BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Way to much to try and keep up with these days. I did finally finish my virtual bike ride though. Not bad but I think I could have done better. I'll post it sometime in the next day or too. Way busy around my place now betwee 12 hour work days and training and yard work. etc.

Good luck to all you racers if I don't get back on to wish you well before the weekend. Knock the socks off Boise Roni and Steve.

2009-06-11 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2210804

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-06-11 11:47 AM
TrevorC - 2009-06-11 1:44 PM

LBS at lunch. Tony makes me spend money! Aero bottle and a garmin cadence sensor. I know the sensor is a good thing to have to have though.

So Barry...you ready?

HAHA I am still trying to figure out what to tell my wife to get me for Fathers Day, probably just a gift certificate from LBS.

I already told the girl at the Tri-Store that there will be a lady coming in looking like a deer-in-the-headlights. Do not let her buy anything!! Only a GC is acceptable!
2009-06-11 1:10 PM
in reply to: #2210817

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
TrevorC - 2009-06-11 1:50 PM

LBS at lunch. Tony makes me spend money! Aero bottle and a garmin cadence sensor. I know the sensor is a good thing to have to have though.

So Barry...you ready?

HAHA I am still trying to figure out what to tell my wife to get me for Fathers Day, probably just a gift certificate from LBS.

I already told the girl at the Tri-Store that there will be a lady coming in looking like a deer-in-the-headlights. Do not let her buy anything!! Only a GC is acceptable!

LOL.

Funny I was reading someones race report from Mooseman and he was talking about riding next to a guy on a "beautiful Planet-X" and riding next to for a long time and talking from time to time.  Small world.

I talk a lot when racing.  When I ride by or next to someone I usually say hi or "nice day for a ride"  or something similar.  When running I always say something to spectators or other racers, not sure but it seems to calm me down to talk when racing, anyone else do that?
2009-06-11 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2210900

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-06-11 1:10 PM

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

Funny I was reading someones race report from Mooseman and he was talking about riding next to a guy on a "beautiful Planet-X" and riding next to for a long time and talking from time to time.  Small world.

I talk a lot when racing.  When I ride by or next to someone I usually say hi or "nice day for a ride"  or something similar.  When running I always say something to spectators or other racers, not sure but it seems to calm me down to talk when racing, anyone else do that?

I'll talk to anyone anytime.  Unfortunately for me during the race its usually in response to an "on your left".  At a minimum I'll tell almost everyone that passes me or those poor souls that I pass that they are looking good or something along those lines. 

For that matter, on my training runs there are several dogs I talk to.
2009-06-11 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2210900

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-06-11 12:10 PM

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

Funny....I was just reading  your wife's RR and went into his too, and said 'hey that's tony he's talking about i think'...then i saw your comments on the bottom.

I bet I could save a few minutes off my times if i stopped talking. This weekend my favorite was " It'd sure be a nice day if that wind wasn't blowing..have a good ride."
2009-06-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2210965

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-11 2:24 PM

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

Funny....I was just reading  your wife's RR and went into his too, and said 'hey that's tony he's talking about i think'...then i saw your comments on the bottom.

I bet I could save a few minutes off my times if i stopped talking. This weekend my favorite was " It'd sure be a nice day if that wind wasn't blowing..have a good ride."

Well we do this for fun right?

I tend to ask spectators pushing strollers for a ride, I ask spectators drinking beer if they have any extra (Every time I ask when racing I always get offered one....)

I always try to offer encouragement if the course is out and back.  If they are in front of me coming back on my way out I usually say "good run, race, etc"  If I am on my way back in and they are on their way out, especially if they look like they are struggling, I say looking strong, almost there, etc.

Most other people racing don't say anything in response, but it is actually really nice to have people that look like they are about to die light up and smile back at you and say thanks when you say something nice to them.

2009-06-11 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2210996

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-06-11 1:32 PM

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

I tend to ask spectators pushing strollers for a ride, I ask spectators drinking beer if they have any extra (Every time I ask when racing I always get offered one....)

I always try to offer encouragement if the course is out and back.  If they are in front of me coming back on my way out I usually say "good run, race, etc"  If I am on my way back in and they are on their way out, especially if they look like they are struggling, I say looking strong, almost there, etc.

Most other people racing don't say anything in response, but it is actually really nice to have people that look like they are about to die light up and smile back at you and say thanks when you say something nice to them.

RIGHT!!!
2009-06-11 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Thanks guys for the good luck wishes.

I think I am ready, although this last week I have been not doing as much training and that is where the second thoughts creep in.  I am trying to get some rest this week and focus on this race, as it is the first and it is a long way from the HIM, so I have been doing a little tapering to feel fresh.  I hope it works, but I can see why people talk about going crazy during taper period.  You feel like you should be doing something.

One thing I have learned about triathlon.  HIDE YOUR RECEIPTS!  I have gone on a little spending spree this week...you know...gotta look good.  I have realized that it might be beneficial to destroy all tri receipts after purchase.  I mean, it is not absolutely necessary that your spouse know how much this is costing  Yes, I left one too many receipts laying around and got the lecture this morning.  Oh well.
2009-06-11 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2211048

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-11 12:45 PM

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

RIGHT!!!

I actually feel bad when a spectator or volunteer says "looking good" or "keep it up"...And all i can muster up out my mouth is "hhuuuacckkkacckkkk (dry heave, dry heave) ..nks"
2009-06-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2205768

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
TrevorC - 2009-06-09 3:34 PM
gadgetlaw - 2009-06-09 1:02 PM I am trying to catch up after a crazy busy weekend. All I can say is we have a group of awesome racers!! Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend and kicked but! I can finally say that I am racing this weekend. A Sprint which was my first ever when I did it last year! I am hoping to better my time, but what with being sick, I will be okay if I don't! I have my new wheels on my bike, with a brand new cassette (thanks for the advice Steve), and I am ready to go!! Keep up the good work everyone!

Karen

So what are your goals for this race then? Being your first of the year, and a repeat of your first ever tri? I saw last year you did it in 1:46:36.....

I have been thinking about this.  Usually, I have three separate goals.  One, I tell everyone - I just want to finish.  One, I tell my family - a reasonable time that I am sure I can do, so when I beat it everyone thinks I did great.  Cool  One, I don't tell anybody - a true goal time that I hope to reach, but may not.  Given everything that has been going on the past few months, I will truly be happy with 1:46:35 or anything better than last year!!  I did have a good swim this morning.  I did my 880 yds in 22:40.  For me that is a record.  Of course, I don't know how that will translate to the lake on Saturday!

Karen
2009-06-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2210996

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

So Barry...you ready?

LOL.

This is one of the things I really like about the tri community - while there are few tri-snobs out there, just about everyone is encouraging and helpful for people like me who are nowhere near competitive and are in it to finish it!

2009-06-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2211078

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2009-06-11 12:50 PM Thanks guys for the good luck wishes.

I think I am ready, although this last week I have been not doing as much training and that is where the second thoughts creep in.  I am trying to get some rest this week and focus on this race, as it is the first and it is a long way from the HIM, so I have been doing a little tapering to feel fresh.  I hope it works, but I can see why people talk about going crazy during taper period.  You feel like you should be doing something.

One thing I have learned about triathlon.  HIDE YOUR RECEIPTS!  I have gone on a little spending spree this week...you know...gotta look good.  I have realized that it might be beneficial to destroy all tri receipts after purchase.  I mean, it is not absolutely necessary that your spouse know how much this is costing  Yes, I left one too many receipts laying around and got the lecture this morning.  Oh well.

I tell my wife that everything costs $20.
2009-06-11 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-06-11 1:50 PM Thanks guys for the good luck wishes.

Just tell her it is cheaper than cigarettes, liquor, and hookers...  (OH MY!!!)  

2009-06-11 5:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2009-06-11 1:50 PM Thanks guys for the good luck wishes.

Barry--Ah yes, the lecture. I have gotten that a few times. The beauty is we have couple money and separate money and when I buy something outrageous, I use my own credit card.  If I deem it passable, I put it on the couples card and he pays the bills.  Works like a charm most months. 

Karen--nice job on the swim.  That time is similar to my own 800 yards in the pool.  Between adrenaline and a wetsuit I was significantly below that last Sunday.  I think you will surprise yourself.  Just stay calm, breathe slowly and if you get flustered take a moment to regroup.  You will do great!

Suzy
2009-06-12 12:08 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congrats on the swimming breakthrough Suzy!

Have a great time at your first tri Barry!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! My bib# is 551 if your really bored and have nothing to do Saturday afternoon/evening you can track me on ironman.com

Hope everyone has a terrific weekend!!!
2009-06-12 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2212405

User image

Champion
roni_runnw - 2009-06-12 1:08 AM Congrats on the swimming breakthrough Suzy!

Thanks for the good wishes everyone! My bib# is 551 if your really bored and have nothing to do Saturday afternoon/evening you can track me on ironman.com

hehe roni not sure if you saw my post on facebook but make sure you slap steve's butt when you pass him out on the course.

2009-06-12 7:48 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
roni_runnw - 2009-06-12 12:08 AM Congrats on the swimming breakthrough Suzy!

GOOD LUCK RONI!!!  KICK SOME A$$$ OUT THERE!!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-12 7:48 AM
2009-06-12 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

roni_runnw - 2009-06-12 12:08 AM Congrats on the swimming breakthrough Suzy!

Good Luck Roni!  You will do great.  As always, I am impressed with anyone who competes in these events!

2009-06-12 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2212683

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-06-12 7:35 AM

hehe roni not sure if you saw my post on facebook but make sure you slap steve's butt when you pass him out on the course.

Slap or pinch?   Too funny.
2009-06-12 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2212808

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-06-12 9:30 AM

Either way works.Laughing
2009-06-12 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2212808

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-06-12 8:30 AM

no no Suzy.  Pinch is what you do when I'm running up hill.

2009-06-12 10:13 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Looks like quiet day on the ol' SWBKRUN message board this morning....I guess everyone is getting all Boise'd up, or too busy tapering(kind of an oxymoron) ....
The kids are up at the in-laws cabin for a few days. Had a great night last night....run after work with the lady, then dinner and the pub, and a tri-goup swim to end the night.
After work today, installing the garmin cadence sensor thinger, and going to going for a big ride hopefully. Wife has Grade 6 graduation tonight so daddy's has the house to himself. Bike, then pizza sounds really good right now.

2009-06-12 10:18 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Hey that's not cool... I prefer a slap though.  It's funny I was driving out with the Bro in-law (same age group) and he is trying to do a 4:40 which means he will pass me on the bike, then again on the run since it is a 2 loop!  That sucks!!!
2009-06-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2213193

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
swbkrun - 2009-06-12 9:18 AM Hey that's not cool... I prefer a slap though.  It's funny I was driving out with the Bro in-law (same age group) and he is trying to do a 4:40 which means he will pass me on the bike, then again on the run since it is a 2 loop!  That sucks!!!

There he is!!! Hows the weather? I saw rain or thundershowers possibly?
2009-06-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2213206

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-12 11:21 AM
swbkrun - 2009-06-12 9:18 AM Hey that's not cool... I prefer a slap though.  It's funny I was driving out with the Bro in-law (same age group) and he is trying to do a 4:40 which means he will pass me on the bike, then again on the run since it is a 2 loop!  That sucks!!!

There he is!!! Hows the weather? I saw rain or thundershowers possibly?

Crossing fingers for good weather for you guys.  Have fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383