Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-02-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
Tony  or to anyone else:  is $660 good for a wheelset Mavic Open Pro with PT? Used.

I'm thinking about giving up my sweet Cosmic Carbones wheels for a PT. However, I cannot find ANY PT on a good wheelset for less for what was paid for my Carbones.

Again, I'm suffering from buyer's remorse...put up with me...sorry. :-P

Lastly - I don't see a lot of my cycling friends with PT. Maybe one person, but she doesn't really train by it.

If I get the PT instead, will that help me better than the wheels, honestly? 

Edited by CyborgQueen 2011-02-11 5:46 PM

2011-02-11 6:13 PM
in reply to: #3351225

User image

Elite
san francisco
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-11 3:44 PM Tony  or to anyone else:  is $660 good for a wheelset Mavic Open Pro with PT? Used.

I'm thinking about giving up my sweet Cosmic Carbones wheels for a PT. However, I cannot find ANY PT on a good wheelset for less for what was paid for my Carbones.

Lastly - I don't see a lot of my cycling friends with PT. Maybe one person, but she doesn't really train by it.

DJ, now that we have put a damper on Trevor's buying party, don't get all sad about your sweet Cosmic Carbones!  If you get the PT, are you prepared to do all of the research and numbers crunching that probably goes into training and racing with power?  Or have a coach that does that for you?

I am not a big numbers geek like some, but I am lucky to have the means to hire a coach and he does all of that stuff for me.  Of course, I have to do the workouts, and sometimes I am cursing him for giving me threshold workouts and time trial tests, etc, but honestly, I don't have the energy or time to figure it all out myself, nor would I feel comfortable with that approach...I have gotten myself injured trying to do that before, but then again, that's me!

Just food for thought. 
2011-02-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3351256

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2011-02-11 6:13 PM
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-11 3:44 PM Tony  or to anyone else:  is $660 good for a wheelset Mavic Open Pro with PT? Used.

DJ, now that we have put a damper on Trevor's buying party, don't get all sad about your sweet Cosmic Carbones!  If you get the PT, are you prepared to do all of the research and numbers crunching that probably goes into training and racing with power?  Or have a coach that does that for you?

I am not a big numbers geek like some, but I am lucky to have the means to hire a coach and he does all of that stuff for me.  Of course, I have to do the workouts, and sometimes I am cursing him for giving me threshold workouts and time trial tests, etc, but honestly, I don't have the energy or time to figure it all out myself, nor would I feel comfortable with that approach...I have gotten myself injured trying to do that before, but then again, that's me!

Just food for thought. 

You all know I have a coach and I believe they can be big assets, but now that I have been using the PT for almost a year, I am not sure it is all that complicated.  You do a TT and figure out your power zones.  You find a plan that is built around power and follow it.  If it says ride 20' in Z3, you have already established what your Z3 power range is....right?  If it were me, I would only buy the PT if you also intended to follow a plan that incorporated it.  I know EN sells them off the shelf.  Not sure if BT has any, but it's worth a look.  Having said that, I also think investing in a coach could be a good use of the funds if you have an extra $2,00-3,000 hanging around.

2011-02-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3351256

User image

Master
Sin City
kt65 - 2011-02-11 4:13 PM
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-11 3:44 PM 

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Just food for thought. 

LOL!! Good point.  I forgot that it's more to it than just reading the wattage.

I don't have a coach anymore, so I'm basically racing/riding on my own. There are few times (not very often though), that I wish I knew what's my power outputs were, especially on the hills.  So, good point about having someone ELSE do the work for you. 

I'm racing for the fun of it, for the fitness...not number crunching, so I think if I have another thing to obsess about, I'll just go crazy and it won't be fun for me anymore. 

I'm going on a longish ride this Sunday, and this time it's more flat, so I should be able to enjoy my wheels....I just hope that everyone else in the group don't look at me funny. Road bike with sweet Carbones, and multicolored bartape with a red cap (because it makes me go faster...that's what the LBS guy said..lol). 

2011-02-11 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3351225

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
CyborgQueen - 2011-02-11 6:44 PM Tony  or to anyone else:  is $660 good for a wheelset Mavic Open Pro with PT? Used.

660 for a wired powertap is too expensive, if it's wireless that's a good deal.

Are you sure they don't have SRM's, Quarq's or similiar?  A good portion of the guys/girls on my team seem to have them.  As Kim said they are a great tool if you take the time to do your FTP tests and such to get zones to ride in.  If not it's just a cool bike computer that costs a lot of money (compared to a cateye computer)

EDIT: I missed Suzy's post, I agree, it's not that hard really to get zones, you do a FTP test (they're easy to get the protocol for)

Then you use a formula to figure out your zones, very similar to HR zones for running, there are zones for going all out, zones for recovery and everything inbetween.

Then you need to find a plan that incorporates that plan.  I believe BT has some silver plans that use power, or they were working on them at one time.

Edited by dalessit 2011-02-11 6:58 PM
2011-02-11 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3351165

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
kkcbelle - 2011-02-11 4:41 PM I'm just one of those lame-o riders who rides what I have... which is what came with the bike. Buying a new bike last year was HUGE for me!! I've honestly never thought about upgrading wheels or anything. I guess FOR ME I would say "why bother?" I did enjoy riding Steve's wheels in CDA (Thanks again, Steve!!) -- they felt nice for sure. But not nice enough for me to throw down a lot of $$ on my very own (especially if I have a friend who will loan them, and it's also not cost-prohibitive to rent them for a big race like an IM). I'd probably put myself in the camp of "If I have the money to spend..." I, too, would pony up for a PT. Or just start saving for one in case I ever came across a screamin' good deal.

I must say, I'm a total stereotypical woman who hates the technical side of cycling the most when it comes to triathlong. I like to keep things simple -- just go. I always get bogged down with pumping up tires, making sure I have spare this, that, and the other, watching the weather closely, yada yada yada. Don't get me wrong, I love the big picture, but I just wish bikes would maintain themselves like my running shoes do, ha!!

LOL - I am right there w/ ya Kyla.  I don't have the time to play with all of those numbers.  I have a Garmin and rarely have time to upload my workouts or get annoyed at the computer when it does weird things w/ my watch.

I guess that is why I got married.  ;-)  I make Tony deal w/ all of that stuff.  I do however have power zones and while I do not have a power tap, we have a CT (purchased for $300 as a sweat deal on craigslist).  Anyway during the winter I train on that w/ power.  When I am outside I use my corresponding HR zones.  But honestly, I rarely have a clear brain when I go out for my workout so I'm winging it half the time.  I wish I could be more organized but I'm not right now.

2011-02-11 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Woo Hoo - I finally got my 26km TT in and it went very well.  I was a hair off my ambitious time goal but I had a great plan and pretty much stuck to it even with race day type factors like wind and slowing down for aid stations.

I had hoped to run a 2:18 / 8:32 pace over the 16m as kind of a mental cushion for the 8:37 marathon pace that I will need.  I did a 2:19 / 8:38 pace.  I realized over my run that this was my longest run since Disney b/c of all kinds of sickness and most definitely my hardest long distance training effort EVER.  There is room for improvement and 5 weeks to bump up some mileage and a little more speed.

I met w/ my coach this afternoon.  He was very pleased w/ my time.  I think we both realize that the goal is now possible but it will take a perfectly run race to achieve.  I know that and I'm ok with that.  At least a sub 4 hr. time should be within reach.  That will be a step in the right direction.
2011-02-11 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3351464

User image

Elite
san francisco
sdalessio - 2011-02-11 7:55 PMWoo Hoo - I finally got my 26km TT in and it went very well.  I was a hair off my ambitious time goal but I had a great plan and pretty much stuck to it even with race day type factors like wind and slowing down for aid stations.

I had hoped to run a 2:18 / 8:32 pace over the 16m as kind of a mental cushion for the 8:37 marathon pace that I will need.  I did a 2:19 / 8:38 pace.  I realized over my run that this was my longest run since Disney b/c of all kinds of sickness and most definitely my hardest long distance training effort EVER.  There is room for improvement and 5 weeks to bump up some mileage and a little more speed.

I met w/ my coach this afternoon.  He was very pleased w/ my time.  I think we both realize that the goal is now possible but it will take a perfectly run race to achieve.  I know that and I'm ok with that.  At least a sub 4 hr. time should be within reach.  That will be a step in the right direction.
That is terrific!! Great job getting it done, Sam!
2011-02-11 10:52 PM

User image

Master
sdalessio - 2011-02-11 7:55 PM Woo Hoo - I finally got my 26km TT in and it went very well.  I was a hair off my ambitious time goal but I had a great plan and pretty much stuck to it even with race day type factors like wind and slowing down for aid stations.

Awesome!!! So glad you were able to do your run AND do it so successfully! Congratulations!! So happy for you!!!
2011-02-12 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks guys!  It really feels good to have that run behind me and have it go well and run a pace that makes my goal within reach.  So often, I set goals that I want to accomplish but am not physically capable of at the moment.  But this one, I got.  I easily wasted 15-30 sec per stop getting water, fishing out a gel and standing there to eat/drink. 

Now I realize that 16m is not 26m and I'm sure I could held onto that pace for another 10m but I'm still 5 weeks away so who knows.  Time will tell.  At least I can keep training with that goal in mind and be confident to give it a go Mar. 20.
2011-02-12 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2011-02-11 9:55 PM Woo Hoo - I finally got my 26km TT in and it went very well.  I was a hair off my ambitious time goal but I had a great plan and pretty much stuck to it even with race day type factors like wind and slowing down for aid stations.

AWESOME!

2011-02-12 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3351666

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
SSMinnow - 2011-02-12 8:44 AM
sdalessio - 2011-02-11 9:55 PM Woo Hoo - I finally got my 26km TT in and it went very well.  I was a hair off my ambitious time goal but I had a great plan and pretty much stuck to it even with race day type factors like wind and slowing down for aid stations.

AWESOME!

X2
2011-02-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3351645

User image

Master
Maryland
sdalessio - 2011-02-12 9:18 AM Thanks guys!  It really feels good to have that run behind me and have it go well and run a pace that makes my goal within reach.  So often, I set goals that I want to accomplish but am not physically capable of at the moment.  But this one, I got.  I easily wasted 15-30 sec per stop getting water, fishing out a gel and standing there to eat/drink. 

Now I realize that 16m is not 26m and I'm sure I could held onto that pace for another 10m but I'm still 5 weeks away so who knows.  Time will tell.  At least I can keep training with that goal in mind and be confident to give it a go Mar. 20.

It is great that you had a breakthrough workout and are feeling healthy too!

Linda
2011-02-12 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
I got bit by a large Collie this morning near the Potomac River about 5 miles out. It was on my glutes! Yes, my @$$. I wish people supervise their dogs. I think this one will be sore for a while.

Linda
2011-02-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3351997

User image

Champion
Terps421 - 2011-02-12 2:25 PM I got bit by a large Collie this morning near the Potomac River about 5 miles out. It was on my glutes! Yes, my @$$. I wish people supervise their dogs. I think this one will be sore for a while.

Linda

Oh Linda.....I am sorry.  Did you see his rabies tag?
2011-02-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3351997

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Terps421 - 2011-02-12 2:25 PM I got bit by a large Collie this morning near the Potomac River about 5 miles out. It was on my glutes! Yes, my @$$. I wish people supervise their dogs. I think this one will be sore for a while.

Linda

That sucks and must have been scary!  I hate loose dogs, flashes me back that movie:

2011-02-12 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Oh...and how about them Badgers.

Goodbye #1 Ohio State, you are no longer undefeated!  Not in our house!

2011-02-12 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
DJ - I am in the camp with those that think that you may not need a PT based on your goals (fitness and having fun racing).  Since you are a relatively new cyclist (like me!) I think you can gain a lot more from miles and riding with experienced cyclists.  I feel like it would be a stretch for me to justify it based on my goals and time to dedicate to the sport.  Not saying that I will never have one, just not in my current stage of training and racing.

Sam - Awesome job on your run.  Congrats!

Linda - OUCH!!  Did it break the skin or just pinch?  Did the dog come back for seconds...that would indicate that you tasted yummy!

We skied today.  My legs were really tired from my run yesterday so I spent a lot more time with my 4 yo than the 8 yo daredevil!!

Everyone enjoy the rest of your Saturday!
2011-02-12 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3352037

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-02-12 3:02 PM Oh...and how about them Badgers.

Goodbye #1 Ohio State, you are no longer undefeated!  Not in our house!

That was amazing!!!   
2011-02-12 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Cassette question

I am looking to get a cassette for my tri bike and wheelset.  I am currently riding an 11 or 12 25 on my road bike and thinking about an 11 28 for the tri.

Any opinions as to what would be best.  I have standard crank.  I guess my main thought is that I like the 28 ring.  Is there any performance issues with the spread or gap isssues from 11 thru 28?
2011-02-12 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Not intending to stir the pot but here goes:

As I was on my 30 mile ride this afternoon with my group, one of the group gals asked me if I were going to get a power tap.  My response was that I didn't think that I was going to be competitive enough to have to worry with a tap.

I understand that people have them and some people want to be the best that they can be and maybe a power tap would be of benefit.  But really how much will a power tap, coach, and a $4000 bike help us mere mortals that really are solid MOPers.

If the funds are no object, I would like to have a PT and a coach, but what would they accomplish...moving me up in the pack from 400th place to 375th?

Again...a quote from Suzy - "ride more"

2011-02-12 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3352165

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Plainsman AU - 2011-02-12 5:28 PM Cassette question

I am looking to get a cassette for my tri bike and wheelset.  I am currently riding an 11 or 12 25 on my road bike and thinking about an 11 28 for the tri.

Any opinions as to what would be best.  I have standard crank.  I guess my main thought is that I like the 28 ring.  Is there any performance issues with the spread or gap isssues from 11 thru 28?

Barry, can I ask why you think you need a new cassette?  An 11/25 or 12/25 is probably the best gear range you can have, unless you plan on riding a really, really, really hilly course....then you will want a 27 or 28.  I will ride a 12/27 usually on my roadie but use that on all my hill rides (I have an 11/23 that I will throw on for some fast group rides but not very often), but have never ridden anything other than an 11/25 on my tri-bike.  Don't let your gearing from the trainer this winter scare you before you get on the road.  Especially the Nashbar trainer that you ride which probably has you on a 2% grade on most of your rides.  You are gonna be amazed at how easy it will be to push the open road once you get back out there..........Spring is coming.....I hope!  Laughing

Just my $.02

2011-02-12 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3352177

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Plainsman AU - 2011-02-12 5:40 PM Not intending to stir the pot but here goes:

As I was on my 30 mile ride this afternoon with my group, one of the group gals asked me if I were going to get a power tap.  My response was that I didn't think that I was going to be competitive enough to have to worry with a tap.

I understand that people have them and some people want to be the best that they can be and maybe a power tap would be of benefit.  But really how much will a power tap, coach, and a $4000 bike help us mere mortals that really are solid MOPers.

If the funds are no object, I would like to have a PT and a coach, but what would they accomplish...moving me up in the pack from 400th place to 375th?

Again...a quote from Suzy - "ride more"...always an easy solution to run or bike more!

Do you train with HR or Pace when you run? 

Did you set those zones using some sort of testing protocol? 
2011-02-12 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Barry, in John's absence you have beeb elected "the pot stirrer."
My view is that everyone can justify certain things to themselves. Some people lke to spend $$ on things that they deem to be important to them.
ie. I just ordered those wheels. It's something I wanted. Will it make me faster? Maybe. But i should lose 20lbs before August, and that would benefit me alot more than wheels. But I wanted them. I can justify them to myself and that is all that matters.
As for the cassette I have a 12-23, and a 12-26. Big difference on the hills for sure. You do lose something on the downhills though. You pedal through gears quicker obv. But we have hills around here - IT IS THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS AFTER ALL!

Linda - ouch, but uselss without pics. Kiss 
2011-02-12 6:38 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Well after many deals falling through. I found found my bike, bought it and went and picked it up today. Did an 800 km round trip drive to pick it up. Managed to drive through about 6 whiteout snow storms, considered turning around several times. I think my wife wanted me to turn around about 25 times.

I considered it when I had my car sideways doing about 60mph in the snow. Went around a bend with the sun shining and came into a whiteout snow storm and went sideways.... Ride home was nice and SUNNY and up to 29 degrees F by the time I got back home.

800 km  and 9 hours on the road and one picture in my basement later

Meet "STORM"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171