Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-25 12:59 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by switch

Originally post

ed by Asalzwed

Originally posted by brigby1
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by msteiner

Oh, OK.  What didn't work for you about it?  Obviously, I don't know anything about it

But I also enjoyed your Dr. Phil pic

Here is a quick post by the man himself about it:

http://philmaffetone.com/180-formula

Going by his method, the highest my HR would get up to would be 157.  The problem with that is I would have to log A LOT more mileage to see similar gain than a program where I can incorporate speedwork.  I could never do a track workout using his philosophy.

I actually use HR when I train on the bike, but I'm not a fan of using it on the run, because far too many things affect your HR.  

Another thing that I don't like about his concept is that his calculation is based off a generic formula.  You do no testing to determine this heart rate, and your fitness doesn't move that number.

I perform way better using JD's pacing based on your actual race performance.  With that said Mark Allen trained under Phil Maffetone's method, and the results of that speaks for itself. 

Yeah man, I accidently had the Weeknd on my running playlist one time, talk about things affecting your HR Wink

I agree with just using JD's pacing based on actual race performance. Also, on a personal note, I just like the simplicty. It seems like there are a ton more variables with heart rate and it's just ... clunky. The idea of a HRM and the testing and the re-testing...

Well, there is very little testing needed for HR. Outside of some initial increase for an inactive person the information (eg. zones) will be relevant for a rather long time. Likely on the order of years. There is no need to test/retest any more often than you would using a pace. Not liking the extra gear or the delayed effect of HR, that's another matter. Smile

Interesting. Years? I did not know that.

But all my other comments are totally personal and I can definitely see why people would use HR as a tool. Especially people who need a little more discipline to keep them within certain ranges.

Yo, you talkin' to me?  

I'm actually kinda looking forward to doing a training block focused on pace, and not watching my HR.  I can tell you one thing, the heat jacks that HR right up there, and I've also noticed that when my swim is my first workout of the day and running is second my running HR is jacked.  Doesn't happen with the biking as much.  Is that weird?

Smile "people"

Very interesting about your double day HR variations!

2013-09-25 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Yo, you talkin' to me?  

I'm actually kinda looking forward to doing a training block focused on pace, and not watching my HR.  I can tell you one thing, the heat jacks that HR right up there, and I've also noticed that when my swim is my first workout of the day and running is second my running HR is jacked.  Doesn't happen with the biking as much.  Is that weird?

That's another thing.  I train in the south where we still are seeing highs of 88-90.  At least it's not 100 anymore.

2013-09-25 2:29 PM
in reply to: wgraves7582

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally

posted by wgraves7582

Oh, OK.  What didn't work for you about it?  Obviously, I don't know anything about it

Going by his method, the highest my HR would get up to would be 157.  The problem with that is I would have to log A LOT more mileage to see similar gain than a program where I can incorporate speedwork.  I could never do a track workout using his philosophy.

I actually use HR when I train on the bike, but I'm not a fan of using it on the run, because far too many things affect your HR.  

Another thing that I don't like about his concept is that his calculation is based off a generic formula.  You do no testing to determine this heart rate, and your fitness doesn't move that number.

I perform way better using JD's pacing based on your actual race performance.  With that said Mark Allen trained under Phil Maffetone's method, and the results of that speaks for itself. 

I see your point but his point is that if most people did the majority of their running at a lower heart run they would not be injured as often and their "speed" would actually increase because their speed would increase at the h/r level this is based on. I can see his point for training but did not read enough into to see if he says the same thing about racing - do you never go above your target h/r in races as well. My case point is that last winter (2011-2012) I ran steadily 6 days a week at 10 min miles. After 3 months I did a 5K TT and ran a 23:23. Now my H/R was nowhere near the level he suggests it be at during the TT but I was able to drop 2 1/2 minutes off my training speed during this TT. I don't use a H/R monitor regularly enough to know how fast I can go keeping under a certain H/R but maybe I will check it out to see where it falls - mine would be 133 (ETA: would be 138 because I get plus 5 for more than 2 years) btw and that is pretty low (I imagine that is going to keep me at my 10 min mile pace based on past H/R measurements). I still like JD's program better but I see his point - I just don't agree with the 180- (just like your point msteiner!)

Yes, you can go over racing...like you said he believes the slower training = less injuries = more consistent running = greater aerobic base, which eventually translates to performance increases.  FWIW, my field tested (using TrainerRoad, not lab) LTHR was spot-on with Dr. Phil's MAF for cycling. 

OK, enough about the hippie granola dude, but I think the point to take away here is that we are all experiments of one and sometimes we have to experiment often to find out what works for us.

2013-09-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yo, you talkin' to me?  

That's another thing.  I train in the south where we still are seeing highs of 88-90.  At least it's not 100 anymore.

I hear ya...two weeks ago I did hill repeats in 96 degree heat.  My HR was cah-razie high.

2013-09-25 5:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Oh yeah, and just a reminder to be sure everyone has moved onto Part II. 

Oh, what's next Michael, are you going to make dancing illegal? Wink

2013-09-25 5:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Yeah man, I accidently had the Weeknd on my running playlist one time, talk about things affecting your HR Wink

I agree with just using JD's pacing based on actual race performance. Also, on a personal note, I just like the simplicty. It seems like there are a ton more variables with heart rate and it's just ... clunky. The idea of a HRM and the testing and the re-testing...

Well, there is very little testing needed for HR. Outside of some initial increase for an inactive person the information (eg. zones) will be relevant for a rather long time. Likely on the order of years. There is no need to test/retest any more often than you would using a pace. Not liking the extra gear or the delayed effect of HR, that's another matter. Smile

Interesting. Years? I did not know that.

But all my other comments are totally personal and I can definitely see why people would use HR as a tool. Especially people who need a little more discipline to keep them within certain ranges.

It's not a bad idea to check more often then that, but it's entirely normal for things to stay flat there for quite awhile. Kind of a rough guide is that it might slowly come down sorta similar to where age starts to have an effect on your performance.

And I totally get someone not wanting to use all that or not liking it. Very personal.

2013-09-25 7:58 PM
in reply to: wgraves7582

I actually tried the PM theory last year after I missed 8 weeks from meningitis. I figured it would be a good way to make sure I didn't push too hard coming back. I have to say that it if definitely worked. I have a 0.6 mile loop by my house that I would run. When I first started it would take me 7:45 to do that and keep the HR in the range. I was doing the same loop in 4:10 up until a month ago when I had plantar fasciitis flare up.
That being said I am excited to apply the JD formula for this next season. It seems to apply training methods for zones that I never really had direction on how to train correctly. I'm hoping to break my 5k and 10k PRs along with more strength for tri season.

Dave
2013-09-27 10:48 AM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I incorporated the JD pacing recommendations into my running this week.  I'm going with a VDOT of 41 for now, though I think once I race my 5K in two weeks I'll be upping that a bit.  Since I'm only running 15mpw right now, I'm keeping the speed work a little under recommendation. 

I did two short "E" sessions for frequency purposes, and ran them a little slower than what my designated "E" pace should be.  I then had two Q sessions:

Q1:  "T" run of about 9' (out of 35' total time)
Q2:  "I" session (3 x 4' @ 10K pace with a 5% grade, which equates to about 7:10 grade-adjusted pace according to Strava; recoveries were around 6' (would've kept them shorter, but my course dictated it)

I'll add another E run Saturday to get my mileage around 15-16. 

First thought is that it works.  Now, maybe there's some placebo effect going on here, but I got through both of my Q workouts without my legs being cooked.  My normal mistake is to run intervals and tempo runs too fast so I really had to concentrate to keep the pace down.

2013-09-27 2:22 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
2013-09-27 2:24 PM

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I incorporated the JD pacing recommendations into my running this week.  I'm going with a VDOT of 41 for now, though I think once I race my 5K in two weeks I'll be upping that a bit.  Since I'm only running 15mpw right now, I'm keeping the speed work a little under recommendation. 

I did two short "E" sessions for frequency purposes, and ran them a little slower than what my designated "E" pace should be.  I then had two Q sessions:

Q1:  "T" run of about 9' (out of 35' total time)
Q2:  "I" session (3 x 4' @ 10K pace with a 5% grade, which equates to about 7:10 grade-adjusted pace according to Strava; recoveries were around 6' (would've kept them shorter, but my course dictated it)

I'll add another E run Saturday to get my mileage around 15-16. 

First thought is that it works.  Now, maybe there's some placebo effect going on here, but I got through both of my Q workouts without my legs being cooked.  My normal mistake is to run intervals and tempo runs too fast so I really had to concentrate to keep the pace down.

That's great, and doing fast runs too fast seems to be a pretty common thing.

I do think it takes approximately what? 10 Days for actual adaptations to be made from training? But your legs not feeling totally dead at the end is a good sign! 

2013-09-27 2:24 PM

User image

Seattle

PSA:   VDOT pace tables all on one page:

http://sdtrackmag.com/DanielsOneSheet.pdf

Ahhh thanks!!!!

2013-09-27 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
"Possibly the biggest challenge in doing tempo runs is to hold the proper pace and resist turning your tempo run into a time trial. Remember that the proper pace is more beneficial than a faster (or slower) one. This is a good workout for practicing your ability to concentrate on a running task and keep in touch with how your body feels while running comfortably hard."

Daniels, Jack (2012-04-18). Daniels' Running Formula, Second Edition (Kindle Locations 2691-2693). Human Kinetics. Kindle Edition.

Was he pointing at me when he wrote this?  Innocent  And Strava is no help, either, with Segment KOM Obsession Disorder.  I'm trying...
2013-09-27 2:38 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 "Possibly the biggest challenge in doing tempo runs is to hold the proper pace and resist turning your tempo run into a time trial. Remember that the proper pace is more beneficial than a faster (or slower) one. This is a good workout for practicing your ability to concentrate on a running task and keep in touch with how your body feels while running comfortably hard."

Daniels, Jack (2012-04-18). Daniels' Running Formula, Second Edition (Kindle Locations 2691-2693). Human Kinetics. Kindle Edition.

Was he pointing at me when he wrote this?  Innocent  And Strava is no help, either, with Segment KOM Obsession Disorder.  I'm trying...

Well, you, Elesa ... cough cough, a few others Laughing

2013-09-27 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ahhh thanks!!!!

He only goes every other VDOT up to 45, but I think it's safe to say you're above that.  Laughing

2013-09-27 2:51 PM

User image

Seattle

Ahhh thanks!!!!

He only goes every other VDOT up to 45, but I think it's safe to say you're above that.  Laughing

Even if I wasn't, I would have Matt extrapolate it! Smile

2013-09-27 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ahhh thanks!!!!

Great! Another woman that wants to use me!

2013-09-27 4:22 PM

User image

Seattle

Ahhh thanks!!!!

Ahhh just the fallout of being really, really, ridiculously good looking is all! 

2013-09-27 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ahhh thanks!!!!

Ahhh just the fallout of being really, really, ridiculously good looking is all! 

You haven't even seen my "blue steel" pose yet!

2013-09-27 4:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Ahhh thanks!!!!

More important, can you turn left?

2013-09-27 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ahhh thanks!!!!

More important, can you turn left?

I am an ambi-turner!

2013-09-27 9:34 PM

Master
Northern IL
Still trying to get a better idea on what Daniels is saying the benefits are for M-pace training, particularly for outside of marathon training. Chapter 5 I think? For now, sounds like I should just equate it to Z3 training for the bike and see what he says in later parts, maybe coming back to this then. I didn't get much more than it's probably good for to do every once in awhile.

2013-09-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Still trying to get a better idea on what Daniels is saying the benefits are for M-pace training (80-90% maxHR),
particularly for outside of marathon training. Chapter 5 I think? For now, sounds like I should just equate it to Z3
training for the bike and see what he says in later parts, maybe coming back to this then. I didn't get much more
than it's probably good for to do every once in awhile.

Ben,
My view is that the MP run, which should be longer and somewhat slower than a T run, lets the runner practice
holding race pace for longer races-like 20K and the marathon. This 'subtempo' run is a higher quality session than
an easy run and therefore will have added benefit as a slightly higher quality session and require less recovery.

Tempo runs shouldn't be more than 15-20 minutes, but MP runs can be 1-2 hours, so although they are slightly slower,
they are significantly longer. I'd equate these to long bike rides simulating race pace for IM or even 1/2IM bikes. This
must help economy at the higher pace by repetition-the law of specificity. It probably helps neuromuscular training a bit
also.

I do not use Coggan Power Zones, but it seems to me that it would be an upper Z3 effort. Z3 is 84-94% of LT
(based on FTP) not v02max or maxHR, right? So, it is definitely sub tempo effort, after all, LT is usually about 90% of
your max HR.

Wouldn't you think this is close to 'sweet spot' training?

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-28 7:48 AM
2013-09-28 10:06 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle
I've never thought of M pace that way. Very interesting! Often people tend to say that you are "getting the feel" for running at M but I've never liked that answer. Thank you for this.
2013-09-28 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never thought of M pace that way. Very interesting! Often people tend to say that you are "getting the feel" for running at M but I've never liked that answer. Thank you for this.

Agreed.  This was really helpful.

I'm back at JD, gang.  Had to take a break because of a crazy work deadline.  I have my life back now.

Where's Steve?  He's MIA...

2013-09-28 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Asalzwed I've never thought of M pace that way. Very interesting! Often people tend to say that you are "getting the feel" for running at M but I've never liked that answer. Thank you for this.

Agreed.  This was really helpful.

I'm back at JD, gang.  Had to take a break because of a crazy work deadline.  I have my life back now.

Where's Steve?  He's MIA...

Out of town for a few days.  I'm doing my long run today at M pace but because my M pace is so slow it actually is an exercise in discipline to take it down a notch.  I have a marathon next weekend and this is kind of a 13-15 mile simulation.

Is your ankle/AT any better?  I went through AT for three years before getting past it.  I just could not take it easy and I kept aggravating it.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1885 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1726 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.