guess what?  It's WEDNESDAY!  Who's racing a little Santa Dash? something else?  Spill the beans! (For you newbies, this question comes at you every week and gives you a chance to lay out your race details and strategy)

No racing here.  I will get some swim/bike/run in.  Having a bunch of family over for a relaxing Christmas hanging out, playing games and cooking.

can we talk Ken Hitchcock? He has turned that team around!!!

2011-12-21 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3949045

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-12-21 10:15 PM

hmmm.  i don't know.  i'm gonna suzy you here and ask..what does your plan say?  6/7 weeks out you should be in the thick of the heavy hours.  if it takes you 5 days to recover than the next weekend's long days are going to be affected.  consistency among workouts should be a priority.  anything that can negatively affect this consistency should be avoided.  as your base grows, as you gain an understanding of what your body can do and as you accumulate a bit of training and racing knowledge you'll better be able to kinda figure all this crap out. i sure have a long way to go,  but i'm father along than i was a few years ago.  its what makes this so f'ing cool.

so, i don't want to dissuade you from busting out the oly but i think the focus of the training program leading up to the first 70.3 should be just that, training.  i get where some folks say race experience is good but, to me, this only holds true if the 70.3 is your first race. in your case its not.   you've got experience.  you know what transitions are like and what coming out of T2 is like.  are you an expert...no but you've gone through the motions under race conditions.  clearly you're not as good as me at transitions but few if any are! you get the pre-race jitters (which ain't sh+t to the standing on the line of you're first half... do not let anyone tell you otherwise). 

The half she is talking about is on July 29th - midsummer. You dont have alot of opportunities up here to get a race in until Mid to late June. Sure you can supersprint at the end of May in a pool, but you can't get an Oly around here until June which puts you 6 or 7 weeks out.

T1 = nadda/zilch zero

help me out... what are you agreeing with and disagreeing with?

edit.. YES!!!!!  its all about the run.  couldn't agree more!!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-12-21 9:29 PM
2011-12-21 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3949056

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 8:28 PM

T1 = nadda/zilch zero

Agreeing in the sense that the focus should be all about the "A" race. Disagreeing somewhat because  you need to get in some races prior to the 'A". Are not alot of opportunities to get in a few OW tri's 6 or 8 weeks before.

2011-12-21 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3949046

User image

Master
St. Louis
TrevorC - 2011-12-21 9:16 PM
ransick - 2011-12-21 7:48 PM

can we talk Ken Hitchcock? He has turned that team around!!!

Yes, he has turned the team around.  When he came to town, the players upped the intensity at least 2X!  I haven't seen the Blues digging in the corners, paying attention to passes (and the next pass), and finishing checks for years.

2011-12-21 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3949086

User image

Champion
marietta
TrevorC - 2011-12-21 10:52 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 8:28 PM

T1 = nadda/zilch zero

Agreeing in the sense that the focus should be all about the "A" race. Disagreeing somewhat because  you need to get in some races prior to the 'A". Are not alot of opportunities to get in a few OW tri's 6 or 8 weeks before.

gotcha.

but the season is relative.   not sure i have a lot of opportunities to get in race before april as you may not before july.  of course i have the opportunity to get outside a whole lot more than you in the winter months.    i guess its just different schools of thought.  i never believed in the whole "A" race thing.   i'm on the fence about the need for all this pre-race to race stuff. 

incresting

2011-12-21 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
san francisco
I really like the thought of doing an oly 5-6 weeks out from HIM, good chance to get some OWS race experience for the lead into your HIM, work out the run after bike, nutrition etc. Have done this 3 years in a row and feel good about my learning experiences along the way...gives you things to focus on for the HIM...and personally, I like racing it at a pretty strong effort, just build recovery into the following week but don't shortchange the next weekend's long bike...Eta...couldn't pass up the incresting comment!

Edited by kt65 2011-12-21 11:09 PM

2011-12-21 11:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 7:12 AM

No racing here, just more miles.  Just got back from visiting my family.  My wife's family will start rolling in Friday and stay til the end of the year (providing that extra incentive to get out of the house and run).

2011-12-22 6:34 AM

User image

Expert
Noosa
No racing for me, just looking forward to finishing work tomorrow and finally getting some time off with the kids. I'm self employed and this year I've only taken 1 week off. Next year is going to be different!

I had a cool run tonight, half way along my barefoot beach run I came across a huge sea turtle laying her eggs up by the sand dunes, I knew they visited the beaches here but its cool to see them laying eggs!

2011-12-22 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3948987

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
ransick - 2011-12-21 9:32 PM
Mike_D - 2011-12-21 10:40 AM

2012 RACES:   Only signed up for 1 tri so far -- Cohasset, MA sprint.  

Hey, I'm signed up for that race too!  I'll be flying out there from St. Louis and renting or borrowing a bike.  My sister lives there and she signed me up.  How is the course?

Mike

I noticed that race sold out in 3 hrs.  Apparently that's one good race.  What's the draw?  Need to know if I should keep it in mind for '13.

Mike_D- nice to see someone in the area in the group.  Hope to see you at Patriot in June.

Welcome to all the newbies in the MG.

David- That is one cool thing to see on your run.  The only thing I got which is barely similar is running into a coyote while out for a run.  But the thing scared the bejeezes out of me.

Edited by mighty mom 2011-12-22 7:48 AM
2011-12-22 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 7:12 AM

Still no racing here.  First up is a New Year's 5k.

As for what I am doing;  Saturday we're bringing in a donation to our local animal shelter, baking gingerbreads for our Police and Fire departments, and then a party xmas eve.  Sunday; hopefully a lazy morning and then spend the afternoon with family.

2011-12-22 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3948987

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
ransick - 2011-12-21 9:32 PM
Mike_D - 2011-12-21 10:40 AM

2012 RACES:   Only signed up for 1 tri so far -- Cohasset, MA sprint.  

Hey, I'm signed up for that race too!  I'll be flying out there from St. Louis and renting or borrowing a bike.  My sister lives there and she signed me up.  How is the course?

Mike

Mike

The course is great. Incredibly scenic. Bike & run courses follow the rocky sea shore, as well as the harbor, some country roads. The bike course roads have all been repaved in the last year, so they're MUCH better than they were. I've lived in town for 15 years, and the roads are as good as I recall.  Having the start/finish & transition a mile from my house is great. Its a fun race, and this year actually sold out in less than an hour. Jarrod Shoemaker is always there, and wipes the field.

Who is your sister? Its not a big town - I may know her!

Mike

2011-12-22 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Injury Recovery Question ---  I've been resting/rehabbing a knee/leg injury since early November (sprained quad tendon), following orthopedic docs recommendations. He's green lighted me to start running, and I did go for a slow 5k run on Sunday. All was well. But here is my problem. I'm kind of freaked out about possibly reinjuring this. Every time I feel a twinge of anything in the knee, I think "oh, I need to rest more! I shouldn't do anything". I fear I'm just making myself insane, and the obvious solution is to continue to ease back into running (and biking) by taking it slow and rebuilding. YET -- my brain is on red alert. Is this just a mental exercise in going out and putting foot to road/pedal, and ignoring my overly cautious sense of self preservation? I felt fine after Sunday's run , and had no after affects the following days.
2011-12-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3949435

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Mike_D - 2011-12-22 9:39 AM Injury Recovery Question ---  I've been resting/rehabbing a knee/leg injury since early November (sprained quad tendon), following orthopedic docs recommendations. He's green lighted me to start running, and I did go for a slow 5k run on Sunday. All was well. But here is my problem. I'm kind of freaked out about possibly reinjuring this. Every time I feel a twinge of anything in the knee, I think "oh, I need to rest more! I shouldn't do anything". I fear I'm just making myself insane, and the obvious solution is to continue to ease back into running (and biking) by taking it slow and rebuilding. YET -- my brain is on red alert. Is this just a mental exercise in going out and putting foot to road/pedal, and ignoring my overly cautious sense of self preservation? I felt fine after Sunday's run , and had no after affects the following days.

I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV and didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.  So in my expert opinon most running injuries seem to stem from people doing too much, too hard, too soon.

If you did a nice easy 5k and it didn't hurt while running and especially not after the run you should be good so long as you don't ramp up too many miles or run too hard right away, ease into it, build up slowly to give you confidence.

Not sure what your running looks like now but I'd keep it light and easy for a week or two until you feel confident that your ready to add more miles.  No sense in doing all this recovery to just hurt it all over again and take even longer to heal. 

2011-12-22 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3949435

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Mike_D - 2011-12-22 8:39 AM Injury Recovery Question ---  I've been resting/rehabbing a knee/leg injury since early November (sprained quad tendon), following orthopedic docs recommendations. He's green lighted me to start running, and I did go for a slow 5k run on Sunday. All was well. But here is my problem. I'm kind of freaked out about possibly reinjuring this. Every time I feel a twinge of anything in the knee, I think "oh, I need to rest more! I shouldn't do anything". I fear I'm just making myself insane, and the obvious solution is to continue to ease back into running (and biking) by taking it slow and rebuilding. YET -- my brain is on red alert. Is this just a mental exercise in going out and putting foot to road/pedal, and ignoring my overly cautious sense of self preservation? I felt fine after Sunday's run , and had no after affects the following days.

I've been in your position.  After I rehabbed a 4th met stress fracture for 5 months I thought every niggle was an issue.  At the time my PT gave me this advice: if it's sore running, quit.  If it's a little sore afterwards that is "probably" ok.  If it is sore the next day, take two days off and then try again.

I've never heard of a quad sprain? which quad? are you talking tendonitis at the top of the knee (basically insertion point)?  What type of rehabbing did you do?  I'm a little suprised your doc gave you the green light to go run 3.1m versus some walk/run to ease into it (e.g. walk 3', run 3', up to 3.1m, etc.)

There is nothing wrong with being cautious and to me the best approach is shorter running mixed in with walking to strengthen it and the rest of the muscles that haven't been used in a while.

2011-12-22 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3949037

User image

Regular
TrevorC - 2011-12-21 8:11 PM

Do the chinook Oly on June16th. I've done it for the last 3 years. Its a great local Oly to start the year off. Some people go to Wasa at the start of June, but I like this one as its local.

You'll have it under your belt and then six or so more weeks to get ready for July 29th!

Yeah, Chinook is what I'm thinking.  I'd love to do wasa, but my kids are still in school, and I don't like to pull them for my racing.

As for the plan, it says to do an Oly 4 weeks out and a sprint 8 weeks out.  4 weeks out is Canada day, and the only race I can find then is another HIM.  

Thanks for all the great advice.  One piece that stuck is the point about the OWS though.  I've only done 2 races with OWS.  I freaked out in the first (though recovered) and was good (but over cautious) in the other.  I think I really need another OWS race before the HIM.  I do have an uncle that will take me swimming while spotting from his canoe, so I'll get some OWS experience, but swimming by myself isn't quite the same.

I'll make the final decision in the next few days.  Cheapest registration is before Jan 31, so I'll pull the trigger by then if I'm going to.

2011-12-22 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3948875

User image

Regular
Chicago
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 7:00 PM
baxt3r - 2011-12-21 5:54 PM
gdale - 2011-12-21 5:43 PM
doxie - 2011-12-21 1:33 PM
_Deb_ - 2011-12-21 11:37 AM

Name: Tracy  (I think we determined I’m the baby of the group at 36 – but please someone prove me wrong!

Uh oh.  That might make me the new baby of the group.  I'm 33, though turn 34 before the year end, which means I'll be 35 in triathlon years next season.  Triathlons age you!  

No racing for me right now.  I don't know if I'll do another race before St Patty's day.

As for trainer rides, I don't consider distance to mean anything.  I can crank down my resistance, and crank up my gears.  My garmin will say I'm going faster, but I could be working at exactly the same level.  It might mean more on a fluid trainer?  Mine is a magnetic one though.

Sound the alarm! I'm the baby at 29. What's my prize?

You get to be the primary target of fatty's love and affection for the next 4 months!

I don't know about that.  He already jumped on me pretty good because of my soon-to-be-former unhealthy habit.  But he's right.   Wink

never met either of you.  but i gotta think she's hotter.  but after a few beers i won't turn down a reach around.  so its all good.

awesome job getting out on that run in the rain.   

oh, wait.....did I say 29? I really meant 39. Must have indulged in too many holiday spirits.

2011-12-22 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3949548

User image

Extreme Veteran
doxie - 2011-12-22 10:29 AM
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 7:00 PM
baxt3r - 2011-12-21 5:54 PM
gdale - 2011-12-21 5:43 PM
doxie - 2011-12-21 1:33 PM

Sound the alarm! I'm the baby at 29. What's my prize?

You get to be the primary target of fatty's love and affection for the next 4 months!

I don't know about that.  He already jumped on me pretty good because of my soon-to-be-former unhealthy habit.  But he's right.   Wink

never met either of you.  but i gotta think she's hotter.  but after a few beers i won't turn down a reach around.  so its all good.

awesome job getting out on that run in the rain.   

oh, wait.....did I say 29? I really meant 39. Must have indulged in too many holiday spirits.

If you changed your announced age to prevent Fatty [John] from hitting on you, it is a lost cause.  He'll hit on you whether you are 19 or 59.

2011-12-22 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3949506

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
_Deb_ - 2011-12-22 9:12 AM

Yeah, Chinook is what I'm thinking.  I'd love to do wasa, but my kids are still in school, and I don't like to pull them for my racing.

As for the plan, it says to do an Oly 4 weeks out and a sprint 8 weeks out.  4 weeks out is Canada day, and the only race I can find then is another HIM.  

Thanks for all the great advice.  One piece that stuck is the point about the OWS though.  I've only done 2 races with OWS.  I freaked out in the first (though recovered) and was good (but over cautious) in the other.  I think I really need another OWS race before the HIM.  I do have an uncle that will take me swimming while spotting from his canoe, so I'll get some OWS experience, but swimming by myself isn't quite the same.

I'll make the final decision in the next few days.  Cheapest registration is before Jan 31, so I'll pull the trigger by then if I'm going to.

I'm super late to the party but what's new.  I think all points have been valid but I come from the side of scaredy cat in OW.  If you will feel better at your HIM mentally having gotten in the water and had practice race beforehand I think you should.  4 weeks is plenty of time to recover from the OLY and use that race as a training day.

2011-12-22 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3949465

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
SSMinnow - 2011-12-22 9:55 AM

Mike_D - 2011-12-22 8:39 AM Injury Recovery Question ---  I've been resting/rehabbing a knee/leg injury since early November (sprained quad tendon), following orthopedic docs recommendations. He's green lighted me to start running, and I did go for a slow 5k run on Sunday. All was well. But here is my problem. I'm kind of freaked out about possibly reinjuring this. Every time I feel a twinge of anything in the knee, I think "oh, I need to rest more! I shouldn't do anything". I fear I'm just making myself insane, and the obvious solution is to continue to ease back into running (and biking) by taking it slow and rebuilding. YET -- my brain is on red alert. Is this just a mental exercise in going out and putting foot to road/pedal, and ignoring my overly cautious sense of self preservation? I felt fine after Sunday's run , and had no after affects the following days.

I've been in your position.  After I rehabbed a 4th met stress fracture for 5 months I thought every niggle was an issue.  At the time my PT gave me this advice: if it's sore running, quit.  If it's a little sore afterwards that is "probably" ok.  If it is sore the next day, take two days off and then try again.

I've never heard of a quad sprain? which quad? are you talking tendonitis at the top of the knee (basically insertion point)?  What type of rehabbing did you do?  I'm a little suprised your doc gave you the green light to go run 3.1m versus some walk/run to ease into it (e.g. walk 3', run 3', up to 3.1m, etc.)

There is nothing wrong with being cautious and to me the best approach is shorter running mixed in with walking to strengthen it and the rest of the muscles that haven't been used in a while.

Thanks! The diagnosis was tendonitis/bursitis/and some cartilege inflamation. rehab was rest, anitinflamatories, ice, and more rest. The 3.1 distance was my idea, but it was a run/walk, not a straight run.  thanks for confirming the low & slow approach. My big paranoia is blowing up 2012 by having this resurface. I'll be out there tomorrow giving it another test.

2011-12-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3949506

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
_Deb_ - 2011-12-22 8:12 AM

I think there is a tri in Turner Valley on Canada Day. But, it would be a pool swim. No one wants to do any Oly in a Pool. 60 lengths of a 25m pool is not fun.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117