BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-10 9:15 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
Loved the weekly accountability here - thanks everyone! Going to post this week's plan just to keep on keeping on.

M - 16 min run; 10lb slim down - total body blast
Tu - 32 min run; 10lb sd - lower body
W - 16 min run; 10lb sd -  upper body & core
Th - 32 min run; 10 lb sd - total body blast
F - no run; 10lb SD - yoga
Sa - 16 min run; no weights
Su - 48 min run; no weights

Also appreciate the music feedback. I had thought most people wouldn't be doing music to be more in tune with the bodies but it seems like most people find a good balance. I might try to listen to it a few runs a week to help keep my interest up. Started with tonight...but that resulted in me almost getting hit by two cars - ok the 2nd one wasn't my fault at all so that's not mp3 related - but the first one I wasn't paying as much attention and forgot a 2 way stop intersection wasn't a 4 way stop (as most of them are on my runs). No harm done fortunately, other than feeling like an idiot and being called one by said driver.

Yall have had awesome weeks - don't beat yourself too much over missed days. We all have very aggressive goals in mind Hello, kettle? It's your friend, pot.

2011-01-10 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3290997

User image

GoGoGo - 2011-01-10 6:06 PM Well, I continued my journey into Slackard-dom today...

Knee swollen after run yesterday.  Had an MRI today...severe arthritis.  Nothing surgical.  Gotta wait for it to settle.  1 week? 2 weeks? 1 month? 6 months?  Who knows.

Cycling doesn't seem to bother it much, sooo, time to cycle.  Time to harden my softie-butt!!

Been thru this before with various injuries...nothing new...

Gotta say, not looking forward to it though...I like running Undecided 

R

i'm really disappointed in you - i was hoping for a braggery picture war between you and bigDH over the winter.
2011-01-10 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3289694

User image

debbiereid06 - 2011-01-10 10:50 AM

Kristen8040 - 2011-01-09 10:00 PM Hey all, hope you had a great weekend!  On Friday I did a 45 min. run at the gym and abs.  I was planning on going to my parents the next morning but because we were supposed to get snow I decided to leave that night, it's a 2 hour drive.  As a result I wasn't really in the mood to run Sat. morning, I had a weight watchers meeting, lost 2lbs and then did 1.5mi on the treadmill and some bicep and ab work.  Sunday I came back home and had picked up some boxing gloves (pink of course) and hitting mitts for my FI to wear since he's been working with me on lifting.  We got a boxing cardio session in and then worked on tris and chest!

BTW I've been updating my logs for the past week! 

yea!  a fellow weight watcher!  I just started again last week and weigh in tomorrow.  I am totally loving the new points plus program...free fruit!!  Way to go on the 2lb lose!

ditto! 1000 bananas all day every day.
2011-01-11 8:04 AM

User image

Upstate NY
It is so hard to get out of my bed to go swimming when my training hasn't "officially" started!  

Hit the snooze this morning and said I would do it at lunch, but luckily a friend emailed me while I was sleeping asking me to swim, so I got it done this morning.  Nice! 

Have a great week everyone! 
2011-01-11 8:27 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
yawn,

So another chilly day. High of -17c. Brrrrrrr
2011-01-11 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3291903

User image

Pro
Houston
RobbyN210 - 2011-01-11 8:04 AM It is so hard to get out of my bed to go swimming when my training hasn't "officially" started!  

Hit the snooze this morning and said I would do it at lunch, but luckily a friend emailed me while I was sleeping asking me to swim, so I got it done this morning.  Nice! 

Good for you!

My regular pool is outside.  It is heated but when the temp is 45 or below they close it, really sucks.  There is another pool I use on Tues and Thurs it is indoor/outdoor and I don't like swimming there because the pool is only 17 yards long and it is a pool designed for well, not swimming so they keep it around 88 degrees!  I missed my swim last night because my pool was closed.  I called the short pool today to check to see if they had the same policy (both YMCAs) and they said it would be open.  Not sure I'm happy about that but I will be swimming in circles today getting dizzy and hot on the coldest day of the year for us Houstonians - 29 degrees!

2011-01-11 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3292198

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 8:39 AM

RobbyN210 - 2011-01-11 8:04 AM It is so hard to get out of my bed to go swimming when my training hasn't "officially" started!  

Good for you!

My regular pool is outside.  It is heated but when the temp is 45 or below they close it, really sucks.  There is another pool I use on Tues and Thurs it is indoor/outdoor and I don't like swimming there because the pool is only 17 yards long and it is a pool designed for well, not swimming so they keep it around 88 degrees!  I missed my swim last night because my pool was closed.  I called the short pool today to check to see if they had the same policy (both YMCAs) and they said it would be open.  Not sure I'm happy about that but I will be swimming in circles today getting dizzy and hot on the coldest day of the year for us Houstonians - 29 degrees!

So jealous of being able to swim outside. Do you have to put sunscreen on for that or is the pool covered?
2011-01-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3291903

User image

Champion
Calgary
RobbyN210 - 2011-01-11 7:04 AM

It is so hard to get out of my bed to go swimming when my training hasn't "officially" started!  

Good work, the snooze button surely is an enemy.
2011-01-11 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
well got out there for another 11k.

Picked up a Holter Monitor today. Have been having heart palpitations so figured better safe than sorry huh. Went for the run with it on so will be interesting to see the data on that.
2011-01-11 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3292947

User image

Pro
Houston
BigDH - 2011-01-11 2:10 PM

Good for you!

So jealous of being able to swim outside. Do you have to put sunscreen on for that or is the pool covered?

The one that closes at 45 degrees is not covered so yes, I have to put on sunscreen most of the year unless I am there early or late.
Unfortunately, when I got to the short pool today I realized I didn't have my swim suit
The only good news is I went to Academy (sporting goods store) and scored TWO Speedo suits for $4.88 each.  I'm guessing a swim team bought them last season and recently returned them.  There were only the two but both were my size!!!  But I didn't have time to get back to the pool to get my swim in before it closed.  My usual pool closes 12-4 and othe short one closes 1-4.
2011-01-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3293231

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-01-11 3:10 PM

BigDH - 2011-01-11 2:10 PM

Good for you!

The one that closes at 45 degrees is not covered so yes, I have to put on sunscreen most of the year unless I am there early or late.
Unfortunately, when I got to the short pool today I realized I didn't have my swim suit
The only good news is I went to Academy (sporting goods store) and scored TWO Speedo suits for $4.88 each.  I'm guessing a swim team bought them last season and recently returned them.  There were only the two but both were my size!!!  But I didn't have time to get back to the pool to get my swim in before it closed.  My usual pool closes 12-4 and othe short one closes 1-4.

That is always sweet when you can pick up cheap equipment. Problem always is buying too much of it and having no where to keep it and then your spouse is like, throw out your old shoes you have 3 boxes of new ones, and you are like, no, they are still good. Ha. Good times.

2011-01-11 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
woot, woot!!  Lost 3 lbs this week!  So excited and motivated to keep it up and going.  Had a great run today and enjoyed the day home even tho my little girl is still feeling bad.
2011-01-11 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3293714

User image

debbiereid06 - 2011-01-11 9:53 PMwoot, woot!!  Lost 3 lbs this week!  So excited and motivated to keep it up and going.  Had a great run today and enjoyed the day home even tho my little girl is still feeling bad.
Congrats!! That must feel awesome! Tuesday your weigh in day?
2011-01-11 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3289575

User image

Memphis
JosieO - 2011-01-10 9:09 AM First off, can I tell you all thank you?  Thank you for checking my logs, thank you for sharing your insight, thank you for the conversation!  And thank you so much for the inspires.  I have not figured out how to inspire you yet, but I truly look foward to reading them everyday. 

Anyway, on to less mushy stuff.  I do love love love my ipod.  I sometimes hear one of my songs on the radio and it makes me want to go out and run.  That said, sometimes a musicless break is nice.  A time to concentrate on form and speed.

My new Dolfin swimming suit came today!  I would totally be on my way to the YMCA if school wasn't cancelled for the crazy amount of snow on the ground.  Bleh.

Josie, where are you located? We've had school out for the last two days due to snow, as well. I need a new suit - where did you order yours from?

Mylissa
2011-01-11 11:28 PM

User image

Memphis
Crummy day - can I complain?

OK friends - need your encouragement. Took the day off yesterday - gym closed, snow on ground. Halfway through day (had run 3m around 9am previous day) my lower back began getting sore. This has happened quite a bit over the past 3 years, typically on off days, even though I do 2-3 sessions (sometimes more) of core work a week. Was finally able to get to the gym late today, and did the 45m bike and ran, couldn't really figure out distance cause I was on a track. Generally felt tired and heavy and slow the whole workout today - gross. Also - I don't understand this either - I'm not really dropping weight like I would think I should. Usually if I'm working out 3-4 times a week, typically 2 cardio 2 strength, I start dropping right away. I only want to lose about 5 lbs, standing at or near 130 and 5'4". I really dont think I'm overeating for the amount of cardio I am putting in. Really hoping for a better day with a swim tomorrow. I'd love it f you have any thoughts or helpful ideas!
2011-01-12 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Hi All! Looks like you're keeping at it! Just what I like to see! I am back from my visit to the in-laws ... unfortunately there was not a computer to be found the whole time I was away. But it does look like you're keeping up the good work.

I'll check in with each of you over the day today and get caught up on the thread - i like to take 10 minute breaks and check in.

2011-01-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3293869

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-12 12:28 AM Crummy day - can I complain?

OK friends - need your encouragement. Took the day off yesterday - gym closed, snow on ground. Halfway through day (had run 3m around 9am previous day) my lower back began getting sore. This has happened quite a bit over the past 3 years, typically on off days, even though I do 2-3 sessions (sometimes more) of core work a week. Was finally able to get to the gym late today, and did the 45m bike and ran, couldn't really figure out distance cause I was on a track. Generally felt tired and heavy and slow the whole workout today - gross. Also - I don't understand this either - I'm not really dropping weight like I would think I should. Usually if I'm working out 3-4 times a week, typically 2 cardio 2 strength, I start dropping right away. I only want to lose about 5 lbs, standing at or near 130 and 5'4". I really dont think I'm overeating for the amount of cardio I am putting in. Really hoping for a better day with a swim tomorrow. I'd love it f you have any thoughts or helpful ideas!

Hey - we all have days like this!  Sometimes it just seems like our bodies won't cooperate and a little rest goes a long way.  You are doing good things for yourself but you know, I think sometimes we forget that the other stress in our lives gets in there too.  Hopefully you have one of those days where it wall comes together today.
2011-01-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3293805

User image

Veteran
Osfan4life - 2011-01-11 10:05 PM
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-11 9:53 PMwoot, woot!!  Lost 3 lbs this week!  So excited and motivated to keep it up and going.  Had a great run today and enjoyed the day home even tho my little girl is still feeling bad.
Congrats!! That must feel awesome! Tuesday your weigh in day?

Yes, I weigh in on Tuesdays.
2011-01-12 11:30 AM

User image

New user
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-10 9:53 PM woot, woot!!  Lost 3 lbs this week!  So excited and motivated to keep it up and going.  Had a great run today and enjoyed the day home even tho my little girl is still feeling bad.

YAYY!! That's awesome!! I love weighing in on Saturday mornings since it's such a motivating factor to workout the rest of the day.  Keep it up! 
2011-01-12 11:33 AM

User image

New user
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-11 12:28 AM Crummy day - can I complain?

Here's the thing, and this might not work for everybody, but when I have one of these crappy days, which trust me I do every few weeks.  I just stop.  Do not force yourself to have a miserable time working out.  Chalk it up to a loss and start over the next day.

In regards to weight, since you're close to the lower end of the healthy range for your height (150-125) it's going to take longer for it to come off.  I have about 6 more lbs to lose and it's taken me over 2 months!  Just be patient! 
2011-01-12 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3294826

User image

Memphis
Kristen8040 - 2011-01-12 11:33 AM
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-11 12:28 AM Crummy day - can I complain?

Here's the thing, and this might not work for everybody, but when I have one of these crappy days, which trust me I do every few weeks.  I just stop.  Do not force yourself to have a miserable time working out.  Chalk it up to a loss and start over the next day.

In regards to weight, since you're close to the lower end of the healthy range for your height (150-125) it's going to take longer for it to come off.  I have about 6 more lbs to lose and it's taken me over 2 months!  Just be patient! 

Thank you Kristen! I mainly just want my muscle tone back...I miss being strong - I had slacked off a bit. I know I contradict myself because that will come with WEIGHT training, not necessarily cardio, haha...we'll see!! Thank you for the encouragement. I will do just 30 mins in the pool today, likely slow...I think its a zone 1 day in the pool. That should help me overall to relax and work out the kinks. Will let you guys know how it goes!!

2011-01-12 1:58 PM

User image

New user

North Myrtle Beach, SC
Sometimes when I have a rough day and am feeling frustrated with myself, my workouts, my body, whatever, I just do something silly to excercise. It can be playing a game of tag with some kids or dancing around all crazy or whatever you find fun. It might not be the most challenging workout, but it helps get rid of the stress and frustration and makes you enjoy working out again.
2011-01-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3294104

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-01-12 6:48 AM

Hi All! Looks like you're keeping at it! Just what I like to see! I am back from my visit to the in-laws ... unfortunately there was not a computer to be found the whole time I was away. But it does look like you're keeping up the good work.

I'll check in with each of you over the day today and get caught up on the thread - i like to take 10 minute breaks and check in.

Welcome back. Darn inlaws getting between you and your BTing.
2011-01-12 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-11 10:28 PM

Crummy day - can I complain?

I think you did the right thing. Try to get the workout in, if it works (and for me it usually does) then great. If it doesn't then don't push through an injury.

For me, I find that after the honeymoon phase of a training program the amount of disappointing workouts increases. For me, this means that I am working out too hard and/or not getting enough rest. Whenever it happens that my workout sucks (which I would say is about 20 percent of the time) I go back in my mind to the reason I started doing this, it wasn't to be fast, or lose weight, it was to be active and live longer and be happier. If I am out there for 20 mins I figure I have accomplished my main goal.

I would also add that on the rare occasions when I really do not want to workout, I would say maybe 5 percent of the time, some of those workouts are absolutely awesome almost breakthrough workouts. There are days when I haven't got enough sleep, work sucks, I had a fight with my wife and lunch comes around and all I want to do is tuck into some great big Thai buffet. But I drag my sorry a$$ out with the promise that I only have to do 20 minutes and come back in. On some of those days I feel like I am flying.
2011-01-12 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Had a good workout today. Only had an hour so I knew I wouldn't get my 11k in without risking serious injury. Decided to do a temp run for the first time in over 2 months. Only 5 k at my HM pace but it felt good. And I stopped at 5k even though I still felt good. Jogged another 5 k. First time I have done a temp run and stopped with gas in the tank which was interesting. I always keep going until I fall over exhausted, which ruins me for the rest of the week, so kind of proud of myself here.

I wanted to holdout on doing any tempo or speed work until I solidified at about 77k a week, so going to take it slow with it. Try another one next week of 6k, if I still manage to get 77k in this week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35