BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Confession time!

I gave Tom a really hard time about double booking himself.  I said something about using a newfangled device called a calendar

However....

While I have not double booked myself, I did sign up for an open water swim.  It's in Wrightsville Beach which is far but not really a problem.  I mean, I've done 10ks in that area before and round tripped it and I've done day trips to the beach.  It's all good, right?  Then I realized that to make the swim start and check in and stuff I'd need to leave the house at like 4am. 

Isn't that when you get up for a morning run anyway???? At least it won't be too hot out. Or bright.

2014-05-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Confession time!

I gave Tom a really hard time about double booking himself.  I said something about using a newfangled device called a calendar

However....

While I have not double booked myself, I did sign up for an open water swim.  It's in Wrightsville Beach which is far but not really a problem.  I mean, I've done 10ks in that area before and round tripped it and I've done day trips to the beach.  It's all good, right?  Then I realized that to make the swim start and check in and stuff I'd need to leave the house at like 4am. 

Isn't that when you get up for a morning run anyway???? At least it won't be too hot out. Or bright.

hahaha!  I just didn't factor in that the swim starts earlier than the 10k.  There won't be any traffic on the roads at that time, that's for sure! :-)

2014-05-28 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Confession time!

However....

Yeah, that's what I would have had to do to make my race, too (3 am, actually, but still). 

Was not going to happen after staying up to midnight helping to tear down from a wedding.

2014-05-28 12:57 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Confession time!

However....

Yeah, that's what I would have had to do to make my race, too (3 am, actually, but still). 

Was not going to happen after staying up to midnight helping to tear down from a wedding.

Why couldn't you just stay up then?

2014-05-28 12:58 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Confession time!

However....

Oh, I'm going!  It's just that it was a scheduling mishap that I thought that I should share.

P.S.  The wedding teardown would have made a nice warm up!

2014-05-28 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Chris,

When is bike school?

2014-05-28 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In other news, I saw this in my email today.  I'll bet the medal for it is cool!

Kevin said, "Do or do not do, there is no try."

2014-05-28 1:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Confession time!

However....

Thank you Ben!

2014-05-28 1:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Confession time!

However....

Thank you Ben!

Speaking of getting up at 3am and Disney events, this could have been good training!

2014-05-28 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Confession time!

However....

So, what's the problem?

2014-05-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Confession time!

However....

we have a saying for times like these: "sounded like a good idea at the time!"

I thought leaving at 4 a.m. for races was normal.  When he did tris (sprint and Oly), DH wanted to leave at 4:15 a.m. to drive 45 min. to be early enough to get all set up/warmed up for when his wave started at 7 or 7:30.  Being the loving and supportive spouse that I am, I'd accommodate what I thought was his craziness and drag my sleepy rear out of bed to go with him.  You mean not everybody leaves for races that early? 

2014-05-28 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, I leave Fl for NC on Tuesday, June 3rd. School starts the next day.

I've run Disney, the 3:00 am start time is necessary. And it can be painful. I was also at WDW this Friday for the "Rock Your Disney Side" 24 hours of Magic. Yes, the Magic Kingdom was open for 24 straight hours and people were encouraged to dress as their favorite character. I've also been at "Star Wars Weekend" in Hollywood Studio. I bring all of this up just to say this. Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend will be nuts. When you combine the love of Disney with the love of Star Wars and the love of running, well the results will not be pretty. Thank goodness it is in January, because there is no doubt in my mind that someone(s) will be running in full Darth Vadar ensemble. Surrounded by Storm Troopers. I'm not judging, I'm just predicting.

2014-05-28 1:28 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Confession time!

However....

So, what's the problem?

No problem!  Get up early for a day trip to the beach!  WOO HOO!

2014-05-28 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Poo!  I was hoping that you'd be there in August!  

Wait!  You'll be a certified mechanic then.  Maybe you can come up in August anyway?  ;-)

I've run Disney, the 3:00 am start time is necessary. And it can be painful. I was also at WDW this Friday for the "Rock Your Disney Side" 24 hours of Magic. Yes, the Magic Kingdom was open for 24 straight hours and people were encouraged to dress as their favorite character. I've also been at "Star Wars Weekend" in Hollywood Studio. I bring all of this up just to say this. Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend will be nuts. When you combine the love of Disney with the love of Star Wars and the love of running, well the results will not be pretty. Thank goodness it is in January, because there is no doubt in my mind that someone(s) will be running in full Darth Vadar ensemble. Surrounded by Storm Troopers. I'm not judging, I'm just predicting.

Yeah, I'm an addict of The Dis (don't ask me why but I've been listening to them for years) and they were talking about that.

The Star Wars thingie is on the wrong coast for a Hands/Chris/FIL visit though...

2014-05-28 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

195 bucks for a half Mary, eff me.
Mind you, if I were to do it, I don't know about Darth Vader costume, be more like Jabba the Hut the way I feel at the moment.
2014-05-28 1:39 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

195 bucks for a half Mary, eff me. Mind you, if I were to do it, I don't know about Darth Vader costume, be more like Jabba the Hut the way I feel at the moment.

And that does not even include transportation to California!  Or hotel!  But the medal will be really cool :-)

2014-05-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

DS2 likes the Star Wars Half idea...

Speaking of DS2, the pix from BB are in and I just love two of them that they took. Problem? They're $25 a piece or $60 for all the pix (the others aren't so great)

ETA: guess I can't show you the proofs.  How about this

Edited by rrrunner 2014-05-28 1:54 PM
2014-05-28 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

195 bucks for a half Mary, eff me. Mind you, if I were to do it, I don't know about Darth Vader costume, be more like Jabba the Hut the way I feel at the moment.

And that does not even include transportation to California!  Or hotel!  But the medal will be really cool :-)

Disney keeps upping the cost to enter all its races and people keep paying and paying and paying.  I think it costs about $500 to do the Dopey Challenge (10k, HM, Marathon) and it sells out.  All the races go over the same course (or parts thereof).   Of course, you get lots of medals and T-shirts for that price   I think Goofy is $350 (HM, M) and it sells out too.  You'd think with those prices that Disney would throw in at least 1 day at the park.  You'd be wrong!  The races don't start "until" 5:30, but since they start closing the streets getting into the staging area around 2 or 2:30, you have to aim  be on site by around 3 or so to make sure you make it on time.  A lot of central Floridians will stay at one of the Park's hotels just to avoid the hassle of driving in.  Even so, they have to be moving around 2:30 too!  

Of course, you do get the magic of Disney and can spend lots of times stopping along the course to take pictures with the characters or in front of Cinderella's castle; so you've got that going for you! 

I ran Disney as my first marathon and second HM.  I don't feel the need to ever do it again, but know lots of people who love the races and do them every year.

2014-05-28 2:01 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

Speaking of DS2, the pix from BB are in and I just love two of them that they took. Problem? They're $25 a piece or $60 for all the pix (the others aren't so great)

I see at least three that are good.  :-)

Tell me about your running skirt.  SkirtSports? The shorties stay put?  Comfy for longer runs or better for the shorter stuff?  Good in the heat or does it get weighted down if you get drenched?  Lunchtime runs have me thinking that a running skirt might not be all bad. ;-)

2014-05-28 2:02 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
BIO

Uhhh, finally

NAME: Darren, (Dazzer, Son)

STORY: 38 year old British guy (of the Welsh variety) who quit smoking October 2012. In order to avoid piling on the pounds, I looked for a long term challenge. Cue triathlon training. Since then I have had to learn how to swim (badly), how to suffer on stupid hills on my stupid bike, and how to get all manner of injuries from running. I find it a constant struggle to remain consistent with training, as I live a very busy life.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to DW Hannah for the past 7 years, with two sprogs in tow, Emmylou (almost 6 going on 18) and Finley (4 unlikely to reach 5 the way he's going). Also have the customary manatee furry friend Lucy (St Bernard) who's 4 1/2.

CURRENT TRAINING: Trying to train as and when I can fit it in around work and a multitude of jobs I have half started around the house.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:

July Long Course Weekend Wales (Basically a Iron Distance over 3 days)
August Vitruvian Man (HIM)
September Equinox 24 (24 hour run)

BODY COMPOSITION: Frumpy (meh)

2014-05-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Disney keeps upping the cost to enter all its races and people keep paying and paying and paying.  I think it costs about $500 to do the Dopey Challenge (10k, HM, Marathon) and it sells out.  All the races go over the same course (or parts thereof).   Of course, you get lots of medals and T-shirts for that price   I think Goofy is $350 (HM, M) and it sells out too.  You'd think with those prices that Disney would throw in at least 1 day at the park.  You'd be wrong!  The races don't start "until" 5:30, but since they start closing the streets getting into the staging area around 2 or 2:30, you have to aim  be on site by around 3 or so to make sure you make it on time.  A lot of central Floridians will stay at one of the Park's hotels just to avoid the hassle of driving in.  Even so, they have to be moving around 2:30 too!  

Of course, you do get the magic of Disney and can spend lots of times stopping along the course to take pictures with the characters or in front of Cinderella's castle; so you've got that going for you! 

I ran Disney as my first marathon and second HM.  I don't feel the need to ever do it again, but know lots of people who love the races and do them every year.

I was actually turned off more by Christmas music and Christmas decorations in the park in January than by the entry fee.  And the fact that I spent 10 hours in the car to get slightly warmer weather and we had freezing temps and sleet!

2014-05-28 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by rrrunner

I see at least three that are good.  :-)

Tell me about your running skirt.  SkirtSports? The shorties stay put?  Comfy for longer runs or better for the shorter stuff?  Good in the heat or does it get weighted down if you get drenched?  Lunchtime runs have me thinking that a running skirt might not be all bad. ;-)

It is a SkirtSports (so is the bright pink tank). I love their stuff! The shorties do stay put nicely and they are comfy for both short and long dinstance. I generally don't wear them if it is hot out because it's basically two layers that are as thick or thicker than regular running shorts. My SS collection includes two pair running shorts, a running capri and a bike capri.

2014-05-28 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Wow, have I ever missed a LOT in here while the mean people at work have expected me to be all productive n' stuff.  MEANIES!

WELCOME to the new Manatees!!  

Yanti - I'm glad you and Mutti are okay, and don't ever get into a war of words with that woman, seems like she already won.   

Erin - have you survived your road trip yet??  

Ben - I love that so many people are finding Betty gear!!  

As a Canadian living in the US, I'm constantly having to try and figure out this weird Imperial measurement thing you 'Muricans have going on.  Yay for the metric system!  And putting a 'u' where it should be!   

2014-05-28 2:11 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Confession time!

However....

we have a saying for times like these: "sounded like a good idea at the time!"

I thought leaving at 4 a.m. for races was normal.  When he did tris (sprint and Oly), DH wanted to leave at 4:15 a.m. to drive 45 min. to be early enough to get all set up/warmed up for when his wave started at 7 or 7:30.  Being the loving and supportive spouse that I am, I'd accommodate what I thought was his craziness and drag my sleepy rear out of bed to go with him.  You mean not everybody leaves for races that early? 

We are usually closer to 5:00 but yeah... crazystoopidearly

2014-05-28 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I was actually turned off more by Christmas music and Christmas decorations in the park in January than by the entry fee.  And the fact that I spent 10 hours in the car to get slightly warmer weather and we had freezing temps and sleet!

That was in 2010.  I did the HM that year.  Man that was miserable - especially for the people (like my sister and sister in law)who were still running when the sleet turned to rain.  Thankfully, I finished before the rain and sat in a warm car waiting for the rest of my group.  That was really unusual weather for us,it usually gets into the 70s for the race. 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.