BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-16 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2220516

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
dalessit - 2009-06-16 7:41 AM

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-15 10:40 PM
dalessit - 2009-06-15 9:14 PM I know it's almost a year away but wife and I have allready done our A race for the year so as always we get right to planning next years big race.

We are thinking of doing Lonestar 1/2, any thoughts from those that have done the race?  I thought someone here did it this year, thought it was the sprint or olypmic but basically the same race.

*raising hand and waving it like mad*  me. me. me!

C"MON DOWN TONY.  Its one of Keith's races so you know how that goes.  Its a blast! A little bit later in April next year so a little bit warmer.  Flat course but plan on some wind.  This year the 1/4 and half were on Sunday.  Next year its shortened to an OLY and is w/ the sprint on Saturday.  Crowd should be very good for both.

Hotel is on the property and you can walk to everything on the property.  You'll need a car otherwise.  Galveston itself should be in better shape next year.  We were still dealing w/ the leftovers form Ike this year.

Kiddo's... The water park, on the property, should be open next year for the race.  And its a real waterpark... not some hotel gibberish.   Plus the pyramid aquarium and rainforest. 

I give two thumbs up.

I'll be happy to put you guys up if you stay in Houston.  Just pack your drinkin' shoes and don't eat for like three weeks before you come. 

Post or pm me w/ other questions...

Does sound cool, going to be on our short list for races next year.  While my drinking shoes are not quite what they used to be I am sure once I slip them on it will all come back to meLaughing

Would be cool to hook up with some of you guys at a race or two

Sprint and OLY on Saturday then we could relay the HIM on Sunday.  This would put us in better position to hoist some Saturday night because we would only have one event instead of the entire HIM. 

Galveston is by no means the French Riveria but you could grab a beach house for a week a make a vacation out of it.

2009-06-16 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2220584

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-16 8:13 AM
dalessit - 2009-06-16 7:41 AM

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-15 10:40 PM
dalessit - 2009-06-15 9:14 PM I know it's almost a year away but wife and I have allready done our A race for the year so as always we get right to planning next years big race.

We are thinking of doing Lonestar 1/2, any thoughts from those that have done the race?  I thought someone here did it this year, thought it was the sprint or olypmic but basically the same race.

*raising hand and waving it like mad*  me. me. me!

C"MON DOWN TONY.  Its one of Keith's races so you know how that goes.  Its a blast! A little bit later in April next year so a little bit warmer.  Flat course but plan on some wind.  This year the 1/4 and half were on Sunday.  Next year its shortened to an OLY and is w/ the sprint on Saturday.  Crowd should be very good for both.

Hotel is on the property and you can walk to everything on the property.  You'll need a car otherwise.  Galveston itself should be in better shape next year.  We were still dealing w/ the leftovers form Ike this year.

Kiddo's... The water park, on the property, should be open next year for the race.  And its a real waterpark... not some hotel gibberish.   Plus the pyramid aquarium and rainforest. 

I give two thumbs up.

I'll be happy to put you guys up if you stay in Houston.  Just pack your drinkin' shoes and don't eat for like three weeks before you come. 

Post or pm me w/ other questions...

Does sound cool, going to be on our short list for races next year.  While my drinking shoes are not quite what they used to be I am sure once I slip them on it will all come back to meLaughing

Would be cool to hook up with some of you guys at a race or two

Sprint and OLY on Saturday then we could relay the HIM on Sunday.  This would put us in better position to hoist some Saturday night because we would only have one event instead of the entire HIM. 

Galveston is by no means the French Riveria but you could grab a beach house for a week a make a vacation out of it.

Tony:

What races are you considering in your area next year? The Reston Tri? National Tri? I ask because we come up that way regularly as my parents live in Rockville. Wouldn't mind joining you in a Greater DC tri if it works out planning-wise.

Doug
2009-06-16 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Dunno yet, we have never actually done Reston Olympic, it always sells out before we get our plan figured out but maybe will do that next year.

I did the Nations Tri last year as a relay and wasn't overly impressed, for 160 bucks you got to swim in the Potomac river, and the schwag and after food was probably the worst of any race I have ever done.  Will see how it goes this year and there is also the ITU race which they have an olympic at.

LOL, we tend to do local sprints and travel for longer distance races, but maybe next year we can try some of our local races.  Eagleman is out, wife and I read too many race reports that involved Jellyfish stings.

Also looking at Columbia, pretty hilly but getting used to the hills at this point.

We were also thinking about BlackFly up in NH, they have 3 days worth of racing and another KEJ race.  Friday a Time Trial, Saturday Sprint and Sunday Olympic.  They have a kids camp there so you can leave your kids for the day to play while we race.

As for heading to TX or anywhere else we figured next one we travel to we don't get there so early in the week before the race but stay later.  Hard to get much done in the days before the race as you are trying to be good about eating an drinking but after the race is over you need lots of carbs to recover right? 

There is always the Army 10 miler, Tracy is coming up for that also, going to use it as a warmup for Marine Corps Marathon this year.
2009-06-16 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2220662

User image

Elite
Raleigh
dalessit - 2009-06-16 8:40 AM Dunno yet, we have never actually done Reston Olympic, it always sells out before we get our plan figured out but maybe will do that next year.

I did the Nations Tri last year as a relay and wasn't overly impressed, for 160 bucks you got to swim in the Potomac river, and the schwag and after food was probably the worst of any race I have ever done.  Will see how it goes this year and there is also the ITU race which they have an olympic at.

LOL, we tend to do local sprints and travel for longer distance races, but maybe next year we can try some of our local races.  Eagleman is out, wife and I read too many race reports that involved Jellyfish stings.

Also looking at Columbia, pretty hilly but getting used to the hills at this point.

We were also thinking about BlackFly up in NH, they have 3 days worth of racing and another KEJ race.  Friday a Time Trial, Saturday Sprint and Sunday Olympic.  They have a kids camp there so you can leave your kids for the day to play while we race.

As for heading to TX or anywhere else we figured next one we travel to we don't get there so early in the week before the race but stay later.  Hard to get much done in the days before the race as you are trying to be good about eating an drinking but after the race is over you need lots of carbs to recover right? 

There is always the Army 10 miler, Tracy is coming up for that also, going to use it as a warmup for Marine Corps Marathon this year.

Take a look at some of the NC tris too. We have quite a few. Maybe we can get Linda and Tracy and Rob to come too. I would do Reston as I lived right down the road from there for years.
2009-06-16 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2220679

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-06-16 9:43 AM
dalessit - 2009-06-16 8:40 AM Dunno yet, we have never actually done Reston Olympic, it always sells out before we get our plan figured out but maybe will do that next year.

Take a look at some of the NC tris too. We have quite a few. Maybe we can get Linda and Tracy and Rob to come too. I would do Reston as I lived right down the road from there for years.

Good idea, NC isn't too far away.  Wife and I used to travel a lot when we were DINK's (dual income no kids) and it was almost as fun to plan our year of trips as it was to actually travel.  Finally with the tri's and kids getting a bit older we can get back to travelling again.
2009-06-16 8:56 AM

User image

Champion
Just got this in my inbox, never heard of the site before so not sure how I got the e-mail but they are having a 20% off sale if anyone is in the market for stuff.

http://www.trijungle.com/

use code: summersale

2009-06-16 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I like that the first guy out of the water from Trevor's video was wearing the F2R rental wetsuit that I'm sporting in my avatar.  Glad to see the economical option performs well.  Now if you could only rent the skills along with the suit.

Serious question.  Compression wear. Who's worn it?  How do you like it?  What are the best brands?  I'd like to try some for my marathon training in the fall and need some guidance.  I thought I might find some good sales now rather than waiting for colder weather.

BTW, I think this is the short list for my IM relay team. 

1. Terrahawk (combination of Maryland Terrapins and Kansas Jayhawks)
2. Cheaper than marriage councling
3. marriage councling
4. S.N.A.F.U.
5. WTF
6. Quadzilla and the Seaweed Monster.

2009-06-16 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2220831

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
tahrens - 2009-06-16 9:21 AM I like that the first guy out of the water from Trevor's video was wearing the F2R rental wetsuit that I'm sporting in my avatar.  Glad to see the economical option performs well.  Now if you could only rent the skills along with the suit.

Serious question.  Compression wear. Who's worn it?  How do you like it?  What are the best brands?  I'd like to try some for my marathon training in the fall and need some guidance.  I thought I might find some good sales now rather than waiting for colder weather.

3. marriage councling
4. S.N.A.F.U.
5. WTF

I wear SKINS long tights in a Youth L!  I like them a lot and know they helped me after my 100K relay. I had a problem with my first pair and the customer service was superb.

If I was big enough, I would consider a pair of tights that wrapped under your feet like Zoots.  There have been a few forum posts on the topic so you should check them out.  From what I hear size matters a lot so choose wisely.

Suzy
2009-06-16 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2220847

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2009-06-16 10:24 AM
tahrens - 2009-06-16 9:21 AM I like that the first guy out of the water from Trevor's video was wearing the F2R rental wetsuit that I'm sporting in my avatar.  Glad to see the economical option performs well.  Now if you could only rent the skills along with the suit.

3. marriage councling
4. S.N.A.F.U.
5. WTF

I wear SKINS long tights in a Youth L!  I like them a lot and know they helped me after my 100K relay. I had a problem with my first pair and the customer service was superb.

If I was big enough, I would consider a pair of tights that wrapped under your feet like Zoots.  There have been a few forum posts on the topic so you should check them out.  From what I hear size matters a lot so choose wisely.

Suzy

hehe I am such a juvenile...
2009-06-16 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Great minds think alike Embarassed
2009-06-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2220856

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2009-06-16 9:27 AM
SSMinnow - 2009-06-16 10:24 AM

3. marriage councling
4. S.N.A.F.U.
5. WTF

Suzy

hehe I am such a juvenile...

Yes, you are!  But the statement still rings true regardless of whether we are talking about compression gear or......

2009-06-16 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2009-06-16 9:21 AM

I wear Zoot (made by CEP) socks on some long runs but after all long days.  I love em'.   Just got my prego wife a pair of 2xu.   More compression in Zoot but that is not necessarily an advantage.   Also there are those that will tell you the drugstore brand X work just as well for more 1/2 the name brands charge.    

In light of soon to arrive house guests....Team name.  All Thai'd up. 
2009-06-16 10:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
So, I am still waiting on the official results from my race on Saturday.  The RD says it could take a week.  We didn't have chips, there were people standing at the exit of each leg (including transitions) with some kind of hand held thingy entering race numbers.  I don't know exactly what it was, but they used it last year also, and it was accurate.  I guess it takes a while to get all that info entered.  I can tell you that I finished third Athena, and got the medal to prove it!!!!  So, I took the plunge today and registered for my first Oly next month.  Somebody tell me I am not crazy and it will be ok??!!

Happy training!

Karen
2009-06-16 10:29 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
To all looking for destinations races--- My house is open for anyone wanting to try a race in Seattle... Lake Steven's 70.3 is still open in August !

Compression socks at first I thought were all hype... Now I think I am going to have to jump on the band wagon!  I never thought I had issues, but has of lately I have been issue's with circulation in my left calve.  I think I may have issue's finding a size to fit me though.  10.5 foot, and larger than normal calf may make things a little tricky size wise.  I don't want to cut of circulation to my legs completely .  Kim was using a couple pairs from the pharmacy and would wear them on longer runs but it was causing blisters due to the thickness of the sock.  I would stay with the "tri" brand.  Unless you were not going to work out with them on, and use them strictly for recovery.  Expensive S.O.B's they are though.

Tracy-  "Cheaper than counseling" I think is the way to go...

Karen- Way to go!  3rd place!  We have had a lot of you place this year.  I want one!  But I am no where close.  Maybe at my Olympic in July I can pull off a miracle? 
2009-06-16 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2221106

User image

Champion
marietta
swbkrun - 2009-06-16 10:29 AM
 I think I may have issue's finding a size to fit me though.  10.5 foot, and larger than normal calf may make things a little tricky size wise.  I don't want to cut of circulation to my legs completely

Zoot sizes by calf diameter.  You should be oK. 

LOOKOUT... you may come home and find me on that new deck.
2009-06-16 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey there good morning SWBKRUN'ers....
So i've got a couple of questions:
1. Someone posted a pic on this before...but I bought a aero bottle for the this weekend, and I also have my garmin mounted on a quick release. How do you have it set up?? Tracy i think maybe..not sure
2. As this is my 1st Oly....what is the biggest issue/change when it comes to making the jump? (yes, john i know the distance is doubled!!Tongue out)

2009-06-16 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2009-06-16 8:21 AM I like that the first guy out of the water from Trevor's video was wearing the F2R rental wetsuit that I'm sporting in my avatar.  Glad to see the economical option performs well.  Now if you could only rent the skills along with the suit.

3. marriage councling
4. S.N.A.F.U.
5. WTF

Do it....Quadzilla and the seaweed monster!!

Interesting posts about the compression gear as well.....Thinking with my tri shop Daddy's day gift card I may invest in some socks too.
2009-06-16 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2220976

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I wear Zoot (made by CEP) socks on some long runs but after all long days.  I love em'.   Just got my prego wife a pair of 2xu.   More compression in Zoot but that is not necessarily an advantage.   Also there are those that will tell you the drugstore brand X work just as well for more 1/2 the name brands charge.    

How about team  "Fit to be Thai'd"

Karen congrats on the podium! I bet your going crazy waiting for the official results.
2009-06-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2220988

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

gadgetlaw - 2009-06-16 10:03 AM So, I am still waiting on the official results from my race on Saturday.  The RD says it could take a week.  We didn't have chips, there were people standing at the exit of each leg (including transitions) with some kind of hand held thingy entering race numbers.  I don't know exactly what it was, but they used it last year also, and it was accurate.  I guess it takes a while to get all that info entered.  I can tell you that I finished third Athena, and got the medal to prove it!!!!  So, I took the plunge today and registered for my first Oly next month.  Somebody tell me I am not crazy and it will be ok??!!

Happy training!

Karen

Way to go Karen!  I'm impressed.  As for the oly, It will be okay, as a matter of fact it will be great!

-Andy

2009-06-16 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2221179

User image

Champion
marietta
DougRob - 2009-06-16 10:49 AM

How about team  "Fit to be Thai'd"

Karen congrats on the podium! I bet your going crazy waiting for the official results.

AWESOME!!   LMAO!!!

Congrats KAREN!!!
2009-06-16 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

OK, funny story for everyone.  As you all know, I have dropped quite a bit of weight over the last few months (30lbs).  One of my co-workers (a large-ish person) comes up to me yesterday and says.  "Man, you look great.  You've lost a lot of weight.  What diet are you on?"  To which I reply, "I watch what I eat and I workout more.  I ran 3 miles before work today, swam a mile at lunch, and am riding my bike 63 miles on Saturday..."  The response I got was a "Oh?"  I think she was hoping it was an easy diet of tomatoes and cucumbers or something...  No, not really!

2009-06-16 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2221129

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-16 11:35 AM Hey there good morning SWBKRUN'ers....
1. Someone posted a pic on this before...but I bought a aero bottle for the this weekend, and I also have my garmin mounted on a quick release. How do you have it set up?? Tracy i think maybe..not sure
2. As this is my 1st Oly....what is the biggest issue/change when it comes to making the jump? (yes, john i know the distance is doubled!!Tongue out)

As far as the difference between the Sprint and Oly IMO there isn't too much difference really other than the total distance.  Usually if you can hold that speed for a sprint it isn't too much to take it to the Oly.  Transitions should still be pretty quick, no changing or special needs bags.  Still don't need a ton of nutrition/drink in Oly just as in Sprint.

From the sprints I have done the biggest difference is in the swim length, max sprint swim I have done is 750M, most are in the 300-400M range for pools.

Bike courses in sprints I have done have ranged from 12 - 19 miles where an olympic is only 26ish

Run is always the same 5k for sprint 10k for olympic so you go from 2.1 miles to 6.2ish miles.

This is how I did it.  It is for my powertap but you could put the garmin quick release on there as well.  Just small piece of PVC painted black, drilled 2 holes in it and used some zip ties to fasten.7

2009-06-16 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2221205

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
ashort33 - 2009-06-16 9:56 AM

OK, funny story for everyone.  As you all know, I have dropped quite a bit of weight over the last few months (30lbs).  One of my co-workers (a large-ish person) comes up to me yesterday and says.  "Man, you look great.  You've lost a lot of weight.  What diet are you on?"  To which I reply, "I watch what I eat and I workout more.  I ran 3 miles before work today, swam a mile at lunch, and am riding my bike 63 miles on Saturday..."  The response I got was a "Oh?"  I think she was hoping it was an easy diet of tomatoes and cucumbers or something...  No, not really!

X2 ..thats funny. I get that alot as well. My Mother still asks me "how my diet is going". When you sit back and think about it, there are a few of us here that used to be like 'her.'9your co-worker)....Dude, I did atkins a few years agao and lost 30lbs in less than two months eating beef jerkey and cheese for breakfast!! You soon realize there is no easy way to do it.
Then you work your butt off to lose it, and find this amazing new obsession. Expensive obsession, but obsession none the less. And it's a pretty neat way to meet people from all over the place. Better than an "obsessive eaters" support group I say!
2009-06-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2221224

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
dalessit - 2009-06-16 10:01 AM
TrevorC - 2009-06-16 11:35 AM Hey there good morning SWBKRUN'ers....

As far as the difference between the Sprint and Oly IMO there isn't too much difference really other than the total distance.  Usually if you can hold that speed for a sprint it isn't too much to take it to the Oly.  Transitions should still be pretty quick, no changing or special needs bags.  Still don't need a ton of nutrition/drink in Oly just as in Sprint.

From the sprints I have done the biggest difference is in the swim length, max sprint swim I have done is 750M, most are in the 300-400M range for pools.

Bike courses in sprints I have done have ranged from 12 - 19 miles where an olympic is only 26ish

Run is always the same 5k for sprint 10k for olympic so you go from 2.1 miles to 6.2ish miles.

This is how I did it.  It is for my powertap but you could put the garmin quick release on there as well.  Just small piece of PVC painted black, drilled 2 holes in it and used some zip ties to fasten.7

Okay dumb question....Why is the straw on the far side and not the near hole?
2009-06-16 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2221244

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-06-16 12:05 PM
Okay dumb question....Why is the straw on the far side and not the near hole?

Because when aero the back hole in the bottle isn't near my mouth. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383