BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-15 3:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Why are things gendered instead of leveled?

Hmmm, so, what would this mean?

No snarkyness, just curious.

We have levels or I guess, groups in my running club. It makes sense, we should be grouped with people who run the same paces.

There are no females in level 1 or 2.

Maybe---you register into a race with a PR, not an age.  You compete against others who have similar abilities.

So, gender plays no part, simply ability.

As humans, I think we tend to put most things into categories, and gender is an easily identifiable one of those. Age is another, thus I am not competing against you young whippersnappers. It would be harder to quantify based on ability. Not impossible, simply harder.

Wasn't going to bring this up, but gender isn't as easily identifiable as you think.  Do you base it on gender expression, gender identity, pieces and parts people were born with or acquired, genetics (which aren't always clear-cut either)?  What about people who are intersexed and have both male and female sex organs and prefer to consider themselves as "gender queer" rather than putting themselves in one box or the other?  Having only 2 genders to choose from forces them to deny their identity in order to participate in sporting events, or they simply can't participate at all.  I realize that these people are a small proportion of the population but is it fair to assume that gender is binary and immutable?

DH, who was born female, participates in sporting events and he takes testosterone shots to maintain his male characteristics.  He's also legally male in the eyes of the state.  He'll never be in contention for OA or AG awards.  Is it okay for him to compete as a male?  Does he have to disclose his testosterone use?  Does he have to get a TUE?  What about people like him but who are better/faster athletes?  If a person who was born female but now identifies and presents as male, has had gender reassignment surgery to give him all the male parts and none of the female parts, and uses testosterone competes in a head to head race with a person who was born as and currently identifies as female and he wins, is he cheating?  IIRC, the IOC (or some other upper-level governing body) has taken the stance that transgendered/transsexual athletes can compete as their expressed gender rather than their birth gender, but there was a big flap about it a few years ago. 

Not sure how all this plays into the conversation about the men/women/competition issue; just something to consider when talking about gender in sports.

Here ends *my* soapbox for the day.

As Chris said, I too love this group.

Thanks for bringing this up, Mary, as I was thinking about it a few posts back.  My first instinct is "Make more categories"--coming from a completely "level the playing field" standpoint.  But is that inclusive, or does it become marginalization?  I suspect it would be the latter.  Personally, I feel that if you have made the decision to, have, or are transitioning, you should compete with whom you identify.  But there will be people who don't feel that is fair (I suspect more for M to F).  And that leads to "we should have OA awards"...it's circular because now we are back to the original concern--if the OA winner is based on total OA and not gender OA, it will, most of the time, be a male.  Chris (I think it was he) is correct--each of us has a different view of equality, level playing field, etc even if we are just talking about sport (not career advancement, etc etc).  I still don't have an answer--just respect for all.  

Just one small thing, I think it just has to be about the physical/chemical and leave even identification out. Because for instance someone who's sex is female and identifies as female gender but is having hormone therapy would be breaking the rules. 

I don't understand?  Someone who is born female? ("who's sex is female") and identifies as female but is on what kind of hormone therapy?  

2015-05-15 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

They came back with that decision faster than I expected

Are you surprised by the verdict? 

I'm not sure this thread can handle two deep conversations in one day!

But yes, I am surprised. For starters it was federal, and not state, instructions they were following. So that explains some of the loss of a Massachusetts mindset perhaps.  But to not have a hung jury really surprises me.

yeah, Massachusetts is a really liberal state, but I think the magnitude of what this guy and his brother did probably made conservatives out of a lot of people - at least for this case!

Yeah. It certainly made me question a lot of my values. Especially having experienced it. In a situation where my family very well could have been victims. 

My partner and I usually differ on stuff like this.  She is a fiscal conservative, social liberal, I'm just conservative   But on this one she agreed with the verdict.  I think part of her background on it, though, is that she also emmigrated here.  He was accepted here then commited this heinous crime.

2015-05-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

We have levels or I guess, groups in my running club. It makes sense, we should be grouped with people who run the same paces.

Maybe---you register into a race with a PR, not an age.  You compete against others who have similar abilities.

As humans, I think we tend to put most things into categories, and gender is an easily identifiable one of those. Age is another, thus I am not competing against you young whippersnappers. It would be harder to quantify based on ability. Not impossible, simply harder.

Wasn't going to bring this up, but gender isn't as easily identifiable as you think.  Do you base it on gender expression, gender identity, pieces and parts people were born with or acquired, genetics (which aren't always clear-cut either)?  What about people who are intersexed and have both male and female sex organs and prefer to consider themselves as "gender queer" rather than putting themselves in one box or the other?  Having only 2 genders to choose from forces them to deny their identity in order to participate in sporting events, or they simply can't participate at all.  I realize that these people are a small proportion of the population but is it fair to assume that gender is binary and immutable?

DH, who was born female, participates in sporting events and he takes testosterone shots to maintain his male characteristics.  He's also legally male in the eyes of the state.  He'll never be in contention for OA or AG awards.  Is it okay for him to compete as a male?  Does he have to disclose his testosterone use?  Does he have to get a TUE?  What about people like him but who are better/faster athletes?  If a person who was born female but now identifies and presents as male, has had gender reassignment surgery to give him all the male parts and none of the female parts, and uses testosterone competes in a head to head race with a person who was born as and currently identifies as female and he wins, is he cheating?  IIRC, the IOC (or some other upper-level governing body) has taken the stance that transgendered/transsexual athletes can compete as their expressed gender rather than their birth gender, but there was a big flap about it a few years ago. 

Not sure how all this plays into the conversation about the men/women/competition issue; just something to consider when talking about gender in sports.

Thanks for bringing this up, Mary, as I was thinking about it a few posts back.  My first instinct is "Make more categories"--coming from a completely "level the playing field" standpoint.  But is that inclusive, or does it become marginalization?  I suspect it would be the latter.  Personally, I feel that if you have made the decision to, have, or are transitioning, you should compete with whom you identify.  But there will be people who don't feel that is fair (I suspect more for M to F).  And that leads to "we should have OA awards"...it's circular because now we are back to the original concern--if the OA winner is based on total OA and not gender OA, it will, most of the time, be a male.  Chris (I think it was he) is correct--each of us has a different view of equality, level playing field, etc even if we are just talking about sport (not career advancement, etc etc).  I still don't have an answer--just respect for all.  

Just one small thing, I think it just has to be about the physical/chemical and leave even identification out. Because for instance someone who's sex is female and identifies as female gender but is having hormone therapy would be breaking the rules. 

I don't understand?  Someone who is born female? ("who's sex is female") and identifies as female but is on what kind of hormone therapy?  

testosterone.

There are lots and lots and lots of variations

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-15 3:55 PM
2015-05-15 3:57 PM

User image

Master

testosterone.

Sorry, still don't get it.  Why would a female who identifies with female be taking testosterone therapy?  

2015-05-15 3:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I guess leaving out how they identify and only focusing on physical/chemical would rule out any pre-hormone, pre-op folks from competing in anything.  Then again, most trans folk who are pre-hormone and pre-op probably aren't entering races because the reason they aren't taking hormones and having had any operations is that they don't have the money to pay for them.  Probably a moot point.

2015-05-15 3:59 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Seattle

testosterone.

Sorry, still don't get it.  Why would a female who identifies with female be taking testosterone therapy?  

That's a good question! Who knows!?

That's kind of my point. 

2015-05-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

I guess leaving out how they identify and only focusing on physical/chemical would rule out any pre-hormone, pre-op folks from competing in anything.  Then again, most trans folk who are pre-hormone and pre-op probably aren't entering races because the reason they aren't taking hormones and having had any operations is that they don't have the money to pay for them.  Probably a moot point.

I found this http://media.wix.com/ugd/2bc3fc_476cfbfe00df48c3aa5322a29d5e11b2.pdf

2015-05-15 4:02 PM

User image

Master

testosterone.

That's kind of my point. 

Okay, so I am not just being obtuse.  .  

To me, that is just someone who is breaking the rules for an advantage?

2015-05-15 4:04 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

But yes, I am surprised. For starters it was federal, and not state, instructions they were following. So that explains some of the loss of a Massachusetts mindset perhaps.  But to not have a hung jury really surprises me.

Haha! 

Ok, on a light note, anyone care to comment on that hair?

I thought he looked like a sad little werewolf.

2015-05-15 4:08 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master

Can we forget gender identity and just compete within categories of our testosterone levels?

2015-05-15 4:10 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by amd723

yeah, Massachusetts is a really liberal state, but I think the magnitude of what this guy and his brother did probably made conservatives out of a lot of people - at least for this case!

Yeah. It certainly made me question a lot of my values. Especially having experienced it. In a situation where my family very well could have been victims. 

And their disregard for human life did not end with the bombing.   Some of the details of their final violent confrontations and their willingness to keep killing indiscriminately are just pure evil. 

2015-05-15 4:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

testosterone.

To cheat.  Or to increase sex drive, just like men do.  Here's an article by the Mayo Clinic about testosterone therapy use for women.  Briefly, it's must often used to increase sex drive that's low due to surgically-induced menopause (having her ovaries removed) or after menopause for women taking estrogen therapy.

2015-05-15 4:19 PM

User image

Master

testosterone.

To cheat.  Or to increase sex drive, just like men do.  Here's an article by the Mayo Clinic about testosterone therapy use for women.  Briefly, it's must often used to increase sex drive that's low due to surgically-induced menopause (having her ovaries removed) or after menopause for women taking estrogen therapy.

Well to cheat is my first thought.  And the levels to increase sex drive--I didn't read the article yet, but I wonder if the dose would be enough to provide an advantage?  I have no idea.  

2015-05-15 4:24 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Can we forget gender identity and just compete within categories of our testosterone levels?

Let's do it!  The testing costs would be just a drop in the bucket compared to how much we already pay for gear and races.    (Just thinking about the logistics of that gives me a headache.)

Edited by laffinrock 2015-05-15 4:29 PM
2015-05-15 4:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

He looks like satan in this depiction.  All that's missing are the little horns and pitchfork.

In this courtroom sketch, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, second from left, is depicted standing with his defense attorneys William Fick, left, Judy Clarke, second from right, and David Bruck, right, as the jury presents its verdict in his federal death penalty trial Wednesday, April 8, 2015, in Boston. Tsarnaev was convicted on multiple charges in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured when twin pressure-cooker bombs exploded near the finish line.

2015-05-15 4:28 PM

User image

Seattle

testosterone.

That's kind of my point. 

Okay, so I am not just being obtuse.  .  

To me, that is just someone who is breaking the rules for an advantage?

Woah woah woah, don't go that far!

2015-05-15 4:31 PM

User image

Denver, CO

testosterone.

Well to cheat is my first thought.  And the levels to increase sex drive--I didn't read the article yet, but I wonder if the dose would be enough to provide an advantage?  I have no idea.  

Hard to say.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between testosterone level and sex drive level from what I can tell from a quick scan of the interwebs.  (I'm sure my boss is pleased I'm doing this research.  It's very (not) relevant to my job!!)

2015-05-15 4:33 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by popsracer

He looks like satan in this depiction.  All that's missing are the little horns and pitchfork.

In this courtroom sketch, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, second from left, is depicted standing with his defense attorneys William Fick, left, Judy Clarke, second from right, and David Bruck, right, as the jury presents its verdict in his federal death penalty trial Wednesday, April 8, 2015, in Boston. Tsarnaev was convicted on multiple charges in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured when twin pressure-cooker bombs exploded near the finish line.

Daa-yummm this sketch artist woke up on the wrong side of the bed this am

2015-05-15 4:33 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't really have much to add, but with the gender identity there was a pretty big thing not too long ago with Caster Semenya in the Olympics. Also saw a semi-joking thread on this elsewhere with Bruce Jenner as the subject.

And as I understand the rules for the TUE, anyone adding testosterone must get the TUE. That's why it's there since it's Therapeutic Use Exception. It's banned for everyone who can not show why they are an exception. Generally I've only seen it come up for men as they get older, in which case they will pretty much never get the TUE. Mary's husband is in a different situation, though I can't pretend to guess at the chances of getting the TUE.

Edited by brigby1 2015-05-15 4:34 PM
2015-05-15 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

testosterone.

Hard to say.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between testosterone level and sex drive level from what I can tell from a quick scan of the interwebs.  (I'm sure my boss is pleased I'm doing this research.  It's very (not) relevant to my job!!)

Doesn't your boss do some bizarre research too?

2015-05-15 4:35 PM

User image

Denver, CO

And Defense counsel looks so thrilled.

2015-05-15 4:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

And Defense counsel looks so thrilled.

They look glummer than he does.

2015-05-15 4:47 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Doesn't your boss do some bizarre research too?

Boss, not sure; coworker, definitely!  He's pulled up Captain and Tenille videos and looked at school mascot costumes.  The best he found was Mortarmer the Eutectic, thw mascot for the St. Louis College of Pharmacy.  Friday afternoons are notorious times for silly searches.

2015-05-15 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I know I'm late to the gender conversation but I was sleeping while it was going on. So here's my two cents worth.

From a physical point of view the reality is men and women are different, period. It will be rare that the top women will be able to beat the top men in a sporting event, that playing field will never be level. What should however be level is the prize for OA male and OA female, and there shouldn't be an OA prize (I don't know of any event here that actually gives one, they all separate).

Chris hinted earlier about pay (he just kinda dropped it in there and left it), this is something that has always perplexed me. I work for an organisation that pay staff based on experience, male or female if you have the same years of experience and do the same job you get the same pay (teachers in Australia are all paid this way, performance pay for teachers is a whole other can of worms that you don't want to open). I have always considered this fair.

If you (male or female) decide to take a decade off to care for your children, or go to India to find yourself, or something else you don't have the same classroom experience as someone who has worked as a teacher for those 10 years (other experience yes) so therefore you shouldn't expect the same rate of pay. It's about there being consequences for the choices that you make.

Each year our organisation completes and equal opportunity for women survey. I would say that about 75% of our workforce is female. Of our seven management positions 5 are filled by females. So we are a fairly heavily waited organisation and I think we do a pretty good job when it comes to equal opportunities.

What I found really interesting is that after we had submitted our results the government department came back and told us that we needed to improve our performance. I kinda thought what! Are you looking at the same statistics as me? It turns out that they based this entirely on the average wage for females and males within our company. What was not taken into account is that all of our teachers' aides, school secretaries, and cleaners are female. And the number of these staff is not low. They are also paid less than teachers, as they don't have the responsibilities and qualifications that teachers do. So with this in mind of course our overall average wage for females is lower than for males, because all of our males are teachers. They aren't comparing apples with apples.

Since this has happened I now take every report about equal pay with a huge grain of salt. To me the "equal pay for women" argument has always been a bit dubious and now unless you can show me you are comparing apples with apples then forget it I'm not interested.

I will now get off my soapbox too.
2015-05-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

Master
Northern IL

Stacey, I see the split like that too. I can't think of a race that didn't have both OA male and female. It's everyone else looking at results who pile things together and see one big list, including everyone.

Your work example is a very good one on where I usually try not to put much into stats that aren't explained very well. I think many tend to conflate being objective and biased. The people conducting this could very well have been objective, keeping their feelings out of it, but by not taking all things into account it most certainly was still biased as they left in a rather significant factor that shifted the results even though it wasn't a personal feeling.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15541 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28355 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66808 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55366 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.