BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4566775

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
drfoodlove - 2013-01-07 5:22 PM

Hey All!  Looks like lots of great workouts going on today (and yesterday)!  Congrats and keep it up!

I got in 48 minutes of intervals on the bike and 850yds in the pool this afternoon.  I sure will be glad when the gym opens back up with regular hours next week when the students return.  This morning girl needs to get up and at 'em!

Two questions occurred to me today...perhaps someone can help.

1.)  Is a brick workout only when you bike then run, or is it any two disciplines back to back? 

2.) When I swim crawl (and only crawl) I get cramps in my left (and only left) foot.  If I stop and stretch it out a little against the wall, it feels better for a few laps, then cramps up again.  I can also make it go away by pulling my toes up toward my knee, but then my form just goes to pot.  Has anyone had this problem before?  If so, how did you fix the problem? 

Thanks!!

Gretchen

Good questions, Gretchen!

A brick can be a swim to bike or a bike to run.  In general, its the bike to run.  One of the guys I swim with has done IMFL about 10 times.  He finishes his swim workout and takes a slow lap to jog  around the pool to get used to being upright like a transition run.   Any two triathlon disciplines worked in close proximity is a brick to me.  Others may not think this.....

Foot cramping when swimming can be caused by hydration (or lack thereof) and/ or body position.  When I have foot cramps my coach tells me that my head position is too low and the rotation to breathe is thus thrown off with my body position.  Do you have anyone with a good swim background to watch your swim?

2013-01-07 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

I used to get lots of foot cramps when I was starting out swimming.  It was worse if I'd run or biked over to the pool before swimming.  My solution was to grab a pull buoy (the foam block you stick between your legs) and finish the workout without kicking. Sealed

The cramps went away with increased swim fitness, in my case.  I bet I'll be getting them again though, since it's been a long time since I last swam.

I know the pull buoy is a no-no, but hey if it gets you through the set...  plus, it sort of simulates swimming with a wetsuit on, so it's not THAT bad to use, right?

2013-01-07 8:00 PM
in reply to: #4567015

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-07 8:29 PM

I used to get lots of foot cramps when I was starting out swimming.  It was worse if I'd run or biked over to the pool before swimming.  My solution was to grab a pull buoy (the foam block you stick between your legs) and finish the workout without kicking. Sealed

The cramps went away with increased swim fitness, in my case.  I bet I'll be getting them again though, since it's been a long time since I last swam.

I know the pull buoy is a no-no, but hey if it gets you through the set...  plus, it sort of simulates swimming with a wetsuit on, so it's not THAT bad to use, right?

[/QUOTEPull buoys are fine for working the mechanics of the pull in a drill set.  I use various "pool toys" depending on the workout my coach puts up all the time.  On race day it wouldn't be allowed.......but to practice?  sure, use it as indicated.
2013-01-07 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4566775

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
drfoodlove - 2013-01-07 4:22 PM

Hey All!  Looks like lots of great workouts going on today (and yesterday)!  Congrats and keep it up!

I got in 48 minutes of intervals on the bike and 850yds in the pool this afternoon.  I sure will be glad when the gym opens back up with regular hours next week when the students return.  This morning girl needs to get up and at 'em!

Two questions occurred to me today...perhaps someone can help.

1.)  Is a brick workout only when you bike then run, or is it any two disciplines back to back? 

2.) When I swim crawl (and only crawl) I get cramps in my left (and only left) foot.  If I stop and stretch it out a little against the wall, it feels better for a few laps, then cramps up again.  I can also make it go away by pulling my toes up toward my knee, but then my form just goes to pot.  Has anyone had this problem before?  If so, how did you fix the problem? 

Thanks!!

Gretchen

I'm no expert, but from my POV, a brick can be a swim followed by a bike or a bike followed by a run.  As I get closer to my A races, I occasionally do a bike-run-bike-run workout, but it is pretty rare.  I do feel there is some benefit to doing those swim bike bricks  so you get your legs used to pedaling after being horizontal for so long.

I think some people get foot cramps from pointing their toes too hard.

2013-01-08 5:57 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
A couple of folks have mentioned that they are bummed by their gym hours because the students aren't back yet...do we have some university folks here?

I'm a prof, but to be honest, I won't work out at the FREE university gym which is flippin' amazing, because I'm too embarrassed. Even when I'm in my best shape and rockin' my training, I don't like to work out in front of people who are part of my professional life (be students or other profs). Sure, there are plenty of people at the Y that I know - neighbors, fellow soccer/dance moms, etc. - but I don't find that as concerning as work people. Weird?
2013-01-08 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4567450

User image

Master
Orlando
enders_shadow - 2013-01-08 5:57 AMA couple of folks have mentioned that they are bummed by their gym hours because the students aren't back yet...do we have some university folks here?I'm a prof, but to be honest, I won't work out at the FREE university gym which is flippin' amazing, because I'm too embarrassed. Even when I'm in my best shape and rockin' my training, I don't like to work out in front of people who are part of my professional life (be students or other profs). Sure, there are plenty of people at the Y that I know - neighbors, fellow soccer/dance moms, etc. - but I don't find that as concerning as work people. Weird?
I'm an attorney for a law enforcement agency. We have a great gym, including spin classes, yoga etc. one of the other attorneys I work with refuses to use it for that same reason - she doesn't want people she works with to see her in workout gear etc. I, on the other hand, have no such hang ups and workout there whenever I feel like it. I have not noticed any negative result. In fact, the opposite is true, I get to know people a lot better!

2013-01-08 7:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
enders_shadow - 2013-01-08 5:57 AMA couple of folks have mentioned that they are bummed by their gym hours because the students aren't back yet...do we have some university folks here?I'm a prof, but to be honest, I won't work out at the FREE university gym which is flippin' amazing, because I'm too embarrassed. Even when I'm in my best shape and rockin' my training, I don't like to work out in front of people who are part of my professional life (be students or other profs). Sure, there are plenty of people at the Y that I know - neighbors, fellow soccer/dance moms, etc. - but I don't find that as concerning as work people. Weird?
I'm a prof too (Forensic Anthropology). Honestly, I wouldn't work out at the student rec center (which isn't free!), but it is the only place in town that has a year round swimming pool. I started exercising with swimming and oly added bike and run in recently, so it was either the SRC or nothing. Really, it isn't too bad. I go at 5:30-6am and there are virtually no students around. My old uni had a faculty locker room, which I really liked the thought of (I wasn't faculty at the time). That is really the only thing I don't necessarily like is seeing one of my students naked or vice versa...call me old fashioned! What is your research/teaching interest?
2013-01-08 8:11 AM
in reply to: #4567553

User image

Champion
drfoodlove - 2013-01-08 8:41 AM

What is your research/teaching interest?

Law prof. And our center even has a faculty locker room. I'm so pathetic. (Although, to be fair, the Y is across the street from my house - campus is 15 minutes away...)
2013-01-08 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

enders_shadow - 2013-01-08 5:57 AM A couple of folks have mentioned that they are bummed by their gym hours because the students aren't back yet...do we have some university folks here? I'm a prof, but to be honest, I won't work out at the FREE university gym which is flippin' amazing, because I'm too embarrassed. Even when I'm in my best shape and rockin' my training, I don't like to work out in front of people who are part of my professional life (be students or other profs). Sure, there are plenty of people at the Y that I know - neighbors, fellow soccer/dance moms, etc. - but I don't find that as concerning as work people. Weird?

I'm an Intercollegiate Athletics Administrator.  I do some guest lecturing and my dad is a prof.  Does that count?

2013-01-08 11:06 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You know the day is not going to go well when it takes 15 minutes to scrape ice off the car, you stop for gas and what should be a 5 minute stop is another 15 minutes cause the reader in the machine won't accept your PIN number.....and you get to the pool to find another IM set on the board.  I did my own thing......Found out my coach is leaving us at the end of the month.  Not sure if the gym will have someone take over the class or not.  Hard to find a real swim instructor.  Last time there was a vacancy they put a kid in who just put the workouts he was given on the board but had no clue what the workouts meant!  

Sure wish I was at the GRAP (aquatic center in Richmond), but my husband will never go for both an aquatic center and gym fee.....

2013-01-08 11:06 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You know the day is not going to go well when it takes 15 minutes to scrape ice off the car, you stop for gas and what should be a 5 minute stop is another 15 minutes cause the reader in the machine won't accept your PIN number.....and you get to the pool to find another IM set on the board.  I did my own thing......Found out my coach is leaving us at the end of the month.  Not sure if the gym will have someone take over the class or not.  Hard to find a real swim instructor.  Last time there was a vacancy they put a kid in who just put the workouts he was given on the board but had no clue what the workouts meant!  

Sure wish I was at the GRAP (aquatic center in Richmond), but my husband will never go for both an aquatic center and gym fee.....

2013-01-08 11:38 AM

User image

Expert

I'm not a prof, but I do swim at a school pool.  The local Junior College is less than 5 miles away, and has a sweet outdoor 25y x 50m pool.  Technically I'm a college student I guess, as I register for a swimming class to get access to the pool. Smile  It's listed in the course catalog as a 'stroke improvement' class, but it's essentially just open lap swim for the 1 1/2 hour of the class.  Cool thing though is the instructor is the head coach for the local 'fast' age group swim team (he had a previous swimmer in the olympics this summer, that was cool to watch) and he's happy to come over and give some tips when asked.  Pool opens up next week, I admit I'm actually a bit excited about it!

2013-01-08 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Lunch time fun - I went to Performance and got hubby cycling clothes! For Christmas/birthday, he got a bike. He took it out a few times but didn't have the right clothes (nor the inclination to ride in 50 degree weather) - but this weekend is supposed to be in the 70s, so I'm hoping we can go for a little ride together. I'm so excited - he's not the competitive sort and I'm not the type to be pushed beyond my limits, so we should have a nice ride!

On deck for me later - short run, per plan.
2013-01-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4568103

User image

Champion

enders_shadow - 2013-01-08 11:41 AM Lunch time fun - I went to Performance and got hubby cycling clothes! For Christmas/birthday, he got a bike. He took it out a few times but didn't have the right clothes (nor the inclination to ride in 50 degree weather) - but this weekend is supposed to be in the 70s, so I'm hoping we can go for a little ride together. I'm so excited - he's not the competitive sort and I'm not the type to be pushed beyond my limits, so we should have a nice ride! On deck for me later - short run, per plan.

I'm jealous!  And not only of your 70F weather.  I would love to have Paul want to ride with me.  We used to until I picked up this crazy sport and now he has the notion that I would dust him or he would hold me back.  Neither is true.  Well, I could dust him Laughing, but I wouldn't. 

2013-01-08 1:59 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Fantastically beautiful weather here today!!  About 50F and sunny--it isn't 70, but at least is isn't 22 like it was this morning when I was supposed to run!

I got my long run of the week in at lunch--a slow 2.67 miles around the neighborhood. 

Hope you are all having great days!

2013-01-08 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4568347

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2013-01-08 2:27 PM

I'm jealous!  

Actually, I'm jealous - he's tall (6'4") and a Clydesdale ...we went into the LBS and they happened to have a nice mid-level used Trek that we got for a steal because it was an xtra-tall setup and they weren't going to be able to resell it as easily. It weighs about 1/2 what my bike weighs!

I'm not sure whether I could dust him or not - I think I can drag my sorry self up the hills faster than him, just because I know them better and I'm used to where I shift.

2013-01-08 2:27 PM

User image

Expert

I'm impatiently waiting for the dryer to finish so I can go for a run!  I'd forgotten how much laundry working out every day requires. Surprised

I finally got a new battery for my heart rate monitor strap, so I'll start using that again.  My goal is to stay in z2 (for me, I'll try to keep it around 135bpm) all the time.  Is anyone else using heart rate for training pacing? 

2013-01-08 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4568496

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-08 2:27 PM

I'm impatiently waiting for the dryer to finish so I can go for a run!  I'd forgotten how much laundry working out every day requires. Surprised

Here is what my wife said to me the other day (she does all the laundry)...

"Let me get this straight...you are working out and creating three times the laundry for me AND you are going to be around longer to keep creating all this laundry as a result???  What's in this tri thing for me?" Tongue out

My answer?  Something shiny.

She did get her revenge by putting ALL of our bath towels in the washer before heading out this morning, so after my lunchtime workout I got to use a hand towel to dry off!  Good times!

2013-01-08 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4568496

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
norcal_SAHD - 2013-01-08 2:27 PM

I finally got a new battery for my heart rate monitor strap, so I'll start using that again.  My goal is to stay in z2 (for me, I'll try to keep it around 135bpm) all the time.  Is anyone else using heart rate for training pacing? 

I am!  My z2 is in the 150s.  What method are you using to determine HRs?  

I had a nice easy half hour run today with some weights afterward.  Tough day as I stayed up late watching the football game and then was up early today.  Another early morning tomorrow as I head to Florida for work, but looking forward to logging some miles in warm weather.

2013-01-08 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

I do HR training -- sort of--- I've learned when I most effective on my run and at what HR.   I use the HR Monitor that's part of my Garmin 305.

I'm still figiting with how to determine best my zones, particularly on the bike.

2013-01-08 7:54 PM

User image

Champion
I train by both HR and sometimes pace for my runs.  I usually have an LT test done by my coach a couple of times a year, but in between I do a 30' track test to determine my LT pace and HR which leads to zones.  BT has some good information on how to do this and then populate your zones.

2013-01-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4568990

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

SSMinnow - 2013-01-08 8:54 PM I train by both HR and sometimes pace for my runs.  I usually have an LT test done by my coach a couple of times a year, but in between I do a 30' track test to determine my LT pace and HR which leads to zones.  BT has some good information on how to do this and then populate your zones.

Thank you Suzy, I wanted to respond to that and didn't have a chance to look up a reference.

2013-01-08 11:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I use HR for my long runs. I use the maffetone method, which I think really improved my running endurance last year. For the track sessions we use the jack Daniels method which involves doing a time trial and then using the result of that to determine paces. Although the two work differently I've found they complement each other well.

On the bike I use HR on the turbo a lot, but it doesn't work very well outdoors because its really hilly where I live. It's impossible to keep any kind of consistent heart rate so I just try to go off RPE instead.

My training's been a bit messy this week. I had intended to do a turbo session on Monday, but then a friend asked me to meet her at the last minute. Then I had planned a swim on Tuesday, but the friend I was going to go with was in a car accident (noone was hurt but she had her 4 month old in the car so was understandably upset) so I just spent some time with her instead. I picked up the turbo session in the evening instead.

I'm still on target for my 6 sessions this week, and I know that a time will come when I need to really prioritise training. However, if I reach that stage too soon before the race I'm just going to burn out before I get there. At the moment I'm being pretty flexible and it seems to be working out. I'm also on night shifts this week, which complicates things somewhat (finding pool time when the lanes aren't full of students or swim clubs is tricky).
2013-01-09 12:04 AM

User image

Expert

Long winded heart rate stuff to follow...

I started from the couch in 2009, and after a few months of just randomly running I did some reading around here on heart rate training and bought a watch with a HR monitor (Garmin 305).  Here is a good article on some of the different ways to determine your target HR.  I decided to use the Friel method by doing an LT test, and in January of 2010 I did the field test.  That test really sucks, btw!  It's a 30 minute time trial, an all out effort over 30 minutes.  Hard.  Not fun to me at all.  I did it once, and would rather never do it again.  Anyway, the results of that test gave me a lactate threshold number of 163 bpm (that was the HR I averaged over the final 20 minutes of the time trial).  I plugged that number into the BT HR zone calculator and this is what it spit out: 

View HR Zone
Run

2010-01-05 

HR/Pace labelRange data labelCumulative Time in zone
1 - Recovery108 - 138 
2 - Extensive Endurance139 - 148 
3 - Intensive Endurance149 - 155 
4 - Sub-Threshold156 - 162 
5a - SuperThreshold163 - 166 
5b - Anaerobic Endurance167 - 172 
5c - Power173 - 180 

Comments about this HR Zone:

So I ran almost exclusively in Z2, at around 145 bpm.  I just looked back in my logs to Jan of 2011, which was about the peak of my running.  I ran 100 miles that month, and in that timeframe I was averaging about a 10:00 minute miles at 145ish bpm.  

Now lately I've been reading a lot about the Maffetone method of running, and he has a very simple formula to set your target HR when running.  The theory is the same, do all of your running at a low HR and your body will get faster even without speedwork.  The difference is the formula, which is 180-age.  Then you add or subtract a few points depending on your condition.  So... for me it would be 180-42=138.  Then -5 for being out of shape = 133.  According to the MAF method, this should be my target.  That's what I've decided to try this time around, as my number one absolute priority is to not get hurt.  In an effort to run a lot, and not get hurt, I'm going to be running 6x/week at a very easy pace.

So... I put on the HR monitor today and headed out for a run hoping to keep my HR under 135.   Total failure.  There was no way to keep my HR that low.  I was able to keep it down to around 145, but the overall pace for the run ended up at 12:30 minute/mile!!  I had to walk at every incline to keep my HR down.  I finished the run at a final average of 147bpm, and if felt WAY easier than I recall 147bpm feeling long ago, so my HR to RPE (rate of perceived exertion) is off at the moment I guess.  Last week I was just running on RPE with no monitor, I'd guess I was up around 155bpm without realizing it (higher than I want to be).

So, 2 years ago I was running 10:00 minute miles at 147bpm.  Today I ran 12:30 minute miles at 147 bpm.  Lesson is, DON'T TAKE A YEAR OFF!!!

anyway, that's the long version of how I came up with my 135bpm target.  And why I'm now moving it back up to 145bpm. Smile  I have not done any LT testing for the bike, quite frankly I can push as hard as my legs allow and my HR doesn't generally get over 140 at the most.  Usually on the rollers I slip below 125 if I'm not paying attention, so I don't think it's an issue to worry about yet.  I just ride as hard as I can sustain, and my HR is plenty low to stay in an endurance zone.

OK, it's 10pm, and I'm off to ride the rollers!  see ya in the morning.

edit: sorry about the table, not sure why it ended up so wide!

Edited by norcal_SAHD 2013-01-09 12:25 AM
2013-01-09 5:58 AM

User image

Champion
Thanks for the HR stuff, everyone - I was pretty on top of my zones (and training in them) back in 2007-2008, but have fallen out of it during my "comeback"...I should probably get back with it - it was good for my running and my weight.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64