General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2011-11-29 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3919202

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
playmobil31 - 2011-11-29 1:43 PM
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-11-29 2:39 PM 

Awesome to hear!
I currently train with Toronto Triathlon Club at the moment.  Who do you train with in regards to swimming? 

Ayesha Rollinson got a master swim class running twice a week and is less crowded than TTC

Otherwise, I'm training with Nigel Gray.

Well, I'm training... This is officially my 1st day of training (after a bad crash...) with him... and my 1st official Training day for Lake Placid

Excited !!!

Ayesha is a great mentor.  I had her for one day and shes very knowlegable.
I know a couple friend training with Nigel perhaps you may know them.
Ive made good friends with TTC group and plus they its convinient with my time  

2011-11-30 2:40 AM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Veteran

I need help some ideas adjusting with Don Fink's Training plan.
Don Fink suggests that I should do a half ironman 8 weeks away from IMLP but the closest HIM I have is 4 weeks away from IMLP. 

So I came up with this:  Start four weeks earlier and finish up to week 26 of the plan before HIM.  Do the HIM.  Follow the recovery week as per plan.  Then Taper.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

2011-11-30 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3919978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-11-30 3:40 AM

Don Fink suggests that I should do a half ironman 8 weeks away from IMLP but the closest HIM I have is 4 weeks away from IMLP. 

So I came up with this:  Start four weeks earlier and finish up to week 26 of the plan before HIM.  Do the HIM.  Follow the recovery week as per plan.  Then Taper.

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

I would say it is just a suggestion. It is not mandatory to do a HIM before an IM. advisable but not mandatory.

4 weeks is very short from the race and you want to be careful at this point. What give you the more benefits, a HIM or your last big workouts ?

If you really want to do a HIM before, you can also explore the possibility of doing one further south in the 6 to 8 weeks range. I know you can find plenty of possibilities:

- REV3 Quassy, June 2

- Rev3 Knoxville, May 6

- HITS Hunter Mountain, NY, June 9/10

- 70.3 Orlando, May 20

- 70.3 Mooseman, NH, June 3

- 70.3 Eagleman, June 10

But, in the end, if you really want to do a HIM 4 weeks before, then your plan sounds OK.

And by the way, I'm doing a HIM 4 weeks before also...

Cheers

2011-11-30 7:37 AM

User image

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

I don't know your history.  How many Ironmans have you done prior? 

Unless you have a lot of long course triathlon experience and are in exceptional SBR shape, I would not suggest a 70.3 a month out.  Usually better to complete a 70.3 two to three months out, allow a week for Recovery, and then enter another build period of training.  One month out your Long Bike Ride should be a lot longer than 56 miles.  Same thing with the Swim and Run; you'd be better prepared for your Ironman to do individual SBR training sessions that are longer than the individual 70.3 distances (the Swim and Bike especially) at an Ironman Training Pace; whereas you'll be racing the 70.3 so the paces may be faster than your target Ironman pacing. 

In other words, the Fink plan will have you doing more Ironman-specific training exactly one-month out (Peak Period) which will pay better dividends at LP than a 70.3 race 4 weeks out. 

2011-11-30 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3920112

User image

playmobil31 - 2011-11-30 8:18 AM

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

I would say it is just a suggestion. It is not mandatory to do a HIM before an IM. advisable but not mandatory.

4 weeks is very short from the race and you want to be careful at this point. What give you the more benefits, a HIM or your last big workouts ?

If you really want to do a HIM before, you can also explore the possibility of doing one further south in the 6 to 8 weeks range. I know you can find plenty of possibilities:

- REV3 Quassy, June 2

- Rev3 Knoxville, May 6

- HITS Hunter Mountain, NY, June 9/10

- 70.3 Orlando, May 20

- 70.3 Mooseman, NH, June 3

- 70.3 Eagleman, June 10

But, in the end, if you really want to do a HIM 4 weeks before, then your plan sounds OK.

And by the way, I'm doing a HIM 4 weeks before also...

Cheers

X2.  Lots of people don't do a HIM and do very well.  Also check the tri schedules there are lots of smaller, obscure half Ironmans in late April, early May from PA to NY. 

For me, I do enjoy doing shorter triathlons early in the season cause they help me blow off the dust and rust.  Sprints and Oly's are great because you can train right through them.  You can use them as a speed session.  And they allow you to practice transition and open water swimming. 

2011-11-30 7:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Vermont

Does this sound right?

Thanks!

I use Fink's plan as well, and I have to say that I adjust it quite a bit. I am probably not the model that you should follow though. I look at it this way. Life is busy and you need to remain flexible with your training throughout the 30 week plan. You will likely hit bumps in the road throughout your training. You will need to move things around. I like to look at the plan as a suggested training plan and modify it from there. Thus to your question about a 70.3 4 weeks out. I have raced in the Tupper Lake Tinman, which is typically 4 weeks before LP, on several occasions. There are lots of folks there using this race as a tune up for LP. There are a number of things to consider though as Dream Chaser mentions. What is your race experience? How long have you been training? How many 70.3's have you done and how quickly do you recover? Can you race 4 weeks prior and use it as a long training day (call it a B race) or will you have to go all out? How important will it be for you to be totally fresh for LP? In other words, what are your goals for LP?

Just because Fink suggests a 70.3 8 weeks out does not mean that you need to do one. I use to run a marathon in late May and it took away from my tri training so I stopped doing this. I realized that I did not need to run one prior to LP to prove that I could do it. You may decide that you do not need to do a 70.3 to complete an IM event or you might find that from a confidence perspective that you need to complete a 70.3 to ready yourself for LP.

In short, there is no one size fits all. You have to do what you think is best for you.

Food for thought!

2011-11-30 8:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-11-30 10:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

Hey folks,

for those of you having a computrainer at home.

If that could help, I'm selling the DVD of Lake Placid in the classifieds section.

I bought it because I had a computrainer at home and wanted to prepare for Lake Placid, but now I sold my CT, then I don't need the DVD anymore

Happy Wednesday training everybody !

2011-11-30 2:52 PM

Veteran

Hey guys

thanks for all of your feedback.  As for my triathlon experience, lake placid is my 5th triathlon.  Ive been bitten by the ironman bug and decided to sign up for LP.  Ive done Muskoka HIM and I learned a lot out of it!  First my biking sucks then my run sucks cause my biking sucked.  Second of all my nutritions were too much therefore I was bloated!  These are the things I want to try out before going out to LP.  My plan in HIM is to run my LP race pace (Zone 2 HR as suggested by Don Fink) and test out my nutrition.  The course (welland half) is known to be a very flat bike ride and flat run.  Swim start is 5 secs interval so I dont really benefit much on experiencing a mass start before hand but my plan is get my cousin to beat me with pool noodle as I swim along the pool.

Driving very far from where I am is not very much an option (although I love to travel) cause 1. Im broke! who knew Ironman can be so costly! lol and 2. vacation time at work just doesnt allow it.  So I'd like to take advantage of whats available for me nearby.

Coming off from marathon and Muskoka ironman this year, my recovery has been real fast.  2days after the even im surprised to find myself running or biking again.

2011-11-30 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3920921

Extreme Veteran

Looks like we have the same profile.

I've done Muskoka this year and loved it but it was tough!!

I'm doing Tremblant the same week end as Welland to try to get the benefit of the hills.

I liked your idea about your cousin Other wise, I'm sure the TTC swim group will do some mass start exercise.

2011-11-30 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3920112

Veteran
Canton, CT
Playmobile, this year you also have the option for the Syracuse HIM. It was moved to June 2nd and is only about 4 hours from you in TO. I did the Cuse last year and liked it very much. I'll be doing the Quassy Rev 3 this year for my HIM warm up to LP and it's on the same day. Best of luck.

2011-12-02 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3921347

Extreme Veteran

Yes, I forgot Syracuse, thanks.

But, for me, Syracuse is a no go this year. It is the same day as my wife's birthday and I will have a very hard time to justify...

2011-12-02 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3923714

playmobil31 - 2011-12-02 1:34 PM

But, for me, Syracuse is a no go this year. It is the same day as my wife's birthday and I will have a very hard time to justify...

What, Syracuse isn't a romantic birthday vacation destination?

2011-12-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3923830

Master
...at home in The ATL
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-02 2:45 PM

Seriously!

Last year my wife and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary in Lake Placid. I raced, she didn't. We found it to be so "romantic," that next year we are celebrating our 15th by BOTH racing IMLP!

How 'bout that for romance?!?

2011-12-02 9:19 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario
Hi Toronto peeps, I'm just down the 401 near Kingston Are any of you doing Around the Bay?Agreed with those that said the climb to Keene and to Wilmington are the worst. I hate the Wilmington Climb actually. But there are many out there that mentally find the Bears the worst.
2011-12-04 1:42 AM
in reply to: #3921020

Veteran
playmobil31 - 2011-11-30 4:01 PM

I'm doing Tremblant the same week end as Welland to try to get the benefit of the hills.

I liked your idea about your cousin Other wise, I'm sure the TTC swim group will do some mass start exercise.

Muskoka was indeed tough!  The only thing that was only flat was the swim!  Even your way to T1 was hilly! haha.  Honestly though, after 2km of biking my ankles were sore and stayed sore for the rest of the 94k.  Hey do you remember how painful it was to climb that mountain at 72.5k? lol

I had Mt. Tremblant as an option but I decided to take it in easy, after all this will be just my a dress rehearsal for my nutrition andI also want to recover faster so no hills for me up until LP! 

TTC had some good mass start in the pool last season and OWS in cherry beach, I definitely took advantage on some of those. 

2011-12-04 1:44 AM
in reply to: #3924368

Veteran

keepitup - 2011-12-02 9:19 PM Hi Toronto peeps, I'm just down the 401 near Kingston Are any of you doing Around the Bay?Agreed with those that said the climb to Keene and to Wilmington are the worst. I hate the Wilmington Climb actually. But there are many out there that mentally find the Bears the worst.

I wanted to sign up this year but when I decided that I'd run the around the bay the registration was full  
This year Im only going to be doing half marathons, either grimsby or chilly half and goodlife half ( I did the full last year, it was fun!).

2011-12-04 1:48 AM
in reply to: #3923987

Veteran
TankBoy - 2011-12-02 3:17 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-02 2:45 PM

Seriously!

Last year my wife and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary in Lake Placid. I raced, she didn't. We found it to be so "romantic," that next year we are celebrating our 15th by BOTH racing IMLP!

How 'bout that for romance?!?

Howd you guys make your wife do that?
I told mine that we'd go on vacation to places where I race and she said no.  She was worried Ill be all training once we get to the place.  and No she doesnt know how taper works lol

2011-12-04 1:51 AM
in reply to: #3920237

Veteran
newyorkfan21 - 2011-11-30 8:11 AM

Anyone planning on doing a Ironman Lake Placid ride months before the race this year?  I am looking to ride with a group or someone who want to train a day or a weekend out there.  

IMLP 2012

hey Im signed up with endurancenation for a 4days camp in june 7 8 9 10 weekend.  Its $99 plus your hotel.

It says in their website that they ride the full course.  If your interested in that

2011-12-04 2:00 AM

Veteran

Some advice with the nutrition please.
When I did my half ironman muskoka, I took in powerbar gel every 20mins a sip of heed (finished 3 bottles) and sip of water (finished 3 bottles) 3:55hrs later I was bloated and havent peed.  My mood was good, keeping out the negative thoughts and energy remains the same.  My quads on the other hand were sore and cramping that I could barely get off the bike in transition.  I did the same fo the run gel every 20mins and half a cup of water every aid station.  At the end of the whole race, I was really bloated that literally I could not see my toes!  I was peeing a couple of times in the run (never wearing one piece tri suit again!) but didnt really reduce my bloatedness.

so my questions are:  What nutrition should I take?  Right now I have gels, heed, gatorade and water (which one should I get rid of). and How do I take it in sequence?  Gel then water? or heed and water?  or drop the heed and go with gel water gatorade combo?

Thanks guys!

2011-12-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3925259

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-04 3:00 AM

Some advice with the nutrition please.
When I did my half ironman muskoka, I took in powerbar gel every 20mins a sip of heed (finished 3 bottles) and sip of water (finished 3 bottles) 3:55hrs later I was bloated and havent peed.  My mood was good, keeping out the negative thoughts and energy remains the same.  My quads on the other hand were sore and cramping that I could barely get off the bike in transition.  I did the same fo the run gel every 20mins and half a cup of water every aid station.  At the end of the whole race, I was really bloated that literally I could not see my toes!  I was peeing a couple of times in the run (never wearing one piece tri suit again!) but didnt really reduce my bloatedness.

so my questions are:  What nutrition should I take?  Right now I have gels, heed, gatorade and water (which one should I get rid of). and How do I take it in sequence?  Gel then water? or heed and water?  or drop the heed and go with gel water gatorade combo?

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you are taking into too much sodium and that's causing the water retention.  The Powerbar gels are 200mg of sodium.  It's suggested on the Powerbar package to take them every 20 to 45 mins; I take them every 45 mins to an hour.  Every 20 mins I think is a bit much.  So I would start by cutting your gel consumption by 50%. 

I've also had similar situations 70.3's and Lake Placid last year where I took in A LOT of fluid but didn't pee.  I've come to the conclusion it's from taking in too much sugar and electrolytes.  Sugar from sports drinks and sports bar, coupled with the salts from the drinks, bars, and gels; and because of this the water collects in the gut causing bloating and causing us not too pee.  So the changes I am going to make is upping my water intake and lowering my sugar and salt intake.  We also start the race with a lot of salts in our body, so often times the body doesn't need the abundance of electrolytes until we are several hours deep into the event, meanwhile we are shoving a lot of salt in right from the start.  But every athelete is different.  I know athletes who take in 1,000 mg of sodium an hour.  I tried this at a 70.3 once and I got so nauseous, my mouth tasted like saltwater and I almost DNF'd. 

An EXCELLENT way to test your nutrition is BRICK training.  

So between the them and the gatorade you 

2011-12-04 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3925255

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-04 2:42 AM
playmobil31 - 2011-11-30 4:01 PM

Muskoka was indeed tough!  The only thing that was only flat was the swim!  Even your way to T1 was hilly! haha.  Honestly though, after 2km of biking my ankles were sore and stayed sore for the rest of the 94k.  Hey do you remember how painful it was to climb that mountain at 72.5k? lol

I had Mt. Tremblant as an option but I decided to take it in easy, after all this will be just my a dress rehearsal for my nutrition andI also want to recover faster so no hills for me up until LP! 

TTC had some good mass start in the pool last season and OWS in cherry beach, I definitely took advantage on some of those. 

Have you had a bike fit?  I'm going to hazard a guess that this may be due to improper cycling form or a poor bike fit. 

I've heard and experienced a sore neck from being in aero, sore quads, sore lower back, and a sore butt from sitting in a saddle too long; but never sore ankles.  I'm assuming you have clip-in shoes? 

Also, how is your heel position when you pedal.  Are your feet flat are are you severely pointing your toes down? 

2011-12-04 3:57 PM

Veteran
Canton, CT
Please let me know where you are in training now. It is the begining of December so 8 months to go till race time. I did my first official brick today and plan them from now on - more or less. Has everyone started? Am I early or late? I'm in shape and basically did an Oly length bike and run today. I'm choosing to coach myself through this so I'm looking for help from fellow beginner racers.
2011-12-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3925655

Major BC - 2011-12-04 4:57 PM Please let me know where you are in training now. It is the begining of December so 8 months to go till race time. I did my first official brick today and plan them from now on - more or less. Has everyone started? Am I early or late? I'm in shape and basically did an Oly length bike and run today. I'm choosing to coach myself through this so I'm looking for help from fellow beginner racers.

I'm starting Fink's Be-Iron Fit 30-week on December 26th.  Until then I'm going to avg between 6 & 8 hours a week.  Focus from now till end of February is lose weight, strength train, cycling strength on the trainer, maintain swim and run.  Just remember, you can only carry your highest level of fitness for a short, fixed time.  Save all the heavy endurance for May, June and July.   Right now we should be building a solid base/foundation upon which to stack our Spring training and early Summer Peak build on top of. 

General rule of thumb, from hear on out, try and swim 3X a week; bike 3X per week; run 3X per week.  If you have to let one slide, let it be your limiter or the swim. 

2011-12-04 6:53 PM

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

I am also following Fink's 30 week plan.  So, Tuesday December 27th is when my official training starts (Monday is a rest day for me).  I have only run twice since October 16th (injury) and will probably not start running again until then.  I'm not doing much right now really, some swimming and spin classes is all.

My last three IM training years I did a 20 week (IMWI), 24 week (IMFL) & 24 week (IMLOU).  So, no, you are not behind.  Lot's of people won't even begin (official training) until February (24 week) or even March (20 week).  It just depends on what you like.

I chose to go with the 30 week plan this year because of my nagging injuries.  I'm hopeful that starting earlier, and building more gradually, will help me stay injury free come race day.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148